Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Detective Comics

+8
JessJupiter
Batman25JM
LordD3r3k
Joshua
Aussiemandias
Metal Misfit
BlueMaxx
LOOSECANNON
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1Detective Comics Empty Detective Comics Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:09 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Detective Comics #858

Even with Blackest Night & it's fellow Green Lantern co-op showcasing this week's DC releases, the Bat books may have won. Tony Daniel's followup to the best-selling BFTC event was a nice surprise and even better is this month's Detective Comics. As mentioned, the art-switch from flashback to current works wonders, and yet I think it's Rucka who steals the show here. He's seperating Batwoman from previous Bat-friendly females and it's no doubt he's got a cult classic character on his hands. We may all dream of red-headed lesbians in our own time, but this one brings a nightmarish quality that's accute to greatstorytelling. I don't see myself leaving this title anytime soon.

5/5 Bags&Boards - Instant Classic

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

2Detective Comics Empty Re: Detective Comics Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:40 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ Same. I almost gave this issue 5 out of 5. TWINS! Would not have guessed that. For some reason. Also, Renee's story went pretty nicely, but still needs to step up the fun.

And also, the redhaired vixen with the Bat-theme combined with a saucy latina as The Question is super-win in my book. Especially knowing that they were lovers, and, I think, will come around to each other sometime.

3Detective Comics Empty Re: Detective Comics Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:59 pm

Metal Misfit

Metal Misfit
Zombie
Zombie

I haven't bothered with this book since the relaunches. Just not interested in a Batwoman. don't know

http://metalmisfit.wordpress.com

4Detective Comics Empty Re: Detective Comics Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:30 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ But she is more than the gimmick, that's what's so great about her.

5Detective Comics Empty Re: Detective Comics Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:39 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

BlueMaxx wrote:^ But she is more than the gimmick, that's what's so great about her.
Yeah there is something special going on in this book. I'm sure of it. For anyone who likes character driven work this is the book. Rucka is building a character here and with this issue I'm 100% committed to this book.

I've got to say with this latest issue (#858) I'm really starting to love the Kate Kane character. What she went through as a child is just awful and the twin sister idea was fantastic. And now that we've found that she's alive and nuts, well that just adds more depth to Kate's world.

And I am loving the art of JH Williams so much also. By my count he uses three different styles in this issue and they are all great and perfect for each kind of story.

Rucka and Williams are producing what is becoming one of my favourite books.

6Detective Comics Empty Re: Detective Comics Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:42 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'm out of the singles game, but the first few issues I did read were fantastic. Detective is definitely my favorite of the re-launched Bat titles and I cannot wait for the first collected edition.

7Detective Comics Empty Re: Detective Comics Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:21 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:
Well said. J.H. Williams does seem to mix sketch with paints, if not seperate them, in really effective ways. Also, his sexual symbols hidden in his art can be fun to find. Thanks for those little nuggets, Josh. tongue

8Detective Comics Empty Re: Detective Comics Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:37 am

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:
BlueMaxx wrote:^ But she is more than the gimmick, that's what's so great about her.
Yeah there is something special going on in this book. I'm sure of it. For anyone who likes character driven work this is the book. Rucka is building a character here and with this issue I'm 100% committed to this book.

I've got to say with this latest issue (#858) I'm really starting to love the Kate Kane character. What she went through as a child is just awful and the twin sister idea was fantastic. And now that we've found that she's alive and nuts, well that just adds more depth to Kate's world.

And I am loving the art of JH Williams so much also. By my count he uses three different styles in this issue and they are all great and perfect for each kind of story.

Rucka and Williams are producing what is becoming one of my favourite books.

Agreed with everything here. In this short amount of time, Rucka has built a ton of credibility with this character that SHOULD move her past the gimmick comments.

9Detective Comics Empty Re: Detective Comics Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:08 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Detective Comics #859

Another classic issue by Greg Rucka & J.H. Williams III. But I gave last month's a 5 and this one a 4.5 you say? Basically four pages "ruin" this story from being as good if not better than the last; it's when we're intercut with the dilemma that is Kane's underground monster followers of her sister and the questions of her death that alter the mood of the origin. I do appreciate the sharp art change as it's as wondrous as it comes. But as a "7 years ago" story, the transition halts things quite a bit. Funny I'm even bothering to mention a minor flaw about a book so amazing. So much is said about Williams art, and it's never better than here, but it's actually Greg Rucka who steals the show with "Candy" Kane's career dilemma and ongoing dating trauma. And could the last few pages be any more powerful?

4.5/5 Bags&Boards - Near Classic

10Detective Comics Empty Re: Detective Comics Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:39 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Detective Comics Annual #11.
Slightly reminded me of Denny O'Neil's novel DC Universe: Helltown with the whole Batman/Question dynamic, althought that was with Bruce and Vic, while this was with Dick and Renee, and they were both dealing with kidnapped children and Christianity, except this one was anti-Christian type of cult. Concluding from Batman Annual #27, this was quite good. Glad Nicien wrote for the second and final part of this story.
The backstory with Looker's cameo was cool. More Oracle!

11Detective Comics Empty Re: Detective Comics Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:22 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LOOSECANNON wrote:Detective Comics #859
4.5/5 Bags&Boards - Near Classic
I'll give it an even 4, but ya, the 'Underground Cult of Kane" kind of made the mood swing a little too much. Her quiting from Westpoint, meeting Renee, meeting "The Bat" was a very cool moment. Renee's story is picking up too, and her and Tot are starting to grow on me each chapter of this backstory.

This title deserves more recognition then it is recieving. Course, a good few of the Bat books do, as well.

12Detective Comics Empty Re: Detective Comics Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:36 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Month in month out this book is quality and one of my favourites. As I've said before, Rucka has built a character here and she's probably more interesting and well rounded than 90% of the characaters out there at the moment that have been around for years.

This issue was more of the same. This is now a character I'm interested in and care about. I am seriously hoping Rucka can stay on this for a long, long time. And in my opinion JH Williams's art is nothing short of brilliant. I love all the different styles he uses for the various situations. Wonderful stuff. The scene where Kate meets Batman was beautifully drawn.

LOOSECANNON wrote:Detective Comics #859

Basically four pages "ruin" this story from being as good if not better than the last; it's when we're intercut with the dilemma that is Kane's underground monster followers of her sister and the questions of her death that alter the mood of the origin. I do appreciate the sharp art change as it's as wondrous as it comes. But as a "7 years ago" story, the transition halts things quite a bit.
I have a completely different view of that. I thought that was a really important moment. The revelation that those creatures who she's been loosely allied with knew Alice was her sister was a big one. Additionally, it answered all the "twice named daughter of Kane" stuff from Rucka's work in 52, etc. So I saw it as a fairly important moment that was linked to us learning that she had a twin sister and finding out all about that background. Also it was important in just moving current Kate's story along a little with her severing her ties to those creatures (Williams sure draws them as a bunch of freaks - they're pretty awful).

13Detective Comics Empty Re: Detective Comics Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:51 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Detective Comics #858 & #859

I didn't enjoy the first few issues of this at all. I just felt lost and wasn't enjoying the story. These two issues were much better. I like that we are learning Kate's backstory. The whole twin thing is very cool.

I did have a problem with one thing in #858. Kate is seen wearing a Superman T shirt. The issue (according to the cover) was supposed to take place 20 years ago. I know Superman has been around for a while in the DCU, but not 20 years. That bugged me.

Despite liking the story more, I do not care for JH Williams' art. I'm sorry, I just don't. The drawn stuff for the flashbacks and the stuff with Kate out of costume is okay (don't love it, but it's fine), but I just can't stand the painted stuff for when Kate's in costume. The panel layouts are a mess and I don't like the painted look for interiors. I have no problem with it for covers, but not interiors. I also hate that Batwoman looks like a freakin' vampire. Ugh. Oh, and I don't like it when a book changes styles (or artists) for different parts of the story. It throws me off.

14Detective Comics Empty Re: Detective Comics Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:21 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:The scene where Kate meets Batman was beautifully drawn.

Agreed. That was a great moment

15Detective Comics Empty Re: Detective Comics Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:38 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Detective Comics #860

Rucka captures the essence of Batwoman in this final part of her origin, punctuating on the relationship between her and her father. This soldier-to-soldier tie displays the conflict and bonding the duo have and the undying effort the colonel will go to pleasing his daughter. In other words, this is the issue where Cathy Cane becomes the Batwoman. I'm not going into detail with Williams' art, because if you don't already know you never will. One thing I'll say about it is how stunning the style changes based on the levels of the story's timeline. Magnifique.

Like any Gotham book not featuring BatMAN there's swirling rumors about this title's demise. Can't artiistic quality ever count for something? I really don't think it'll sell all that much better with the "man" in the title. Oh, who am I kidding...

The Question back-up is it's best yet. This bonding between her and Huntress reminds me of a little Thelma & Louise. Cool art and sweet ending as well.

4.5/5 Batarangs - A quicker read with less shock value or emotional response than the last two issues, but just as great in terms of being a character study.

16Detective Comics Empty Re: Detective Comics Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:42 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LOOSECANNON wrote:Detective Comics #860

In other words, this is the issue where Cathy Cane becomes the Batwoman.

Like any Gotham book not featuring BatMAN there's swirling rumors about this title's demise. Can't artiistic quality ever count for something? I really don't think it'll sell all that much better with the "man" in the title. Oh, who am I kidding...
What are you talking about? There is no chance on Earth of DC cancelling Detective Comics.
Oh and I'm pretty sure it's Kate Kane.

scratch

Anyway....

Detective Comics continues to be excellent. Just excellent. I've said before but in a very short period of time Greg Rucka has turned this character into a real person. I thought his origin story arc was superb and I love the set up that she's working with her Dad on being Batwoman. Quite an original premise (at least is is to me). I have really grown to like this character and as long as Rucka's involved I'll follow her wherever Greg's telling her stories.

I thought the back up story was the best of the Question back ups so for. Not a lot happened but it was good character stuff.

And JH Williams's art continues to impress. I thought there were at least 3 different artistic styles used in this issue which all suited the different story elements really well. A terrific indicator of the subtleties of his art was in the scene where Kate's dad confronts her with the knowledge that he's learned she's been acting as a vigilante and stealing military equipment - if you look closely the whole time he's dressing her down she's standing at attention. That is just excellent and clever work.

As far as I'm concerned this is one of the best and most intelligent books on the market at the moment.

17Detective Comics Empty Re: Detective Comics Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:25 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

I agree. Um..I think the "Catherine" got me confused...and Detective Comics will never cancel, but there are rumors that Batman will be taking over...get it?

18Detective Comics Empty Re: Detective Comics Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:33 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Detective Comics #860

I liked this issue. I have to say I've liked this arc a LOT more than the first one.

I'm still not a huge fan of the art. I kinda like the non painted stuff, but as I've said a hundred times, I hate the painted stuff for the interior. It looks off and is hard to follow. The layout is choppy. I also don't like when books change style in the middle.

19Detective Comics Empty Re: Detective Comics Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:42 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:Detective Comics #860

I liked this issue. I have to say I've liked this arc a LOT more than the first one.

I'm still not a huge fan of the art. I kinda like the non painted stuff, but as I've said a hundred times, I hate the painted stuff for the interior. It looks off and is hard to follow. The layout is choppy. I also don't like when books change style in the middle.
I know I'm telling you what you already know but I think you're just going to have to get used to the art on this book. It's certainly out of the ordinary but Williams is obviously going for something pretty stylistic here. And, of course, when an artist does that it's often going to polarise the audience. I absolutely love his work on this book but obviously it's having the opposite effect on you.

Hopefully the story is enough to keep you going with Detective Comics. I really hope so because this is a great character. It's funny because if you wind the clock back a lot of people were saying this is a nothing character but I'd defy anyone to tell me that Batwoman isn't a complex and interesting character now.

20Detective Comics Empty Re: Detective Comics Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:33 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:
Batman25JM wrote:Detective Comics #860

I know I'm telling you what you already know but I think you're just going to have to get used to the art on this book. It's certainly out of the ordinary but Williams is obviously going for something pretty stylistic here. And, of course, when an artist does that it's often going to polarise the audience. I absolutely love his work on this book but obviously it's having the opposite effect on you.

Hopefully the story is enough to keep you going with Detective Comics. I really hope so because this is a great character. It's funny because if you wind the clock back a lot of people were saying this is a nothing character but I'd defy anyone to tell me that Batwoman isn't a complex and interesting character now.

Yeah, I'm going to stick with it. I like Batwoman enough to keep going. I just hope I like the next arc as much as this one. I didn't like the first arc much at all, but this arc has really hooked me.

As for the art, I am trying to get used to it, but it's hard. I'm just not a fan of the painted look. Hopefully it'll grow on me, but I doubt it. However, you never know. I didn't like Williams' non painted art to begin with, but it's grown on me. I just wish Batwoman didn't look like a vampire.

21Detective Comics Empty Re: Detective Comics Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:48 am

JessJupiter

JessJupiter
Pirate
Pirate

I luuurv me some Detective Comics! I'm not going to go into a super long, review-type post, as mostly everything that I like about it has been said! I know that some people don't like the painted and choppy style for the art, but that's the thing that got me to read it! When browsing through new books, I look at covers and a few interior pages, and this book made me simply swoon. I love nontraditional comic styles and this title has just that.

Not to mention, interesting and compelling characters! As being someone who has never really sat down and READ a DC title in her life, I feel that this book has set my standards high.

I PRAY for the trade. Smile

http://www.jessjupiter.webs.com

22Detective Comics Empty Re: Detective Comics Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:19 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ I LOVE Williams' artwork. It is part of the setting and vibe that makes the story flow. J.H Williams III's becoming one of my favorite comic artists.

Just read last issue. Questions story is starting to pick up more and more, and love that. I like Huntress, many are like meh with her, but I think she has a lot of potential in mainstream.
I'm liking the beginnings of Batwoman more as it goes along. It's very practical, and not, poof!

23Detective Comics Empty Re: Detective Comics Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:24 am

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

This is just a damn solid read month after month. Rucka is doing a masterful job giving credibility to what most saw as a gimmick character, and Williams III's art is gorgeous. These kinds of layouts wont work in every book, but here, it just fits.

24Detective Comics Empty Re: Detective Comics Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:15 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I really believe it's one of the best super-hero related books on the market from either of the big two.

25Detective Comics Empty Re: Detective Comics Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:11 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:I really believe it's one of the best super-hero related books on the market from either of the big two.

Yep, it's definitely up there

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum