Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Secret Six

+20
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Aussiemandias
LordD3r3k
LOOSECANNON
comicgeekelly
Fresh03
prescribeddrone
Ben Akers
Batman25JM
The Ignored One
Administrator
shiky800
Joshua
Debaser77
Sci-Fi
BlueMaxx
shining knight
Esbat
alucardbarnivous
rwe1138
24 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 7]

126Secret Six - Page 6 Empty Re: Secret Six Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:22 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

#26 was great. Ragdoll got the best lines, of course.

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

127Secret Six - Page 6 Empty Re: Secret Six Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:22 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bane was fucking bitches up in the beginning of the book. I'm really suprised this doesn't have some sort of a Mature Readers banner on it sometimes.

128Secret Six - Page 6 Empty Re: Secret Six Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:39 pm

Big Poppa Nick

Big Poppa Nick
Ninja
Ninja

http://panelsonpages.com/?p=28962

Of course I had to review my favorite monthly lol.

129Secret Six - Page 6 Empty Re: Secret Six Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:22 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

comicgeekelly wrote:Bane was fucking bitches up in the beginning of the book. I'm really suprised this doesn't have some sort of a Mature Readers banner on it sometimes.
Yeah I tend to agree. Bane was fantastic - that took me by surprise that bit. I guess it's like once in you're in Skartaris you may as well fit in.

#26 was great - I love this book. It kills me how bad the sales are on it. There's no other mainstream book out there like this and I think it's one of the most fun comics around. This issue was no different. Also as usual Calafiore's art was top notch.

I give Tremor 2 issues of life left at the most.

130Secret Six - Page 6 Empty Re: Secret Six Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:07 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

#27 rocked, as per usual. Blake in Warlord's getup is quite a sight. Plus, who'd've thunk Ragdoll wore Superman underpants?

131Secret Six - Page 6 Empty Re: Secret Six Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:26 pm

Denim

Denim
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Amanda Waller proves once again that she is the wrong person to mess with.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/theusernameiwantedformyprofile

132Secret Six - Page 6 Empty Re: Secret Six Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:02 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Issue #27

rwe1138 wrote:#27 rocked, as per usual. Blake in Warlord's getup is quite a sight. Plus, who'd've thunk Ragdoll wore Superman underpants?
That was pretty funny.

Denim wrote:Amanda Waller proves once again that she is the wrong person to mess with.
Yep, she always comes out on top.

This issue was great, yet again. There is no better book for everything going wrong and taking a complete detour from the original plan/storyline. It's what made Suicide Squad such a fun book in the 80s and what makes this book so damn good every month (in addition to the characters). I thought it was possibly Calafiore's best issue so far and what a great cover by Luvisi (who has done a lot of great covers on this book)!

I think there's always been a rule in Skartaris that if you end up there you eventually have to strip down to loin cloths and bikinis and it amused me that this issue proved no exception.

Man, these characters had problems when the series commenced at issue #1 but a number of them are in worse shape now than they were back then (Scandal, Cat-Man and probably even Bane).

133Secret Six - Page 6 Empty Re: Secret Six Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:22 am

rwe1138

rwe1138

Loved #28. Personally, I've been waiting for those last few pages ever since that Deathstroke/Titans one-shot came out. Gail did not let me down.

134Secret Six - Page 6 Empty Re: Secret Six Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:33 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

rwe1138 wrote:Loved #28. Personally, I've been waiting for those last few pages ever since that Deathstroke/Titans one-shot came out. Gail did not let me down.
While I didn't really know any of the history behind Gigant and The Atom that was pretty exceptional.

Every issue it hits me how much Gail Simone must have been a fan of the 80s Suicide Squad - she captures the feel and chaos of that comic every month. And that's what this comic always feels like - chaos.

Issue #28 was so damn good. I think the thing I love most about Gail's work is her characterisation. She has really got me interested in Black Alice - over these past issues that she's been in Gail has done tremendous work to build a real person here and it's been really well done.

A couple of funny moments both involving King Shark - his bomb dive into the spa and the one that absolutely cracked me up, his exclamation "Arthur Curry's fishsack, that was close!". Laughing

135Secret Six - Page 6 Empty Re: Secret Six Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:25 pm

Spazzy

Spazzy
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Yeah.. He deserved that shit! Ass.. Poor Atom Sad

http://comixbookgurl.blogspot.com/

136Secret Six - Page 6 Empty Re: Secret Six Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:34 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

I'm somewhat divided on #29. It was good, but not quite on the same level as the book's been lately. It felt like Gail was doing her best to salvage something worthwhile from a lackluster crossover. But whatever, hopefully it'll give sales a nice boost. Ragdoll was great, Deadshot had some great one-liners, and the art was gorgeous, so I'm okay with it.

137Secret Six - Page 6 Empty Re: Secret Six Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:46 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

If I didn't read the first part of the crossover will I be fine reading this?

138Secret Six - Page 6 Empty Re: Secret Six Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:07 am

rwe1138

rwe1138

Yeah, I think you'll be okay. 'Doll does a good job as narrator.

139Secret Six - Page 6 Empty Re: Secret Six Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:57 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

rwe1138 wrote:I'm somewhat divided on #29. It was good, but not quite on the same level as the book's been lately. It felt like Gail was doing her best to salvage something worthwhile from a lackluster crossover.

I think the problem lies with Vandal Savage. His motivation just didn't connect with me. "I need to know why you're going after the black energy because it'll bring me great happiness.. oh wait, the happiness is that I realize I want to kill you." Wha? scratch

I don't think Cornell thought that one out too much

140Secret Six - Page 6 Empty Re: Secret Six Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:46 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

S.S. #29

It’s about time! If you have a pull-list at your local comic shop containing DC Comics, odds are that Secret Six is one of the titles. Funny, then, how this is my first purchase of Gail Simone’s wildly successful antihero title. In the past I’ve “trade-waited” Secret Six, considering this series hasn’t played a major role in recent events or crises since the Infinite one. Though honestly, it’s become a constant annoyance to see many of my colleagues in the comic world pick up this title up and absolutely love it.

Yup, you guessed it; the old “crossover” method worked me over into buying this title solo, as the last issue of Action Comics team-up against Vandal Savage concludes here. Not wanting to wait 8-10 months for its conclusion, I decided now was the time to jump. With Gail Simone’s effortless wit and take on Lex Luthor that very nearly matches Cornell’s, I’m glad I did. Although the creative teams are different this time out, the smooth transition will have you checking the credits. Vandal’s unbridled threats to Luthor continue, while his daughter Scandal’s whispering repartee with Lex is perfect.

Thankfully the issue gets a lot deeper than that, including the very origin of Scandal’s birth. Simone doesn’t stop with the conversational shocks, and even when the first half of the issue feels more an Action Comics issue, the second half is undeniably owned by Bane, Catman, and crew. Marcos Marz’ does a great job emulating the stilled, new painterly style of Pete Woods in this shot, while Jason Wright’s brushes contain a whole different palette, one more akin to pragmatism than Brad Anderson’s bright colors. The contrast makes sense, especially when it comes to Ragdoll’s wistful rants.

This shouldn’t be the last time these titles meet again, at least not the last time these writers do. Their penchant for writing clever personalities is so apparent I wouldn’t mind seeing the two sharing co-writing duties during a big Lex event. Does a Birds of Prey/Secret Six crossover seem a little more obvious? Regardless, with all these villains on Lex’s bucket list being shot down by his wits month after month, something bad (or orange) is bound to brew—and trade-waiting Secret Six is not one of them.

4/5

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

141Secret Six - Page 6 Empty Re: Secret Six Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:39 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Well of the 29 issues of this series, which every month is one of my favourites, I thought this was the worst. I didn't enjoy it at all. This just didn't feel like a regular Secret Six issue to me - obviously due to the crossover (and I understand why they've done it - sales of this book are just not very good). It just felt totally off. I don't think it was one of Simone's finer moments and once again that's probably due to telling only the second part of the crossover. Compare it to the Suicide Squad crossover a while back and, well, there's no comparison.

Secondly, I see that other people liked it but I actually thought the art was pretty ordinary. Marz doesn't appear to be a very good storyteller to me with all the characters in stiff and undynamic poses. I don't think it would have been clear to a lot of first time readers that Black Alice had converted to Green Lantern (Alan Scott) powers to save the characters at one point - you couldn't even tell it was her.

The only saving grace for me was the (as usual) fantastic Luvisi cover. That guy has been awesome with the covers on this book.

142Secret Six - Page 6 Empty Re: Secret Six Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:10 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

I agree about "characters in stiff and undynamic poses," but that's sort of the point. The book is a perfect conclusion to Pete Woods new art. While Woods is much more dynamic over at Action, it was a nice transition that made the story look complete.

143Secret Six - Page 6 Empty Re: Secret Six Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:38 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

#30 was excellent. Looking forward to the wrap-up in Doom Patrol.

144Secret Six - Page 6 Empty Re: Secret Six Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:46 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ I think excellent is a bit generous. I actually think these crossover issues these last few months have weakened the storytelling a bit. Still fun, but just alittle off

145Secret Six - Page 6 Empty Re: Secret Six Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:49 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

So far, I've dug this one way more than the Action one. Hopefully Giffen won't disappoint me.

146Secret Six - Page 6 Empty Re: Secret Six Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:54 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

rwe1138 wrote:So far, I've dug this one way more than the Action one. Hopefully Giffen won't disappoint me.

I'd agree, this was better than the Action one. But then again, the Action one was flawed from the get-go.

147Secret Six - Page 6 Empty Re: Secret Six Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:38 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LordD3r3k wrote:^ I think excellent is a bit generous. I actually think these crossover issues these last few months have weakened the storytelling a bit. Still fun, but just alittle off

I agree 100%. Last issue was terrible - this was definitely better but still not great. The opening stuff with Bane was great as usual but then I found myself not terribly interested in the Doom Patrol. I won't be getting the Doom Patrol issue because I find myself not really caring how this ends.

Can't wait until things are back to normal next issue.

148Secret Six - Page 6 Empty Re: Secret Six Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:42 am

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

30 had some good character moments. I don't think I'll bother to check out the second part of the crossover though.

149Secret Six - Page 6 Empty Re: Secret Six Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:53 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

I'll probably breeze through it or check reviews...how does a series like Doom Patrol survive?

150Secret Six - Page 6 Empty Re: Secret Six Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:59 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LOOSECANNON wrote:I'll probably breeze through it or check reviews...how does a series like Doom Patrol survive?

Mate, I think that's a great question! Could it be that some creators are given more opportunity than others when their books aren't selling?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum