Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fantastic Four

+14
Heytherejeffro
Joshua
Thundermatts
Debaser77
TENIME_art
boberthavok
Silent K
BlueMaxx
Off_White_Lantern
colossus1979
Batman25JM
Foreigner_Man
Bigtymin504
Paroxysm
18 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Fantastic Four Empty Fantastic Four Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:23 pm

Paroxysm

Paroxysm
Zombie
Zombie

Fantastic Four 500x_custom_1276189682135_fantastic_four_001
http://io9.com/5559831/fantastic-four-gets-a-major-reboot-+-but-can-it-work
Lost in all the hoopla about the X-Men and Spider-Man reboots? Let's talk about the other franchise that Marvel is resurrecting. Yes, Fantastic Four begins again, with a new director, writer, and now a title.

Reports indicate that the reboot will be called Fantastic Four Reborn. This is partially based on Fox reserving the URL for www.fantasticfourreborn.com, which isn't exactly confirmation (studios tend to reserve the web addresses for a lot of potential titles), but it does give some indication of the direction the new film will likely take.

Much like the title Batman Begins tacitly made it clear that Christopher Nolan was going back to the start of the Batman mythos and completely erasing the four previous movies, Fantastic Four Reborn suggests an acknowledgment the franchise need a complete do-over after two movies that really didn't work. "Reborn" also evokes Marvel Comics events like Ed Brubaker's recent, well-received "Captain America Reborn" (and some other, earlier miniseries that weren't nearly so well received.)

The new Fantastic Four movie has quietly been picking up steam since it was announced last year. Akiva Goldsman was announced as the producer, whose genre credits include writing for Fringe, I, Robot, and, um, the Joel Schumacher Batman movies. (Let's just hope he's learned his lesson.) He's also producing the upcoming Jonah Hex movies.

When asked about the project late last year, original Johnny Storm portrayer Chris Evans said he doubted he would be involved, what with it being a reboot and all (which is now pretty much a certainty, considering he's the new Captain America). He did, however, applaud the efforts to make the new film a little darker and grittier than the rather cartoony first two Fantastic Four movies:

"I think there's room to readjust the tone in "Fantastic Four" as it was for "Batman". You know, "Batman" took on a very cartoony feel towards the end and even in the beginning. It was a lighter movie, even though it was Tim Burton. It was still a lighter film and the newer Batman's have just been amazing, so I'm all for good filmmaking. If they can go make a good dark edgy "Fantastic Four" right on."

Since then, Michael Green has come on board to write the script. His previous work is mainly as a producer and writer on Smallville and Heroes, which I guess doesn't necessarily mean he can't still write a good screenplay. He also co-wrote the Green Lantern script and is now beginning work on the sequel.

Although the creative team doesn't have the most inspiring set of credits (it seems a bit perverse to ask the guy who wrote Batman & Robin to produce your gritty reboot, but that's just me), at least this prospective title does signal a recognition that a bold new direction needs to be taken to make Fantastic Four work on the screen.

https://www.facebook.com/people/Matt-Marshall/679612060#!/profile

2Fantastic Four Empty Re: Fantastic Four Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:27 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

*sigh* FOX are such dicks lol. I feel like they're just doing this so the rights don't revert back to Marvel. I don't see them giving us anything better than a mediocre film like the first two times. Just imagine all the great things Marvel Studios or even Disney/Pixar could do with the Fantastic Four. Mad

3Fantastic Four Empty Re: Fantastic Four Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:29 pm

Foreigner_Man

Foreigner_Man
Ninja
Ninja

I'll wait for casting info and a trailer before I decide whether to see this or not.

4Fantastic Four Empty Re: Fantastic Four Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:49 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

This is getting a bit ridiculous. I know the first two FF movies weren't great, but I enjoyed them. They seem to be getting a little reboot happy lately. It's only been 3 years since the last movie. UGH!!

5Fantastic Four Empty Re: Fantastic Four Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:28 am

colossus1979

colossus1979
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

the first movie was a great starting point imo. and while the second one didn't blow me away, it sure as hell didn't suck. i don't think a reboot is nessasary, but seeing as how 2 of the 5 original cast is predisposed (chiklis with his abc show and evans is going to BE marvel movies for the next few years with cap and avengers and so on) i doubt the others are running to line up for a third movie. could they easily replace them, likely, but it might be easier to start from square one.

Bigtymin504 wrote:*sigh* FOX are such dicks lol. I feel like they're just doing this so the rights don't revert back to Marvel.

also this is a good theory. Smile

6Fantastic Four Empty Re: Fantastic Four Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:27 pm

Off_White_Lantern

Off_White_Lantern
Pirate
Pirate

Batman25JM wrote:This is getting a bit ridiculous. I know the first two FF movies weren't great, but I enjoyed them. They seem to be getting a little reboot happy lately. It's only been 3 years since the last movie. UGH!!

I hated the first two FF movies but agree with u that its not been long enough to do a reboot. Although Jessica Alba was the most miscast actress I have ever seen. Shes supposed to be Johnnys sister but shes obviously not even the same race. The blonde hair and blue contacts made her look kinda freaky.

The one that got me was Johnny being Cap America. Thats just annoying mixing up the movies like that.

7Fantastic Four Empty Re: Fantastic Four Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:26 am

colossus1979

colossus1979
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

they aren't mixing them up, just using the same actor for a different role....since they are gonna reboot anyway, it won't confuse the "fast food" brains of the people out there.

8Fantastic Four Empty Re: Fantastic Four Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:52 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:*sigh* FOX are such dicks.
This. Especially without the laughing. Those bastards need to let things go. I didn't hate their FF movies, but let Marvel have their license. Yeesh. It's what they did with Spider-Man and the X-titles. shake my head

9Fantastic Four Empty Re: Fantastic Four Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:21 am

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

Spider-Man is Sony.

10Fantastic Four Empty Re: Fantastic Four Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:47 am

boberthavok

boberthavok
Pirate
Pirate

I had no problems with the Fantastic Four movies. I think out of all the movies they are probably the best to watch with family. But I really don't think the X-Men movies are all that bad. The first 2 where great. The 3rd and Wolverine where alright. But they where far from the worst comic book movies.

But yeah I would think they would have to reboot the series no matter what now that Chris Eveans is Captian America. I could see fans getting confused if he was in both movies since they are both Marvel. But I think Chris Pine could make a decent Human Torch for the reboot.

11Fantastic Four Empty Re: Fantastic Four Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:37 am

Off_White_Lantern

Off_White_Lantern
Pirate
Pirate

colossus1979 wrote:they aren't mixing them up, just using the same actor for a different role....since they are gonna reboot anyway, it won't confuse the "fast food" brains of the people out there.

I watch the movies and even if I dont like them the actors are the characters in that universe. Good or bad its stupid to put the same actor into another role in the Marvel movies. He wasnt very good in Fantastic Four anyway (which is my favorite Marvel title and biggest comic movie letdown)so why give him another character?

Just feels like the suits arent in touch with the fanbase to not understand this simple fact. Maybe they will make Tobey M Johnny in the reboot Rolling Eyes

12Fantastic Four Empty Re: Fantastic Four Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:56 am

colossus1979

colossus1979
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

i doubt mcguire will do any other comic related stuff fo a while....spider man was starting to leave a bad taste in his mouth. anyhow, i didn't think evans was horrible as human torch, but i do agree that maybe he could have had...i don't know "umph" or something. the only one who came off as believeable was chiklis and he was the least utilized because of that damned make-up. also i think captian america is coming out through marvel studios, so they must have seen something in him they liked, fox still has controll of FF, hopefully they'll not mess it up...AGAIN! i was not sadly disapointed, but again i don't mind if they actually put EFFORT into a reboot, that they're doing one.

13Fantastic Four Empty Re: Fantastic Four Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:35 am

TENIME_art

TENIME_art
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I haven't read FF for a straight 40 years, but what I have read always seemed to fit the "cartoony" better than the "gritty". huh

14Fantastic Four Empty Re: Fantastic Four Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:29 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven

Bigtymin504 wrote:Just imagine all the great things Marvel Studios or even Disney/Pixar could do with the Fantastic Four. Mad

No need to imagine what Pixar could do with the FF.

Fantastic Four Increds

15Fantastic Four Empty Re: Fantastic Four Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:01 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Debaser77 wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:Just imagine all the great things Marvel Studios or even Disney/Pixar could do with the Fantastic Four. Mad

No need to imagine what Pixar could do with the FF.

Fantastic Four Increds

Exactly! A crossover of sorts would be badass.

16Fantastic Four Empty Re: Fantastic Four Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:32 pm

Thundermatts

Thundermatts
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Off_White_Lantern wrote:
colossus1979 wrote:they aren't mixing them up, just using the same actor for a different role....since they are gonna reboot anyway, it won't confuse the "fast food" brains of the people out there.

I watch the movies and even if I dont like them the actors are the characters in that universe. Good or bad its stupid to put the same actor into another role in the Marvel movies. He wasnt very good in Fantastic Four anyway (which is my favorite Marvel title and biggest comic movie letdown)so why give him another character?

Just feels like the suits arent in touch with the fanbase to not understand this simple fact. Maybe they will make Tobey M Johnny in the reboot Rolling Eyes

Your personal preferences don't speak for the rest of the fanbase. I loved his portrayl of Johnny (one of the few good things about the first film. I actually liked the second one better) And I'm excited that he'll get to play a character that isn't lame.

THat's right, The Fantastic Four are lameoids. It's a known fact amongst the fanbase.

17Fantastic Four Empty Re: Fantastic Four Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:38 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Yeah, I'd consider myself part of the Marvel fan base, and I think Chris Evans was great as Johnny Storm (despite the movie being a mediocre mess) and will be great as Captain America.

18Fantastic Four Empty Re: Fantastic Four Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:40 pm

Heytherejeffro

Heytherejeffro
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I expect big things from Ioan Gruffudd
Spoiler:

https://www.facebook.com/heytherejeffro

19Fantastic Four Empty Re: Fantastic Four Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:43 pm

Gojiratoho

Gojiratoho
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I agree, while the FF films weren't anywhere near great, Evan and Chiklis were awesome as Johnny and Ben.

20Fantastic Four Empty Re: Fantastic Four Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:08 pm

Rath99

Rath99
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Joshua wrote:Yeah, I'd consider myself part of the Marvel fan base, and I think Chris Evans was great as Johnny Storm (despite the movie being a mediocre mess) and will be great as Captain America.

Agreed! If you are going to have Galactus in a movie have him in the movie! The movies sucked ass but agree that Chris was good as Johnny. Looking forward to what he can do with Cap.

21Fantastic Four Empty Re: Fantastic Four Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:59 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^See, while I think they could have done more with Galactus, I don't think having him in the movie as he appears in the comics would have been a good idea. He'd have looked ridiculous.

22Fantastic Four Empty Re: Fantastic Four Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:05 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:^See, while I think they could have done more with Galactus, I don't think having him in the movie as he appears in the comics would have been a good idea. He'd have looked ridiculous.

They could have went the Ultimate route where he was a hive collective. I'm actually surprised they didn't, seeing as how much influence the Ultimate U has on their movies

23Fantastic Four Empty Re: Fantastic Four Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:18 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:^See, while I think they could have done more with Galactus, I don't think having him in the movie as he appears in the comics would have been a good idea. He'd have looked ridiculous.

The thing is, if you fully embrace these wild concepts, I mean really commit to them, then more often than not they work out IMO. I think a more imaginative studio and director could have pulled off Galactus as the world-devouring humanoid, and actually made it badass even for the general audience.

Look at the Green Lantern movie. It appears that they will be embracing the cosmic aspect of it and going all out with Oa, Guardians, Power Batteries, crazy looking aliens, etc. And I think it will all pay off in the end.

24Fantastic Four Empty Re: Fantastic Four Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:20 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

If a person can accept the Fantastic Four as plausible, I don't see why Galactus would be such a reach. Not everything needs to have a "real-world" approach.

25Fantastic Four Empty Re: Fantastic Four Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:31 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'm not saying that it has be realistic. I just think a giant guy in a blue and purple costume with that weird helmet of his would have looked kinda silly. I don't think the general audience would have embraced him that much. I'd have been fine with him being a giant world eater if they had modified his look a little.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum