Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast!

+52
superdoug
Spazzy
SammIAm
Dr Awkward
Big Poppa Nick
AKA Brandon
Gojiratoho
Foxy
kidspider2099
pink*lantern
Xman00aoa
UltimateUltimacy
Steel Rose
jfx316
Batman25JM
The Ignored One
TheeDoctorWhoHasDreads?
dpool666
Sapphire Gypsy
Ska
goatt
wickidchyld
melvinlikechris
WonderWoman2.0
Astro13Zombie
Airwolf
Demonweasel
comicgeekelly
darth__frodo
potatojoe
The Chris Ward Experience
Denim
Rath99
The Delta
Debaser77
dmahoney
Captain Painway
BlueMaxx
elijahdprophet
shark6495
Heytherejeffro
shining knight
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
MillionDollarGeek
Mnemosis
krpykrwly
Chi-Town Spidey
Silent K
Lee
Joshua
jaydee74
rwe1138
56 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 39, 40, 41, 42  Next

Go down  Message [Page 40 of 42]

976The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! - Page 40 Empty Re: The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:30 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Demonweasel wrote:Oh god, what a train wreck that was. I remember the chat hating that guy. While i like the ides of getting more people into comics (obviously) telling current readers they're wrong for liking what they do is dumb.

yes

comicgeekelly wrote:I really need to go back and listen to that.

It was very uncomfortable. Especially since every time one of the other guys on the show would start to agree with him on a point he'd twist it and somewhat disagree with their agreement.

Lee wrote:It's the most awkward episode ever. It was painful.

It really was.

Rath99 wrote:I remember being on that show...nice and quiet lost in the background lol.

I will say this about Miguel. While he might be overzealous his heart is in the right place. If you see the documentary he actually gives a kid a Fantastic Four book.

Batman25JM - Giving comics as a gift doesn't force anyone to read it. You can throw it off to the side like you would have done had someone giving you a bat or a glove. What different is that it take you 5-10 minutes to read a comic book. The time invested in it isn't much. I've given out comics as gifts and a few new fans grew from that. That being said lend people your comics is just as effective.

Oh, I totally get that just because you give a comic as a gift it doesn't mean that the person has to read it. I just see it as a dick move if the person has no interest in comics. I have always been of the thought that you should give a gift that somebody will enjoy. I give my brother clothes even though they bore the hell out of me, because that's what he loves. Trying to force someone to read comics isn't going to work, and if they don't want to read it you kind of come off as the jerk who gave them a present you wanted them to want, but they couldn't care less about.

My best friend doesn't read comics (in fact, none of my "real life" friends do, and that's why PoP! is such a blessing). I have thought many times of giving my friend comics for gifts, but he's show zero interest in comics, and I've tried to get him excited about them. I once gave him and another friend of ours an hour and a half lecture about the history of Robin (kind of against their will as it was during a road trip and I was driving Very Happy). Anyway, he always gives me gifts that he knows I'll love so I like to return the courtesy.

977The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! - Page 40 Empty Re: The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:29 pm

Foxy

Foxy
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

I remember being just completely put off by that guy on the live show. I listened to it once again on the download but now if that episode comes up on my itunes I always skip over the interview.

FUCKING COMICS!!

http://www.foxyart.net

978The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! - Page 40 Empty Re: The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:46 pm

Rath99

Rath99
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Foxy wrote:I remember being just completely put off by that guy on the live show. I listened to it once again on the download but now if that episode comes up on my itunes I always skip over the interview.

FUCKING COMICS!!

Hey if nothing else we got...FUCKING COMICS!! out of it Smile

979The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! - Page 40 Empty Re: The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:15 pm

Denim

Denim
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I remember that episode fondly. Thge whole time I was thinking, "I wonder if this guy is seeing the chat?" We were ruthless that night.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/theusernameiwantedformyprofile

980The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! - Page 40 Empty Re: The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:28 pm

Captain Painway

Captain Painway
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I remember that. It was when I first started listening to shows live and getting into comics. I was thinking, "Is that what these people are like??? Shocked " Thankfully, comic book readers (PoP! people, at least) aren't like that.

http://likeitderby.com

981The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! - Page 40 Empty Re: The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:35 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

It was a hard episode to get through. I probably wouldn't have listened to the whole thing, but I have a mission to listen to every episode from beginning to end. At least it had the bright spot of Kerouac talking about someone at work complaining about his comments on Facebook and his cousin de-friending him.

982The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! - Page 40 Empty Re: The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:39 pm

dmahoney

dmahoney
Zombie
Zombie

^ Ha! I remember that. I threatened to defriend him for using the term "hot rimmer" later that day.

Miguel was like the 2nd or 3rd PoPcast I'd listened to.

983The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! - Page 40 Empty Re: The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:50 pm

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

I'm pretty sure I just sat there biding my time until he was done so I could rip on him.

984The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! - Page 40 Empty Re: The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:53 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^That's what it seemed like. It was glorious. Very Happy

985The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! - Page 40 Empty Re: The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:56 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

Ah, memories.

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

986The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! - Page 40 Empty Re: The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:15 pm

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

Who unnecessarily yells more: Miguel Cima, or Kerouac?

987The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! - Page 40 Empty Re: The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:26 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

That's a question for the ages.

988The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! - Page 40 Empty Re: The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:48 pm

dmahoney

dmahoney
Zombie
Zombie

This week?

Ska.

All time?

Kerouac.

989The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! - Page 40 Empty Re: The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:16 am

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

WonderWoman2.0 wrote:KWACK's a bit more high pitched than the actual thing. I'm pretty sure you can spot the difference. Wink

In reference to your edit, K-Whack DOES have a hyphen, AND an "H", unlike "hyphen", which has two. yes tongue

Batman25JM wrote:Miguel Cima is a loud-mouthed ass.

I agree, totally John Michael.

I THINK I mentioned this on the episode, but if not, I'm throwing it out there now: I DID try giving a comic as a gift, successfully. I think the key is the conversation you mentioned, though. You need to talk to your audience and stimulate a bit of curiosity. THEN, figure out a comic that will appeal to their sensibilities. I gave Loyd - he of bank story fame - Superman: Red Son, as he lived through the rise and fall of the Soviet Union and I knew the political commentary would strike a chord with him. I also knew he was familiar with Superman, and thought of comics as "kid stuff." By handing him a book that deals with Superman as a tool of the Soviet super state because his convictions are so shaped by his upbringing, I gave Loyd the impetus to COMPLETELY change his perception of comics. It succeeded. It's still not his preferred medium, but he had an open mind and an interest that was piqued by our prior discussion and the relevance of the material at hand. If I'd given him the first arc of X-Force volume 3, he likely wouldn't have gotten past the first three pages. Although, if I gave him that book now, after setting up some of the necessary back story, I bet he'd give it a shot. He'd still hate it, but he'd let his curiosity get the better of him.

With your friends who don't like comics - think about what they DO like. See if you can find a comic that appeals to that, and then maybe consider that as a gift.

dmahoney wrote:^ Ha! I remember that. I threatened to defriend him for using the term "hot rimmer" later that day.

That was fantastic.

990The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! - Page 40 Empty Re: The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:00 am

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Mnemosis wrote:

I THINK I mentioned this on the episode, but if not, I'm throwing it out there now: I DID try giving a comic as a gift, successfully. I think the key is the conversation you mentioned, though. You need to talk to your audience and stimulate a bit of curiosity. THEN, figure out a comic that will appeal to their sensibilities. I gave Loyd - he of bank story fame - Superman: Red Son, as he lived through the rise and fall of the Soviet Union and I knew the political commentary would strike a chord with him. I also knew he was familiar with Superman, and thought of comics as "kid stuff." By handing him a book that deals with Superman as a tool of the Soviet super state because his convictions are so shaped by his upbringing, I gave Loyd the impetus to COMPLETELY change his perception of comics. It succeeded. It's still not his preferred medium, but he had an open mind and an interest that was piqued by our prior discussion and the relevance of the material at hand. If I'd given him the first arc of X-Force volume 3, he likely wouldn't have gotten past the first three pages. Although, if I gave him that book now, after setting up some of the necessary back story, I bet he'd give it a shot. He'd still hate it, but he'd let his curiosity get the better of him.

With your friends who don't like comics - think about what they DO like. See if you can find a comic that appeals to that, and then maybe consider that as a gift.

Laughing

Yeah, I really should try to find a specific comic that would appeal to my friends. The trick would be getting them to read it. Even if the story would appeal to them (which many of the comics I tell them about do) they just never seem to want to read comics, no matter how cool they think the story sounds. It's funny, my best friend loves super hero movies, and even some of the cartoons, but he just won't read comics.

I have a lot of friends who love manga, but they too can't be persuaded to try comics. I'll just have to be vigilant and search out the perfect comic for each of them.

991The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! - Page 40 Empty Re: The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:57 am

WonderWoman2.0

WonderWoman2.0
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Mnemosis wrote:
WonderWoman2.0 wrote:KWACK's a bit more high pitched than the actual thing. I'm pretty sure you can spot the difference. Wink

In reference to your edit, K-Whack DOES have a hyphen, AND an "H", unlike "hyphen", which has two. yes tongue

dmahoney wrote:^ Ha! I remember that. I threatened to defriend him for using the term "hot rimmer" later that day.

That was fantastic.

TL;DR

http://effyeahmegwhite.tumblr.com/

992The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! - Page 40 Empty Re: The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:12 am

Astro13Zombie

Astro13Zombie
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I just listened to 34 for the first time.
Was curious to know what everybody was talking about. Laughing

I hate that guy.
Very loud.
Very annoying.

His breathing into the microphone was driving me insane.
The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! - Page 40 5u1pjk

993The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! - Page 40 Empty Re: The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:19 am

dmahoney

dmahoney
Zombie
Zombie

No links tonight, but pictures from the 11th Hour feed:

Sorry Mary...
The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! - Page 40 Untitl12

Jose will get INSIDE your face.
The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! - Page 40 Untitl13

994The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! - Page 40 Empty Re: The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:12 am

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I can't believe I fell asleep and missed it...

College is a pain in the ass sometimes

995The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! - Page 40 Empty Re: The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:12 pm

Denim

Denim
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I am pretty sure last nights show was awesome. I dont think I laughed so hard listening. Can't wait to see peoples reactions to it when they listen to the download. Also I apologize if I may have insulted anyone in the chat last night, I wasn't exactly sober.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/theusernameiwantedformyprofile

996The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! - Page 40 Empty Re: The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:22 pm

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Shocked I am suddenly glad I wasn't listening last night...my laughter would have woken everyone up

997The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! - Page 40 Empty Re: The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:33 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I miss having a job where I could listen at work Crying or Very sad

998The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! - Page 40 Empty Re: The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:38 pm

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

You have to admit...save for zigging when we should've zagged a few times, and even though we came in dead last, Mary and I were pretty on point as far as answers go.

999The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! - Page 40 Empty Re: The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:11 pm

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Can't argue with that Knize...

1000The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! - Page 40 Empty Re: The Panels On Pages PoP-Cast! Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:19 pm

Captain Painway

Captain Painway
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

We came in dead last? How da fuck did that happen? hmm

http://likeitderby.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 40 of 42]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 39, 40, 41, 42  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum