Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Thor

+13
Ulik
Foreigner_Man
Toothgrinder
hrdwrkngXsoldier
Administrator
LOOSECANNON
shiky800
prescribeddrone
Nymn
Aussiemandias
Fresh03
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Bigtymin504
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

51Thor - Page 3 Empty Re: Thor Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:55 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

It was just announced that Pasqual Ferry will be the artist for Fraction's run starting with #611.
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/Thor-Fraction-Ferry-100312.html

Thor - Page 3 THORV2611_cvr_col_02

I'm excited for this run. Smile

52Thor - Page 3 Empty Re: Thor Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:09 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:It was just announced that Pasqual Ferry will be the artist for Fraction's run starting with #611.

Thor - Page 3 24719
Thor - Page 3 1264236108407

53Thor - Page 3 Empty Re: Thor Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:38 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Whoops-a-doodle. Damn crappy search.

54Thor - Page 3 Empty Re: Thor Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:33 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Thor #608

Siege: Asgard #2 is an improvement over last month's edition. If you catch onto my facetiousness you'll notice that's exactly how this issue serves: three disparate threads concerning Siege and/or loose plot strands with only a tad of Thor. I was a bit worried last issue by the appearance of Thor-clone Ragnarok, however I have to admit his slam-dance with Volstagg is quite affective. The battle takes place outside of Asgard--actually, directly underneath it--and if you've witnessed what's happened in Siege's latest issues (Siege #3, New Avengers, Avengers: Initiative, etc.), then you know what happenes next. In other words, my wish that was placed on the final statement of last month's review of Thor may be answered. Fingers crossed.

Either way, this book does a lot more right than it does wrong. Other reviews have claimed that the artwork in this issue, despite the array of pencilers and colorists, looks a lot more fluidly than you'd think. I'd have to agree with Tyler Parker over at ign.com that Rich Elson's carousel style has been a treat. You're able to enjoy Elson's work during vital scenes concerning Kelda, and then concurrently with warrior Tyr's change of heart. While Loki isn't around this month (you'll have to buy his one-shot three weeks from now), there's too much going on in the issue to narry a care. The issue's only obvious faults would be the unstartling lack of Thor and overall lack of Asgard itself. While the fantastic floating world is being dismantled, readers aren't able to view too much reaction inside from the gods themselves. Still, props to Keiron Gillen for holding this title together during the crossover; it can't be an easy task.

3.5/5 Bags&Boards - Very good

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

55Thor - Page 3 Empty Re: Thor Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:48 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Yeah I like that we're getting more of the Asgardian side of Siege in this tie-in. I especially like seeing Tyr get some facetime, hopefully he sticks around as a regular after all this. Gillen once again is the master of Asgardian dialogue. He's also doing a great job of conveying Balder's self-doubt about the way he's ruled Asgard, he's really blaming himself for all the bad things that have happened to them lately. Plus it was nice to see the Asgardians acknowledge that the Hood now has the Norn Stones thanks to Loki. Oh and Kelda's sequence with Bill's family was good too. The best part was the end though lol, hopefully that's the last we've seen of Clor...but I doubt it.

56Thor - Page 3 Empty Re: Thor Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:23 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Thor #605-608

I finally got all caught up. I have to say I enjoyed these issues. The Siege stuff was more enjoyable than the previous arc, but I liked it all.

I actually really like Billy Tan's art. I've seen mixed reactions to it, but I enjoy it.

Oh, and I have to say I love Volstagg, and I can't get enough of him.

57Thor - Page 3 Empty Re: Thor Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:31 pm

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

Bigtymin504 wrote:It was just announced that Pasqual Ferry will be the artist for Fraction's run starting with #611.

THAT is a match made in Valhalla

58Thor - Page 3 Empty Re: Thor Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:31 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:Yeah I like that we're getting more of the Asgardian side of Siege in this tie-in. I especially like seeing Tyr get some facetime, hopefully he sticks around as a regular after all this. Gillen once again is the master of Asgardian dialogue. He's also doing a great job of conveying Balder's self-doubt about the way he's ruled Asgard, he's really blaming himself for all the bad things that have happened to them lately. Plus it was nice to see the Asgardians acknowledge that the Hood now has the Norn Stones thanks to Loki. Oh and Kelda's sequence with Bill's family was good too. The best part was the end though lol, hopefully that's the last we've seen of Clor...but I doubt it.
I loved that the whole of Asgard landed on Clor! haha

I'm kicking myself for not picking up that the God of War dying (as prophesied) was actually Ares. Of course! Obviously the writers have done a good job of all co-ordinating between each other for Siege.

59Thor - Page 3 Empty Re: Thor Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:43 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

THOR #608

It was good to catch up with Volstag after missing him in Siege Embedded. I really believe he is the greatest of the warriors three. I don’t think there is an Asgardian with a bigger heart….or stomach. We get an opportunity to watch the throw-down between Volstag and Ragnarok. Whether he knows it or not, Volstag can talk trash with the best of them.

One of the other story threads through the issue is Hood and the Norn Stones. He did get a major power boost. And we get to see some character development from the Norse God of War, as he cowers from his supposed future.

The writing in this issue was great, the art popped with all the booms, bams, thunder, lightning, and explosions that should happen when gods wage war. This was easily my second favorite Siege book so far this month

4 out of 5 Clors

60Thor - Page 3 Empty Re: Thor Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:21 pm

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

http://panelsonpages.com/?p=22496

61Thor - Page 3 Empty Re: Thor Mon May 03, 2010 8:27 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Thor #609

Fans of Thor have got to be ecstatic with how well Keiron Gillen has been handling Asgard. Not afraid of editorial mandates or crossover madness, Gillen has kept the spirit of Asgard alive, despite the crushing blows of the Sentry, Norman Osborne and his loyal minions to the land of the immortals. While much of Thor #609 is last-minute filler, serving more a pleasurable streamline of unfinished threads than previously solicited Thor vs. Ragnarok epic, Gillen’s writing continues to be a plus and even the artistic tag-team of Rich Elson and Billy Tan prove ever more compatible.

I complained in recent issues of Siege: Thor (oops) about the heavy contrast between Elson’s bright Golden Age tendencies and Tan’s more measured, detailed linework, but the title looks wonderful from page one. One moment in particular finally depicts Balder the Bright the rightful heir to the throne when deflecting a Hood-rattled Norn Stone bullet back at the villains, all the while shaking Loki in his boots.

But, it’s Loki who shines brightest in this issue. If you purchased Siege: Loki (and trust me, it’s the only Siege one-shot worth your time), the God of Mischief’s machinations come to fruition when he admits he’s place in this world—and that’s to cause bitter havoc. Why? …Because that’s who Loki is; that’s his destiny; and perhaps that’s the moment he finally comes to grips with that conception. It’s all great character work by Gillen and rewards the reader who had to endure all of Loki’s befuddling, perverse ruses with Mephisto in hell last week.

Thus, if you’ve been following the title all along, particularly with interest in Loki’s role in Siege, don’t let the absence the great Thor himself let you down. Buy this issue.

3.5/5 Mjolnir Thunder Claps - Gillen keeps it rolling.

62Thor - Page 3 Empty Re: Thor Mon May 03, 2010 2:30 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LOOSECANNON wrote:Thor #609

Fans of Thor have got to be ecstatic with how well Keiron Gillen has been handling Asgard. Not afraid of editorial mandates or crossover madness, Gillen has kept the spirit of Asgard alive, despite the crushing blows of the Sentry, Norman Osborne and his loyal minions to the land of the immortals. While much of Thor #609 is last-minute filler, serving more a pleasurable streamline of unfinished threads than previously solicited Thor vs. Ragnarok epic, Gillen’s writing continues to be a plus and even the artistic tag-team of Rich Elson and Billy Tan prove ever more compatible.

I complained in recent issues of Siege: Thor (oops) about the heavy contrast between Elson’s bright Golden Age tendencies and Tan’s more measured, detailed linework, but the title looks wonderful from page one. One moment in particular finally depicts Balder the Bright the rightful heir to the throne when deflecting a Hood-rattled Norn Stone bullet back at the villains, all the while shaking Loki in his boots.

But, it’s Loki who shines brightest in this issue. If you purchased Siege: Loki (and trust me, it’s the only Siege one-shot worth your time), the God of Mischief’s machinations come to fruition when he admits he’s place in this world—and that’s to cause bitter havoc. Why? …Because that’s who Loki is; that’s his destiny; and perhaps that’s the moment he finally comes to grips with that conception. It’s all great character work by Gillen and rewards the reader who had to endure all of Loki’s befuddling, perverse ruses with Mephisto in hell last week.

Thus, if you’ve been following the title all along, particularly with interest in Loki’s role in Siege, don’t let the absence the great Thor himself let you down. Buy this issue.

Good stuff. I loved Balder's bright light moment and him punking Loki. And Gillen's dialogue is seamless as usual.

63Thor - Page 3 Empty Re: Thor Tue May 04, 2010 3:06 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Thor #609

This was a Siege tie in that I actually didn’t have to pick up. The events may add a little bit of flavor to the story, but definitely not required reading to enjoy it. This issue did make me wonder one thing, especially with Thor only being on the cover and the preview page of the book who’s title is his name. When did it become hip to not have the title character in their own book? Did it start after Captain America died, or when the Hood was cooler than the New Avengers? Just something that bothers me a littlebit.

This book did give us some more story envolving the heroics of Volstagg and the meddling trickery of Loki. Overall though it just felt meh, all over. If you’re a Thor fan, well he isn’t in the book. If you are following Siege, the book doesn’t seem that necessary. Take your $2.99 and invest in a good indy book.

2 out of 5 Exiled Norse Gods

64Thor - Page 3 Empty Re: Thor Tue May 04, 2010 6:07 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:

Good stuff. I loved Balder's bright light moment and him punking Loki. And Gillen's dialogue is seamless as usual.

I'm probably a bit different from you guys with this. I liked Gillen's pre-Siege work but once he got involved in Siege I really haven't been impressed. It just isn't really grabbing me. I feel like he's just telling a story now that's editorially mandated (to be fair his pre-Siege stuff probably was also) and just doesn't read that well to me. To give the guy credit though I think he's had a bit of a tough assignment. I don't think it would be easy to know that you're not going to be given the ongoing writing job and, on top of that, you haven't been given a whole lot of room for introducing your own creativity into the storyline because it's mostly dictated by outside events.

65Thor - Page 3 Empty Re: Thor Tue May 04, 2010 6:14 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

So your with me then Aussie?

66Thor - Page 3 Empty Re: Thor Tue May 04, 2010 6:15 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

hrdwrkngXsoldier wrote:So your with me then Aussie?
Most definitely.

67Thor - Page 3 Empty Re: Thor Wed May 05, 2010 4:54 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:

I'm probably a bit different from you guys with this. I liked Gillen's pre-Siege work but once he got involved in Siege I really haven't been impressed. It just isn't really grabbing me. I feel like he's just telling a story now that's editorially mandated (to be fair his pre-Siege stuff probably was also) and just doesn't read that well to me. To give the guy credit though I think he's had a bit of a tough assignment. I don't think it would be easy to know that you're not going to be given the ongoing writing job and, on top of that, you haven't been given a whole lot of room for introducing your own creativity into the storyline because it's mostly dictated by outside events.

I agree that Gillen's pre-Siege arc was better than the current Siege one, that arc was just fantastic. But I do think this Siege one has been solid, particularly Gillen's uncanny handle on Asgardian dialogue and his showcasing of Balder's regrets as King. Plus like you said, this arc is essentially an editorial necessity. The storytelling ability is ultimately constrained a bit like all event tie-ins are, but Gillen has done a pretty great job with it IMO. The guy was thrust into the very tough spot of bridging the transition from JMS to Fraction and I think he's done about as best as one could expect. He's doing the dirty work while still giving it his own distinctive creative voice.

68Thor - Page 3 Empty Re: Thor Wed May 05, 2010 5:01 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:
Aussiemandias wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:

I agree that Gillen's pre-Siege arc was better than the current Siege one, that arc was just fantastic. But I do think this Siege one has been solid, particularly Gillen's uncanny handle on Asgardian dialogue and his showcasing of Balder's regrets as King. Plus like you said, this arc is essentially an editorial necessity. The storytelling ability is ultimately constrained a bit like all event tie-ins are, but Gillen has done a pretty great job with it IMO. The guy was thrust into the very tough spot of bridging the transition from JMS to Fraction and I think he's done about as best as one could expect. He's doing the dirty work while still giving it his own distinctive creative voice.
I hope Marvel rewards him for it.

69Thor - Page 3 Empty Re: Thor Wed May 05, 2010 5:04 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^Me too. Between his work on Thor and the short epic S.W.O.R.D., the guy definitely deserves a legit chance at a top notch ongoing book.

70Thor - Page 3 Empty Re: Thor Thu May 27, 2010 8:39 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Thor #610

Read this one because it was time to see the Asgardian perspective on the fall of Asgard. Thor is banished no more. And he has a battle with Clor (Ragnarok) and we see “who is the real deal with a test of lightning and mythic steal.” (sorry just sounded good to rhyme that.)

This was all developmental for the characters primarily as Thor tells Balder why he should remain king. We see what Volstag and the Warrior Three are up to and get caught up on Kelda and the fate of Bill.

This was a good look at the rebuilding of Asgard and shows that there is a lot of work to do. I wish that this issue would have shown some of Hel and what was going on there. It wasn’t a big focus in the main Thor book, but the Loki one-shot was enough to peek my interest into exactly what will happen regarding the deal between Hela and Mephisto, not to mention the dead Asgardian souls that escaped destruction.

3.5 out of 5 KRRRRZZZZAACKs

71Thor - Page 3 Empty Re: Thor Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:48 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

hrdwrkngXsoldier wrote:Thor #610

Read this one because it was time to see the Asgardian perspective on the fall of Asgard. Thor is banished no more. And he has a battle with Clor (Ragnarok) and we see “who is the real deal with a test of lightning and mythic steal.” (sorry just sounded good to rhyme that.)

This was all developmental for the characters primarily as Thor tells Balder why he should remain king. We see what Volstag and the Warrior Three are up to and get caught up on Kelda and the fate of Bill.

This was a good look at the rebuilding of Asgard and shows that there is a lot of work to do. I wish that this issue would have shown some of Hel and what was going on there. It wasn’t a big focus in the main Thor book, but the Loki one-shot was enough to peek my interest into exactly what will happen regarding the deal between Hela and Mephisto, not to mention the dead Asgardian souls that escaped destruction.

3.5 out of 5 KRRRRZZZZAACKs

Yeah it wasn't a bad issue.

For some reason Ragnarok is starting to remind me of the Cyborg Superman. Much like that character I doubt this is the last we've seen of him/it.

72Thor - Page 3 Empty Re: Thor Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:54 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Thor #610

Loved this issue. Keiron Gillen really has a handle on scripting Asgard and all who follow. The battle between Thor and Ragnarok is only legendary if it finally ends the days of this horrendously-constructed character. I wouldn't mind one bit if Fraction stepped down and Gillen remained; he did, however, get a chance to do another arc before Fraction begins, Thor in Hell!

Braithwaite's art was light years better than his Wolvie: Origins stuff, too. Maybe it was the coloring, but I find his detail improved over his Secret Invasion tie-in's with Thor.

4/5 Mjolnir Thunder Claps - Begone Ragnarok, for good!

73Thor - Page 3 Empty Re: Thor Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:13 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^Yup loved that! Hopefully it's for good though. Smile

Gillen's been great and his new arc sounds pretty damn awesome so I don't mind waiting a bit longer for Frac's run to start.

74Thor - Page 3 Empty Re: Thor Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:04 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Fraction and Ferry officially start on #615 in September.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=26577

Thor - Page 3 ThorFrac

thumbs up

75Thor - Page 3 Empty Re: Thor Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:38 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Thor: For Asgard miniseries announced.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=26664

Thor - Page 3 ThorFA

^That art looks gorgeous. People have been down on Simone Bianchi's art lately (not that I blame em) but when he's not rushed he really turns out some great work IMO.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum