Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread

+14
alucardbarnivous
BlueMaxx
Lee
elijahdprophet
shining knight
Joshua
Spider_Fan14
Batman25JM
Aussiemandias
jaydee74
Jherek
Administrator
prescribeddrone
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:47 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

So how do I get Zenith for free?

27Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:42 am

elijahdprophet

elijahdprophet
PoP! Brewmaster
PoP! Brewmaster

PM me (actually the button says 'mp', whats up with that?) and i can link up a rapid share for Zenith.

28Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:42 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Jherek wrote:
Now I promise to never mention him again Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread - Page 2 334450
Oh I don't believe you for a minute! Wink

I actually feel privileged that I was getting Animal Man at the time it came out and was fresh. I can't describe how different that comic felt to anything else at that time. True originality.

29Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:32 pm

Jherek

Jherek
Pirate
Pirate

Aussiemandias wrote:
Jherek wrote:
Now I promise to never mention him again Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread - Page 2 334450
Oh I don't believe you for a minute! Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread - Page 2 988476

I actually feel privileged that I was getting Animal Man at the time it came out and was fresh. I can't describe how different that comic felt to anything else at that time. True originality.
Too right!

The thing with me and Morrison started when The Invisibles first came out. I was running a theatre company and a friend of mine who is a comic book artist in England came to see a show I'd written and said it reminded him of The Invisibles. I hadn't been reading it, I was aware of Morrison's work in 2000AD and other British publications and had flicked through Doom Patrol and Animal Man in the comic store without getting hooked. I picked up the issues of Invisibles that were out so far (at that point I think it was about two or three) and while not sure where my friend had seen the comparison with my work, carried on getting it. The wierd thing was that much later issues in the run were indeed very close to the themes I had used in my play but at the time not so much. My girlfriend used to say she thought Morrison was reading my notebooks (Maybe he employed those racoons that are annoying Alan Moore Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread - Page 2 29517 )

Anyway, long story shortened. I've been a major fan ever since and feel he's a kindred spirit. Plus we're both bald Brits so we have to keep together. Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread - Page 2 334450

30Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:38 pm

elijahdprophet

elijahdprophet
PoP! Brewmaster
PoP! Brewmaster

Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Morrison

31Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:05 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Jherek wrote:
My girlfriend used to say she thought Morrison was reading my notebooks (Maybe he employed those racoons that are annoying Alan Moore Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread - Page 2 29517 )
I like to think that maybe he's been watching you as you've been watching him. I think that would fit with his style of thinking. Wink

32Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:14 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

elijahdprophet wrote:Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Morrison

Makes me think of Animal (he has hair! Laughing ), especially the end, where he talks about his cat. I thought that was touching.

33Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:23 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Just to throw this out there, what titles would you want to see Morrison write? And you can't say "all of them". tongue Laughing

34Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:49 pm

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

If I was to go on to the astral plane, I'd like to think Grant would be my tour guide.

http://blog.myspace.com/alucardbarnivous

35Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:19 pm

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:Just to throw this out there, what titles would you want to see Morrison write? And you can't say "all of them". tongue Laughing
None of them. tongue

Doctor Strange: If anyone can recreate the beatnik days of Lee & Ditko, it's Morrison.

Any space/cosmic event for Marvel/DC.

The Death of Superman: This Time It's Permanent

Mephisto: Year Seven Thousand and Thirteen

Spider-Man: Clone Saga - The Mess Gets Messier

Wolverine: He's Queer, He's Here and He Wants You Inside Him

Batman Kills Fredrick Wertham

Justice League of Uranus

Martian Manhunter: Oreos For All!

Iron Man: Gin Fuckin' Genie

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

36Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:08 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Tomer Soiker wrote:
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:Just to throw this out there, what titles would you want to see Morrison write? And you can't say "all of them". tongue Laughing
None of them. tongue

Doctor Strange: If anyone can recreate the beatnik days of Lee & Ditko, it's Morrison.

Justice League of Uranus

I know you're being a super-smartass, Tomer Laughing, but I would actually like to see all of these. Get a deep, inside look of J'onnz love of Oreos. I've heard the gay Wolverine concept, JLU could be hilariously weird like Seaguy, and Superman staying dead, everything bleak? Grant's cherry on top.

But as for Dr.Strange in a beatnik style should go to Mike Allred, and second would be Peter Milligan. Throw them together and you're in Heaven.

37Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:23 am

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Tomer Soiker wrote:
None of them. tongue

Any space/cosmic event for Marvel/DC.

Mephisto: Year Seven Thousand and Thirteen

Spider-Man: Clone Saga - The Mess Gets Messier

Batman Kills Fredrick Wertham

Justice League of Uranus

Iron Man: Gin Fuckin' Genie

Hardy har har. tongue

But I do like some of these ideas. I like the Dr. Strange and Martian Manhunter. I'd be curious to see what he would do with Spider-man. I would LOVE to see him do Iron Man. I can imagine a healthy blend of introspection, wonderfully done plots, and SCIENCE/TECHNOLOGY Grant Morrison style (one of my favorite things about him is his take on technology and science in any title he's in).

My list:
Captain America
Quasar
Guardians of the Galaxy -I'm happy with the current writers but his take would prove interesting. Space, a playground for the imagination.
The Avengers
Flash

38Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:45 pm

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

I was at least serious about Strange and the space/cosmic thing.

39Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:43 pm

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

you see in the uk theres this kids comic called the beano right...

Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Zenithphase361

Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Zenithphase362

Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Zenithphase363

Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Zenithphase364

Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Zenithphase365

Last edited by shining knight on Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : one page was mixed up)

40Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:53 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Starting off with the most current stuff..

I'm really intrigued by what he's done with Batman over the last 2-3 years. Sure, some elements of the story may seem hokey to todays rigid standards, but the premise behind these stories are pretty great. I've said it ad nauseum, but his run on Batman had an amazing flow.

Final Crisis.. well, again, I thought the premise was great but something happened along the way that just made the story break down. And that last issue, it was just like Morrison's brain exploded on the page. I've been meaning to reread the series in one sitting, but life's adventures have been delaying me.

Seven Soldiers I thought was a brilliant concept, and laid quite a few pieces of groundwork for Final Crisis. I can't say the writing wow-ed me, but again, great concept.

Allstar Superman was a great elseworlds tale.

So, overall, I'd say I'm a fan. The dude always seems to pique my interest

41Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:03 pm

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

what amazed me with zenith phase three when I was a kid was the cameos which my dad (who was a comic geek before the word even existed) pointed out to me (I was of course clueless at the time I didn't even realise who big ben was supposed to be and I read the dandy at that time!)

42Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:08 pm

Jherek

Jherek
Pirate
Pirate

Ah post-modern self -referentiality. It's what makes the multiverse go round. Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread - Page 2 334450

As to what I'd like to see Morrison tackle in the future -
Wonder Woman. If anyone can make the Star Spangled Amazon relevant he can. Though beats me how he'd aproach it. I'd guess it may end up as his version of (Alan Moore's) Promethea.
Hulk. I can see Grant going to town on the whole split personality thing between Banner and Hulk (like he did for Bruce Wayne/Batman.) This would be an exploration of the Hulk as a personification of raw emotion. Here's a concept - What if Banner developed the ability to physically manifest a body form for emotions other than rage?
Doctor Who. He's already written some old Doctor Who comics but I'd love to see his take on the Ecclestone and Tennant doctors.
Thor. Including a ressurected Tales of Asgard. We know he loves Kirby's New Gods let's see him tackle The old school Norse pantheon.
Legion of Super Heroes He rocks on team books. He loves the Silver Age. Let's see him do the 31st century (I'd insist on Frank Quitely to draw this one!).

43Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:18 am

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Jherek wrote:Ah post-modern self -referentiality. It's what makes the multiverse go round. Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread - Page 2 334450

Wonder Woman. If anyone can make the Star Spangled Amazon relevant he can. Though beats me how he'd aproach it. I'd guess it may end up as his version of (Alan Moore's) Promethea.
Hulk. I can see Grant going to town on the whole split personality thing between Banner and Hulk (like he did for Bruce Wayne/Batman.) This would be an exploration of the Hulk as a personification of raw emotion. Here's a concept - What if Banner developed the ability to physically manifest a body form for emotions other than rage?
Doctor Who. He's already written some old Doctor Who comics but I'd love to see his take on the Ecclestone and Tennant doctors.
Thor. Including a ressurected Tales of Asgard. We know he loves Kirby's New Gods let's see him tackle The old school Norse pantheon.
Legion of Super Heroes He rocks on team books. He loves the Silver Age. Let's see him do the 31st century (I'd insist on Frank Quitely to draw this one!).

I'd actually like to see this. I do have reservatons on WW, but the rest, especially Thor, sounds good. A throw back to his old adventures would be nice since thos truly captured the nature of the series, that being fantastic monsters and strange lands.

44Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:22 am

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Just started reading The Filth.

45Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:44 am

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Tomer Soiker wrote:Just started reading The Filth.

That's a pretty good story that gets "Morrisony" fast. The ending is certainly interesting.

46Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:37 pm

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

brilliant art from my man chris "killing time" weston in the filth

47Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:33 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Grant Morrison: Talking with Gods, a documentary created by Respect Films.

http://blog.newsarama.com/2009/12/07/check-out-the-trailer-for-grant-morrison-talking-with-gods/

Looks interesting and worth checking out, especially considering it has other people's in the biz's take on him.

48Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:35 pm

Jherek

Jherek
Pirate
Pirate

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:Grant Morrison: Talking with Gods, a documentary created by Respect Films.

http://blog.newsarama.com/2009/12/07/check-out-the-trailer-for-grant-morrison-talking-with-gods/

Looks interesting and worth checking out, especially considering it has other people's in the biz's take on him.
That looks really good

49Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:44 am

Foreigner_Man

Foreigner_Man
Ninja
Ninja

Jherek wrote:Ah post-modern self -referentiality. It's what makes the multiverse go round. Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread - Page 2 334450

I like those, I could see them happening. In addition to those I'd personally like to see him take on the following:

Titans- New Teen Titans was DC's X-Men at one time. When Marvel wanted to reinvigorate the X-Men and make them even more awesome they brough Morrison on board and IMHO great things happened. I suggest DC attempt to the same thing Marvel did and have Grant play around with these characters.

Eternals- These Kirby-created characters have been unexplored. Since he's a big Kirby fan, I'd love to see Grant take the reigns of these characters and take them off into new exciting directions.

World's Finest Comics- Grant's done awesome with the characters of Batman and Superman. I'd love to see his All Star Superman team up with his Batman and Robin Batman and proceed to take on threats the size of his threats in JLA. This book book needs a big creative name, and Grant is one of those people who fit the job better than anyone else.

Booster Gold- Who better to write a crazy hero with an ego travelling through time travelling craziness better than Doctor Who fan Grant Morrison? I'd love to see what he dreams up.

Aquaman- I'd love to see Grant take on Aquaman and do the same thing he's done with Superman, Batman, JLA, and X-Men to Arthur Curry. The idea really excites me. I'd love to see him reinterpret characters like King Shark and Black Manta while creating new awesome foes as well. Aquaman won't be a joke any more, I'll tell you that! It'll be like the Peter David days, and I certainly just can't wait! Very Happy

Miracleman- After Gaiman finishes the ending to his Miracleman stuff, we'll have a need for a new writer to take on the character. While people like Bendis and Millar (and more importantly Warren Ellis) are quite capable of taking them on, I think Morrison could do great on the book.

50Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Grant Morrison Appreciation Thread Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:27 am

Spider_Fan14

Spider_Fan14
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I wouldn't mind seeing him write Titans, Aquaman, Booster Gold and the other stuff either and I would like to add Captain Marvel. After what Johns did to them in a most unsatisfying story, They need to be reinvigorated back into the cool heroes that can be and maybe even expand on the stuff of Johns' arc with the seven virtues of man and the dark figure appearing at the end.

Also maybe writing something for X-Men, 7 Soliders of Victory and JLA again too.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum