Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brightest Day

+42
TheBrownLantern
DickGrayson007
dmahoney
WonderWoman2.0
elijahdprophet
TheeDoctorWhoHasDreads?
Zeroskull21
Debaser77
LordD3r3k
G_Zatara
JonSpangler
shark6495
superdoug
LOOSECANNON
Hannibal king
Spazzy
rwe1138
Spider_Fan14
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
blue halo
Tom
Foreigner_Man
Demonweasel
jaydee74
Mnemosis
Jherek
Esbat
alucardbarnivous
Rath99
Aussiemandias
shiky800
krpykrwly
comicgeekelly
Joshua
Sandman
BrodieBruce_BlaculaHunter
BlueMaxx
Batman25JM
Fresh03
prescribeddrone
Bigtymin504
shining knight
46 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 22  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 22]

101Brightest Day - Page 5 Empty Re: Brightest Day Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:45 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Brightest Day #0

Good issue. All the characters' stories were well laid out, some more interesting than others. I particularly enjoyed the stories for DeadAliveman, the Hawks, and Martian Manhunter. I'm really liking the idea of J'onn trying to bring Mars back to life. The Aquaman/Mera story was a bit thinner than I had hoped, but it still had a skinny-dipping Mera so it gets a pass. Osiris also has me intrigued. The other stories with Hawk & Dove, Boomerang, and Jade were kinda meh for me. Also, Ronnie Raymond is a total d-bag.

Overall I really liked the set-up for this. Honestly, the idea of another year-long DC weekly (every 2 weeks in this case) had me concerned cuz the last two, Countdown and Trinity, were so disastrous. Not to mention a year-long comic maxi-series is never easy to pull off. But this definitely seems like it has its shit together, especially considering the talented creators on it. Johns, Tomasi, and the cast of artists on this book are very promising. Plus, if there's one thing that Geoff Johns knows how to do at this point, it's "rebirth" characters. Laughing

102Brightest Day - Page 5 Empty Re: Brightest Day Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:17 am

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Brightest Day #0

I really loved this. It set things up nicely, and it has me interested in all the characters, even ones I don't really care much for. Deadman is definitely the one I'm most interested in. I never disliked him, but honestly, prior to this and Blackest Night I couldn't really have cared less about him. Also, I really liked Hawk in this issue. I had zero exposure to him in comics prior to this and Blackest Night. The only time I'd seen him was in JLU.

103Brightest Day - Page 5 Empty Re: Brightest Day Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:28 pm

Hannibal king

Hannibal king
Zombie
Zombie

Anyone want to hazard a guess on who's talking to Deadman through the ring?

104Brightest Day - Page 5 Empty Re: Brightest Day Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:36 pm

Sandman

Sandman
Ninja
Ninja

Hannibal king wrote:Anyone want to hazard a guess on who's talking to Deadman through the ring?
i just assumed it was the entity

105Brightest Day - Page 5 Empty Re: Brightest Day Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:53 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Brightest Day #0

There’s two reasons for my having such extreme expectations in this bi-monthly series: 1.) 52 is my favorite thing to come out of DC Comics ever, and 2.) I was a lot more impressed with the final chapter to Blackest Night than most critics and fans. 52 was exactly that: fifty-two weeks of comics that introduced new or reinvigorated players to DC continuity while Bruce, Clark and Diana were well out of the picture following Infinite Crisis. 52 was a series so good, it had me invest in characters I never imagined I would: Batwoman, Booster Gold, and a female Question, among a surplus of others. And while Blackest Night #8, and the crisis itself, wasn’t quite the classic Johns had intended, the zombie-infested crossover opened the gates to an upcoming year’s worth of story that should keep Brightest Day at the top of most punchlists for the duration.

Issue #0 is narrated in anthology format by Boston Brand, formerly Deadman (considering he’s alive, albeit invisible, that name is likely inappropriate from here on out), who witnesses the twelve revived heroes and villains at their very best, or absolute worst; even in some cases, at their most zestfully passionate.

The goal from co-writers Geoff Johns and Peter Tomasi is a fairly simple one: introduce or renew the interests of DC’s b-listers to the forefront. This concept to Brightest Day could have come off fairly tedious if not for the interesting mix of situations and characterizations presented throughout. At 48-pages with no ads to boot, Brightest Day #0 is quite the extensive read. Just about every vignette is enjoyable to some degree or another. While the reacquainted Aquaman and Hera’s opener comes off as a mere tease, this only makes their area of concern that more intriguing. As you could see by the humorous disgust on Boston’s face, alone time for the couple is all that was needed. Fanboys also wondering why Martian Manhunter appeared so inharmoniously content upon his arrival in Blackest Night’s conclusion now get their answer: the poignant notion of J’Onn’s wife and child never making it back with the white light.

That white light of resurrection is both a reoccurring symbol and allegory throughout the issue. Boston Brand’s new twist on his powers takes this little known character to the top; Dove’s white mysticism refuses to coincide with Hawk’s old school tactics when he goes on the offensive (which is sure to make the foolhardy Hawk one of the new cult favorites); and the epilogue exposes one’s avarice in obtaining this ubiquitous power once tasted.

Above all, artist Fernando Pasarin is the star of this show. The relatively unknown penciler is a welcome addition to the likes of Green Lantern superstars Ivan Reis and Patrick Gleason, outperforming any expectations set from the get-go. Pasarin’s linework and character detail should remind those of the aforementioned Reis or a Doug Mahnke, and his dynamics aren’t far off from that of this issue’s cover artist David Finch. Surprisingly, the large number of inkers contributing to the issue never gets in the way of Pasarin’s performance, and Peter Steigerwald’s colors allow viewers to understand that while the title’s Brightest Day, not all forthcoming is going to be. The slightly faded hues are an ironic contract from those neon colors of Blackest Night, which keeps this bi-monthly series grounded and allows for a little more realism than that of sci-fi zombies.

Pending your personal preference, some of these stories and characters will impress you more than others; my only wish for future issues of Brightest Day is for the series to allow enough character exposure equally as possible among the twelve. I know it’s an unlikely task, but if Johns and Tomasi can make Osiris, Boomerang and Jade as interesting as say, Hawkman, Firestorm and Maxwell Lord, then there’s no doubt we’ll have another triumphant 52 on our hands.

4.5/5 Bags&Boards - Superior debut

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

106Brightest Day - Page 5 Empty Re: Brightest Day Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:04 pm

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I have one question:

Spoiler:

I'm sure my question will be answered in time, but that's the only thing that leapt out at me.

107Brightest Day - Page 5 Empty Re: Brightest Day Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:09 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

This was an incredible setup for the first issue of this series. I'm a bit confused on Martian Manhunter's comment about him being the only Martian. What happened to Ms. Martian from the Teen Titans? I absolutely loved the interaction between Jason and Ronnie. It looks like those two are the ones that will make up Firestorm which should be really interesting. I loved the interaction between Flash and Captain Boomerang. I'm a bit lost as to what Max Lord was up to but I guess it will be revealed soon enough. I loved how everything was seen through Deadman and I am excited to see what his role will be in this. Also, Sinestro finding the White Power Battery is interesting.

108Brightest Day - Page 5 Empty Re: Brightest Day Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:33 pm

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I took Jonn's comment to mean the only green Martian. I don't remember, but I don't think the White Martians were exactly native to Mars.

109Brightest Day - Page 5 Empty Re: Brightest Day Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:41 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ah. Good point.

110Brightest Day - Page 5 Empty Re: Brightest Day Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:35 pm

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Brightest Day 0

Just picked this up today. Very cool stuff. Makes me very excited to read whats going on from here on out. I may have missed all of the blackest night stuff (yeah my bad) but I followed enough of the reviews to know whats going on. But man oh man this is the start of an awesome run

http://whiskeytangofoxtrott.blogspot.com/

111Brightest Day - Page 5 Empty Re: Brightest Day Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:23 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Anyone know what's going on with Professor Zoom? He returned at the end of Blackest Night, but he's also still locked up here. I'm probably just missing something, but what's going on?

112Brightest Day - Page 5 Empty Re: Brightest Day Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:29 pm

Fresh03

Fresh03
Ninja
Ninja

Anyone know what's going on with Professor Zoom? He returned at the end of Blackest Night, but he's also still locked up here. I'm probably just missing something, but what's going on?

Didn't Barry snatch him up in Blackest Night 8?

113Brightest Day - Page 5 Empty Re: Brightest Day Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:55 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Yeah, they threw him and Boomerang back in Iron Heights...only Max Lord remains free...

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

114Brightest Day - Page 5 Empty Re: Brightest Day Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:55 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Fresh03 wrote:

No I'm pretty sure Thawne got away. Plus remember back in the Blackest Night: Flash mini that Thawne was shown to be locked up at that prison (not to mention he had a White Lantern symbol flashing from him, probably a precursor to him being resurrected). So is the one that came back to life in BN from a different time or something? Are there two Professor Zooms exhisting in this timeline at the moment? And another thing oh no I've gone crosseyed blink

115Brightest Day - Page 5 Empty Re: Brightest Day Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:36 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:
Fresh03 wrote:

No I'm pretty sure Thawne got away. Plus remember back in the Blackest Night: Flash mini that Thawne was shown to be locked up at that prison (not to mention he had a White Lantern symbol flashing from him, probably a precursor to him being resurrected). So is the one that came back to life in BN from a different time or something? Are there two Professor Zooms exhisting in this timeline at the moment? And another thing oh no I've gone crosseyed blink

I've been wondering about Thawne myself. He was captured in Flash: Rebirth, and then in Blackest Night: Flash, Barry was talking about how Thawne had to come back to life sometime in the future and then go back in time to when Flash: Rebirth took place. Then at the end of Blackest Night Thawne was reborn and got away. So, I'm assuming that either a) there are two Professor Zoom's in the present, or b) when Thawne escaped in Blackest Night #8 he went back in time to when Rebirth took place.

116Brightest Day - Page 5 Empty Re: Brightest Day Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:38 pm

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Batman25JM wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:
Fresh03 wrote:

I've been wondering about Thawne myself. He was captured in Flash: Rebirth, and then in Blackest Night: Flash, Barry was talking about how Thawne had to come back to life sometime in the future and then go back in time to when Flash: Rebirth took place. Then at the end of Blackest Night Thawne was reborn and got away. So, I'm assuming that either a) there are two Professor Zoom's in the present, or b) when Thawne escaped in Blackest Night #8 he went back in time to when Rebirth took place.

i would hope they at least mention this with like a panel, or something. Instead of just letting us all assume it ya know

http://whiskeytangofoxtrott.blogspot.com/

117Brightest Day - Page 5 Empty Re: Brightest Day Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:21 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Awesome stuff in this book. My only problem with it is that I could not care less about Osiris.

118Brightest Day - Page 5 Empty Re: Brightest Day Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:22 am

JonSpangler

JonSpangler
Pirate
Pirate

shark6495 wrote:
Batman25JM wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:
Fresh03 wrote:

i would hope they at least mention this with like a panel, or something. Instead of just letting us all assume it ya know

They did in the C2E2 Brightest Day Panel. Jones confirmed it was a head dizzying thing to think about. And while i do not know his word for word response he pretty much said there was only one Zoom and that time travel was involved.

119Brightest Day - Page 5 Empty Re: Brightest Day Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:09 am

G_Zatara

G_Zatara
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I think I might have been the only one bored with this.

Johns could be so much better than this.

120Brightest Day - Page 5 Empty Re: Brightest Day Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:16 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

One thing I have to say about Brightest Day #0 is what a great job Fernando Pasarin did on the art. I think it's the best work I've seen from him. Especially the opening Deadman and Aquaman pages - just beautiful work.

Mnemosis wrote:While I'm curious about Deadman, this issue seemed too forced with him showing up to "Scrooge on Christmas Eve" his way through the resurrected.
I have to admit that was a really weak plot device. However, if you look at this issue as what it really was which was a teaser for Brightest Day then it was really just a method to bring it all together.

Bigtymin504 wrote:Brightest Day #0

Also, Ronnie Raymond is a total d-bag.
I just remember him being a lot more mature than this. Maybe my memory's off.

superdoug wrote:I have one question:

Spoiler:

I'm sure my question will be answered in time, but that's the only thing that leapt out at me.
Yep, I don't get that either and it had me confused too. Didn't they end up being Black Lanterns though so I'm not sure where their bodies ended up. But, yeah, your question's a good one.

jaydee74 wrote:
I'm a bit lost as to what Max Lord was up to but I guess it will be revealed soon enough.
I believe he was using his power to wipe everyone's memory of him coming back. I wasn't originally going to get Justice League:Generation Lost but I'm actually quite interested now.

121Brightest Day - Page 5 Empty Re: Brightest Day Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:22 am

Sandman

Sandman
Ninja
Ninja

ok here are my takes on these

superdoug wrote:I have one question:

Spoiler:

Khufu & Chay-ara were covered in the Violet crystals right? so they in essance were the violet central battery. but it was the crystal that covered them that was the ower source. It was thier love that was so strong that it created teh crystal in the first place. Now as we have seen in Brightest Night #0 those crystals still have power and I believe that the sliver the "modern" Hawks are following will ossibly lead them into an ambush or something and try to crystalize them as a replacement or try to get the original bodies back. I think the Power is still in the crystals but it could be losing ower with out the source.

122Brightest Day - Page 5 Empty Re: Brightest Day Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:04 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

JonSpangler wrote:They did in the C2E2 Brightest Day Panel. Jones confirmed it was a head dizzying thing to think about. And while i do not know his word for word response he pretty much said there was only one Zoom and that time travel was involved.

Yeah hunted down the quote:
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/c2e2-2010-brightest-day-100417.html

Q: Timeline for Zoom?

Johns: "I know the timeline is really wacky, I musta been drunk when I wrote that..."
With Reverse Flash, Johns "tries to do everything in reverse"
There's time travel involved, and Reverse Flash will be used in Brightest Day and Flash

At least he knows its wacky. Laughing

123Brightest Day - Page 5 Empty Re: Brightest Day Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:21 pm

Sandman

Sandman
Ninja
Ninja

HAHA I KNEW IT!!!

ACTION COMICS #891
On sale JULY 28 • 40 pg, FC $3.99 US
Written by PAUL CORNELL • Art by PETE WOODS
Cover by DAVID FINCH & joe weems
When Lex Luthor finally regained control of LexCorp, he thought he had everything he wanted. But in BLACKEST NIGHT, he briefly became an Orange Lantern and got a taste of true power. Now he’ll do anything – anything – to get that power back. Buckle in for a greatest hits tour of the DCU’s most wanted as Lex Luthor begins an epic quest for power, all brought to you by new ongoing writer Paul Cornell (Dr. Who, Captain Britain and MI-13) and artist Pete Woods (WORLD OF NEW KRYPTON), with covers by David Finch (BRIGHTEST DAY, Ultimatum)!

Brightest Day - Page 5 Ac_cv891_02

124Brightest Day - Page 5 Empty Re: Brightest Day Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:41 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I might actually buy that. Never expected to buy Action Comics.

125Brightest Day - Page 5 Empty Re: Brightest Day Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:23 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

My LCS finally just got this, so I'm a bit late. But yeah, I enjoyed this as well. And I'm pretty sure I'm locked in to buy just about every teaser they put at the end of the book Laughing

They have the potential here to make 2010 an excellent year

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 22]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 22  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum