Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Has there ever been a society that's developed without music?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Is it even possible?

vikoros

vikoros
Ninja
Ninja

I would guess that Atlantis or perhaps a deep space colony with no atmosphere would have to fit your requirements.

Also... being from Oklahoma, I would say that Texans and Oklahomans have developed their backwater culture without true "music" since country is more akin to the lamentations of a dying kreetle.

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I had no requirements, just a couple of questions!

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

vikoros wrote:I would say that Texans and Oklahomans have developed their backwater culture without true "music" since country is more akin to the lamentations of a dying kreetle.

Um...with all due respect, up yours. First of all, I take offense at the idea that Texas and Oklahoma are some place where culture has passed us by. I point you at the vibrant and thriving music community in Austin, to our many museums and concert halls, to any number of 'high culture' events that are sponsored across the state. Just because we're run by idiots doesn't mean that we're all nose-picking savages who want to jump on the nearest cousin and hump 'em. My culture is not 'back-water' because I'm from Texas.

But, out of curiosity, why aren't hateful things like that said about Virginia, or the Carolinas, or Tennessee, where true ignorance comes to the forefront on an alarmingly regular basis? Are Texas and Oklahoma just easier targets for uninformed Yankees trying to make a clever point about Southern ignorance?

Finally, without country music (which started as American regional folk music), we wouldn't have blues, or jazz, or rock and roll. Wink

Gandicles

Gandicles
Ninja
Ninja

superdoug wrote:

Finally, without country music (which started as American regional folk music), we wouldn't have blues, or jazz, or rock and roll. Wink

And without Nirvana, we wouldn't have the Foo Fighters or Queens of the Stone Age. That doesn't meant Nirvana didn't suck.

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Gandicles wrote:
superdoug wrote:

And without Nirvana, we wouldn't have the Foo Fighters or Queens of the Stone Age. That doesn't meant Nirvana didn't suck.

First of all, that's a terrible analogy. Nirvana didn't really carve any new pathways in music -- they just found a different way to traverse them. The bands that followed were simply following Nirvana's success, whereas country music is at the root of several genres of music that sound very little like their ancestor.

I guess it all depends on how big a fan of music you are, and how bogged down you are in one particular genre. There exists great country music out there, along with a bunch of crap. The real trick is to not let yourself become so narrow-minded that you would write off an entire genre of music simply because certain parts of it don't appeal to you. Wink

Gojiratoho

Gojiratoho
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I only like country music when it's played backwards. That way, the musician gets his girl, his truck, and his dog back. Laughing

As for the original question posed, no, I don't it's ever happened where a culture evolved without music, nor do I believe it's possible without a conscious decision to exclude it and a removal of outside influence to beat and rhythm, which occurs in nature anyway.

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Gojiratoho wrote:As for the original question posed

Back on topic?!?

*faints*

Gojiratoho

Gojiratoho
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I know right?

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Thanks for the respons, BTW...!

vikoros

vikoros
Ninja
Ninja

SuperDoug
Um...with all due respect, up yours. First of all, I take offense at the idea that Texas and Oklahoma are some place where culture has passed us by. I point you at the vibrant and thriving music community in Austin, to our many museums and concert halls, to any number of 'high culture' events that are sponsored across the state. Just because we're run by idiots doesn't mean that we're all nose-picking savages who want to jump on the nearest cousin and hump 'em. My culture is not 'back-water' because I'm from Texas.

But, out of curiosity, why aren't hateful things like that said about Virginia, or the Carolinas, or Tennessee, where true ignorance comes to the forefront on an alarmingly regular basis? Are Texas and Oklahoma just easier targets for uninformed Yankees trying to make a clever point about Southern ignorance?

I picked on Oklahoma and Texas because I'm from Oklahoma (born and raised)... and my name is Dallas, so it's like the best of both worlds. I meant no offense... and I wasn't really expecting to be taken seriously for that matter.

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I took you so seriously i re-routed a few bombers to nuke the two godforsaken States. i need to log off and use the phone. Excuse me.

vikoros

vikoros
Ninja
Ninja

Let's be honest... you had already planned on firing off those warheads.

Heh... firing off the warheads... that's now my new favorite euphemism.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum