Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tron Legacy

+17
Spideybono
Airwolf
Silent K
Parallax_48
Paroxysm
Combo Mo
Batman25JM
Velociraptor DJ
Joshua
Janson
jaydee74
Chi-Town Spidey
Debaser77
ChrisToPhenom
Nymn
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Denim
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

51Tron Legacy - Page 3 Empty Re: Tron Legacy Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:16 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Chi-Town Spidey wrote:You know, I WAS going to post some pics of Amy and I going out and partying with some of her friends who are attractive and single, but AFTER seeing these posts...yeah, NOT gonna happen...

...oh shit, I told them to come to c2e2.
Tonight's the night... ninja

52Tron Legacy - Page 3 Empty Re: Tron Legacy Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:46 pm

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

Tron Legacy - Page 3 Tronba10

^Click!

53Tron Legacy - Page 3 Empty Re: Tron Legacy Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:53 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I went to see it this morning and wrote a quick 'n sloppy review.

The first Tron, while telling a story that was novel, was mostly notable because of the never-before-seen visuals and the mood-setting music. The plot often didn't make a lot of sense and many logical concessions had to be made on the part of the audience. Its sequel, while sleeker and faster, operates under the same MO. Its aesthetically pleasing (though not in the same "unlike anything we've ever seen" way of its predecessor) and the music (provided by Daft Punk) is phenomenal, but if put under too much scrutiny it's kind of idiotic. That said, it's a worthy successor in the Tron hierarchy and despite some shallow moments and bloated screenplay, it's still worth a look.

The script never elevates itself past the visuals, and while mostly functional, is more of a hindrance than anything. It feels the need to make references to the original, but doesn't trust its audience enough to be subtle or clever about it. For example, the main protagonist breaks into Encom much the same way Flynn did in the original and goes through the "big door". The audience will recognize the door fondly from the original, without any more help than a visual cue, but the writer felt it necessary to have its protagonist repeat the dialogue, "Now that's a big door." We know it's a big door, we know it's from the first movie, don't insult us by spoon-feeding us jokes. This same kind of emulation happens a couple more times in the first hair hour and while it is annoying, it doesn't persist once we're taken to the Grid and it becomes a minor annoyance. The movie deals with some of the same subtext as the original, but is far more superficial about it and mostly just comes across as a lot of meaningless technobabble. It's a shame too because a smarter script could have made a good movie a very good movie.

The visuals, while not particularly groundbreaking are still rather pleasing and my only complaint is the completely unnecessary and distracting 3D. Normally I wouldn't have watched it in 3D, but none of my local theaters had a standard showing. A shame too, because I spent much of the movie commiserating about how dim the picture looked, which certainly took away from the experience. The 3D effect itself adds nothing to the movie and isn't worth the dull picture and the annoying glasses. I look forward to the day when I can watch it at home on television without the hindrance of a gimmick that's overstayed its welcome. Outside of the 3D, I found the movie aesthetically pleasing, both in terms of visual effects and design. It evokes some of the same tone of the original, while properly making updates to the world of the Grid. The light cycle battle is a real treat (thanks also in part to the music) and is the first time in the movie when I started to settle in and enjoy myself. It's very well done and definitely the highlight of the movie. What I found more impressive than the environments was the digital de-aging used on Jefff Bridges. It was mostly convincing without looking like his face had been pushed through a computer.

The musical score is one of the better of the year, both in composition and mood. I'd say that anywhere from 40-50% of the movie's success from the soundtrack. It's inspiring and really enhances scenes, both in terms of action and drama.

It's not a great movie, but neither was the first Tron. It was a fun movie with some novel concepts and good visuals and music. Tron Legacy doesn't reinvent the wheel, but it provides enough bells and whistles to keep us interested for the duration of the ride, even if the ride probably should have been 20 minutes shorter. It's not going to be any kind of cinematic classic, but there are worse ways to spend a couple of hours. Recommended, provided you liked the original.

Last edited by Joshua on Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:47 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Fixed paragraphs.)

54Tron Legacy - Page 3 Empty Re: Tron Legacy Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:01 pm

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

I disagree about the callbacks to the first movie. Ya gotta think...90% of the audience seeing Tron: Legacy has not seen the original. Why not include all those little tidbits for fans of the original? The "door" line is not just a callback to the original, but it shows a connection between father and son.

The reverence to the original was one of my favorite aspects of the flick.

55Tron Legacy - Page 3 Empty Re: Tron Legacy Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:26 pm

kidspider2099

kidspider2099
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

this going to make feel old but Tron came out when i was kid. I didn't until like years later and it was awesome and i always thought a sequel would be so cool and but it would never happened but somehow we got one anyway. I liked the new movie i think there people my age that saw the new one. There are also people that haven't seen the first one but because the new one will see the old one.

56Tron Legacy - Page 3 Empty Re: Tron Legacy Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:45 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Silent K wrote:I disagree about the callbacks to the first movie. Ya gotta think...90% of the audience seeing Tron: Legacy has not seen the original. Why not include all those little tidbits for fans of the original?
I didn't say don't include them, I said to be more subtle about it. Anyone who has seen the original will recognize the big door. We don't need Sam to repeat his father's exact dialogue when referencing said door. As for the majority of people being unfamiliar with the movie, it's not like removing that dialogue would worsen the movie for them.

The "door" line is not just a callback to the original, but it shows a connection between father and son.
This is where we differ. I didn't feel like it established a connection or that that was its intent. It just seemed like a cheap attempt at being cute.

57Tron Legacy - Page 3 Empty Re: Tron Legacy Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:04 pm

Chi-Town Spidey

Chi-Town Spidey
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Silent K wrote:I disagree about the callbacks to the first movie. Ya gotta think...90% of the audience seeing Tron: Legacy has not seen the original. Why not include all those little tidbits for fans of the original? The "door" line is not just a callback to the original, but it shows a connection between father and son.

The reverence to the original was one of my favorite aspects of the flick.

Me too! Especially "It's all the wrists!" lol

Anyways, saw it, loved it. Been a Tron Fan since the 80's. It's all good, man!

https://www.facebook.com/people/Chi-Town-Spidey/1331652244

58Tron Legacy - Page 3 Empty Re: Tron Legacy Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:46 pm

Paroxysm

Paroxysm
Zombie
Zombie

Tron Legacy is visually impressive and should be seen on the big screen. Unfortunately the script, dialogue, storyline, and acting all need work.

I don’t think Kosinski is a director who knows how to work with actors, the performances are either uneven like Hedlund’s, in some scenes he is flatly reading the lines and in others he is fantastic or wildly over the top and Wilde was interesting but with an extra push the character could've been much more.

The movie loses momentum after the first act and never gets it back and it violates the age old storytelling dictum, show, don’t tell.

https://www.facebook.com/people/Matt-Marshall/679612060#!/profile

59Tron Legacy - Page 3 Empty Re: Tron Legacy Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:35 am

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

One thing I did neglect to mention was the father/son aspect of the story, which did work pretty well. During the final confrontation with CLU Flynn's memories of his son as a child could have played too maudlin, but it felt genuine, which helped bring some much needed gravity to the scene.

60Tron Legacy - Page 3 Empty Re: Tron Legacy Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:46 am

Denim

Denim
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I remembewr walking out of Phantom Meanace and going to my buddies, "I waited over 20 yearsd for that piece of shit?"

I prayed and hoped I would not have had the same feeling for Legacy and I didn't, I absouloutly loved it. Tron was a movie I saw in the theatre as a kid and I always thought it was a great movie.

I am a happy denim.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/theusernameiwantedformyprofile

61Tron Legacy - Page 3 Empty Re: Tron Legacy Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:47 am

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Chi-Town Spidey wrote:I'll be seeing it on Sat. Really wish I could see it with someone who would enjoy it too. No-Go on my wife, she never seen the first movie and besides when I told her that one of my work customers was LucasFilm, she asked "What's that?"

*sigh* She so pop-culture deprived, it's unreal. Switch off the damn fucken reality TV Crap and watch something entertaining god damn it!!!! *breathes deeply* ...I'm okay....I'm okay....

I'm seeing this movie alone too Pete. Your wife watches reality shows too? Maybe we should make a support group for that? Does your wife watch all those Real Housewives shows? Ugh.

Anyway, going to see Tron today and very excited for it.

62Tron Legacy - Page 3 Empty Re: Tron Legacy Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:11 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I just saw Tron: Legacy and thought it was amazing. I really enjoyed the plot of the movie. The 3-D aspect was cool in certain parts but overall it really wasn't necessary. I loved how they did young Kevin Flynn and even how they did a younger version of Tron in the flashback. The mouth was the only part that didn't seemed all that great in that when he was talking, it didn't seem all that impressive but I still enjoyed it. The action scenes were great and the references to the original are awesome. I was very happy with this movie.

63Tron Legacy - Page 3 Empty Re: Tron Legacy Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:58 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Saw this today. I didn't see it in 3D because I fucking HATE 3D.

I enjoyed it. I've never seen the original, but that didn't hurt my enjoyment of the film.

I don't think I liked the movie as much as I thought I was going to, but I certainly liked it a lot.

I I love you Olivia Wilde.

The music was amazing.

64Tron Legacy - Page 3 Empty Re: Tron Legacy Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:12 am

pumkinheadfan

pumkinheadfan
Ninja
Ninja

Tron Legacy - Page 3 Tumblr_lezivy86R61qcm6wao1_500
Temporary cover with a tentative April Release date.

65Tron Legacy - Page 3 Empty Re: Tron Legacy Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:44 pm

Sandman

Sandman
Ninja
Ninja

pumkinheadfan wrote:Tron Legacy - Page 3 Tumblr_lezivy86R61qcm6wao1_500
Temporary cover with a tentative April Release date.
definitly gonna pick this up!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum