Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

The SNL Thread

+25
Paroxysm
The Ignored One
Mnemosis
shark6495
Spaced4SimonPegg
Batman25JM
ChrisToPhenom
Heytherejeffro
The_Donster
(._Y_.)
Ben Akers
Thundermatts
Denim
Astro13Zombie
Justin
BlueMaxx
Administrator
alucardbarnivous
superdoug
Combo Mo
Esbat
Topcat
Debaser77
Silent K
Metal Misfit
29 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 14]

176The SNL Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The SNL Thread Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:26 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven

I haven't watched the whole thing yet, but I caught the Digital Short, which was funny but a little derivitive off of "Sax Man" from the Lonely Island album. What little I saw of Blake Lively led me to believe she did a pretty decent job...which was surprising.

Taylor Lautner and Bon Jovi next week...the cast had better be extra funny to make up for that double-shot of suck.

177The SNL Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The SNL Thread Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:39 am

Combo Mo

Combo Mo
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Pretty good show. Blake Lively was decent. The "Stolen Potato Chip" started off strange...but by the end I was cracking up. The Tiger Woods press conference was hilarious. The Digital Short was funny. I didn't care for either of the songs Rihanna sang.

BlueMaxx wrote:
Also, the Rihanna wearing the chainmail was, I guess, supposed to be symbolic.

That was Rihanna?? scratch I thought it was Big Poppa Pump.

The SNL Thread - Page 8 Scott_Steiner

178The SNL Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The SNL Thread Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:50 am

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Oh, snap!

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

179The SNL Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The SNL Thread Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:47 am

Debaser77

Debaser77

Combo Mo wrote:
That was Rihanna?? scratch I thought it was Big Poppa Pump.

The SNL Thread - Page 8 Scott_Steiner

lmao

Caught the episode in its entirety. Pretty good. Highlights were Tiger Woods, the UPS ads, the Muppets molonogue, the Digital Short, and the so-strange-I-couldn't-help-but-laugh Stolen Potato Chip sketch. Lively did a decent job. She wasn't hilarious, but her acting was pretty good.

180The SNL Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The SNL Thread Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:28 pm

Combo Mo

Combo Mo
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Wiig to host `SNL' Christmas special as Gilly

NEW YORK – Kristen Wiig's recurring character Gilly might not seemed filled with holiday cheer, yet NBC is turning to her to host a "Saturday Night Live" Christmas special.

"SNL Presents: A Very Gilly Christmas" will air Dec. 17 at 8 p.m. The two-hour special, the first for "SNL" since 2002, will be led by Wiig's Gilly, an ever-smiling Annie-lookalike who delights in violent mischief.

The special will feature new sketches with Gilly and highlights of classic holiday "SNL" sketches.

Wiig, roundly considered a standout performer on the NBC sketch comedy show, has built Gilly into a popular character. In a phone interview Monday, she said part of the fun of Gilly hosting is in her slim vocabulary, which consists mainly of the simple catch-phrase "Sorry."

"That can be a tough one to work around," Wiig said. "There's going to be no long monologue. Maybe her five-word vocabulary will stretch to 10 or 11."

A Gilly sketch is a very structured thing. It's always set in a classroom where an uncertain teacher (Will Forte) questions his students (Kenan Thompson, Bobby Moynihan) on the source of some trouble making.

Wiig and Paula Pell, a writer on the show, came up with the sketch while writing something else, but the idea continued to stick.

"We just kept doing the smile and we did it for a couple weeks," said Wiig. "We were just like, `Let's write it.' Maybe she's this bad kid. We just started saying `Sorry,' and it came organically from there."

Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin will also make guest appearances on the special to help introduce clips they've appeared in as hosts, including Baldwin in "NPR's Delicious Dish and the Schweddy Balls" and Martin in "A Holiday Wish."

If pressed for a holiday favorite, Wiig cites John Malkovich's maniacal reading of "`Twas the Night Before Christmas" last year.

"Since `SNL' has been on for so long, it's 35 years of at least two or three shows a year kind of based on Christmas stuff," said Wiig. "There's a lot of good material there."

Source:http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091208/ap_en_ot/us_tv_snl_christmas

181The SNL Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The SNL Thread Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:59 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77

When did Gilly become a popular character? I love Kristen, but Gilly bugs the hell outta me.

182The SNL Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The SNL Thread Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:48 pm

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

GILLY...

183The SNL Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The SNL Thread Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:44 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I know, right? The first skit of that character was so-so. It was a wtf type of humor, but not worth continuing. I'd rather see the Target Lady, to be honest.

184The SNL Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The SNL Thread Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:37 pm

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

I'm the sole Gilly fan. I'm actually more a fan of Forte's teacher character.

"...GILLY..."

185The SNL Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The SNL Thread Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:24 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77

The last Gilly skit had some funny moments, mostly due to Forte's reactions. I do like him in that sketch.

I'm not a fan of "characters" hosting clip shows unless it's an election special. I'll still check it out though just to relive all the great Christmas-themed skits.

186The SNL Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The SNL Thread Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:56 am

Combo Mo

Combo Mo
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Hmmm...Taylor Lautner was better than I expected. The show had a lot of funny skits, and a couple weak ones.

-Is Taylor Lautner a ninja?? ninja Wow...he's got skills.

-Is Taylor Lautner gay?? scratch In almost all his skits he played either a gay character, a female, or someone very, very effeminate.

-Why does Mrs. Mo think the Doorbell skit was the funniest??? If she says "Ding dong, woof, bears", one more time...I'm signing divorce papers. grrr Laughing

187The SNL Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The SNL Thread Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:40 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ That opener surprised the heck out of me. Especially when he was handed the double-sided katana (It looked like.). He couldn't quite reach Kanye's head with his roundhouse kicks, so he chopped it instead.

I don't think he's gay. I think they were just playing the whole "he's a badass" and spinning. Although, he comes off as metro. Swift, on her SNL skit, said she had a crush or something. I'm thinking that it is because he's underage or maybe they both are, that it is kept DL? IDK, don't really. Heh. Ellen Page did that in a couple of her skits because people were saying she. Maybe she is? Hell, maybe they both are. Who cares though, right?

Had some funniness. The doorbell skit started dumb, then got funny because of its dumbness, then receded back to dumb again by the end. It was alright. Didn't hate it. Considering the host, from my point of view, wasn't a trainwreck.

188The SNL Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The SNL Thread Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:44 pm

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

I'm REBA!

189The SNL Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The SNL Thread Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:51 am

Debaser77

Debaser77

Not a horrible show, but definitely mediocre. Taylor did try his best to bring the funny, but he didn't quite pull it off. Jenny Slate was the MVP of the show...she inspired some chuckles for the first time.

190The SNL Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The SNL Thread Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:25 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77

James Franco / Muse was pretty good, but I HATED the Digital Short. I fail to see the humor in murdering children, if that's indeed what they were supposed to be. Either way, it was way too dark for my liking. "What Up With That" was still kinda funny, but the novelty is starting to wear off. They need to either change it up a little next time or not do it at all until next season.

191The SNL Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The SNL Thread Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:41 pm

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Debaser77 wrote:I HATED the Digital Short. I fail to see the humor in murdering children, if that's indeed what they were supposed to be.

That short was designed to look and behave like the show Yo! Gabba Gabba!, which is weird and psychadelic and lends itself to such weird imagery...and is DESIGNED FOR CHILDREN. I laughed my ass off through the whole thing.

192The SNL Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The SNL Thread Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:46 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77

I got the reference, but it got way too dark. I usually love dark humor, but that was a little much for me.

I like Muse, but I'm not a fan of the first song they played. Sounds like a cross between Blondie's "Call Me" and that old song "Eleanor" by a group or artist whose name eludes me at the moment.

The Salsa Dance talk show was stupid but made me chuckle, mostly due to Keenan's water-fetching/dancing.

193The SNL Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The SNL Thread Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:43 am

Debaser77

Debaser77

Tonight's show was okay, though Barkley didn't really do much. And the last couple of sketches were a mess. They just cut to commercial in the middle of the last one. I guess the football game running long really messed up their timing. Live TV, what can ya do?

Funniest bit was the Digital Short with Alicia Keys...just weird enough to get me laughing.

194The SNL Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The SNL Thread Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:25 am

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

I missed a half hour between Weekend Update and the Scared Straight sketch because of fucking football. I can't ever remember a live SNL getting preempted before...

195The SNL Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The SNL Thread Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:03 am

Debaser77

Debaser77

I think the last time it happened was back in 2001 when the XFL was on NBC.

196The SNL Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The SNL Thread Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:23 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Silent K wrote:I missed a half hour between Weekend Update and the Scared Straight sketch because of fucking football. I can't ever remember a live SNL getting preempted before...
Same here. I think I tuned in a little after midnight, EST. I'd practically forgotten. Anyways, I kept dozing off during the episode. Wasn't holding my interest. Not even the parts without Barkley were good. It's funny that the promos for the episode were even saying that it won't suck because they know when non-actors are on their, it usually stinks. Especially with sports stars. Which, is Barkley still famous? Why was he on there? Cause he sucks at golf and they wanted to laugh more at him?

197The SNL Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The SNL Thread Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:07 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77

^ Yeah that running joke was odd. I'm still not sure why Barkley was on there. Seems like a last minute addition, but he was announced as the host before Christmas.

198The SNL Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The SNL Thread Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:41 pm

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

I figured they'd do more with Keenan's Barkley impression. Barkley is currently notorious for having no filter on NBA on TNT.

199The SNL Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The SNL Thread Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:45 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

SIGOURNEY WEAVER!!! ALIEN SKETCH, ALIEN SKETCH!!! *crosses fingers* happy

...and The Ting Tings. neutral

200The SNL Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The SNL Thread Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:16 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77

^ The Ting Tings are pretty good. You'll probably dig 'em.

I hope I'll get to see some of this...if not, I'll have it waiting on my DVR for when I get home.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum