Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment.

+29
potatojoe
Thundermatts
The Ignored One
Ric Magnum
Spider_Fan14
Lee
MillionDollarGeek
Foxy
blue halo
Rath99
SexyToaster
Babybear
Ska
Silent K
Mnemosis
rwe1138
krpykrwly
Esbat
Airwolf
superdoug
Administrator
shining knight
Debaser77
Tripper McGee
Ben Akers
Toothgrinder
Chi-Town Spidey
Joshua
elijahdprophet
33 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 6]

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

http://panelsonpages.com/?p=10791

Ska

Ska
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Iceman at Blizzard Beach taking pictures with kids...LMAO

http://www.myspace.com/kristinellenamarie

Babybear

Babybear
Cadet
Cadet

Am I the only one thinking that Stan Lee is probably throwing a BF at the news? Something tells me his spidey-sense just went ape-shit.

SexyToaster

SexyToaster
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Yeah I really am kind of worried about this whole thing. granted I am not much a Marvel fan, I know it seems all they are talking more about like movie take overs and stuff. I am just nervous they will censor the comics to be more "Family Friendly" and personally my maturity level is way past that, and I like to read comics with a bit more edge to them

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Babybear wrote:Am I the only one thinking that Stan Lee is probably throwing a BF at the news? Something tells me his spidey-sense just went ape-shit.
Since he has absolutely nothing to do with the business dealings of Marvel, I imagine he doesn't care one way or another.

Yeah I really am kind of worried about this whole thing. granted I am not much a Marvel fan, I know it seems all they are talking more about like movie take overs and stuff. I am just nervous they will censor the comics to be more "Family Friendly" and personally my maturity level is way past that, and I like to read comics with a bit more edge to them
I've heard this from multiple people and I still don't get it. Disney owns many non-Disney entities and they have yet to scrub anything for cleanliness, so why do people suddenly think they're going to do anything to Marvel? There is zero precedent for such a maneuver.

What maturity level has to do with something being family friendly I don't really understand.

SexyToaster

SexyToaster
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Joshua wrote:

What maturity level has to do with something being family friendly I don't really understand.

I just meant I don't want be reading something "G" rated. and I am sure we are all probably over thinking this, but its kinda shocking news. I sure it wont be as bad as some of us might think it is now.

Rath99

Rath99
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Disney is not going to mess with how Marvel makes comics. Like Joshua has stated Disney owns a lot of companys that make R rated movies. I believe they own New Line Cinemas and they produce a lot of non-Disney stuff that's geared toward adults.

I wait to see how they handle the licensing side of Marvel. How will it affect Island of Adventure?

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Rath99 wrote:
I wait to see how they handle the licensing side of Marvel. How will it affect Island of Adventure?
I think that's what I'm most interested in; the impact on theme parks it will have, if any.

blue halo

blue halo
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Joshua wrote:Disney owns many non-Disney entities and they have yet to scrub anything for cleanliness, so why do people suddenly think they're going to do anything to Marvel? There is zero precedent for such a maneuver.

Care to give some examples?

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

blue halo wrote:
Joshua wrote:Disney owns many non-Disney entities and they have yet to scrub anything for cleanliness, so why do people suddenly think they're going to do anything to Marvel? There is zero precedent for such a maneuver.

Care to give some examples?
Well, the burden of proof lies on the people to show which companies Disney has grossly interfered with, but I'll play along.

Touchstone Pictures
Miramax Films
Hollywood Pictures
Hollywood Records
Lyric Street Records
Mammoth Records
ABC television group
ESPN
Lifetime Television
Lifetime Movie Network
Lifetime Real Women
A&E Network
The History Channel
The Biography Channel
History Channel International
Military History Channel
Crime & Investigation Network

Among others. If you want, here's a more exhaustive list.

Not to mention, anyone who read beyond the headline would have noticed that in announcing its plans, Disney stated that current management at Marvel would remain in place to oversee its operations. Further, Disney did not plan to change Marvel to fit the current Disney brand. The boards of both companies have approved the merger plan, which must still pass an antitrust review and be approved by the companies' stockholders. So if anything, Marvel won't be touched by Disney, but Disney will be saturated with Marvel. Nerds are so fucking trigger happy.

Foxy

Foxy
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

krpykrwly wrote:http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=22747

UPDATE 8:30 AM PDT - There have been a number of developments since the initial press release about Disney’s acquisition of Marvel went out. Disney held a conference call with investors that just finished to discuss the deal and while much of it was focused on the financial aspect of the deal – with regards to both current and future opportunities – there were a number of comments concerning publishing and Marvel’s film slate that are of interest. The bullet points are:

Cable channel Disney XD is currently running about 20 hours a week of Marvel content and Disney has been looking to license more Marvel content and this deal gives them that opportunity as well as the opportunity to expose these characters internationally.<.li>

When asked if there was potential for cross-polination between Marvel and Pixar, Disney said that Pixar’s John Lasseter has met with key Marvel creative executives recently and the group got “pretty excited, very fast.” Disney will look at all opportunities and thinks there are some exciting product that could come from this sort of partnership.

The deal began when Disney Chief Executive Bob Iger reached out to Marvel Chief Executive Ike Perlmutter earlier this year. Again, Disney noted that they believe in the creative team at Marvel and see no reason to upset that applecart.

What Marvel programming is Disney currently running?

Possible Pixar/Marvel makes me happy in the pants. A few posts ago Doug mentioned Power Pack, I think that would be a great team for a kids movie or cartoon.

I'm digging this news. I do think that Marvel characters are going to end up in a theme park though. Maybe not right away but I think that's a very good likelihood.

http://www.foxyart.net

blue halo

blue halo
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Firstly, thanks, Joshua, for posting those companies owned by Disney. I wasn't aware how much they did own. Also, I wasn't one of those saying that Disney's going to screw with Marvel, although I am a little concerned, and will remain so until I see that Disney really doesn't plan to upset the Marvel applecart.

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

According to my sources (my parents at dinner), Disney plans to continue taking checks from Universal for the licensing of the brand at Islands of Adventure, and Universal has no plans of changing things.

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

The entire business world is essentially owned by three companies: AOL Time Warner, Disney, and Viacom.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of EPCOT replacing Nemo with Namor on The Living Seas. While I never want to see Marvel in the Magic Kingdom (and don't see it happening), the Disney Imagineers are a clever bunch of people. If they were to imbue EPCOT, Hollywood Disney, and other parks with Marvel, they'd make that shit work. It's decades away, but they could make an entire Marvel park. That would be pretty badass and a fairly possible scenario.

Ska

Ska
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Foxy wrote:

I watch Xmen Evolution all the time on there. I know I've seen Spiderman and Fantastic Four just flipping through the channels on there before too.

http://www.myspace.com/kristinellenamarie

Rath99

Rath99
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Silent K wrote:According to my sources (my parents at dinner), Disney plans to continue taking checks from Universal for the licensing of the brand at Islands of Adventure, and Universal has no plans of changing things.

Makes sense. They can collect a lot of money without the overhead

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Holy crap! A few weeks ago at a con I had some buddies of mine do me a sketch. I requested Cyclops fighting a grizzly bear. They took the liberty of making the bear Winnie the Pooh. That's fucking prophetic.

68Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. - Page 3 Empty Re: Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:18 pm

MillionDollarGeek

MillionDollarGeek
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

To tell you the truth, I honestly cant wait for the following to come out

Disney Zombies
Disney's Toy Story 3: Civil War
Grumpy Old Ducks Very Happy
X-Force meets Goof Troop
and Disney Loves, Marvel Kills. (old school X-Men storyline FTW!)

This I love, anyone seen the M.O.D.U.C.K. mash-up yet?

69Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. - Page 3 Empty Re: Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:44 pm

Rath99

Rath99
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Joshua wrote:Holy crap! A few weeks ago at a con I had some buddies of mine do me a sketch. I requested Cyclops fighting a grizzly bear. They took the liberty of making the bear Winnie the Pooh. That's fucking prophetic.

Laughing Laughing
That is funny

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Joshua wrote:
I've heard this from multiple people and I still don't get it. Disney owns many non-Disney entities and they have yet to scrub anything for cleanliness, so why do people suddenly think they're going to do anything to Marvel? There is zero precedent for such a maneuver.

I think that for the "possible team-ups" ideas people throw around, while I'm sick of them I understand most people do this just for fun. The joke was done when the first person said "Howard the Duck and Donald Duck", yet it's just nonsense people play with.

As for fearing the worse, I don't get it either. While it's not very wise to trust "evil" corporations, I believe that the plans Disney revealed so far won't affect much Marvel but expanding their businesses outside the comics division. I think Disney was involved in some ways in the past in ABC and Miramax decisions, yet we got graphic movies like Pulp Fiction and Dogma is one of the most controversial movies ever. If Disney could finance these, I believe they'll be okay with gay teens and gruesome vigilantes.

Besides, isn't Marvel an "evil" corporation too? This union seems only natural.

Joshua wrote:Holy crap! A few weeks ago at a con I had some buddies of mine do me a sketch. I requested Cyclops fighting a grizzly bear. They took the liberty of making the bear Winnie the Pooh. That's fucking prophetic.
I know it's not as iconic as Winnie, but one of the
Brother Bear bears would have made much more sense.

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Someone mentioned Stan Lee earlier: Why would he have a problem with the deal? Isn't his POW! Entertainment involved with Disney at the moment?

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Knowing stan the man he's probably rubbing his hands in glee and muttering excelsior right now

krpykrwly

krpykrwly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Foxy wrote:

Possible Pixar/Marvel makes me happy in the pants. A few posts ago Doug mentioned Power Pack, I think that would be a great team for a kids movie or cartoon.

I'm digging this news. I do think that Marvel characters are going to end up in a theme park though. Maybe not right away but I think that's a very good likelihood.

Wiki says Disney XD has:
The Avengers
Fantastic Four
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man
Silver Surfer
The Spectacular Spider-Man[10]
Spider-Man
Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends
Spider-Man Unlimited
X-Men
X-Men Evolution

Couple thngs I'd love to see come out of this --
Disney/Larval Earth Crossover
Rocket Raccoon: 3D

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?ref=profile&

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Disney xd replaced jetix in the uk and one of the things it is showing is teen iron man or whatever its called

75Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. - Page 3 Empty Re: Disney to acquire Marvel Entertainment. Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:59 am

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Spidey_82 wrote:I think Disney was involved in some ways in the past in ABC and Miramax decisions, yet we got graphic movies like Pulp Fiction and Dogma is one of the most controversial movies ever. If Disney could finance these, I believe they'll be okay with gay teens and gruesome vigilantes.
To be fair, when Dogma started getting death threats for being anti-Catholic Disney cut ties, which is why it was distributed by Lions Gate instead of Miramax.

Besides, isn't Marvel an "evil" corporation too? This union seems only natural.
This is what I haven't understood. A lot of the of the more rabid fanboys are acting like Wal-mart bought some tiny mom & pop store, but Marvel is a huge corporation as well. This wasn't the case of a bully executing a hostile takeover. This was too very large businesses reaching a mutual agreement for the better of both.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum