Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brightest Day

+42
TheBrownLantern
DickGrayson007
dmahoney
WonderWoman2.0
elijahdprophet
TheeDoctorWhoHasDreads?
Zeroskull21
Debaser77
LordD3r3k
G_Zatara
JonSpangler
shark6495
superdoug
LOOSECANNON
Hannibal king
Spazzy
rwe1138
Spider_Fan14
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
blue halo
Tom
Foreigner_Man
Demonweasel
jaydee74
Mnemosis
Jherek
Esbat
alucardbarnivous
Rath99
Aussiemandias
shiky800
krpykrwly
comicgeekelly
Joshua
Sandman
BrodieBruce_BlaculaHunter
BlueMaxx
Batman25JM
Fresh03
prescribeddrone
Bigtymin504
shining knight
46 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14 ... 22  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 22]

151Brightest Day - Page 7 Empty Re: Brightest Day Fri May 07, 2010 4:41 pm

elijahdprophet

elijahdprophet
PoP! Brewmaster
PoP! Brewmaster

From what I understand this is what happened with the rings.

DC: We have X rings produced or almost produced, how are orders for issue one looking, Diamond?

Diamond: We have less than X so far, so we should be GREAT on rings!

DC: Dope.

TIME PASSES AND IT IS NOW TWO WEEKS BEFORE THE BOOK LAUNCHES

Diamond: Oops, hey DC, those numbers we gave you? Yeah, those were for North America only, here is the real total [A number much larger than X]

DC: Fuuuuuuuuuuuuu...

I know a guy who knows a guy in promotions for DC on some level and apparently Diamond actually sent an email with 'oops' in the subject line. My guy said that there would be rings with issue two though, so I imagine DC is going into emergency production.

As for the issue, I liked most of it. There wasn't anything that really bothered me, but some of it I was kind of meh about. Part of it is that there are some characters I have just never really followed, but so far I am at least interested.

152Brightest Day - Page 7 Empty Re: Brightest Day Fri May 07, 2010 5:27 pm

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

Bigtymin504 wrote:

Plus it shatters the stereotype that black people can't swim.

Do they have adamantium bonded to their skeletons?

153Brightest Day - Page 7 Empty Re: Brightest Day Fri May 07, 2010 10:40 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'm pretty happy that my LCS got their White Rings so now I have the full set of the DC rings.

The issue itself was pretty damn cool. I'm pretty sure this is the first time I ever saw Black Manta as a baddass.

154Brightest Day - Page 7 Empty Re: Brightest Day Sat May 08, 2010 5:15 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Brightest Day #1

New Bedford, Massachusetts just got cheesed out. Look, I live in the “Whaling City.” Some even refer to this city of hundred thousand people (plus illegal immigrants) as the Fishing Mecca of the United States. Yet, upon hearing news that dangerous, child-kidnapping Somali pirates were put down by a reincarnated…Aquaman!...a small-town fish cutter goes on a murderous rampage in this issue. Thing is, that wouldn’t happen in nearby Westport, Geoff. That would happen in New Bedford. The same town that delivered the pool table rape scene in The Accused with Jodie Foster, the same town known several years ago to have a McDonald’s hostage situation, the same town that only recently had a deranged, Gears of War-inspired psychopath go… Ahh, alright, enough’s enough. Maybe Geoff Johns did our little city a huge favor excluding us from this issue.

As for Brightest Day #1's quality itself, it smells like fresh linguica fired up on the grill, like waves crashing against the stoned walls of Davey Locker’s ocean end (see, had to give my city props somehow, someway). I wouldn’t say this number one tops the zero issue, as some of the more interesting resurrections are omitted this time out. Thankfully, Aquaman is the closest to a sure thing when it comes to a next character to blow. His bulletproof-scaled chain mail, uncanny ability to summon terrifying sea creatures, all along with a ferociously red vixen in arms, easily makes this oft-ridiculed hero Brightest Day’s epicenter in my eyes. And the rest of the character beats aren’t bad either.

There’s no surprise Hawkman and Hawkwoman (not a typo) grab a huge chunk of the spotlight too. These characters have died so many times they’re bound to make some yarns about it; heck, they almost die in this book too. You got to love little nudges like this to longtime readers. I’m not so clued-up on their antagonist here, though I’m hoping it’s not another one of those Vandal Savage types that consistently pilfers artifacts as a way of provoking their enemy. This section of Brightest Day could get really boring, really fast. Their contribution towards this debut issue, though, packs plenty of punch and the most intense moments in the bi-weekly series yet.

There are a few minor grips I have with this issue, and trust me, they are minor. As impressive as Steigerwald’s coloring is throughout the nautical scenes and the intro featuring the New Guardians, I’m not sure the bright tones work as well on the rest of the anthology. This type of vivid rendering justifies the neon waves from the multitude of rings, while the more subdued hues from #0 would’ve led more pragmatic results in the bits featuring Mars and the Hawk couple. Boston Brand continues to remain the invincible soul lost throughout everyone’s ostensible comeuppance. Unfortunately, his renewed manifestation this particular week is a bit too subtle. I’m hoping his role as a major player remains just that.

It’s evident I’m going to have to treat the creators of this book to a nice cup of clam chowduh and lobstuh roll in order to receive credit for us having the vilest seaport this side of Atlantic City. More apropos, the bi-monthly Brightest Day is the clear second coming of 52, and that’s akin to all the crashed-waves and seagull-chirping to my ears.

4/5 Conjoined Flame-Tossing Quibs - Another excellent issue

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

155Brightest Day - Page 7 Empty Re: Brightest Day Sun May 09, 2010 6:41 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:Brightest Day #1

Also, will be interesting to see how they juggle the stories of the 12 resurrected characters and who will get how much facetime.

Well I don't think all 12 are getting the face time here. From what I can see Max Lord will be featured in the JL series, Hawk in Birds of Prey, Boomerang in Flash (not sure if I'm right here but that's what I'm guessing), Osiris in Teen Titans, Jade in JLA/JSA although I imagine this will be the centrepiece where it's all drawn together.

And got to agree with LordD3r3k's comment that this feels like all the good stuff from 52 again.

LordD3r3k wrote:
rwe1138 wrote:
prescribeddrone wrote:#1 was great. Since when is Aquaman bulletproof though? I don't think I even acknowledged that.
IIRC, his skin is tougher in order to deal with the ocean depths.

Indeed, he has enhanced durability and strength because of adjusting to the crushing weight of the ocean depths.

Plus, I think they're making his and Mera's outfits more like chainmail armor rather than just being scaly clothes.. which I think is a great idea.
I also like that, while appearing to be bulletproof, one of the bullets did, in fact, draw blood on his forehead so I think he might be in trouble with anything too powerful.

jaydee74 wrote:
I thought his reaction to what he summoned was awesome and a tad heartbreaking. I got a strange feeling that Ronnie and Jason are stuck with each other for the foreseeable future which should prove to be fairly interesting.
I agree about Aquaman - it's quite horrific when you think about it. And as far as Firestorm goes, imagine being stuck like that with someone you don't get along with.

I was trying to pick the artists with this issue and I had trouble spotting Pat Gleason's stuff so I guess he must have been doing the Martian Manhunter bit. I'm a bit disappointed for him if he's gone from doing the full issue GLC (where I loved his work) to 5 or 6 pages a month on this.

156Brightest Day - Page 7 Empty Re: Brightest Day Sun May 09, 2010 2:09 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:

Also, will be interesting to see how they juggle the stories of the 12 resurrected characters and who will get how much facetime.

Well I don't think all 12 are getting the face time here. From what I can see Max Lord will be featured in the JL series, Hawk in Birds of Prey, Boomerang in Flash (not sure if I'm right here but that's what I'm guessing), Osiris in Teen Titans, Jade in JLA/JSA although I imagine this will be the centrepiece where it's all drawn together.

hmm Well that kinda sucks. I was actually pretty interested in seeing Osiris's journey. It really intrigued me for some reason, but not enough to pick up Teen Titans...

157Brightest Day - Page 7 Empty Re: Brightest Day Sun May 09, 2010 2:38 pm

TheeDoctorWhoHasDreads?

TheeDoctorWhoHasDreads?
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Mnemosis wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:

Im not sure, next time im at the hospital ill get an xray.

http://www.twitter.com/theekenye

158Brightest Day - Page 7 Empty Re: Brightest Day Mon May 10, 2010 1:17 am

Demonweasel

Demonweasel
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:
Aussiemandias wrote:

hmm Well that kinda sucks. I was actually pretty interested in seeing Osiris's journey. It really intrigued me for some reason, but not enough to pick up Teen Titans...

Actually, it's in the just "Titans" book, soon to be renamed "Titans: Villains for Hire."

http://www.demonweasel.com

159Brightest Day - Page 7 Empty Re: Brightest Day Mon May 10, 2010 2:08 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

TheeDoctorWhoHasDreads? wrote:
Mnemosis wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:

Im not sure, next time im at the hospital ill get an xray.
Laughing

Demonweasel wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:
Aussiemandias wrote:

Actually, it's in the just "Titans" book, soon to be renamed "Titans: Villains for Hire."

Even worse...

160Brightest Day - Page 7 Empty Re: Brightest Day Mon May 10, 2010 5:21 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:
Demonweasel wrote:

Even worse...

A group of villains led by Deathstroke? I'd say there's potential there

161Brightest Day - Page 7 Empty Re: Brightest Day Mon May 10, 2010 5:31 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LordD3r3k wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:
Demonweasel wrote:

Even worse...

A group of villains led by Deathstroke? I'd say there's potential there

Meh, just not a Titans person. Plus I looked up the writer and I've never really heard of him.

162Brightest Day - Page 7 Empty Re: Brightest Day Mon May 10, 2010 5:59 pm

Demonweasel

Demonweasel
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I think sticking with the Titans name is a mistake. That title has been a dud for years, and the should just wait to relaunch I when they have a plan for it. Make this title something else entirely.

163Brightest Day - Page 7 Empty Re: Brightest Day Wed May 12, 2010 12:31 pm

Spider_Fan14

Spider_Fan14
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Pretty good first issue. Was Black Manta always that murderous to people? Seems like they're borrowing from Batman:B&B for the latest stuff of Firestorm (Who came up with it first thought will be good to know) which I'll see if I like. I wish Osiris was in this along with Max Lord, Jade, Reverese Flash and Hawk but that'll probably be next ish or something.

164Brightest Day - Page 7 Empty Re: Brightest Day Wed May 12, 2010 12:42 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Spider_Fan14 wrote:Pretty good first issue. Was Black Manta always that murderous to people?

Oh yes. That said, I'm looking forward to Black Manta saying "Hey Aquman, how's the wife and kid?" Laughing

165Brightest Day - Page 7 Empty Re: Brightest Day Thu May 13, 2010 1:56 am

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I picked up the Titans: Villains for Hire because I like DeathStroke and Atom, sucked to see him killed but he issue was very entertaining. I wish Deadpool was this badass again.

166Brightest Day - Page 7 Empty Re: Brightest Day Thu May 13, 2010 2:10 pm

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Whoa...whoa...whoa...

back up....

They killed Ray palmer in titans?!?

They made him a huge part of blackest night for THAT?!?

and I just found out he actually killed the non white atom which is even worse in my eyes!!!

167Brightest Day - Page 7 Empty Re: Brightest Day Thu May 13, 2010 2:13 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Wait. Are you saying that Ryan Choi was killed in that Titans One Shot? Really? They killed Ryan Choi? WTF?! you're gonna get it

168Brightest Day - Page 7 Empty Re: Brightest Day Thu May 13, 2010 2:18 pm

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

apparently!

I liked him!

169Brightest Day - Page 7 Empty Re: Brightest Day Thu May 13, 2010 2:32 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Well, I guess that's one way to bump Ray Palmer as the one and only Atom. Although to be honest, when was the last time Ryan was actually used and used well?

170Brightest Day - Page 7 Empty Re: Brightest Day Thu May 13, 2010 2:50 pm

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Yeah it has been a while but jobbing him to deathstroke is kind of a slap in the face to the three of us who liked him

171Brightest Day - Page 7 Empty Re: Brightest Day Thu May 13, 2010 2:56 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I don't consider losing to Deathstroke really jobbing. It's not like they haven't written him where he's taken out the JLA or anything like that. (Wait. Yes they have lame )

172Brightest Day - Page 7 Empty Re: Brightest Day Thu May 13, 2010 3:04 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

jaydee74 wrote:Wait. Are you saying that Ryan Choi was killed in that Titans One Shot? Really? They killed Ryan Choi? WTF?! you're gonna get it
Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed in DC for that.

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

173Brightest Day - Page 7 Empty Re: Brightest Day Thu May 13, 2010 3:06 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

You know DC. I say this with the utmost amount of respect and love when I say WTF?!

174Brightest Day - Page 7 Empty Re: Brightest Day Thu May 13, 2010 3:32 pm

Demonweasel

Demonweasel
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Prediction: There will be zero Justice Leaguers dropping everything and committing to a global manhunt for Ryan Choi's killers. Not even Ray Palmer.

Just when I want to roll my eyes at people accusing DC of racial insensitivity towards their minority characters they shoot themselves in the foot by doing something senselessly sensationalistic like this.

I know they don't hate minorities and are trying to hold them down, I know that they are trying to get back to the "core aspects" of classic characters that have been underutilized in the past and I know that in comic it is very much "last hired first fired," but they should be aware by now that people have this perception of them and they shouldn't throw away a character that may have potential (especially after making a big stink about "dead being dead" now) just as a shock move to shill a book like Titans that has been directionless and flagging since issue #1. It's wasteful, shortsighted and does them no good in the long run.

Plus, you *may* want to use a spoiler tag next time.

175Brightest Day - Page 7 Empty Re: Brightest Day Thu May 13, 2010 4:15 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Demonweasel wrote:Prediction: There will be zero Justice Leaguers dropping everything and committing to a global manhunt for Ryan Choi's killers. Not even Ray Palmer.

Just when I want to roll my eyes at people accusing DC of racial insensitivity towards their minority characters they shoot themselves in the foot by doing something senselessly sensationalistic like this.

I know they don't hate minorities and are trying to hold them down, I know that they are trying to get back to the "core aspects" of classic characters that have been underutilized in the past and I know that in comic it is very much "last hired first fired," but they should be aware by now that people have this perception of them and they shouldn't throw away a character that may have potential (especially after making a big stink about "dead being dead" now) just as a shock move to shill a book like Titans that has been directionless and flagging since issue #1. It's wasteful, shortsighted and does them no good in the long run.

Plus, you *may* want to use a spoiler tag next time.

That reminds me of this article:

SPOILERS ABOUNDS!!!!! THE ARTICLE HAS SPOILERS (and a creepy picture of Ray Palmer neutral )
http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/05/06/the-racial-politics-of-regressive-storytelling/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 22]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14 ... 22  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum