Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Spoiler Bible

+2
Silent K
hrdwrkngXsoldier
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Spoiler Bible Empty Spoiler Bible Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:41 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

This is in response to this weeks BLAAARGH!"Spoiler Warnings" by Lee
http://panelsonpages.com/?p=19392

I sited some of these on the main board, but for some reason a lot of you people don't remember the main site exists, so this may get your attention.

This will be the 10 comandments of Spoilers....work in progress. I'll start us out.

1. If there is an event, television show, publication, and/or movie that you have a desire to see and don't want to have it spoiled the primary responsibility falls on you. To avoid spoilers you should stay away from pop-culture sites, blogs, message boards, and sometimes even the news. You pretty much have to create a deadspace for your existance about the topic.

2. If something you are trying to avoid having spoiled for you is brought up in conversation, politely ask them not to talk about it. EXAMPLE: "Oh, I haven't seen that yet. I heard it was awesome, but can we please not talk about it until i see it?" ---- See that is simple enough. If that fails run away.

3. If you are asked not to spoil something for somebody then don't be a dick, shut your fucking mouth and come up with something else to talk about. This goes back to the whole "do unto others" philosophy.

4. Educate yourself on resources that will help you read/view what you are trying to avoid being spoiled. There is DVR, On DEMAND, TiVo, and that handy thing called the internet. Sure your life is busy, but it is up to you to prioritize, if it wasn't important enough to get to at a certain point than you shouldn't get butt-hurt about hearing about it.

5. There shall henceforth be a statute of limitations of when you should just relax if spoiled:

Sporting Event= 24 hours. It is just too easy to watch it on the net or fast forward through your DVR.

Telivision Program= 1 week. The advent of OnDemand, Hulu, DvR, TiVo, and other outlets permits you to catch up just about anywhere, even on your phone. You should be trying to catch up before the next air date anyway.

Comic Book= 2 weeks. Sorry, but even on my budget I can pick up my books at least every payday. I don't see how you couldn't. If you read trades, well you pretty much have to avoid comic geeks until the trade comes out, but you can't get mad if someone talks about something that happened 2 months ago.

Movie= 1 month. This one is just something that is hard to dodge for blockbuster movies or critically acclaimed ones. If the movie is good and worth talking about, it will be water cooler talk by the end of the month, you will hear all the one-liners by then, and it will be all over the news as well. Unless you live in a cave you will know something you wouldn't have known about the film by the end of the month. Especially if it becomes something important to pop culture.

Book or Novel= ????. I don't even know what is acceptable about this. So we can add to this one later. I know it was an issue with Harry Potter books, but I've never had a book spoiled for me, and I read a lot of classics. But for a book published in the last 10 years, never had it spoiled for me. If anything it just got me interested in picking it up.

6. If you are playing season catch up on a show. Don't get pissy. It was already too late for you. You wouldn't be picking up the season in most cases if you hadn't heard something about it.

7. In basic conversation learn not to discuss twists or reveals with people until you've asked the question..."Have you seen/read such and such." That is just fucking common courtesy.

8. Be courteus to your fellow man and try to use spoiler tags when appropriate on the discussion boards. If you don't know how, look it up or ask somebody on the board to walk you through it. Ignorance isn't an excuse for ruining someone's day. Also it is possible to give a review of something or a summary without spoiling it.

9. If you overhear something, don't rage about it. Give people the benifit of the doubt that it was an accident.

10. If you find people in violation of these rules give them a big fat mushroom stamp on their forhead and refer them to this thread.

Smile

I hope this helps, I will edit these as needed, but I think it is a good guideline. DISCUSS.

2Spoiler Bible Empty Re: Spoiler Bible Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:52 pm

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

I don't dig the time limits for 5. A lot of the spoilerage can be avoided if the other commandments are followed.

3Spoiler Bible Empty Re: Spoiler Bible Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:54 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Well they can be adjusted. Those are not limits in which you are permitted to spoil. Spoiling is always a sin. These are limits I thought were fair, that you shouldn't get all NERD-rage about if someone slips around you.

4Spoiler Bible Empty Re: Spoiler Bible Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:59 pm

(._Y_.)

(._Y_.)
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I rememeber I got a talking to cause I slipped some Harry Potter spoilers back on the WUMB. Well you know motherfuckers? Harry Potter has been out for like a fuck load of a long time and it's not my fault you want to watch all the movies and not read the books. Kiss my
Spoiler:
fucking ass.

5Spoiler Bible Empty Re: Spoiler Bible Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:00 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

In general, fuck yo commandments. *breaks them on a golden calf*

That said, the thing that bothers me are the time limits, namely:

Sporting Event= 24 hours.
Telivision Program= 1 week.
Comic Book= 2 weeks

For all of these: It's your (speaking in general) fault not getting around to these. Out of kindness, 3 days for the last two, too bad about the first one. If you (again in general) miss a sporting event, one can find out about it by accident from nearly any source. You might as well confine yourself to a cave but most likely a sasquatch will come by with the scores so you're still screwed. TV shows, again 2-3 days and that's being generous. Comic events---don't go to places where such info can be dropped. Info on comic events is not nearly as ubiquitous as the others and there is no excuse running into it unless Yahoo spring sn article on you, in which case, you can write them an angry letter. And while I know this whole thing is a joke (at least I hope so), this is my 2 cents on this whole deal.

Last edited by Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty on Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

6Spoiler Bible Empty Re: Spoiler Bible Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:01 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Sadly/Fortunately I don't even know what that spoiler means, much less care abou it. lol

7Spoiler Bible Empty Re: Spoiler Bible Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:02 pm

kidspider2099

kidspider2099
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I like to spoil things for people i tell people the end of titanic and tell everybody that Bruce willis is dead to begin with.

8Spoiler Bible Empty Re: Spoiler Bible Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:02 pm

(._Y_.)

(._Y_.)
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

hrdwrkngXsoldier wrote:Sadly/Fortunately I don't even know what that spoiler means, much less care abou it. lol

Harry Potter is the greatest fucking series ever. Lord of The Rings can suck a fat pole.

9Spoiler Bible Empty Re: Spoiler Bible Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:03 pm

(._Y_.)

(._Y_.)
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

kidspider2099 wrote: tell everybody that Bruce willis is dead to begin with.

In Die Hard?

10Spoiler Bible Empty Re: Spoiler Bible Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:08 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

@Dr Wade.

Again these will be edited, just like man rules are. This is by far not to be set in stone, more of a working document.

What I'm wondering is if the time limits are too generous or too lenient. I have to disagree about avoiding comic knowledge for two weeks. If you hang out with people that have similar interests to you, than it is much more dangerous. I think Video Games the length of time would vary based upon how many hours it takes to beat the game. Example: I bought MUA2 on release day. I have still yet to beat it, I have either accidently read or heard about most of the game, but that hasn't taken away from the experience. Again as I said to Knize's comment. I was positioning these as time limits on when being butt-hurt is out of order.

@kidspider. Sadly if you spoil things just to be a dick...Well there are no excuses for the amount of penis that gets slapped up your forehead until you understand the courtesies of the Spoiler bible.

11Spoiler Bible Empty Re: Spoiler Bible Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:14 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

hrdwrkngXsoldier wrote:@Dr Wade.

Again these will be edited, just like man rules are. This is by far not to be set in stone, more of a working document.

What I'm wondering is if the time limits are too generous or too lenient. I have to disagree about avoiding comic knowledge for two weeks. If you hang out with people that have similar interests to you, than it is much more dangerous. I think Video Games the length of time would vary based upon how many hours it takes to beat the game. Example: I bought MUA2 on release day. I have still yet to beat it, I have either accidently read or heard about most of the game, but that hasn't taken away from the experience. Again as I said to Knize's comment. I was positioning these as time limits on when being butt-hurt is out of order.

With comics, if you hang out with people with similar interests, then an understanding needs to come to pass there. As far as websites and message boards, there should be next to no time limit. 3 days is generous and understandable though. As for video games, there shouldn't be a time limit. Knowing the end will not change the gaming experience. Knowing the ending to Street Fighter will not determine how my fight with M.Bison will go nor will it determine what I think of the mechanics of the game. That said, I think all the time limits are too much (should be shorter). I think the movie time limit is decent though.

12Spoiler Bible Empty Re: Spoiler Bible Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:25 pm

kidspider2099

kidspider2099
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

(._Y_.) wrote:

In Die Hard?

yes

No in the six sense

hasn't everybody seen sixth sense? it not really giving anything away.

13Spoiler Bible Empty Re: Spoiler Bible Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:26 pm

(._Y_.)

(._Y_.)
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

kidspider2099 wrote:
(._Y_.) wrote:

In Die Hard?

yes

No in the six sense

hasn't everybody seen sixth sense? it not really giving anything away.

Also in Die Hard.

14Spoiler Bible Empty Re: Spoiler Bible Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:47 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Okay, the time limits were the touchiest of the comandments. So you have all probably seen the polls I created to gauge the community sentiment about the subject.

And bewbs you know that Harry Potter fanatisism was replaced by Twilight right? I still love the letter that latinoreview posted from a new moon fan criticizing Wolfman for ripping of the Twilight frnchise... thanks for tweeting that Tomer.

To cover my ass with the HP fans. I like the movies...the spoiler just didn't make sense. I thought viral video traps on You Tube ruined that series for everybody anyways.

15Spoiler Bible Empty Re: Spoiler Bible Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:18 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

hrdwrkngXsoldier wrote:This is in response to this weeks BLAAARGH!"Spoiler Warnings" by Lee
http://panelsonpages.com/?p=19392

I sited some of these on the main board, but for some reason a lot of you people don't remember the main site exists, so this may get your attention.

This will be the 10 comandments of Spoilers....work in progress. I'll start us out.

1. If there is an event, television show, publication, and/or movie that you have a desire to see and don't want to have it spoiled the primary responsibility falls on you. To avoid spoilers you should stay away from pop-culture sites, blogs, message boards, and sometimes even the news. You pretty much have to create a deadspace for your existance about the topic.

2. If something you are trying to avoid having spoiled for you is brought up in conversation, politely ask them not to talk about it. EXAMPLE: "Oh, I haven't seen that yet. I heard it was awesome, but can we please not talk about it until i see it?" ---- See that is simple enough. If that fails run away.

3. If you are asked not to spoil something for somebody then don't be a dick, shut your fucking mouth and come up with something else to talk about. This goes back to the whole "do unto others" philosophy.

4. Educate yourself on resources that will help you read/view what you are trying to avoid being spoiled. There is DVR, On DEMAND, TiVo, and that handy thing called the internet. Sure your life is busy, but it is up to you to prioritize, if it wasn't important enough to get to at a certain point than you shouldn't get butt-hurt about hearing about it.

5. There shall henceforth be a statute of limitations of when you should just relax if spoiled:

Sporting Event= 24 hours. It is just too easy to watch it on the net or fast forward through your DVR.

Telivision Program= 1 week. The advent of OnDemand, Hulu, DvR, TiVo, and other outlets permits you to catch up just about anywhere, even on your phone. You should be trying to catch up before the next air date anyway.

Comic Book= 2 weeks. Sorry, but even on my budget I can pick up my books at least every payday. I don't see how you couldn't. If you read trades, well you pretty much have to avoid comic geeks until the trade comes out, but you can't get mad if someone talks about something that happened 2 months ago.

Movie= 1 month. This one is just something that is hard to dodge for blockbuster movies or critically acclaimed ones. If the movie is good and worth talking about, it will be water cooler talk by the end of the month, you will hear all the one-liners by then, and it will be all over the news as well. Unless you live in a cave you will know something you wouldn't have known about the film by the end of the month. Especially if it becomes something important to pop culture.

Book or Novel= ????. I don't even know what is acceptable about this. So we can add to this one later. I know it was an issue with Harry Potter books, but I've never had a book spoiled for me, and I read a lot of classics. But for a book published in the last 10 years, never had it spoiled for me. If anything it just got me interested in picking it up.

6. If you are playing season catch up on a show. Don't get pissy. It was already too late for you. You wouldn't be picking up the season in most cases if you hadn't heard something about it.

7. In basic conversation learn not to discuss twists or reveals with people until you've asked the question..."Have you seen/read such and such." That is just fucking common courtesy.

8. Be courteus to your fellow man and try to use spoiler tags when appropriate on the discussion boards. If you don't know how, look it up or ask somebody on the board to walk you through it. Ignorance isn't an excuse for ruining someone's day. Also it is possible to give a review of something or a summary without spoiling it.

9. If you overhear something, don't rage about it. Give people the benifit of the doubt that it was an accident.

10. If you find people in violation of these rules give them a big fat mushroom stamp on their forhead and refer them to this thread.

Smile

I hope this helps, I will edit these as needed, but I think it is a good guideline. DISCUSS.

Alright now wait just one fucking minute..

..there's a main site? huh

Laughing

16Spoiler Bible Empty Re: Spoiler Bible Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:52 am

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Glad to help point that out, for ya LD

17Spoiler Bible Empty Re: Spoiler Bible Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:11 am

(._Y_.)

(._Y_.)
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

hrdwrkngXsoldier wrote:Okay, the time limits were the touchiest of the comandments. So you have all probably seen the polls I created to gauge the community sentiment about the subject.

And bewbs you know that Harry Potter fanatisism was replaced by Twilight right? I still love the letter that latinoreview posted from a new moon fan criticizing Wolfman for ripping of the Twilight frnchise... thanks for tweeting that Tomer.

To cover my ass with the HP fans. I like the movies...the spoiler just didn't make sense. I thought viral video traps on You Tube ruined that series for everybody anyways.

I'm just buggin ya. Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum