Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

To Open, or Not To Open

+3
Mnemosis
krpykrwly
blue halo
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1To Open, or Not To Open Empty To Open, or Not To Open Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:42 pm

blue halo

blue halo
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Here's a question for you kids... Over the last while, I've bought a bunch of figures that I have no intention on ever selling, and some that I do. I've looked on eBay, and they all still seem to be sitting at what I paid for them, with a few exceptions. The ones that I do plan on selling, it is an obvious answer there: don't. But, since there's many that are just for my own enjoyment, with no intent on resale, the question is this: should I open them for display?

2To Open, or Not To Open Empty Re: To Open, or Not To Open Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:16 pm

krpykrwly

krpykrwly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Your guys want to be opened.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?ref=profile&

3To Open, or Not To Open Empty Re: To Open, or Not To Open Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:43 pm

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

Here's the only way to answer that:

What will you do with them once you open them, and what kind of packaging are they in?

I'm a poser. 90% if the fun of toys for me is finding that perfect pose for each one, grouping them with other toys, and DISPLAYING them. I love Lee, but I'll never understand the mentality of opening toys just to stand them row upon row, feet firmly planted, one in front of the other. The only toys I don't open are the ones that I'm COLLECTING, not even for resale, but for their collectible nature, such as con exclusives.

Now, my point about the packaging... if they look great in the package, and the package brings something to the party, keep em in package. If I'd had the money and inclination to get every Marvel Select figure, I'd have one of each still MiMP on a bookshelf, and then the few that I really loved opened and displayed. As is, I bought them mostly to compliment my Legends collection and as such, have opened those I got.

Ultimately, my question is, how are you going to get the most value out of them? By opening, posing, and displaying, or by keeping them packaged on display? I know the answer for me, but it isn't the same for everyone.

4To Open, or Not To Open Empty Re: To Open, or Not To Open Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:50 pm

blue halo

blue halo
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Thanks for nothin', Rob! Laughing I do get what you mean about the highly collectable ones, though. I don't believe any of mine are, but the Nightwing figure I just picked up was pretty hard to find. I also don't think the RotF Optimus Prime is going anywhere in price.

I would like to pose and display them all in groups/scenes and such. Plus, the added bonus is that taking them out of the packaging will allow for better use of my already minimal display area.

5To Open, or Not To Open Empty Re: To Open, or Not To Open Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:01 am

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

I... I'm Jason.

Also, yeah... out of package usually means less room. One of the big exceptions with that are the Marvel Selects.

Here's a perfect example though (that I'll be showing off in a week or so when I get my Cobra Stinger jeep)... I have two shelves of a glass case dedicated to a Cobra assault team. The lower shelf will feature the Modern Era sculpt of the Water Moccasin (I ain't calling it the Sting Raider) and the Stinger jeep, with a Fang overhead. The top shelf features a Rattler, Trouble Bubble, and two CLAW Gliders. Now, in package, I wouldn't have room to display ANY of those vehicles. Out of package, I've created a battle scene I'm VERY proud of.

6To Open, or Not To Open Empty Re: To Open, or Not To Open Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:13 am

Esbat

Esbat
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Open 'em up!

To Open, or Not To Open Newnewavengers

http://realityfugitives.com/

7To Open, or Not To Open Empty Re: To Open, or Not To Open Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:56 am

blue halo

blue halo
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Mnemosis wrote:I... I'm Jason.

Also, yeah... out of package usually means less room. One of the big exceptions with that are the Marvel Selects.

Here's a perfect example though (that I'll be showing off in a week or so when I get my Cobra Stinger jeep)... I have two shelves of a glass case dedicated to a Cobra assault team. The lower shelf will feature the Modern Era sculpt of the Water Moccasin (I ain't calling it the Sting Raider) and the Stinger jeep, with a Fang overhead. The top shelf features a Rattler, Trouble Bubble, and two CLAW Gliders. Now, in package, I wouldn't have room to display ANY of those vehicles. Out of package, I've created a battle scene I'm VERY proud of.

No. You're Rob. And you'll like it. Or else.

Which roughly translates into... oops! blush

8To Open, or Not To Open Empty Re: To Open, or Not To Open Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:27 am

Lee

Lee
Administrator
Administrator

Mnemosis wrote:I love Lee, but I'll never understand the mentality of opening toys just to stand them row upon row, feet firmly planted, one in front of the other.

That would be because there are HUNDREDS Laughing

To Open, or Not To Open IMG_6088

Open your toys, Halo. They're suffocating in their plastic prisons.

http://www.leerodriguez.net

9To Open, or Not To Open Empty Re: To Open, or Not To Open Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:36 am

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Some I open some I don't

10To Open, or Not To Open Empty Re: To Open, or Not To Open Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:30 pm

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

Lee wrote:
Mnemosis wrote:I love Lee, but I'll never understand the mentality of opening toys just to stand them row upon row, feet firmly planted, one in front of the other.

That would be because there are HUNDREDS Laughing

Open your toys, Halo. They're suffocating in their plastic prisons.

To the first comment, I understand. I just... couldn't do that. I wouldn't be displaying figures if I couldn't be showing them off dynamically. The big exception to this is the DC Direct figures, which for the most part can't DO dynamic posing. Those I just scowl at, menacingly.

Now, onto the second part... I had this crazy idea to create a toy that was packaged with some sort of gas that became corrosive after a spell. Basic idea would be, anyone who left their figure MiMP would end up with a corroded blob of goo, and the ONLY mint figures would be ones that had been opened and cared for. I wouldn't announce this ahead of time, either. So some people, ten years later, would have worthless blobs and no recourse!

11To Open, or Not To Open Empty Re: To Open, or Not To Open Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:44 pm

Lee

Lee
Administrator
Administrator

Oh, I've got poses in there, dammit!

12To Open, or Not To Open Empty Re: To Open, or Not To Open Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:35 pm

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

Okay okay! Didn't mean to insult you, geez... MRAWR!

13To Open, or Not To Open Empty Re: To Open, or Not To Open Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:58 pm

Lee

Lee
Administrator
Administrator

You're just jealous of my shelfy goodness.

14To Open, or Not To Open Empty Re: To Open, or Not To Open Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:45 pm

blue halo

blue halo
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Lee wrote:You're just jealous of my shelfy goodness.
I know I'm jealous of your shelfy goodness. Don't let JASON bring you down!

15To Open, or Not To Open Empty Re: To Open, or Not To Open Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:42 pm

Splitty

Splitty
Ninja
Ninja

Oops, I forgot to post this. My goto response is always:

OPEN!!!
To Open, or Not To Open Freaksaf

http://www.myspace.com/splitty

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum