Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Next time you look at yourself in a mirror

+8
Ska
shark6495
FroZen
Spaced4SimonPegg
Que
prescribeddrone
BlueMaxx
riv1
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Remember that scientists have yet to discover how neural networks create self-consciousness, let alone how the human brain processes two-dimensional retinal images into the three-dimensional phenomenon known as perception. Yet we somehow brazenly declare seeing is believing?
So what exactly are we seeing? And what are others seeing when they look at us? When we look at others are we seeing what they see when they look at themselves?
Thank GOD aspirin can work with one's eyes closed......Next time you look at yourself in a mirror Dazed

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Holy shit! I've thought about that. Sort of in that sense. I mean, color-blindness for instance. Makes sense that certain people don't see the same lighting or contrast and stuff. But what if we don't see the same colors? I can explain that better. Uh...what if what I see is blue is actually green to the rest of the world, you know? Like, everyone still sees the sky and ocean as blue, like I do, but it would actually be green if I were to see it through their eyes. And vice versa for green. ...am I making sense? Heh.

Also, perception of self is an interesting concept. We're so hard on ourselves when we forget that "flaws" can be really attractive in certain instances. Freckles, wide hips, etc. Sometimes "flaws" can look appealing depending on who the person is. Of course, getting to know someone can make someone more physically attractive, and their "flaws" become things you like about them because they are them, you know?

Like having a zit that seems like it is your face everytime you look in the mirror, but most people don't even notice you have a blemish, even when they're talking to you up-close. Or think notice it and don't care all that much.

Perception is such a cool subject. From science (quantum) to philosophy (mind over matter), they can totally win ears at a party. ...I'm such a nerd. tongue

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Perception is cool, hell I named my tattoo design the eye of perception.

Nietzsche - "There are no facts, only interpretations,"

Smile

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen, nor touched ... but are felt in the heart."
- Helen Keller

"What you see and hear depends a good deal on where you are standing; it also depends on what sort of person you are."
- C.S. Lewis

"All civilization in a sense exists only in the mind. Gunpowder, textile arts, machinery, laws, telephones are not themselves transmitted from man to man or from generation to generation, at least not permanently. It is the perception, the knowledge and understanding of them, their ideas in the Platonic sense, that are passed along. Everything social can have existence only through mentality."
- Alfred L. Kroeber

"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite."
- William Blake

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Nice quotes!

Que

Que
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

riv1 wrote:Remember that scientists have yet to discover how neural networks create self-consciousness, let alone how the human brain processes two-dimensional retinal images into the three-dimensional phenomenon known as perception. Yet we somehow brazenly declare seeing is believing?
So what exactly are we seeing? And what are others seeing when they look at us? When we look at others are we seeing what they see when they look at themselves?
Thank GOD aspirin can work with one's eyes closed......Next time you look at yourself in a mirror Dazed

Next time you look at yourself in a mirror Wtf_am10

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

That's for you to know and me to find out.

Spaced4SimonPegg

Spaced4SimonPegg
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

So your saying I don't need Pro Active because what I am looking at in the mirror is an illusion Suspect

FroZen

FroZen
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Here's a fav:

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here’s Tom with the weather."-Bill Hicks

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Bluemaxx I am slightly confused. Are you saying you would see blue but think its green? or when you see blue everyone else sees in "reality" it is green? I just got done with a neurology class along with an anatomy and physiology class and the brain is amazing. Actually how the human body forms is amazing. Science can point to where neurons go, and how they "fire" but no one, as riv1 said, has figured out how simple electric discharges create memories and personalities.......

http://whiskeytangofoxtrott.blogspot.com/

Ska

Ska
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

So is this like one of those perception things where for example, I think I'm fat, but Kerouac insists that I'm not? lol!

http://www.myspace.com/kristinellenamarie

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

Ska wrote:So is this like one of those perception things where for example, I think I'm fat, but Kerouac insists that I'm not? lol!

No...that's just you being a woman.

Ska

Ska
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Silent K wrote:
Ska wrote:So is this like one of those perception things where for example, I think I'm fat, but Kerouac insists that I'm not? lol!

No...that's just you being a woman.

I've been told that too. XD

http://www.myspace.com/kristinellenamarie

FroZen

FroZen
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

shark6495 wrote: Science can point to where neurons go, and how they "fire" but no one, as riv1 said, has figured out how simple electric discharges create memories and personalities.......

They keep forgetting to carry the 1 and subtracting from Pi.

Scientists are stupid.

tongue

Spaced4SimonPegg

Spaced4SimonPegg
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

FroZen wrote:
shark6495 wrote: Science can point to where neurons go, and how they "fire" but no one, as riv1 said, has figured out how simple electric discharges create memories and personalities.......

They keep forgetting to carry the 1 and subtracting from Pi.

Scientists are stupid.

tongue

Doesn't everything revolve around pie?? Ohhh wait that's the wrong kind of pie Twisted Evil

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Not if you're Homer Simpson it's not!

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Spaced4SimonPegg wrote:So your saying I don't need Pro Active because what I am looking at in the mirror is an illusion Suspect
No, the illusion is that Pro Active acts like it is something special compared to the other uncostly blemish treatments. Wink I tried that stuff in middle school and it tore my face apart. I switched to Phisoderm soap and cleared me up. Cheap and it didn't burn my face. Course, people are different.

FroZen wrote:Here's a fav:

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here’s Tom with the weather."-Bill Hicks
Hrm. Seems that young man on acid discovered Aboriginal beliefs. tongue

[quote="shark6495"]Bluemaxx I am slightly confused. Are you saying you would see blue but think its green? or when you see blue everyone else sees in "reality" it is green?quote]
That last part seems close enough. To see green, but I'm actually seeing blue, even though someone else is seeing a different color but we are "seeing" the same color; going, "Yeah, that's green," but it is only because our brains are reading what they've put down for that color, you know?

What a weird phenomena. Just because you're not a stick... Not stick is hot. Don't think girls get that. You're healthy, and not even chubby.

...you put that question on there for compliments, didn't you, Kristin? Suspect

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

bluemaxx i understand. I have always thought it would be a cool experiment to train kids that certain colors were different names and see how they could work in public....

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

That's some SICK, demented SHIT, man.

Wish i'd thought of it when my kids were born!

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ Exactly what I was gonna say. Laughing That's fucked. That's like that old experiment with that teacher who told her class that kids with brown eyes can't be as intelligent as those with blue. Those adults, now elderly, are still fucked up from that one school year with that experimenting whore.

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Never heard of that, when did it happen?

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

http://www.janeelliott.com/

FroZen

FroZen
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

shark6495 wrote:bluemaxx i understand. I have always thought it would be a cool experiment to train kids that certain colors were different names and see how they could work in public....

He wouldn't stop at a red light he'd stop at "Kerpoppin".

that's just silly tongue

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

FroZen wrote:
shark6495 wrote:bluemaxx i understand. I have always thought it would be a cool experiment to train kids that certain colors were different names and see how they could work in public....

He wouldn't stop at a red light he'd stop at "Kerpoppin".

that's just silly tongue

Oh I wouldnt make up new names.... it would go like this

Blue would be called red
Red would be called green
Green would be called yellow
Yellow would be called Purple
Purple would be called Orange
Orange would be called Blue

Yeah I would probably fuck up a bunch of kids for the rest of their lives but it would be interesting.... "The sky is a wonderful shade of red, and the green stop sign is beginning to fade...." lol

FroZen

FroZen
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

shark6495 wrote:"The sky is a wonderful shade of red, and the green stop sign is beginning to fade...." lol

I want to live in that world. neutral

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum