Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Does anyone else get excited when titles cancel?

+11
hrdwrkngXsoldier
comicgeekelly
Joshua
Tom
Administrator
Batman25JM
shining knight
The Ignored One
Aussiemandias
prescribeddrone
LOOSECANNON
15 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

I'm not kidding.

When they announced all the Avengers books were going poof, not one soul took this serious. We KNOW there's an Avengers book coming out. Does this mean it will combine New, Dark and Mighty into one book? Not a chance in hell. Does this mean we'll be getting less Avengers books? Maybe. Maybe Marvel realizes most fans can't afford to buy 6 different books of the same character(s) in these days and times and is holding back a bit. One can only hope.

Then yesterday, as I'm filling out my Previews book for March (yes I'm a few weeks late, blame my LCS), I notice there's no more Doctor Voodoo. While I'm enjoying the book, and find the arts and mysticism of it all pretty intriguing--considering I never bought such a book before--I'm glad to see it go. Why?

Saving $.

We all need to do it. So the more books that get canceled the better. Oh, why don't you just trim you're punch list you say? Well, I really did. I notice a lot LESS books being filled out for March, and hopefully this continues. It probably won't, because I'm so addicted to comics and I feel left out if I don't buy all the "essential" titles (I guess if you want to call Doctor Voodoo and Incredible Hercules essential). You know what I mean.

Here's to hoping we see more cancelations in the future. king

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I know what you mean my first thought is usually "oh well, at least I'll probably get 1 or 2 books less now which adds up to like 48 bucks being saved something else.

When I got back into comics 3 years ago I didn't expect to have a 20-25 worth of comics a month. I figured, I dunno maybe 5-10 at most.... Laughing

but honestly space is more of a problem than saving cash, comics are stealing all my free space in almost every empty spot i got in my room Suspect

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

If a book you're getting gets cancelled and it doesn't really worry you then I'd suggest you should have dropped it before it got cancelled because you're actually wasting your money.

I'd suggest you try this if you're spending too much on comics. Go through a list of each title you get and ask yourself if you'd care if it got cancelled. If the answer's no then drop it.

I'm certain that people buying comics that they find mediocre just for the sake of it is the reason some mediocre comics have high sales.

The Ignored One

The Ignored One
Zombie
Zombie

With the cancellation of Dr. Voodoo, I'm only gonna grab Siege and Doom War from Marvel.

http://entertainmentdeficitdisorder.wordpress.com/

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:If a book you're getting gets cancelled and it doesn't really worry you then I'd suggest you should have dropped it before it got cancelled because you're actually wasting your money.

I'd suggest you try this if you're spending too much on comics. Go through a list of each title you get and ask yourself if you'd care if it got cancelled. If the answer's no then drop it.

I'm certain that people buying comics that they find mediocre just for the sake of it is the reason some mediocre comics have high sales.

what he said I shunted (ohh I like that word) all the titans titles and magog because I was hating them and also got rid of angel as well. outsiders is on last legs as is justice league and powergirl. Adventure is gone due to it synching up with the superman titles which I only get in reprint

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Aussiemandias wrote:If a book you're getting gets cancelled and it doesn't really worry you then I'd suggest you should have dropped it before it got cancelled because you're actually wasting your money.

GREAT response. My thing is, I'll check out a book, like the debut, buy the 2nd issue, realize it isn't the greatest book, not buy the third issue, it gets great reviews, go back and buy the 3rd issue, then buy the 4th, then it's canceled and so I just buy the fifth to conclude the arc.

That seems to be the trend with a lot of these "mediocre" titles...

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I know what you mean about getting excited. Like you said, it makes me happy to save money. Some of the books I buy I don't love but continue to buy because I love the character or want to know what's going on. For example, no matter how much I'm hating an arc of Batman (the main book) I'll continue to buy it because I love Batman. Right now I'm hating Green Arrow, but I love the character so I'll continue to buy it. Plus, I wanna know what's going on. So, if it were to be canceled I'd be kinda happy.

I get really happy when a book I'm about to drop is canceled. That way my decision is made for me. It's happening now with Mighty Avengers. I was really close to dropping it and now that it's being canceled I don't have to debate whether or not to drop it.

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Exactly Batman25JM....exactly.

Here are some of the comics I WANT canceled NOW!

-Nova (this book just hasn't been the same since Secret Invasion)

-Mighty Avengers (for no other reason than that there are too many Avengers books...and our wish is granted)

-Doctor Voodoo (it's actually really good, but doesn't really impact the overall scheme of Marvel...next month is the last issue)

-Gotham City Sirens (I feel so invested in these 3 fun gals, but again, it really doesn't impact DC...at all)

-Batman: S.O.G. (I actually dropped the book, then you guys couldn't stop raving about it and I got suckered into buying it again....we don't need 100 Batman books, but I do like it's "outside the box" look at Gotham)

-Agents of Atlas (It's canceled you say? Well, they keep coming out with a hundred thousand minis...and they're all friggin' good. Jeff Parker needs to jump on a main character and let this team stick to backing Inc. Herc.)

-Incredible Hercules (I just jumped on it for Assault on New Olympus and the book has been fabulous...but it's sloppily promoted and Marvel isn't really making this epic war a big deal. The solicits have the "Downfall of Herc" or something, so I guess our wish is granted here)

-Booster Gold (Again, I have all the trades and I've been buying the single issues for 7 or 7 months now. The book is always interesting but it's not really needed. I want to drop it so bad...)

-Action Comics/Superman (these are easily the most mediocre books I buy every month...yet I keep getting them...they will never cancel for obvious reasons)

-Wolverine Origins and X-Men: Legacy (both picks have been really good as of late, making them awfully tough to drop...Origins is ending soon and Legacy is the best thing about Necrosha...)

-Outsiders (finally dropped last month!...Failed at it's enormous potential...Didio replacing Tomasi? Not even a Superman character can save that)

Books I miss that got dropped (or are in the process)

-Ghost Rider (one of my favorites, Jason Aaron's run on GR is the best ever)

-Captain Britain & MI:13 (so different than anything else, missing my James Bond book)

-Immortal Iron Fist (it was fun reading a Kung-Fu book every month and other than some inconsistent 1-shots at the end, the run was pretty damn good)

Books I see getting dropped:

-Moon Knight (I love it but it's basically a white-coweled Batman...you know it's not selling)

-Adventure Comics (once Johns is gone, they usually fail.)

-Hulk (please?)

-Black Panther (just sayin'...)

-Thunderbolts (Z-list)

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Okay, it was easy to tell you "Quit what you don't like", but wishing a book you like (Incredible Hercules) to get canceled just because low promotion by the publisher? Seriously?! And Gotham City Sirens "really doesn't impact DC"? Who said fanboys ain't got any logic?

Agents of Atlas been canceled for long months now, the one-shots and specials are Marvel's way of keeping the team "alive".

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

Tom

Tom
Ninja
Ninja

LOOSECANNON wrote:I'm not kidding.

Saving $.

We all need to do it. So the more books that get canceled the better. Oh, why don't you just trim you're punch list you say? Well, I really did. I notice a lot LESS books being filled out for March, and hopefully this continues. It probably won't, because I'm so addicted to comics and I feel left out if I don't buy all the "essential" titles (I guess if you want to call Doctor Voodoo and Incredible Hercules essential). You know what I mean.

Here's to hoping we see more cancelations in the future. king

Nice to know I'm not the only one that thinks this way. If Amazing Spider-Man went back down to 1 issue a month and all the extra Wolverines got canceled, I'd surely buy those titles again. I may get "Web of Spider-Man" if the story lines prove to be decent after a few issues.

As it stands, I only collect 3 titles a month b/c of my budget: Green Lantern, GL Corps, and Sweet Tooth. I may get Flash when "Rebirth" is over, but I'm not sure. Also considering Thor.

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I don't really get this. If you don't want to spend the money on the title, then stop. It's pretty easy, actually.

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Joshua, I told you I was addicted to comics and basically "having the feeling of NEEDING to know" what's going on...I could drop them all...but I just can't...I feel too invested in titles once I start buying them...I'm not really a collecter either, I don't get it.

Tomer...I get what you're saying...I feel like Two-Face right now. Half of me wants to read the title because the writer and the artist is really good at making the characters interesting. The point is, if we didn't have all these titles, I, along with a lot of you, would be that much richer. Gotham City Sirens is a wonderful book; Incredible Hercules' lastest arc Assault on New Olympus is probably going to be better than Seige. You're right. It should have nothing to do with sales or promotions or reviews. While I love these books, if they were canceled, I would not miss him. Like Aussie said. Yet, in the meanwhile I can't help but buy them.

I just don't know anymore! lol!

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Here's what I'd say you do. Drop all the titles that you mentioned earlier and just torrent them if you really want to read them.

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

I started torrenting books for a while but I found them heavily annoying to read in PDF format...I don't know...hindsight is 50/50 I guess...I'm becoming a lot more skeptical with forthcoming titles so my punchlist is getting smaller by the month.

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Loose growed up too much. Now you have to leave Never Never Land....

Seriously though, if you are compulsively purchasing books you don't care about you should get help. Compulsive shopping is a bad thing, and next thing you know we are going to see you on an episode of hoarders. Your doing good to admit to us that you have a problem, now get help.

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

hahaha this has always been my downfall....I own 300-something DVD's I never watch, I own thousands of CD's I never listen to (hello MP3's), and now I own hundreds of comics I will probably never read again. Also, last year, I started collecting Marvel U Heroes figures that I'm now sorta embarassed by.

But you can do nothing but move on...I guess I will never learn.

Metal Misfit

Metal Misfit
Zombie
Zombie

Forget canceling monthlies, they should just stop flooding the market with minis and one-shots that serve no purpose. I can't believe how much garbage fills up the Top 200.

http://metalmisfit.wordpress.com

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Metal Misfit wrote:Forget canceling monthlies, they should just stop flooding the market with minis and one-shots that serve no purpose. I can't believe how much garbage fills up the Top 200.

Scary thing is, a lot of these mini's and one-shots are better than the ongoings...sure, a lot of them don't get the press the ongoings get, but I won't lie--a lot of the Dark Reign mini's were actually pretty damn good...but for every good gem you get 3 or 4 horrendous mini's and one-shots, so I will agree with you on that.

Metal Misfit

Metal Misfit
Zombie
Zombie

Though I don't really care about event tie-ins, at least in theory they are relevant and as you said they can make some sales based on just being a tie-in.

What I'm really talking about is the extremely pointless stuff like a Lobo mini or those 80 page giants. Marvel is the worst though on a consistent basis. Recent examples would be the Clone Saga, all that X-Men Origins stuff, Iron Man minis (c'mon guys, he had a huge movie but still no one cares about his comics, same thing happened with Blade), Ghost Rider minis, Wolverine one-shots, X-Men minis & one-shots... It's all bottom of the barrel stuff. Even FF gets one-shots and minis and who is even reading the main book? Laughing That whole franchise is an embarrassment right now.

Those books don't feature A-list creators and might as well be out-of-continuity for all of the relevance they have on the main titles.

http://metalmisfit.wordpress.com

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Yikes! I agreed with you upon until you dissed two things.

First, the Ghost Rider mini is actually Jason Aaron's "farewell" to what everone--smart--would agree is the definitive run on the character. Sure, he's never going to be a huge part of Seige or join the Avengers or anything like that, but Aaron's was AWESOME. This 6-part mini is the conclusion to his to his run. It's a shame Marvel markets that way, for keeping these 6 issues would've worked and sold much better as an ongoing.

Second, how dare you lambast the Fantastic Four! Johnathan Hickman's on the book now, which for a lot of people out of the loop these days means nothing, but if you've been following his Secret Warriors ongoing, then you know the man means business. He's definitely one of Marvel's up-and-coming writers and so far has made a lot of people forget about the not-overly-fantastic run by Millar. Shame on you!

Otherwise, I agree. I refused to buy any of the mini's or one-shots you mentioned.

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I have cut books that I find I'm not enjoying enough for whatever reason. There are so many books out there that I am only interested in getting a few books that I know I just can't live without. Everything else? I don't worry about them.

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I like when minis end, and if an ongoing is bugging me I'll toss it. I used to be bad at sticking with titles even if they were bad, but no more! Heh. I'll admit, even if I do like a series and it is getting cancelled or is just ending, I get a little gleeful, knowing that I'll have some space for a new title.

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I've been thinking about dropping some books lately because the recent arc(s) were lacklaster. But I'm always hoping the next arc will be better and stick with it. But lately.. I've had books sitting around from 3 weeks ago because I just don't feel the motivation to read it. So yeah, that's probably a sign I should drop it, but like Loose says, it's a sickness Laughing

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I don't get excited for a cancellation for a book. I know that even though a book may not be my favorite, chances are it's someone's favorite book or near close to the top of the list. So, while I won't shed a tear if a certain book gets cancelled, I feel badly for the people who were enjoying the book. Having had books in the past that I enjoyed cancelled, I understand the disappointment of a cancelled book.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum