Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wolverine

+17
comicgeekelly
rwe1138
BlueMaxx
Sandman
Debaser77
LordD3r3k
jaydee74
Ric Magnum
Batman25JM
Fresh03
hrdwrkngXsoldier
shiky800
Bigtymin504
LOOSECANNON
prescribeddrone
Sir Not
Administrator
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

51Wolverine - Page 3 Empty Re: Wolverine Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:14 am

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

This costume has always been my favorite Wolverine costume. It's just so cool and I wish they would bring it back with a bit a few alterations to update it a bit. Maybe an X on the belt or something:

Wolverine - Page 3 180px-James_Howlett_(Earth-616)

52Wolverine - Page 3 Empty Re: Wolverine Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:55 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

jaydee74

2.5 = average/okay/mediocre

wacko

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

53Wolverine - Page 3 Empty Re: Wolverine Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:37 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Wolverine Origins #45

The Merc with a Mouth is a master strategist! Laughing

54Wolverine - Page 3 Empty Re: Wolverine Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:16 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Dark Wolverine #84

Siege: Wolverine #3 proves an underwhelming finish to an arc that did nothing more than play with our minds. Hmmm...isn't that what Daken does so well? It's just that, Lui and Way never fulfill the potential highlights of this "tie-in," opting more for eclecticism and art over force and commerce. I'm not sure too many fanboys are going to care about an arc that contemplates the meaning of life during the middle of a hectic war. That reminds me of the World War II flick, The Thin Red Line, Oscar-nominated and all but drove me insane. I like art; I like story; but, all hell, I actually want something to happen. Much like that slow burn of a movie, this comic resorts to a lot of those attributes. When asked on the last panel "what exactly happened to Daken during all of this?," the only answer I can think of is the last page of the next comic book...

2.5/5 Bags&Boards - Some of this is sort've enjoyable too. And I don't mean the kissing scene--I'm talking the art. Except the faces, eww.

Wolverine: Origins #46

So this is what I waited 10 months for? I can't believe what I'm about to say, but this prologue to Reckoning, the impending crossover with Dark Wolverine, is actually pretty good, perhaps the best issue since the Romulus arc began. Like many, I was enthused about the Romulus reveal only to be let down by the older, larger, slightly scarier Wolverine clone...with added claws. Let's face it: the arc's been lame. The book really hasn't hit its stride since Wolvie's convo with Nick Fury in a bar about his son Daken. In turn came the Dark Avenger in search for the Murmusa Blade, resulting in brutal theft of the Logan-killing weapon from Cyclops and the other X-men. I jumped on Wolverine: Origins at that time thinking the book would excel. It's been a rocky road ever since.

Sure, Daniel Way's memorandum of Mariko is basically a retelling of Chris Claremont's original Wolverine run. The issue is a confession of what Logan had to do to his wife/ex-wife several years later when she was cut a raw deal. To many, this quiet reflection won't overwhelm anyone, but with the senseless guest spots and stomach-churning plot twists of the last few issues, this'll do. I'd hate to put too much pressure on Way, but after a few sub-par issues of W:O and D:W, perhaps this crossover will do wonders in closing out both titles.

3/5 Snikts - A somber, narrative-driven issue, that sets up Wolverine: Origins' final arc acutely, and that's perfectly fine by me.

55Wolverine - Page 3 Empty Re: Wolverine Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:44 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dark Wolverine #84

Thankfully it looks like this isn’t going to be the last issue of Dark Wolverine. It definitely isn’t the end of Daken. This part of the Seige arc usually conveys mixed responses from readers and Marvel fans. There are people that just think Daken is a Wolverine rip-off and that the whole thing is overdone, and then a separate group of people that gave Marvel’s most famous mutant’s offspring a chance.

If you have been following this part of Siege and are a fan, you still may walk away with mixed feelings on the issue. We get to see the fates interfere and show Daken a possible path that he could choose, and the consequences of that path. The story truly has been all character development for this character. I have enjoyed it and I think it has been invaluable to set Daken apart from his father.

This is a character I care about now.

3.5 out of 5 Tempting Fates

Wolverine Origins #46

This issue is just more rehash of things past that torture Wolverine’s soul. This is a step away from the planning that he has been doing with Deadpool to set up Romulous for his big fall. I can understand though. Even though Nightcrawler is not a priest, Wolverine just feels comfortable giving confession to one of his oldest friends. This at least sets up that Wolverine knows there is a chance that he’s not going to come back from this stand off. We see Nightcrawler reassure his friend, which isn’t what he was looking for, but got the comfort from the dialogue anyway.

This is a good issue if your not familiar with the history of Wolverine, and also set up for the final arc of this book before it is cancelled.. Was the issue wholly necessary… nope, just filler.

2.5 out of 5 of Wolverine’s dead Lovers

56Wolverine - Page 3 Empty Re: Wolverine Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:08 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

We need a Comic Book Podcast...now.

spanking

Nightcrawler was basically a priest in the X-Men films lol...

57Wolverine - Page 3 Empty Re: Wolverine Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:37 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I thought he did become a priest at one time?

UPDATE: He almost became a priest, but his studies were interrupted.

58Wolverine - Page 3 Empty Re: Wolverine Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:03 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

and you're the guy with the bumper sticker Wiki-ing Is Cheat-ing? Laughing

59Wolverine - Page 3 Empty Re: Wolverine Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:11 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LOOSECANNON wrote:and you're the guy with the bumper sticker Wiki-ing Is Cheat-ing? Laughing

Huh?

60Wolverine - Page 3 Empty Re: Wolverine Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:13 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Wolverine Origins #41-45

I liked this arc. It wasn't really that good, but I enjoyed it. I don't know why. Maybe because I was in a Wolverine mood after watching X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Wolverine Origins #46

Even though this was mostly recap (and I've read most of the stuff that was recapped), I enjoyed it. LOVED the art.

61Wolverine - Page 3 Empty Re: Wolverine Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:02 am

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

DW #84 was alright.

62Wolverine - Page 3 Empty Re: Wolverine Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:41 am

Debaser77

Debaser77
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven

Review of #85 is up on the main site.

http://panelsonpages.com/?p=22167

I wasn't too impressed with it.

63Wolverine - Page 3 Empty Re: Wolverine Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:08 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dark Wolverine #85

I guess I wasn’t really that thrilled with this book, because it took me about 30 minutes to think about what there really was to review.

This issue was mostly filler and used to bring the Dark Wolverine book in line with Wolverine Origins for them to finish this last story arc up to its finally.

Basically it was Wolverine telling Daken the plan, just to make sure Romulus was getting the misinformation from more than one source. I wish that we could have seen more from Deadpool in this book, just to see what the plan was. If I had known the book was going to be as slow as it was and pretty much pointless I wouldn’t have even bought it maybe….It is sad to be a completist.

The run down that we find from a character standpoint is that Daken has double the daddy issues. He hates his biological father, loves his foster father that groomed him to be a killer, and craves power… The power Romulus has and Wolverine has the ability to keep.

The final panel makes you wonder exactly what happened and why, and we are left waiting for this tree to bear some fruit. At least it isn’t as drawn out as Hope and Cable hopping through time, but still this was filler none the less.

2.5 out of 5 Snikt Bubs

64Wolverine - Page 3 Empty Re: Wolverine Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:45 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dark Wolverine #85

I didn't hate it, but it wasn't really good.

I did kinda like the art. It had a very 90s feel to it.

65Wolverine - Page 3 Empty Re: Wolverine Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:55 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

DW #85

2/5 Snarky Wolvie Starbucks Talls - Long overdrawn father and son convo that basically re-capped the last several issues, all with a pretty enjoyable last page that we all know will be retconned, anyway.

66Wolverine - Page 3 Empty Re: Wolverine Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:21 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:Wolverine Origins #46

Even though this was mostly recap (and I've read most of the stuff that was recapped), I enjoyed it. LOVED the art.

Yeah I always enjoy Logan and Kurt's heart to hearts...which bums me out cuz of what I think is coming. Sad

67Wolverine - Page 3 Empty Re: Wolverine Sat May 01, 2010 6:51 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Wolverine Origins #47

This was better. Actually, I was quite surprised how much I enjoyed this. It wasn't the best Origins issue or anything, but I'll give Way credit for putting many of the pieces laid out in the last several issues together, including those leftover from the last arc, Logan's inspirations in the prologue, and those that continued from the lackluster Dark Wolverine issue. Of course none of happenings come off as a surprise, but with steady art and some heat added to the battlefield, I'll take it.

3/5 Snikt Double Cross Schemes - This final arc of Origins might not end so poorly, after all.

68Wolverine - Page 3 Empty Re: Wolverine Mon May 03, 2010 3:24 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Wolverine Origins #47

Daniel Way is moving to finish up the Wolverine Origins line as well as Dark Wolverine. The last part of this story happened in the Dark Wolverine title with Daken being stabbed through the chest with a sword. Everybody including Romulus thought was the Muramasa Blade, mystic sword forged from part of Wolverine’s soul… that nobody heals from. (I wonder why it isn’t pink like Illyana’s or Pixie’s?) I am a big fan of the coloring in this book. The art suits the story well, but the colors are amazing.

In this story we get to see some more of the behind the scenes manipulation that both Romulus and Wolverine have been using. This has turned into a big question mark as to what exactly is going on. Will Deadpool’s plan work out? I have to keep reading just to see exactly what it is. So far we know that a big part of the plan was feeding Romulus a bunch of misinformation, but it looks like there could be a double-double-cross…or two or three coming up. Who is going to be worthy to take over Romulus’ role in the Marvel universe? (His is a role that we didn’t exactly know anything about until two years ago anyway.)

3 out of 5 Snikts

69Wolverine - Page 3 Empty Re: Wolverine Thu May 06, 2010 1:59 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^Agreed with you guys, things are shaping up pretty nicely for the finale to all this.

70Wolverine - Page 3 Empty Re: Wolverine Thu May 27, 2010 6:17 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dark Wolverine #86

Even though this story is the result of dealing with something that Loeb invented I am glad that they are trying to deal with this part of the Wolverine Mythos. I wish the lead up to it didn’t take so long but this was a good issue that addressed a lot of mystery and definitely was a great set up for the conclusion of this story. The art was really good, I wouldn’t mind seeing more of Segovia’s pencils across the Marvel line.

We find out in this issue about how old Romulus really is and that he is basically a self-proclaimed god. It makes me wonder if he is a mutant though, with the similarities he has being tied primarily to the feral mutants of the present age. That would finally give Selene some competition in the first mutant category. What ever power it is that he has it is evident that Daken wants it. After they distract Wolverine’s team with some security forces and make their escape the Dark Wolverine turns on his foster father only to be found wanting in the end.

3 out of 5 Puncture wounds in Romulus’ chest.

Wolverine Origins #48

This was an ending of a mess that started before Way was on the title. I think he dealt with it very well. It was a good open ended conclusion to the battle between Wolverine, Daken, and Romulus.

Romulus is handled and future creators have an out to bring him back, As far as Wolverine and Daken go…Papa spank. I think things are temporarily settled as we see who the alpha male is and Daken is neutered of the edge he had over his father.

Story plot-hole moment though isn’t only the room for a return by Romulus but also not adequately getting rid of the stupid sword that in my opinion never should have existed. We will probably see this come into play but for now I’m just glad to see this dealt with so that we can get onto something else. While the anatomy difference between Wolverine and Wolverine light was illustrated I am hoping we get to see more in the future. Daken looks to be the one that is going to take over the role Sabertooth had for so long and will be Wolverine’s nemesis for years to come.

Wish we could have seen some involvement from Deadpool in this story, it was all his plan after all.

3 out of 5 Bad plots ended.

71Wolverine - Page 3 Empty Re: Wolverine Mon May 31, 2010 9:50 pm

Sandman

Sandman
Ninja
Ninja

ok guys I need some major help here! I have not followed Wolverine for awhile now, I have read all of Dark Wolverine but for all that time I have had no clue what Logan has been doing! what the hell is Skaar doing there?! how did they hook up? can anyone give me a read list so I can know what is happening?

72Wolverine - Page 3 Empty Re: Wolverine Mon May 31, 2010 10:21 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Daken #86 and Wolverine: Origins #48

I believe HardworkingXsoldier said pretty much all I wanted to...and considering how up and down and disappointing this series has been, the best that can be said is that it's almost over. Without a doubt I would NEVER put up with this series' mediocrity if not for the character involved: Wolverine. Most fanboys online have a thing or two to say about him--nothing good, of course--but he remains close to my heart as he did since the early 90's cartoon. And hell, look what Aaron's done over at Weapon X, there's still a bevy of stories to tell.

Much like Marc Guggenheim did over at Amazing Spider-Man with the previous Clone Saga, it took Daniel Way just as big of a ballsack to take on Romolus and this shadowed/mysitcal threat. The payoff never happened. The opening scene in Wolverine: Origins #48 is strangely so sudden--especially if you didn't bother with this week's Dark Wolverine--but it got the job done. The final section of Reckoning was a step-up from the uncomfortable quips and begrudging father/son threats of Daken and Logan's confrontation. Their "final" one proves better. Seeing the solicits, I just don't understand why...oh...I can't spoil it...well...why...Daken is...you know..."missing"?

DW = 2.5/5 - good art, cheesy second-rate dialogue/plotting
WO = 3/5 - better moments, unfortunately "The Reckoning" isn't complete

73Wolverine - Page 3 Empty Re: Wolverine Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:10 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dark Wolverine #86 & Wolverine: Origins #48

I hated these. They were a waste of time and money. The "end" to the whole Romulus storyline was extremely disappointing. I haven't been reading since he first appeared/was discovered to exist, but I have been reading for a couple of years. I'm not happy I stuck with it so long. I'm dropping Origins even though there are only a couple of issues left. I just don't care anymore.

Last edited by Batman25JM on Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

74Wolverine - Page 3 Empty Re: Wolverine Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:11 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Dark Wolverine #87

OK---so what the heck was this!!?!?

2/5

75Wolverine - Page 3 Empty Re: Wolverine Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:08 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dark Wolverine #87

This issue deals with the aftermath of the drawn out story arc involving Romulus that went on through this title and Wolverine Origins. Way has used this book very well not only to further Daken’s character, but to also utilize Daken to provide a macabre view on humanity and ethics as a whole. This issue in particular could be used as an example in most any ethics or philosophy class as an examination into human nature.

We find Daken has fled to Rome, Italy in order to lick his wounds and figure out where he stands in the world after having the only means of killing his father ripped away from him. I do wonder if the scars and the loss of the bottom claws are permanent because they were done with the Masamura blade. With as fast as Wolverine and his clones (read that to include most of the wolverine characters, ie Wild Child, Sabertooth, X-23, etc) have been shown to heal, the presence of the scars indicates this may be a possibility.

Daken encounters an Italian con man and plays along with the con for his own entertainment. I think he just wanted to see how far it would be taken. The gripping part of this story though is the manner in which Way uses Daken’s internal monologue to analyze the human condition.

This was a great book and I’m glad that Daken is developing into something more than Wolverine-Lite. I just hope he gets his own title.

3.5 out of 5 Kantian Principles

Wolverine Origins #49

While Dark Wolverine dealt with Daken’s perspective on recent events, Origins looks at life for his pops after the big battle to rid the world of Romulus. I think that Way did a decent job singing off the loose ends of a story that Loeb had created and he was left to deal with. I do think that this title had its run and will be glad to see it go. As good as Way has been with Deadpool and Daken, Jason Aaron just writes a superior Wolverine book right now.

The theme this month in the Way knucklehead books seems to be the essence of life and humanity. I think he uses the longevity of Wolverine as a good example of how things in the world seem to come full circle. For Wolverine, it seems like he has just been going around in circles for over 100 years, but he decides to change that.

There are some strange things happening in this issue that make it a bit difficult to separate PTSD style flashbacks and reality. I don’t know exactly what is going on and I don’t know if Way can wrap it up in one issue…How many issues are left?

Nick Fury makes an appearance, as do many other people from Wolverine’s past. It is up to you to figure out what is real though.

As I said, this series is ready for a wrap-up, because Weapon X is just a better book.

2.5 out of 5 Rotations in the Circle of Life

Wolverine Weapon X #14

Aaron continues to be amazing. He has brought a flavor to Wolverine that has been missed since the days of Claremont. This book is however not centrist to the title character this time around. This issues focus was on the Deathlocks from the future and how they came to be, but actually one Deathlock in particular.

This guy happened to be one twisted individual before he was carted off to death-row. Recruited for the program he surpasses expectations and becomes the leading unit developed for the program. Watching him struggle with the internal computer system is also entertaining.

Since this story arc started we have jumped back and forth between the future and current time and this issue is no different. We finally find out the goal of the unit is to follow a similar strategy that was employed by Roxxon to change their future.

This future does make me wonder what happened in our story line to make them so prevalent and we really don’t see any mention of the evil corporation Alchamex from the 2099 future. Maybe the Timequake had something to do with that?

This is a great read and well worth your time. If you have left the Wolverine fold because you tired of his market saturation, then definitely check out Aaron’s previous arcs in trade.

4 out of 5 Peacelocks

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum