Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Favorite Comic Book Quotes

+30
burntoffering08
Elmo Machete
G_Zatara
Warren_Worthington IV
Warpig372
GigaToast
Spazzy
The Ignored One
Spider_Fan14
deadbolt85
NorrinRadd
prescribeddrone
LordD3r3k
NSFW
hrdwrkngXsoldier
jaydee74
gangsternerd
shining knight
elijahdprophet
Jherek
tstrike99
Ska
Gandicles
kidspider2099
rwe1138
Bigtymin504
Batman25JM
BlueMaxx
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Administrator
34 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1Favorite Comic Book Quotes Empty Favorite Comic Book Quotes Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:07 am

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Inspired by the favorites lyrics thread in the Music forum, post your favorite quotes from comics.

I'll start with an easy one: "With great power must also come great responsibility" originally from Amazing Spider-Man #15 (1962). Of course, it was quoted over the years in Spidey stories with some variations (usually without the "must also" part).*

---

The fourth volume of Preacher, Proud Americans, collects various stories featuring the supporting cast (mainly villains) of the series. One of them is mini-series telling the origin story of the mysterious Saint of Killers from the days after the Civil War to him becoming the new Angel of Death. Coming back from the war, the unnamed man just tried to live his life, but somehow got involved with a religious girl. Eventually they were married and had a daughter. At some point the woman tries to encourage him to read from the bible to their kid, so she'll know how great the Lord is, claiming God was the one to make her husband a good person. The husband refuses and says he never was and never will be a man of God, then sums it all with: "Why can a man not turn to doing good, without the Lord getting all mixed up in it?"

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

2Favorite Comic Book Quotes Empty Re: Favorite Comic Book Quotes Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:19 am

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

"We plan for days and days and when the time comes, we proceed to improvise."
Quicksilver from Amazing X-men (AoA). I used to and sometimes still do, find myself muttering myself when something goes awry and I have to improvise or plan off the cuff.

3Favorite Comic Book Quotes Empty Re: Favorite Comic Book Quotes Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:21 am

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Speaking of Amazing X-Men, I meant to post another quote from there: In the beginning of he third issue Magneto visits Charles Xavier's grave and on the tomb written: "Any dream worth having is a dream worth fighting for."

4Favorite Comic Book Quotes Empty Re: Favorite Comic Book Quotes Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:43 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

The Question (Charles Victor Szasz/Vic Sage)

"The plastic tips on shoelaces are called 'aglets.' Their true purpose is sinister." - JLU

"What is character? Is it in your blood or can it be learned? Is it obvious or is it
impossible to define? Will you recognize it if you see it? Not if you have to ask."

Favorite Comic Book Quotes Rorscach46ov

Vic: " Black Adam! Shazam! Isis! "
Renee: "What the hell are you doing? "
Vic: "I was seeing if it was contagious"

"What makes a hero? Is he a man with super powers, who, when in costume, fearlessly seeks out dangers, daringly confronts all obstacles and performs great feats of bravery but then returns to his everyday life, living in helplessness and fear?...Afraid of what he says and how he acts for fear of revealing his secret identity, thus forcing himself to live unnaturally, stripped of the ability to face up to and act upon the everyday problems of life? His response to them may not be one of fearlessness, daring or bravery but one of a constant brooding about his inability to cope with them successfully! Is it a power or disguise that makes a hero or is a hero a man who faces up to the challenges and obstacles of life and acts on them in a manner that does credit to himself and the proper principles that have been proven to be true!? What makes a hero?"

"...for certain questions, the best answer...is no answer at all."

5Favorite Comic Book Quotes Empty Re: Favorite Comic Book Quotes Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:23 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I can think of two off the top of my head.

"Why does everyone say my name like it means shut up?" -Jubilee X-Men#10

From Secret Warriors#4:

Jones: Tell me the truth… what are you going to feel when you put a bullet in one of those men, Nick?

Fury: Recoil.

6Favorite Comic Book Quotes Empty Re: Favorite Comic Book Quotes Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:51 am

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Tomer Soiker wrote:Speaking of Amazing X-Men, I meant to post another quote from there: In the beginning of he third issue Magneto visits Charles Xavier's grave and on the tomb written: "Any dream worth having is a dream worth fighting for."

That's a good one.

Batman25JM wrote:I can think of two off the top of my head.

From Secret Warriors#4:

Jones: Tell me the truth… what are you going to feel when you put a bullet in one of those men, Nick?

I love those, especially the second one.

One of my favs:

From Seven Soildiers of Vitory: Zatanna (forgot which issue, may have been the second one), Phantom Stranger comes through carrying groceries, and yet he still sounds badass. This is how all his appearances should start off as. Laughing

"Storm clouds of doom gather overhead, as if a parliament of dour executioners were called to judgement on frail humanity in these final, ember hours of all we hold dear. Good evening, ladies. Good evening, all gathered here."

7Favorite Comic Book Quotes Empty Re: Favorite Comic Book Quotes Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:53 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

See below. Smile

Favorite Comic Book Quotes Amen

Last edited by Bigtymin504 on Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

8Favorite Comic Book Quotes Empty Re: Favorite Comic Book Quotes Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:15 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

Not exactly a quote, but the opening of Alan Moore's Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow is one of my all time favorite comic lines:

"This is an imaginary story (which may never happen, but then again may) about a perfect man who came from the sky and did only good. It tells of his twilight, when the great battles were over and the great miracles long since performed; of how his enemies conspired against him and of that final war in the snowblind wastes beneath the Northern Lights; of the two women he loved and of the choice he made between them; of how he broke his most sacred oath; and how finally all the things he had were taken from him save one. It ends with a wink. It begins in a quiet midwestern town, one summer afternoon in the quiet midwestern future. Away in the big city, people still sometimes glance up hopefully from the sidewalks, glimpsing a distant speck in the sky... but no: it's only a bird, only a plane. Superman died ten years ago. This is an imaginary story...

Aren't they all?"

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

9Favorite Comic Book Quotes Empty Re: Favorite Comic Book Quotes Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:13 pm

kidspider2099

kidspider2099
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

i like that old school batman quote:

"quiet or pappa spank"

10Favorite Comic Book Quotes Empty Re: Favorite Comic Book Quotes Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:51 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:
From Secret Warriors#4:

I liked this one, too.

"That's how it ends, Doc. Not with a bang, or a whimper, but with a thwack." - Mr. Gone

"At least in his dreams he's some kind of superhero. Boy this city's full of people who are experts at avoiding reality, and with good reason. I'm not sure any of us wants to know what goes on at 3am in some stink ridden ally. God know who doing god know what. Best not to think about it, just push it down and go on." - Julie Winters

"Pain lasts, kid. It's how you know you're alive. Sometimes I think this growing up thing is just pain management." - The Maxx (Br'er Lappin)

"They're all necro-nerds and Sand freaks. They think death is romantic. Death is hard and cold and ugly, not some cute chick." - In jest, Sam Kieth, through his character Sara, talking about Gaiman's Death of the Endless.

11Favorite Comic Book Quotes Empty Re: Favorite Comic Book Quotes Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:34 pm

Gandicles

Gandicles
Ninja
Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:I can think of two off the top of my head.

From Secret Warriors#4:

This just reminded me of this:

Favorite Comic Book Quotes Nickfu10

12Favorite Comic Book Quotes Empty Re: Favorite Comic Book Quotes Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:55 am

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

BlueMaxx wrote:
"They're all necro-nerds and Sand freaks. They think death is romantic. Death is hard and cold and ugly, not some cute chick." - In jest, Sam Kieth, through his character Sara, talking about Gaiman's Death of the Endless.
I'm not sure it was a criticism or a gesture, but Gaiman's point was that Death is represented by this cute, nice, Gothic young woman - while her acts are tragic and not make her "happy" doing them. It's a necessity and the way the world works. Her looks and personality are meant to be unparalleled to her "occupation".

13Favorite Comic Book Quotes Empty Re: Favorite Comic Book Quotes Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:31 am

Ska

Ska
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

kidspider2099 wrote:i like that old school batman quote:

"quiet or pappa spank"

HAH! yes

http://www.myspace.com/kristinellenamarie

14Favorite Comic Book Quotes Empty Re: Favorite Comic Book Quotes Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:39 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Tomer Soiker wrote:
BlueMaxx wrote:
I'm not sure it was a criticism or a gesture, but Gaiman's point was that Death is represented by this cute, nice, Gothic young woman - while her acts are tragic and not make her "happy" doing them. It's a necessity and the way the world works. Her looks and personality are meant to be unparalleled to her "occupation".

Well, Sam Kieth drew Gaiman's Sandman's first story-arc, so it was poking fun at a friend's story, which, like The Maxx, was an underground success at the time.

Rorschach

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon."

"You guys seem to forget--I'm not stuck in here with you, you're stuck in here with me!"

15Favorite Comic Book Quotes Empty Re: Favorite Comic Book Quotes Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:54 am

tstrike99

tstrike99
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

One in particular has always stuck with me.

Grifter from WildCATS, one of the early issues from the '90's

"If I were a normal man, I'd be dead. But I'm neither."

16Favorite Comic Book Quotes Empty Re: Favorite Comic Book Quotes Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:21 am

Jherek

Jherek
Pirate
Pirate

rwe1138 wrote:Not exactly a quote, but the opening of Alan Moore's Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow is one of my all time favorite comic lines:

"This is an imaginary story (which may never happen, but then again may) about a perfect man who came from the sky and did only good. It tells of his twilight, when the great battles were over and the great miracles long since performed; of how his enemies conspired against him and of that final war in the snowblind wastes beneath the Northern Lights; of the two women he loved and of the choice he made between them; of how he broke his most sacred oath; and how finally all the things he had were taken from him save one. It ends with a wink. It begins in a quiet midwestern town, one summer afternoon in the quiet midwestern future. Away in the big city, people still sometimes glance up hopefully from the sidewalks, glimpsing a distant speck in the sky... but no: it's only a bird, only a plane. Superman died ten years ago. This is an imaginary story...

Aren't they all?"

Hands down my fave quote too. You beat me to it. Favorite Comic Book Quotes 334450

17Favorite Comic Book Quotes Empty Re: Favorite Comic Book Quotes Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:13 pm

elijahdprophet

elijahdprophet
PoP! Brewmaster
PoP! Brewmaster

I couldn't think of one clever way to stop this guy, so I just trusted to mindless violence. - Robot Man

18Favorite Comic Book Quotes Empty Re: Favorite Comic Book Quotes Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:32 pm

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Its more a visual quote than anything else

Favorite Comic Book Quotes Dante2

Post war Nikolai dante sees a poster of his pre war self in the bedroom of a young girl who became a suicide bomber and is sickened by what he's become

19Favorite Comic Book Quotes Empty Give a great Quote Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:21 am

gangsternerd

gangsternerd
Pirate
Pirate

A great quote from a comic from the last decade or so
that was awesome or just gave you goosebumps
One I remember, was like oh shit
was "well, my god has a hammer"

20Favorite Comic Book Quotes Empty Re: Favorite Comic Book Quotes Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:36 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

From Blackest Night #7:

Scarecrow: "Not as much as me. FLY MY MONKEYS!"

21Favorite Comic Book Quotes Empty Re: Favorite Comic Book Quotes Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:37 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

"What did you say about Hank"--Wolverine, Wolverine Weapon X #11, in refference to Hank Williams.

"It's on bitch" -- Hank Pym to Reed Richards in Mighty Avengers.

22Favorite Comic Book Quotes Empty Re: Favorite Comic Book Quotes Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:16 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then... he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him."

-Batman

23Favorite Comic Book Quotes Empty Re: Favorite Comic Book Quotes Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:39 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Black Cat to Spidey: "Calm down. You get so uptight about your bodily fluids...Rolling Eyes"

Laughing

24Favorite Comic Book Quotes Empty Re: Favorite Comic Book Quotes Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:29 am

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Superman: Believe me when I say I wish that violence wasn't necessary. But violence is the price we pay to accomplish a greater good. As heroes, we choose to protect that good with our lives.

25Favorite Comic Book Quotes Empty Re: Favorite Comic Book Quotes Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:26 pm

NSFW

NSFW
Cadet
Cadet

Favorite Comic Book Quotes 1253182651193

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum