Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Characters and their Powers - Am I thinking too much into this?

+8
Sandman
Jherek
Spider_Fan14
DickGrayson007
Bigtymin504
Administrator
BlueMaxx
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

shark6495 wrote:
Jherek wrote:
BlueMaxx wrote:
shark6495 wrote:So if you are suspending disbelief to belive someone can see through things, it wouldnt be hard to think that the person (superman for example) can use a mixture of the heat, magnetic, and nuclear properties of the body/wall/object being seen or blocked out.
Hrm. That's solar energy alright. And lead blocks heat, magnetism and radiation. So that's why he'd be unable to see through it. Nice.

Yeah that all works. So, having established that, what cool things could Supes be doing with that ability that we haven't seen already?

Walk around telling people they have cancer, blocked arteries, and telling people if they will have boys or girls?

So the more I think about it, if a person has X-ray vision, see above for how they see things, wouldnt they also be able to see into the future and the past? For example if you think about how time is all relative, and its just a connection of particles over time, it wouldnt be hard to tell where they had bin or how old the particles were. Even going into another direction, it would make detective work much much differently......

http://whiskeytangofoxtrott.blogspot.com/

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ That's a bit reaching. At least for "our" Superman. Maybe Christopher Kent (Lor-Zod). He was crazy powerful in Countdown: Arena.

shark6495 wrote:
Jherek wrote:
Yeah that all works. So, having established that, what cool things could Supes be doing with that ability that we haven't seen already?

Walk around telling people they have cancer, blocked arteries, and telling people if they will have boys or girls?
I like that. I'd love an issue with the down-to-Earth, good samaritan Superman as Clark Kent, leaving notes underneath someone's door or (e)mailing them a letter telling them stuff they need to know, like physical problems.

Little things can go a long way.

I'd love, with the current and sad predicaments of Haiti, for a story to show Superman checking the tectonic plates. Soaring at the top of our atmosphere and using, simultaneously, his telescopic, microscopic and x-ray vision to see if the shifts are going natural--supervising the Earth, literally.

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

BlueMaxx wrote:^ That's a bit reaching. At least for "our" Superman. Maybe Christopher Kent (Lor-Zod). He was crazy powerful in Countdown: Arena.

shark6495 wrote:
Jherek wrote:

I like that. I'd love an issue with the down-to-Earth, good samaritan Superman as Clark Kent, leaving notes underneath someone's door or (e)mailing them a letter telling them stuff they need to know, like physical problems.

Little things can go a long way.

I'd love, with the current and sad predicaments of Haiti, for a story to show Superman checking the tectonic plates. Soaring at the top of our atmosphere and using, simultaneously, his telescopic, microscopic and x-ray vision to see if the shifts are going natural--supervising the Earth, literally.

So supes in a god like protector realm? Btw this thread has made me want to go back and start reading superman books.... I have not read a supes book since he died....

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ Niether have I! The closest I've come are team/event/Elseworld books.

Narratio

Narratio
Cadet
Cadet

In the last run of Legion stories (the "Suck it Grand Pa" run) we saw Brainiac 5 bemoaning Starboys stupidity as he was potentially one of the most powerful beings in the 31st Century. After all, he directly controlled the effects of gravity on anything and everything. But all he did was make people or things heavier.

Lots of potential there.

Spider_Fan14

Spider_Fan14
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Narratio wrote:In the last run of Legion stories (the "Suck it Grand Pa" run) we saw Brainiac 5 bemoaning Starboys stupidity as he was potentially one of the most powerful beings in the 31st Century. After all, he directly controlled the effects of gravity on anything and everything. But all he did was make people or things heavier.

Lots of potential there.
i miss that version of the Legion, they get the shortstick the minute Geoff Johns only wanted his oldies Legion in the DCU and that is kinda my first major aggrivation from Johns. I liked the Waid version cause it seemed like a hipper version of the Legion like Ultimate Spiderman compared to oldies Spiderman.

Spider_Fan14

Spider_Fan14
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

bump

Anyway I was thinking about the Superboy & The Legion of Superheroes and this came to mind;
If Superboy timetraveled to the future wouldn't there be a time paradox of the time he'd be gone until he returned to set it straight? And wouldn't everyone in the 31th century be aware that the Legion brought either the real Superboy or a replica Superboy for their team?

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Static could do some magnetism in the cartoon. I wondered how come Electro never really tried that as well.

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Sandman wrote:http://uk.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi825623065/

This is the episode of X-men Evlolution where they discuss Nightcrawlers powers and how he goes thru other dimentions, it seems as plausable as anything else.

I also want to comment on the super strength/ invunerable thing. Tomer said "Or invincible characters (Luke Cage) that somehow by default have super-strength." I do not think it works this way. I do not think because they are invincible/invunerable they have super strength by default. I think because they have super strength they are invunerable by default. small change in wording but a big differance. if you think about it a normal person can break a hand or at the minimum get bloody knuckles by punching something hard. now imagine someone who can lift tons hitting something. they would shatter every bone in their arm! I think the invunerability comes as a way to protect their body from their own strength.

I would think the opposite. I understand that the body would want to protect itself, so I see where you are coming from, but lets put science of the human body to work. How is muscle (and strength) "grown" and made stronger? Well in a normal human body the muscle is "ripped" apart. The muscle then grows back together stronger and tougher than the original. This is the reason why many people do, or at least should, rest every other day if they work out all the time, need the muscles to grow back. Plus protein is needed to build the muscle fibers back together. So if a person is invulnerable, or at least healing very quickly (more on that later) they would be strong. They try to lift something very heavy (a car for example), their muscles would rip (if it was the first time). The body however heals very very quickly. The muscles are put back together with in moments making them bigger and stronger. Hence the strength. So it would seem that if a person who is invulnerable applied themselves to do super strength stuff they could. It would seem then that someone who is invulnerable tried to run and build leg strength they could get super jumps (not flying but leap tall buildings in a single bound....) and faster speed (not speeding train but faster than normal human man)

Now about invulnerability. If a person has a sped up metabolism and many more platelets the human body could repair itself quickly. In surgery they try to inject platelets into the site to help repair it quicker (see Tiger woods knee surgery). So technically if a person had a quick metabolism (needed to get the hormones and blood pumping quickly) had super platelets they could heal themselves quicker than most other people. Now this person wouldnt be invulnerable to anything but to most things (think Logan before he became invincible.) Now how does superman do it? it could be his epidermis (outer skin layer) was and is stronger than normal human beings (tighter weaved?) coupled with the faster metabolism and the platelets to heal (hey just because you have a tough skin does not mean being hit by a boulder wouldnt hurt so much) you could have invulnerability. There are some diseases that make the skin super tough (along with other tendons) so if that were the case it would just need a super charged version of the disease......

did i think too much:?

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ I see where you're coming from. The muscle thing is a good point, but the invulnerability = strength makes a lot of sense. So I agree with Sandman on that point.

You wouldn't be able to move if your body didn't expend upon mobile capabilities during your growth as an invulnerable baby, or however it happens.

It reminds me of Mr. Freeze's suit giving him super strength. I think on par with 3 men (could be more now). Anyways, he built the suit not to just sustain his cold environment inside the suit due to his biology, but he built it for mobility because of his cryo-physiology makes him very stiff and needs help with his means to move.

prescribeddrone wrote:Static could do some magnetism in the cartoon. I wondered how come Electro never really tried that as well.
He did, actually. Magneto taught him some tricks, to which he could get Electro to break open The Raft. Now Electro is more adept with his power, and upgraded to finally take on Spider-man with focus and better control.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum