Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

I need some advice...doctor type advice

+13
hrdwrkngXsoldier
Heytherejeffro
C's Lady
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Gojiratoho
Sapphire Gypsy
superdoug
krpykrwly
Silent K
vikoros
Spaced4SimonPegg
elijahdprophet
FroZen
17 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1I need some advice...doctor type advice Empty I need some advice...doctor type advice Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:56 am

FroZen

FroZen
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ok Pop!ulation here's the deal.

For 4 weeks now I've been sick. Nothing I took over the counter was helping so I finally broke down and saw a doctor Monday. Turns out that I've developed Allergies and had a bad case of broncitis (sp?). Anyways, he gave me antibiotics,an inhaler, and told me to take Zyrtec. Now my broncitis is clearing up nicely..I feel great as far as that goes but I've still got a lot of pressure in my head. I've taken Zyrtec for 4 days now and it doesn't seem to be getting better. My question is: Is 4 days long enough for the Zyrtec to be working? The pressure in my head is so bad that it's effecting my hearing. Feels like my ears constantly need to be popped but won't. Any advice? Possibly taking something else for the Allergies.

Help me out people...I need my head to get cleared up in a bad way.

elijahdprophet

elijahdprophet
PoP! Brewmaster
PoP! Brewmaster

You might have picked up a sinus infection, in which case the anti biotics could take some time to kick in.

Spaced4SimonPegg

Spaced4SimonPegg
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

The Zytec will deal with your allegeries but probably not your head pressure. I agree with EP it could be a sinus infection in which case you should see your doctor again. You may also want to see an ENT (ear, nose & throat) doctor too.

vikoros

vikoros
Ninja
Ninja

I get the occasional sinus infection... they can last quite a while.

I would recommend (if you're just taking Zyrtec) to switch to Zyrtec-D or Claritan-D... basically anything with a D. I've found them to be much more helpful than the normal kind. It essentially attacks the problems from two sides... not unlike an allergy-fingercuff.

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

Whip it out.

krpykrwly

krpykrwly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Silent K wrote:Whip it out.

And cough three times.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?ref=profile&

FroZen

FroZen
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Yeah...I was thinking sinus infection too but my doctor (which is possibly a dufus) thinks it all just allergies. I have no sinus pain, no nasal congestion, very little sinus drainage, just pressure. I guess I'll give it one more day then make another appointment (probably with a different doctor. I've only got one dose of anitbiotics left and then the doc said to give it another week after that before I went back...I seriously doubt if I can take another week of this shit. Thanks for the advice guys. Gold stars all the way around!!

krpykrwly

krpykrwly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Oh, if it's pressure then the solution's simple.

You need to drill a relief hole elsewhere in your head for the pressure to escape.

Start with a small bit and progressively work your way up, though.

Last edited by krpykrwly on Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

If you're still sick after four weeks, it's time to visit another doctor. The plain truth of the matter is that we could sit here and give you advice on OTC medications and homeopathic remedies and what-have-you, but I don't think that any of us here qualifies as a trained physician, and as such our advice, while well-intentioned, isn't worth very much and could actually make things worse.

GO SEE A DIFFERENT DOCTOR. Smile

10I need some advice...doctor type advice Empty Re: I need some advice...doctor type advice Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:27 pm

Sapphire Gypsy

Sapphire Gypsy
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

It could be going into a sinus infection like has been said, but the antibiotic they've got you on for the bronchitis will clear that up. I'm assuming it's probably a z-pack or amoxicillin.... that's typically what docs write for that type of thing.

The sinus pressure could be caused by the allergies but the Zyrtec isn't going to clear up the congestion. Something with a decongestant is the only thing that's going to help with that.

The pressure in your ears is most likely from the congestion. When your sinuses get too full they start to back up the eustation tubes which causes them to feel full. If that isn't cleared up by getting a decongestant in your system or the antibiotic I'd say go back to the doctor, they might want to give you an ear drop.

I do have a question though, why didn't you cal the doctors office you went to? They can answer these questions too, AND they can talk to the doctor and see if he'd want to give you an ear drop now or make a change to the medications you're on.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/BerryFrostyDesigns

11I need some advice...doctor type advice Empty Re: I need some advice...doctor type advice Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:50 pm

Gojiratoho

Gojiratoho
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Have you tried blood letting? Leeches are very good for the humors.

12I need some advice...doctor type advice Empty Re: I need some advice...doctor type advice Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:55 pm

krpykrwly

krpykrwly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Fucking summer colds.

13I need some advice...doctor type advice Empty Re: I need some advice...doctor type advice Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:57 pm

FroZen

FroZen
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Sapphire Gypsy wrote:It could be going into a sinus infection like has been said, but the antibiotic they've got you on for the bronchitis will clear that up. I'm assuming it's probably a z-pack or amoxicillin.... that's typically what docs write for that type of thing.

The sinus pressure could be caused by the allergies but the Zyrtec isn't going to clear up the congestion. Something with a decongestant is the only thing that's going to help with that.

The pressure in your ears is most likely from the congestion. When your sinuses get too full they start to back up the eustation tubes which causes them to feel full. If that isn't cleared up by getting a decongestant in your system or the antibiotic I'd say go back to the doctor, they might want to give you an ear drop.

I do have a question though, why didn't you cal the doctors office you went to? They can answer these questions too, AND they can talk to the doctor and see if he'd want to give you an ear drop now or make a change to the medications you're on.

I hate calling the doctor that I go too because they act like it's a total pain in the ass to deal with you...that and I was just curious if anyone else had ever dealt with this. I'll call them on my lunch break to get the straight facts but this thread worked for passing the time.

On and the antibiotic they have me on is Azithromycin.

FroZen

FroZen
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

krpykrwly wrote:Oh, if it's pressure then the solution's simple.

You need to drill a relief hole elsewhere in your head for the pressure to escape.

Start with a small bit and progressively work your way up, though.

Great!! Now I'm just bleeding all over my self and there's tons of pain on top of pressure...good call. hmm

superdoug wrote:If you're still sick after four weeks, it's time to visit another doctor. The plain truth of the matter is that we could sit here and give you advice on OTC medications and homeopathic remedies and what-have-you, but I don't think that any of us here qualifies as a trained physician, and as such our advice, while well-intentioned, isn't worth very much and could actually make things worse.

GO SEE A DIFFERENT DOCTOR. Smile

Oh I'm totally gonna try another doctor.

Gojiratoho wrote:Have you tried blood letting? Leeches are very good for the humors.

I'm all out of leeches.

Sapphire Gypsy

Sapphire Gypsy
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

FroZen wrote:
I hate calling the doctor that I go too because they act like it's a total pain in the ass to deal with you...that and I was just curious if anyone else had ever dealt with this. I'll call them on my lunch break to get the straight facts but this thread worked for passing the time.

On and the antibiotic they have me on is Azithromycin.

That's a generic Zpack. It's a good medication but I think they use it too much.... then again I'm not a doctor so whatever.

That said, if they ever say something about a Zpack in the future, may I suggest Robaxin. It's in the same class of antibiotics but because they don't use it all the time the buggies they're trying to kill may not have been introduced to it. Very Happy It can leave a nasty taste in your mouth but I'd take that over being sick for months on end any day. Very Happy

If their office staff is a pain find a new doctor. I wish I knew the Docs in that area I'd suggest someone good, but the office staff can make or break an experience there so... Sad

I hope you feel better soon.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/BerryFrostyDesigns

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Sapphire Gypsy wrote:It could be going into a sinus infection like has been said, but the antibiotic they've got you on for the bronchitis will clear that up. I'm assuming it's probably a z-pack or amoxicillin.... that's typically what docs write for that type of thing.

This pretty much. the eardrops will deal with pain and pressure but won't actually fight any infections so it's good to have but not to rely on. Did the doctor do any tests? I know this is usually a clinical diagnosis but after 4 weeks he should begin to wonder about the nature of the disease.

FroZen

FroZen
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:

This pretty much. the eardrops will deal with pain and pressure but won't actually fight any infections so it's good to have but not to rely on. Did the doctor do any tests? I know this is usually a clinical diagnosis but after 4 weeks he should begin to wonder about the nature of the disease.

Pfft...this is exactly what he did:

I described my symptoms. He looked in my ears, nose, and throat. Checked my lungs with the stethascope (sp?). Held the back of my head pressed on my forhead, my nose, and my cheeks and asked if any of that hurt, which it didn't. And said "You've got allergies and brochitis. I'm prescribing Azithromycin, Vent(something or another) inhaler, and take 1 Zytrec a day. And that was it.

FroZen

FroZen
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Well...I called the doctor and this is the reply I got.

"Well...you've had this for going on 4 weeks and you've only been taking meds for 4 days. You've gotta give it time. If it isn't better by next Friday we'll make you another appointment."

I now officially hate our Carle Clinic here.

FroZen

FroZen
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Well, I also ran out today and got some Benadryl allergy and took some of that. As of right now it actually seems to be relieving some of the pressure so maybe I'm just too impatient.

Spaced4SimonPegg

Spaced4SimonPegg
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I would go to an ENT. Z-packs are given out for anything..at least in the ER I worked in they were. Chances are that Z-pack is not strong enough, plus make sure you take the entire pack of pills.

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

FroZen wrote:

I described my symptoms. He looked in my ears, nose, and throat. Checked my lungs with the stethascope (sp?). Held the back of my head pressed on my forhead, my nose, and my cheeks and asked if any of that hurt, which it didn't. And said "You've got allergies and brochitis. I'm prescribing Azithromycin, Vent(something or another) inhaler, and take 1 Zytrec a day. And that was it.

Yeah, that sounds like the standard procedure. Unless you had a serious fever I don't think he would have done more.

How long have you been on the antibiotic? That takes a week or two to work, but after a week there should be improvement. I'd finish out the week (taking the Azithro and such) and see what happens. If you are still feeling sick, then I'd suggest getting checked for a sinus infection. Though it seems like that is what it is, it may be something more mild.

C's Lady

C's Lady
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Do you wear glasses? If not, you might need them, and if you do, maybe a new perscription? Sounds a lot like what I get when I know it is time for new glasses. At first I thought mine was sinuses as well.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/crystal.vansickle?ref

Heytherejeffro

Heytherejeffro
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Sounds like Pneumonic Plague. Just saying.

https://www.facebook.com/heytherejeffro

FroZen

FroZen
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

FroZen wrote:

Yeah, that sounds like the standard procedure. Unless you had a serious fever I don't think he would have done more.

How long have you been on the antibiotic? That takes a week or two to work, but after a week there should be improvement. I'd finish out the week (taking the Azithro and such) and see what happens. If you are still feeling sick, then I'd suggest getting checked for a sinus infection. Though it seems like that is what it is, it may be something more mild.

Yeah the Azithro was a one week dose and tomorrow is my last dose. There is a lot of improvement, don't get me wrong, Monday I felt like death warmed over and today the only thing I'm dealing with is the pressure in my head. I'm pretty sure I'm just getting impatient. If it does take up to two weeks to work fully then I'll just wait it out and see what happens...hell, I could wake up tomorrow and be A-OK...or dead..eh..either way I'm just gonna wait it out.

FroZen

FroZen
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Heytherejeffro wrote:Sounds like Pneumonic Plague. Just saying.

That would explain why my caged rats are acting so weird.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum