Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1

+10
LordD3r3k
Spazzy
riv1
jaydee74
Parallax_48
Sandman
Ska
Captain Painway
JonSpangler
Thundermatts
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Thundermatts

Thundermatts
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I saw it last night. Here's a quick review. No spoilers.

The last Harry Potter film (well, you know, the first part of the last...) starts with a series of quiet scenes, the first few of which are coated with lonliness, and grim determination. The haunting start culminates with a chill inducing scene heavily featuring Voldemort, where he finally gets to stretch those legs, and in my mind cement himself as one of the great villians in film. He's aleady done it in the world of liteature, but before this scene has had little to do in the movies out side of yelling angirly about Harry. (Don't wory, he does this too). Here finally, is Voldemort showcasing some of his charm, which kept teachers in his younger days, and followers now, enthralled. A little charm, but more threat. The room is kept in scared silence as he speaks, and moe when he's not. Watch him walk up and down the lengths of his Death Eaters, their eyes determined not to meet his as they fidget in their seats. This scene was one of my favoite of the whole film.

Cut to a thrilling chase scene, with some of the coolest single images seen yet in a Pottr film. The first losses hit hard (a peson, and an ear of course.) and much of the movie bathes in stony silence, where what is happening constanly appeas to be sinking in to whatever character we're curently seeing. It's a war, and its a big one, and it affords a look at the love shared between Harry, Hermione and Ron. It's more than just a brotherly and sisterly love (in the case of Harry and Hermione), and even more than a romantic one (Ron and Hermione). It's the love shared between brothers (and sister) in arms. A love found only in the face of constant danger, on the battlefield.

The battlefield here is a series of camping grounds. Grounds in the woods, atop a rocky cliff, and even a few familiar places. The locations are beautiful, and the camera isn't shy about swooping out among them, showcasing their beauty.

The trio throw themselves into finding and destroying Horcruxes, while Voldemort searches for the reason why he just can't seem to kill Harry Potter. It's a race of sorts between he and the three. Out of all of the films, this one has the least amount cut from the source material. Almost eveything, at the very least is touched on, and to me, they get everything across they needed to, for those very few who haven't read the books.

They even add a few things, and one added scene in particular is at the same time, funny, sweet, and heart breaking. The dancing scene will easily go down as one of my favorite scenes from any Potter film.

The film ends with an emotional punch, and during the climax Helena Bonham Carter shines as Bellatrix, chewing scenery with savage flicks of her wand. She was simply fantastic.

HPatDHp1 is fantastic. Thundermatts grade- A+

JonSpangler

JonSpangler
Pirate
Pirate

Saw it IMAX this morning, different view.

Harry Potter, as movies, have never been cinematic titans to me. Very enjoyable and a lot of fun yes, but not outstanding. Filled with maguffins and plot contrivances its to easy to see how the movie has copped out on many occasion. Deathly Hollows (Part 1) does not change things.

With Order of the Pheonix and Halfblood Prince ending on downers Deathly Hollows starts in a dark place. Harry Potter is about to turn 17, his magical protections are about to end. This leads to a series of funny and exciting scenes where Harry taken away from the Dursleys house and to what is believed to be safety. No place is safe of course from "He who can not be named" and soon Harry, Ron, and Hermione are on there own searching for the remaining pieces of Voldys soul.

Frist stop is the Ministry of Magic. A quick drink of plot convient polyjuice potion (didnt that stuff take a month to brew in Chamber of Secrets and now its a OTC energy drink almost) and a self flushing and get to see the effects of that the Dark Lord has made on the magic world and get to see a fun return of a old villain.

Its here the story hits convience zone. Magic bags that hold anything the plot requires and for a few minutes I swear someone cut in Lord of the Rings into the film. Still its good to see the threesome out of Hogwarts and out of there confort zone even if for a movie that supposed to bring Harry to the muggle world they spend most of the time in woods.

Eventually progress is made on both Light and Dark sides. Voldy gets closer to finding a way to kill Harry and Harry gets closer to defeating him. Added in there is the best sequance of the movie, the telling of the Deathly Hollows. A fairy tale brought to life on screen that is joy to watch.

Finally after a movie full of near misses Harry and company get caught. Emotional and cringing scenes follow as well as some of the worst scenes as long standing characters can't distinguish between Harry and Harry with a slightly puffy face. The movie hits home, as it does in the begining, showing that knowone is safe and we see friends die. The movie ends on a death and is a fitting end for a "part 1"

Thats the most of the movie I will tell without spoilers.

Acting is on par with all the other movies. Decent for the kids, outstanding for the adult supporting roles. You can't blame things like wooden acting by Emman Watson on her. Shes been doing it for a decade. And growing up with her outwieghs the fact she is not the strongest actor.

Special effects are excellent. The difference between Dooby from Chamber to now is very noticable. He looks much better.

Along with the plot shortcuts a few other minor critques. Snape gets shorted AGAIN in scenes. As do the Durselys. There is a mirror shard referenced many times that is never explained.

Deathly Hollows is not a stand alone movie. Its hard to put a rating to when really the movie is not finished. Questions and shortcummings in 1 could be explained in 2.

Therefore I give it 3/4 stars with the option to change my thought when the WHOLE movie comes out.

Thundermatts

Thundermatts
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

In fairness to your comments about polyjuice potion and the bag, those both ae straight from the source material. This flick doesn't do anything the book didn't. I don't see any easy shortcuts. (granted, a quick line from hermione explaining that she took some polyjuice potion from mad Eye would have been nice)

As for the puffy face thing, They need to be absoultely sure it's Harry befoe calling Voldy. They say this much. As for Draco not confirming, he's not evil. He's sure it's Harry, but isn't willing to out him right there, for whatever reason.

And dude, that animated telling of The Three Brothers story is stunning.

Snape didn't have any scenes cut or anything. He wasn't shorted, again that
s just sticking to the source material (which is pretty new for this series lol)

But seriously, it is annoying they didn't bother to include the mirror in film five. Or mention where it came from in this flick. Tho that could be JK's fault. She told them to include Kreacher in film five, but didn't bother to make sure they showed Sirius giving him the mirror? That's whack, Mrs. Rowling.

Thundermatts

Thundermatts
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

And yes, I'm an unapologetic Potter nerd, but I'm willing to admit when parts of it don't quite cut it. (The first two flicks aren't that awesome, most of the fourth isn't as well, the Dumbledore stuff in the last book is grindingly boring.) To me though, this flick was perfect.

Captain Painway

Captain Painway
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I posted my thoughts on the movie on my tumblr blog. I'd copy and re-post, but there are some things in there that could be considered spoilerish. http://quirkynerd.tumblr.com/post/1622726982/thoughts-about-harry-potter-7-1

I also have to say that I didn't read the books, so it was all new to me. I know about the big events of the book, but I don't know how the characters get there. Also, I didn't so much write a review or a synopsis, but it's more of my gut reactions to the movie that I saw, and things that I hope happen in the next movie.

JonSpangler wrote:Special effects are excellent. The difference between Dooby from Chamber to now is very noticable. He looks much better.

Along with the plot shortcuts a few other minor critques. Snape gets shorted AGAIN in scenes.

I very much agree with these two statements. Many times I was expecting Snape to appear and got nothing. I was disappointed.

http://likeitderby.com

JonSpangler

JonSpangler
Pirate
Pirate

Thundermatts wrote:In fairness to your comments about polyjuice potion and the bag, those both ae straight from the source material. This flick doesn't do anything the book didn't. I don't see any easy shortcuts. (granted, a quick line from hermione explaining that she took some polyjuice potion from mad Eye would have been nice)

As for the puffy face thing, They need to be absoultely sure it's Harry befoe calling Voldy. They say this much. As for Draco not confirming, he's not evil. He's sure it's Harry, but isn't willing to out him right there, for whatever reason.

And dude, that animated telling of The Three Brothers story is stunning.

Snape didn't have any scenes cut or anything. He wasn't shorted, again that
s just sticking to the source material (which is pretty new for this series lol)

But seriously, it is annoying they didn't bother to include the mirror in film five. Or mention where it came from in this flick. Tho that could be JK's fault. She told them to include Kreacher in film five, but didn't bother to make sure they showed Sirius giving him the mirror? That's whack, Mrs. Rowling.

In fairness the source material is often not up to par and there are shortcuts that made the translation into the films. For example:

-"Convienent" ways to seperate Harry from Ron and Herminie before the final battle. PS had Ron just happen to get a little injured and Herminie HAS to stay. And there is the convient rock fall from COS.

-Magic Hats that just HAPPEN to have magic swords in them to defeat villians.

-The "Room of Plot Convience" aka the Room of Requirement. Where should the kids learn? Lets just make up a room that appears out of nowhere and contains any items you need.

-Time traveling devices that are never used again

-Bags that come from a Final Fantasy RPG. Its just holds EVERYTHING. And of course has everything the plot needs it to have.

-A wierd light trapping device that just so happens sends blue light through peoples bodies and allow them to find missing people. At leasts its really cool to see on screen. Very dramatic. Nope characters just SAY it happens and thats it.

As for Puffy Harry. Hes WITH Ron and Herminie. Lucious knows them Bellitrex knows them. They attacked the Wedding for a reason because he hangs out in the Weaselys. So common sense says you see three people running, 2 longstanding friends of Harry and 1 person who looks like and is built like Harry but with a puffy face and you make the connection its him.

The movies are entertaining, and with 8 of them total you grow up with the characters and get attached but by no means are the books or the movies great storytelling or a epic series.

Thundermatts

Thundermatts
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'm with you about, hey it's Ron and Hermione, who you know, you fought face to face in the fifth one, I'm pretty sure the dude is Harry, but again, I just chalk it up to being overly afraid of being killed by Voldemort.

And every story has stuff that's convienent. The only one that bothers me is the time turner. Why would you not use time travel in a war against the most dangerous dark wizard of all time? Cause it's dangerous to use? THEN DON'T GIVE IT TO A FUCKING THIRTEEN YEAR OLD GIRL SO SHE CAN GO TO CLASS.

But the bag doesn't bother me in the book or the movie. I mean, people cary shit with them. I don't see what the problem is. Of course she would pack essence of dittany.

Ska

Ska
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I thought everything was done well, but more things could've been explained for the audience. I know I don't remember everything about the books.

I think Harry and Hermione's dancing scene was easily one of my favorite scenes from the movies. Oh, and the Tardis tent is awesome.

And about things being "convenient" in the story, they're fucking wizards. I'd say there's quite a few things about their everyday lives that are convenient. I thought Hermione's bag was neat.

Spoiler:

http://www.myspace.com/kristinellenamarie

Captain Painway

Captain Painway
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ska wrote:Oh, and the Tardis tent is awesome.
I totally had a giggle when I saw how much bigger that tent was inside than it was outside. Silly Tardis tent. Laughing

http://likeitderby.com

Ska

Ska
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Silly English and their penchant for things being bigger on the inside.

http://www.myspace.com/kristinellenamarie

JonSpangler

JonSpangler
Pirate
Pirate

Thundermatts wrote:I'm with you about, hey it's Ron and Hermione, who you know, you fought face to face in the fifth one, I'm pretty sure the dude is Harry, but again, I just chalk it up to being overly afraid of being killed by Voldemort.

And every story has stuff that's convienent. The only one that bothers me is the time turner. Why would you not use time travel in a war against the most dangerous dark wizard of all time? Cause it's dangerous to use? THEN DON'T GIVE IT TO A FUCKING THIRTEEN YEAR OLD GIRL SO SHE CAN GO TO CLASS.

But the bag doesn't bother me in the book or the movie. I mean, people cary shit with them. I don't see what the problem is. Of course she would pack essence of dittany.

The funny thing about the time turner for me is that yeah you wouldnt want to go back and try to stop voldy from being created, that could cause history to turn out worse, but why not use it to save Cedric in GOF or prevent Harry from being in the games.

the other thing is that Herminie uses the turner to take double classes. Yet she is always a few minutes late to the ones Harrys in. Shouldnt she be on time?

Thundermatts

Thundermatts
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

he isn't late she's just a little off on the turner. Like she goes to the empty room and sits afte the class, then turns it back in time. That's why she's suddenly appearing out of no where.

Thundermatts

Thundermatts
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

The thing with like, going back in time to save Cedric is you'd have to know he was going to be killed. Once he's dead it's too late. You obviously didn't save him, cause he died. But yeah, it's better to avoid time travel at all lol.

Sandman

Sandman
Ninja
Ninja

if you read the books in the fifth one during the battle of the ministry all of the time turners were destroyed. I know it is a convenient plot device for not using them any more, but it is fine with me. I love all the books and am glad that so far this last movie is the most faithful to the book

Parallax_48

Parallax_48
Cadet
Cadet

I enjoyed it quite a bit.

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

This movie makes me so happy and jazzed for the next one. YAY!

Thundermatts

Thundermatts
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Sandman wrote:
if you read the books in the fifth one during the battle of the ministry all of the time turners were destroyed. I know it is a convenient plot device for not using them any more, but it is fine with me. I love all the books and am glad that so far this last movie is the most faithful to the book

Great point!

Although I assume some exist outside of the ministry, you know, black market time turners and the such!

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I have to say first off, the way Harry, Ron and Hermione went to the Ministry of Magic. Worst way to travel. Ever. I'm sorry but that looked so unsanitary. Ok. I loved this movie. It was really great. The action scenes were fantastic and the quiet scenes were just as amazing. Having read all the books and seen all the movies, I put this franchise up there with the likes of Star Wars and Lord of the RIngs for me. I just love this world and it was a great movie and I cannot wait for the next one. This makes me want to go back and watch the earlier movies again. I still love watching the first one a lot.

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I like what you said about it being comparbale to the great film well...igies. This has been a well done series from day one and it's something to be proud of.

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

riv1 wrote:I like what you said about it being comparbale to the great film well...igies. This has been a well done series from day one and it's something to be proud of.

I think these movies will so hold up the test of time and become classics.

Spazzy

Spazzy
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Parallax_48 wrote:I enjoyed it quite a bit.

yes

http://comixbookgurl.blogspot.com/

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I enjoyed the movie. I thought it was a good "Part 1", but I don't think the movie can stand on it's own, which is unfortunate.

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I think they did it for the right reasons though. I mean, the 2nd one will be well worth it.

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

riv1 wrote:I think they did it for the right reasons though. I mean, the 2nd one will be well worth it.

Yeah, the next one will be intense. I just finished rereading the book today and all the crazy shit that happens in the book pretty much will start right where they left off

rwe1138

rwe1138

Finally saw it and highly enjoyed it. My only complaints were ones that I had from the book as well. (For one thing, why not just drop the locket in your Bag of Infinite Holding? Seems like a no-brainer.) Well, and that I would've liked to see more of Bill Nighy as Scrimgeour, but that's really more of a "Dammit, why'd you cut him from Prince?" thing.

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum