Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Looking for a little advice.

+6
Sci-Fi
Hannibal king
Lantern Lite
shiky800
krpykrwly
FroZen
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Looking for a little advice. Empty Looking for a little advice. Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:08 pm

FroZen

FroZen
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Someone I knew from high school got a hold of me through myspace. Her boyfriend and an old buddy of mine have been working in a local tattoo shop (a very popular shop with a good rep mind you) and soon the owner will open more shops in Decatur and Kankakee. She's has told me that I should go talk to the owner and see about getting in there to sling some ink. I used to tattoo a few years ago (actually 7 or 8 years) but only did it for about a year. I had all my own equipment and got good enough to not worry about having enough clients. I really did love giving tats and only gave it up to pursue music. I guess what I'm getting at is...should I look into this and potentially throw away a job that is secure, pays well, and is close to home to go become a professional tattoo artist?

At 33 years old the idea of changing my life that much is a little unnerving especially with the way the financial state of this country is rather questionable. But then again...being a tattoo artist is cool...just plain fucking cool.

2Looking for a little advice. Empty Re: Looking for a little advice. Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:18 pm

krpykrwly

krpykrwly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I wouldn't be able to take that risk.

Making sure that my wife and kids are provided for is more important to me than saying 'I love my job'.

Personally, I'd look to do it as maybe as side-job/part-time thing until I was confident I could make it.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?ref=profile&

3Looking for a little advice. Empty Re: Looking for a little advice. Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:18 pm

shiky800

shiky800
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

i don't know if i would throw away a good job for this

4Looking for a little advice. Empty Re: Looking for a little advice. Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:20 pm

shiky800

shiky800
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

but look at both sides.
do you hate the current job you are doing? if so then it might be worth changing jobs to something that you love. will you get paid less at the tattoo parlor?

5Looking for a little advice. Empty Re: Looking for a little advice. Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:29 pm

FroZen

FroZen
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

shiky800 wrote:but look at both sides.
do you hate the current job you are doing? if so then it might be worth changing jobs to something that you love. will you get paid less at the tattoo parlor?

I don't hate my current job. I'm good at it and it provides for my wife and kid. Eventually I'd make a shit ton more money working in a parlor as long as the customers keep coming in. Hourly rate per artist at this shop is around 100 bucks an hour (shop gets half of that though.) The upside for me is I'd be working in the art field and there's less stress inkin' people (I actually found it really relaxing when I was doing it steady)

6Looking for a little advice. Empty Re: Looking for a little advice. Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:32 pm

FroZen

FroZen
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

krpykrwlySaysSuckMyCock wrote:I wouldn't be able to take that risk.

Making sure that my wife and kids are provided for is more important to me than saying 'I love my job'.

Personally, I'd look to do it as maybe as side-job/part-time thing until I was confident I could make it.

The only reason I'm really having a hard time just going for it is the fact that my current job provides pretty well for us. I most likely could start doing it part-time (that's what that high school friends boyfriend is doing, working 3rd shift at a "real" job and then putting in a few hours a day at the shop. But to do that I'd be cutting out alot of time with my family.
I guess I've just got alot of thinking to do.

7Looking for a little advice. Empty Re: Looking for a little advice. Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:18 pm

Lantern Lite

Lantern Lite
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

FroZen wrote:
krpykrwlySaysSuckMyCock wrote:I wouldn't be able to take that risk.

The only reason I'm really having a hard time just going for it is the fact that my current job provides pretty well for us. I most likely could start doing it part-time (that's what that high school friends boyfriend is doing, working 3rd shift at a "real" job and then putting in a few hours a day at the shop. But to do that I'd be cutting out alot of time with my family.
I guess I've just got alot of thinking to do.

Forget about the money, that will come with anything you do if you do it well. Go with the work that you wake up to being happy about going to do it. Also go with the one that allows you to see your little boy grow up, that is once in a life time!

8Looking for a little advice. Empty Re: Looking for a little advice. Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:29 pm

Hannibal king

Hannibal king
Zombie
Zombie

Lantern Lite wrote:[quote=Also go with the one that allows you to see your little boy grow up, that is once in a life time!

Best quote i've seen so far in any of the threads. Lost time is the one thing you can't buy with money.

9Looking for a little advice. Empty Re: Looking for a little advice. Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:03 am

Sci-Fi

Sci-Fi
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Hannibal king wrote:
Lantern Lite wrote:[quote=Also go with the one that allows you to see your little boy grow up, that is once in a life time!

Best quote i've seen so far in any of the threads. Lost time is the one thing you can't buy with money.

True that.

10Looking for a little advice. Empty Re: Looking for a little advice. Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:02 am

Lewis Black is Sabertooth

Ninja
Ninja

Work at the Kankakee one, then you'll be close to my hometown.

https://www.facebook.com/ryan.moutrey

11Looking for a little advice. Empty Re: Looking for a little advice. Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:03 am

Sci-Fi

Sci-Fi
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Kankakee.. I remember a street like that somewhere around here I think.

12Looking for a little advice. Empty Re: Looking for a little advice. Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:13 am

Ninja
Ninja

http://www.visitkankakeecounty.com/

scratch I'm just as confused at the fact we have a visitors guide.

13Looking for a little advice. Empty Re: Looking for a little advice. Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:48 am

Lee

Lee
Administrator
Administrator

Keep your job and ink on the side. If you build a big enough client base to take you and be stable, THEN go to the parlour and let your folks know.

http://www.leerodriguez.net

14Looking for a little advice. Empty Re: Looking for a little advice. Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:25 am

FroZen

FroZen
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Thanks for all the input everyone. After talking it over with my wife, I think I'm going to look into just doing it on the side if everything seems to be on the level.

Oh and Lantern Lite, that is absolutely true.

15Looking for a little advice. Empty Re: Looking for a little advice. Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:00 pm

Thundermatts

Thundermatts
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I say do what makes you happy. Life is short, and theres no gurantee for anything after this, so if all we get is seventy years of exsistence, i want to not spend it doing something just because it keeps me and my loved ones secure. Ultimately, if secure= not enjoyable, it's a waste in my opinion.

16Looking for a little advice. Empty Re: Looking for a little advice. Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:19 pm

FroZen

FroZen
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Thundermatts wrote:I say do what makes you happy. Life is short, and theres no gurantee for anything after this, so if all we get is seventy years of exsistence, i want to not spend it doing something just because it keeps me and my loved ones secure. Ultimately, if secure= not enjoyable, it's a waste in my opinion.

Ok, I can see you're point with the whole "life is short" thing (I say that myself all the time). But doing something because it keeps me and my loved ones secured is a way better choice than struggling to make ends meet chasing a "dream". Struggling would be fine if it were only me that I had to take care of, but making things tough for my wife and son for a somewhat "selfish" goal isn't fair to them. I've got plenty of time to make a decision so it's not like I'm going to rush right into this.

17Looking for a little advice. Empty Re: Looking for a little advice. Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:53 am

Ninja
Ninja

Well...who knows, try it, you might like it.

18Looking for a little advice. Empty Re: Looking for a little advice. Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:02 am

FroZen

FroZen
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Lewis Black is Sabertooth wrote:Well...who knows, try it, you might like it.

Stop quoting my prom night.

19Looking for a little advice. Empty Re: Looking for a little advice. Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:05 am

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

FroZen wrote:
Lewis Black is Sabertooth wrote:Well...who knows, try it, you might like it.

Stop quoting my prom night.

Sounds like my entire 20s. Very Happy

20Looking for a little advice. Empty Re: Looking for a little advice. Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:24 am

FroZen

FroZen
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Laughing

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum