Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

New Avengers

+15
jaydee74
DickGrayson007
comicgeekelly
Mnemosis
Debaser77
Metal Misfit
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Bigtymin504
hrdwrkngXsoldier
shiky800
Fresh03
Batman25JM
Aussiemandias
prescribeddrone
LOOSECANNON
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 8]

101New Avengers - Page 5 Empty Re: New Avengers Sun May 02, 2010 11:28 pm

G_Zatara

G_Zatara
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I still don't understand the relaunch of the title. When you relaunch things, it's to start over stories, this just seems to be continuing stories. *confused*

102New Avengers - Page 5 Empty Re: New Avengers Mon May 03, 2010 12:04 am

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:New Avengers #64

Meh. It just feels like with all that's going on that Bendis isn't putting as much effort or focus into this book. It's like it's limping along waiting for the Heroic Age to begin. The issue wasn't horrible, but it wasn't that great either. I just can't wait for the Finale to be over so we can get to the Heroic Age.

That's how I felt as well. Just seems like filler to finish the issue count.

103New Avengers - Page 5 Empty Re: New Avengers Mon May 03, 2010 3:34 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

New Avengers #64

I do wish that this event was unfolding more like the chapter based Second Coming over in X-Men. The Siege event has been put together in a way that is a little all over the place. In typical New Avengers style this book showcases The Hood and his gang as much or more than the New Avengers. Bendis uses this issue as an opportunity to illustrate some parallels between The Hood and the New Avengers, especially the organization aspect and the relationships between Hood and Madame Masque and Clint Barton and Mockingbird. It was done in a really subtle artsy way…but it is there.

We see that the Nornstones choose who is deserving of the power they provide and we see how easily it can be stripped away. The one thing that is definite in this issue is that Sentry is becoming a problem that everybody will have to deal with. One iteration of him looks like a demon from limbo more than the dark tentacle form in early books. Loki’s scheme is coming together and the Hood’s is clearly falling apart…or maybe just taking a new direction.

Overall a decent read and it gives us some previously unknown information, but this did seem more like a Hood book than a New Avengers book.

3.5 out of 5 Nornstones

104New Avengers - Page 5 Empty Re: New Avengers Fri May 07, 2010 2:53 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

New Avengers - Page 5 NAfinale

preview
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=5136&disp=table

I think this will be a wild finale to the ongoing Hood saga that's been running through this book for a couple years now. And Bendis + Hitch should be pretty badass.

105New Avengers - Page 5 Empty Re: New Avengers Fri May 07, 2010 3:37 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

That's a great cover.

106New Avengers - Page 5 Empty Re: New Avengers Fri May 07, 2010 9:28 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:New Avengers - Page 5 NAfinale

preview
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=5136&disp=table

I think this will be a wild finale to the ongoing Hood saga that's been running through this book for a couple years now. And Bendis + Hitch should be pretty badass.

Now THAT is some nice art (the cover and the preview). It's good to see Hitch turning out some nice stuff again. IMO, his work on Captain America: Reborn and Fantastic Four was not that great.

107New Avengers - Page 5 Empty Re: New Avengers Wed May 12, 2010 8:28 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

New Avengers Finale

This was the last of the trio of Bendis finale books, and it was great. Both Bendis and Hitch were in top form on this. As a longtime New Avengers reader and fan, this was right up my alley. We got the team finally deciding to put an end to The Hood's empire once and for all. He and Madame Masque are desperate and on the run. I loved that Count Nefaria makes an appearance in this helping his daughter, for a price lol. And the last few pages showing all the major points of this series run were great. Felt like a nice way to cap this era for the Avengers and bring in the new one. That last page spread was a perfect way to sum up how things are different...the heroes can now take a simple walk in the park whenever they want. Smile

108New Avengers - Page 5 Empty Re: New Avengers Thu May 13, 2010 6:28 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

New Avengers Finale #1

While I’m not entirely pleased with the way Marvel has handled their books lately, particularly with the unnecessary drawn-out wait for Siege #4, long-time New Avengers fans have got to be ecstatic with this Finale’s execution. This one-shot is almost half a typical trade’s length in size, making the issue’s $5 price tag well worth your hard-earned nickels and dimes.

The cover art from guest artist Bryan Hitch, of Captain America and Ultimates fame, is gorgeous in its own right. Hitch, along with longtime inker Butch Guice, also go on to craft a handsome book. Although some may disagree with the art selection, considering Stuart Immonen (who pencils the issue’s final 2-page spread) has done quite the bang-up job thus far, it’s only apparent Hitch, Guice and colorist Paul Mounts have the goods when it comes to conjuring high-epic story, realistic street-level warriors, low-brow conferencing, and exhilarating clashes, especially Ms. Marvel’s epic plunge onto Count Nefaria’s astute villainy. Yes, the highly underused superheroine finally gets her due absorbing the longtime Avengers nemesis’ immortal technique. Thank the high heavens we’re not put through another Hood battle we’ve witnessed in this series—and in Siege—one time too many.

New Avengers Finale #1 tends to do everything right, if lacking the bombshell factor. There are the usual funny quips from Brian Michael Bendis, this time featuring a brief-but-thankfully-nasty appearance from Wolverine, appreciating Luke Cage's invite: “…anything to get away from Cyclops.” In one shining moment Cage himself bursts out as the leading man he’s strived for since Secret Invasion, even if his daughter apparently skrulled over into a son in this issue’s drastically poor editorial moment.

Following the issue’s entire boom-and-crash signature rampaging, there’s a key meeting with Obama’s newly-appointed top cop, Steve Rogers, who has a funny moment with longtime pal Clint Barton: “I’m the new Nick Fury.” After several flashback splash pages recapping highlights from the New Avengers run (complete with the original such pencils of David Finch, Frank D’Armata, Mike Deodato, Leinil Yu Francis, etc.), Steve claims victory for this no-longer underground group of Avengers, all the while jointing their best and worst moments of triumph and torment toward the current state of heroic tranquility. Sure, a new volume of New Avengers comes out in a few weeks with big shouts to Jewel and The Thing, but at least today Bendis gets one of his finales right.

If indeed Siege was just another device for changing the status quo, New Avengers Finale affectively sums up all that was good during one of Marvel’s most successful runs in company history; for that, anyway, Bendis deserves closing this curtain to grateful applause.

4/5 Bags&Boards - Outstanding end to an overall excellent run.

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

109New Avengers - Page 5 Empty Re: New Avengers Thu May 13, 2010 7:02 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

The New Avengers Finale

This book could have been called New Avengers/Hood for the last year or more. This was less of a finale though and more of a fail. I was expecting so much more from a book titled as it was. This one kind of let me down. At $5.00 this let down felt almost like a waste. The art wasn’t great, sometimes I couldn’t tell if it was Ronin or Steve Rodgers in the panel. Some of the overall art is just bad though. The only saving grace was the spread page gallery type ending. This ending was pretty much a brief walk-through of where the New Avengers have been and where they are heading.

The story itself revolves around the New Avengers going after the Hood. Of coarse it wouldn’t be a NA comic without Parker Robins. By the way did anybody else know some obscure marvel knowledge? Count Nefaria is Madame Masque’s father. I’m a marvel geek through and through and I didn’t know that.

So MM and Hood go to her daddy’s place to hide out after the fall of Osborn’s forces at Broxton Oklahoma. Count Nefaria is a really nice guy and offers to power up Parker for the small price of…EVERYTHING. That’s right, he wants everything that the Hood has made since he came up in the criminal world. I guess that was the right price because Mr. Robins was ready to do it.

Then enter the New Avengers. They get there in Fury’s aircraft. Why? I don’t know, but they probably realize that only 1 flier on the team was a mistake in roster design. The rest of the issue is the equivalent of a bad Michael Bay movie. (Or just a Michael Bay movie in general.) The art was sloppy and inconsistent. Thankfully it was over. This series ended on what I believe to be a low note. They could have done something more with it than this, it felt like more of a forum to put Hood up on a pedestal than it did a superhero comic.

3 out of 5 REBOOTS

110New Avengers - Page 5 Empty Re: New Avengers Thu May 13, 2010 11:40 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

New Avengers Finale #1

I enjoyed this. It was a decent end to the first New Avengers chapter as well as to the ongoing Hood story.

I loved the Steve Rogers stuff.

The art was pretty good. The only major complaint about it that I have is Wolverine. He looked AWFUL. He looks horrible on the cover as well. I didn't really notice it before.

I can't wait for the relaunch.

111New Avengers - Page 5 Empty Re: New Avengers Fri May 14, 2010 10:48 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I loved the finale. It was my favorite book of the week for sure. The writing and the art were both great.

112New Avengers - Page 5 Empty Re: New Avengers Sat May 15, 2010 3:53 am

Jango Fett

Jango Fett
Cadet
Cadet

I really enjoyed it. I thought Hitch was awesome as usual. I really like his stuff.

113New Avengers - Page 5 Empty Re: New Avengers Sat May 15, 2010 5:18 am

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

The finale was pretty good.

114New Avengers - Page 5 Empty Re: New Avengers Thu May 20, 2010 7:36 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:New Avengers Finale

This was the last of the trio of Bendis finale books, and it was great. Both Bendis and Hitch were in top form on this. As a longtime New Avengers reader and fan, this was right up my alley. We got the team finally deciding to put an end to The Hood's empire once and for all. He and Madame Masque are desperate and on the run. I loved that Count Nefaria makes an appearance in this helping his daughter, for a price lol. And the last few pages showing all the major points of this series run were great. Felt like a nice way to cap this era for the Avengers and bring in the new one. That last page spread was a perfect way to sum up how things are different...the heroes can now take a simple walk in the park whenever they want. Smile

Batman25JM wrote:New Avengers Finale #1

I enjoyed this. It was a decent end to the first New Avengers chapter as well as to the ongoing Hood story.

I loved the Steve Rogers stuff.

The art was pretty good. The only major complaint about it that I have is Wolverine. He looked AWFUL. He looks horrible on the cover as well. I didn't really notice it before.

I can't wait for the relaunch.

I agree with both you guys and the rest of you. I thought this was really good. Felt like a real tying up of loose ends. So, well done Bendis on this issue.

I loved that last double page which I think was by Stuart Immonen. I thought Hitch's art seemed rushed and not really his best work but still not bad.

115New Avengers - Page 5 Empty Re: New Avengers Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:44 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

New Avengers - Page 5 New-avengers-vol-2-2010061102105861

preview: http://comics.ign.com/articles/109/1096710p1.html

Immonen is outdoing himself!

116New Avengers - Page 5 Empty Re: New Avengers Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:32 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^He really is, that artwork is outstanding.

117New Avengers - Page 5 Empty Re: New Avengers Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:57 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

New Avengers #1 (vol. 2) hehe

This may have been the strongest issue of the recent Avengers relaunches. The set up was great with Luke, Steve, and Tony and how this team came about. We still don't have a fully defined roster but it seems like it will be pretty fluid anyway, which makes sense. I enjoyed the parts with Victoria Hand, she should be a great addition to this book (it's never fun when everyone gets along lol).

Also, I loved all the magic stuff with Strange, Damion Hellstrom, and Voodoo. It looks like Hellstrom's warnings about the weakening of the realm from earlier in the series are starting to come to fruition. Bendis throughout this New Avengers run has really proven to be great at writing magic IMO. The captions with the different types of spells being used and the magic books they were derived from were damn cool. I'm glad he's giving some much needed attention to the mystical side of the MU. Also, Immonen is doing his career best work here, and that's saying something.

118New Avengers - Page 5 Empty Re: New Avengers Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:15 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I haven't read it yet but a friend of mine got it for me because I AM AN AVENGER! My picture is in the two page spread of this issue. Freaking awesome.

119New Avengers - Page 5 Empty Re: New Avengers Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:22 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

This book has to be Immonen's best work. I was very happy with New Avengers and I think it made the decision between Avengers and New Avengers very easy for me. Only one would stay on my pull list and it looks like New Avengers will be that book.

120New Avengers - Page 5 Empty Re: New Avengers Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:24 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

comicgeekelly wrote:This book has to be Immonen's best work. I was very happy with New Avengers and I think it made the decision between Avengers and New Avengers very easy for me. Only one would stay on my pull list and it looks like New Avengers will be that book.
Yeah, I just flipped through it but the part in the beginning with
Spoiler:
was quite cool.

121New Avengers - Page 5 Empty Re: New Avengers Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:48 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

New Avengers #1

Loved it.

The story was interesting. I'm not the biggest fan of the magic corner of the MU, but I really enjoyed the stuff in this book.

The Victoria Hand stuff was great. I love her with the team.

The art was beyond fantastic. I could not have loved it more. Immonen now officially draws my favorite Iron Fist.

I'm curious about the roster. I know that Spider-Man and Wolverine will be serving on two teams, but now Hawkeye will as well? I'm actually for it though. If for no other reason than to see Immonen draw him on a regular basis. I'm also glad that Mockingbird is (apparently) on the team.

I know some people might not like it, but I LOVED Wolverine's little tongue in cheek mentioning about being on so many teams.

122New Avengers - Page 5 Empty Re: New Avengers Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:13 pm

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'M IN THE BOOK!
New Avengers - Page 5 2ns9mj4

Last pic with sun glasses!

I'M IMMORTAL IN PRINT! Very Happy

123New Avengers - Page 5 Empty Re: New Avengers Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:53 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^Awesome! I was going to submit my photo for that but never ended up doing it...

124New Avengers - Page 5 Empty Re: New Avengers Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:31 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

New Avengers #1

Now I’m really disappointed in the Avengers. You figure with all their monetary means through crime fighting and selling $3.99 comic books that this conglomerate of heroes could afford a real moving company.

Nope.

As usual, it’s do-it-yourself, with brawny show-offs such as Luke Cage and the Thing holstering their hide-a-beds over their left shoulders. One could only imagine.

Now what does this have to do with anything? Promotion, of course. Marvel loves to solicit the heck out of solicits so why not bolster the revenue of yours truly’s only claim to funds? I won’t do it here, but at least another Atlas, I mean, ahem, super group does it every month their book is released.

This was a fun book. The second volume of New Avengers continues many of the threads with many of the same liberties as the ever so successful first 60-semod issues did. Luke Cage is running the team thanks to Captain Super Soldier, and, unsurprisingly, many of the same Avengers from the Avengers join the New Avengers. As if there weren’t enough Avengers.

Thankfully writer Brian Michael Bendis adds a lot more to the story than just dinner-time quips and Heroic Age rejuvenations. One of the New Old Avengers most potential-leading stories is continued here, with Doctor Strange and Daimon Hellstrom overcome by mystical means with eyes towards the Eyesof Agamatto—and the looming death (?) of Doctor Voodoo. By no means is that a spoiler, as this is Bendis, this is comics and it’s sure to be revealed that the Sorcerer Supreme was overtaken by a negative zone timeline in an alternate reality. In other words, expect a lot of magic.

It boggles me every time out writing these reviews when leaving the art comments last—for these Avengers books have never looked prettier. Even if you can’t stand Bendis “speak,” Marvel’s in top shape with Alan Davis on Prime, John Romita Jr. on the adjectiveless Avengers, and Stuart Immonen staying on New. Immonen might just be the best of them. Reading this comic was almost like watching a really good straight-to-DVD Marvel cartoon, as these pencils were as live as it gets. Even if you are starting to see several heroes on several books (Bendis does a nice job fourth walling it with Wolverine), Immonen’s take on them adds new dimension.

4/5 Crappy U-Hawls - Now only if the New Avengers hired me to do all their moving, I could surely use the hours…or the dollar tip (thanks Tony!).

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

125New Avengers - Page 5 Empty Re: New Avengers Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:19 am

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

prescribeddrone wrote:I'M IN THE BOOK!
New Avengers - Page 5 2ns9mj4

Last pic with sun glasses!

I'M IMMORTAL IN PRINT! Very Happy

That's awesome. I'm in the book too. First page of the spread. Five pictures over and five pictures down. I don't have a working scanner so I can't scan my pic in. Sad

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum