Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brightest Day

+42
TheBrownLantern
DickGrayson007
dmahoney
WonderWoman2.0
elijahdprophet
TheeDoctorWhoHasDreads?
Zeroskull21
Debaser77
LordD3r3k
G_Zatara
JonSpangler
shark6495
superdoug
LOOSECANNON
Hannibal king
Spazzy
rwe1138
Spider_Fan14
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
blue halo
Tom
Foreigner_Man
Demonweasel
jaydee74
Mnemosis
Jherek
Esbat
alucardbarnivous
Rath99
Aussiemandias
shiky800
krpykrwly
comicgeekelly
Joshua
Sandman
BrodieBruce_BlaculaHunter
BlueMaxx
Batman25JM
Fresh03
prescribeddrone
Bigtymin504
shining knight
46 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15 ... 22  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 22]

176Brightest Day - Page 8 Empty Re: Brightest Day Thu May 13, 2010 4:20 pm

TheeDoctorWhoHasDreads?

TheeDoctorWhoHasDreads?
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:
Demonweasel wrote:Prediction: There will be zero Justice Leaguers dropping everything and committing to a global manhunt for Ryan Choi's killers. Not even Ray Palmer.

Just when I want to roll my eyes at people accusing DC of racial insensitivity towards their minority characters they shoot themselves in the foot by doing something senselessly sensationalistic like this.

I know they don't hate minorities and are trying to hold them down, I know that they are trying to get back to the "core aspects" of classic characters that have been underutilized in the past and I know that in comic it is very much "last hired first fired," but they should be aware by now that people have this perception of them and they shouldn't throw away a character that may have potential (especially after making a big stink about "dead being dead" now) just as a shock move to shill a book like Titans that has been directionless and flagging since issue #1. It's wasteful, shortsighted and does them no good in the long run.

Plus, you *may* want to use a spoiler tag next time.

That reminds me of this article:

SPOILERS ABOUNDS!!!!! THE ARTICLE HAS SPOILERS (and a creepy picture of Ray Palmer neutral )
http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/05/06/the-racial-politics-of-regressive-storytelling/

Doc, thus far this article is really good. Hopefully I'll finish it after work.

http://www.twitter.com/theekenye

177Brightest Day - Page 8 Empty Re: Brightest Day Thu May 13, 2010 9:31 pm

Demonweasel

Demonweasel
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I read that article last week and scoffed, a little irritated at the whole thing. I read Villains For Hire and then facepalmed. I still don't completely buy Sims thesis, as I think that minority replacements for legacy characters is a worthwhile idea, but I think they just chickened out. If they want Palmer over Choi that's fine, but there was no cause for having him end up like that.

They're trying to buy credibility for a book that has a sketchy premise at best. With everything else great that DC had this week this just came off as extra sour.

http://www.demonweasel.com

178Brightest Day - Page 8 Empty Re: Brightest Day Thu May 13, 2010 9:34 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

jaydee74 wrote:I don't consider losing to Deathstroke really jobbing. It's not like they haven't written him where he's taken out the JLA or anything like that. (Wait. Yes they have lame )

Really? Him taking down the JLA was one of the best action sequences I've ever read. I loved that comic.

179Brightest Day - Page 8 Empty Re: Brightest Day Thu May 13, 2010 9:38 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LordD3r3k wrote:
jaydee74 wrote:I don't consider losing to Deathstroke really jobbing. It's not like they haven't written him where he's taken out the JLA or anything like that. (Wait. Yes they have lame )

Really? Him taking down the JLA was one of the best action sequences I've ever read. I loved that comic.
I don't disagree that it wasn't cool. I disagree that Deathstroke who has had trouble with Teens his entire career and has been shown having trouble fighting Nightwing (he does beat him but he usually has to put some effort into it) yet he took out the entire JLA the way he did actually downplays the experience some of those characters have. The way he took down Kyle was really just insulting to the character. Don't get me wrong. I like the character and I do think he's good but NOT that good.

180Brightest Day - Page 8 Empty Re: Brightest Day Thu May 13, 2010 9:47 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

jaydee74 wrote:I don't disagree that it wasn't cool. I disagree that Deathstroke who has had trouble with Teens his entire career and has been shown having trouble fighting Nightwing (he does beat him but he usually has to put some effort into it) yet he took out the entire JLA the way he did actually downplays the experience some of those characters have. The way he took down Kyle was really just insulting to the character. Don't get me wrong. I like the character and I do think he's good but NOT that good.

Inconsistency is just an unfortunate aspect of comics. Nonetheless, Slade has all the tools to be able to take down the JLA, I don't think it's unheard of for one his plans to actually work.

181Brightest Day - Page 8 Empty Re: Brightest Day Thu May 13, 2010 9:51 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LordD3r3k wrote:
jaydee74 wrote:I don't disagree that it wasn't cool. I disagree that Deathstroke who has had trouble with Teens his entire career and has been shown having trouble fighting Nightwing (he does beat him but he usually has to put some effort into it) yet he took out the entire JLA the way he did actually downplays the experience some of those characters have. The way he took down Kyle was really just insulting to the character. Don't get me wrong. I like the character and I do think he's good but NOT that good.

Inconsistency is just an unfortunate aspect of comics. Nonetheless, Slade has all the tools to be able to take down the JLA, I don't think it's unheard of for one his plans to actually work.
No. I suppose not. I just think in that instance, he was overwritten a bit. I don't think he's a novice and maybe he could be able to do all that but I guess my problem was mostly with Kyle Rayner. After all the time they built him up to be a strong character, I feel he suffered a bit in this scene.

182Brightest Day - Page 8 Empty Re: Brightest Day Thu May 13, 2010 9:53 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

jaydee74 wrote:No. I suppose not. I just think in that instance, he was overwritten a bit. I don't think he's a novice and maybe he could be able to do all that but I guess my problem was mostly with Kyle Rayner. After all the time they built him up to be a strong character, I feel he suffered a bit in this scene.

Meh.. I thought it was an interesting/humorous new way to take down a GL. Plus, I think Kyle has proven his badassery over the last few years Wink

183Brightest Day - Page 8 Empty Re: Brightest Day Thu May 13, 2010 9:55 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LordD3r3k wrote:
jaydee74 wrote:No. I suppose not. I just think in that instance, he was overwritten a bit. I don't think he's a novice and maybe he could be able to do all that but I guess my problem was mostly with Kyle Rayner. After all the time they built him up to be a strong character, I feel he suffered a bit in this scene.

Meh.. I thought it was an interesting/humorous new way to take down a GL. Plus, I think Kyle has proven his badassery over the last few years Wink
I suppose so. I guess my point is that there is no way you could have done the same thing with someone like Hal Jordan. It wouldn't work but with Kyle? I had heard from Kyle fans that scene pissed them off.

184Brightest Day - Page 8 Empty Re: Brightest Day Thu May 13, 2010 9:57 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

jaydee74 wrote: I had heard from Kyle fans that scene pissed them off.

Rolling Eyes I suppose that probably doesn't take much

Laughing

185Brightest Day - Page 8 Empty Re: Brightest Day Thu May 13, 2010 9:59 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LordD3r3k wrote:
jaydee74 wrote: I had heard from Kyle fans that scene pissed them off.

Rolling Eyes I suppose that probably doesn't take much

Laughing

Touche. Laughing

Back to Brightest Day. How about the Firestorm conundrum?

186Brightest Day - Page 8 Empty Re: Brightest Day Thu May 13, 2010 10:17 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

jaydee74 wrote:How about the Firestorm conundrum?

Yeah could be interesting. My only worry there is that the constant "I hate you cuz you killed my girlfriend" bit might play out quickly. Hopefully they find other things to hate about each other as well Laughing

187Brightest Day - Page 8 Empty Re: Brightest Day Thu May 13, 2010 10:19 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LordD3r3k wrote:
jaydee74 wrote:How about the Firestorm conundrum?

Yeah could be interesting. My only worry there is that the constant "I hate you cuz you killed my girlfriend" bit might play out quickly. Hopefully they find other things to hate about each other as well Laughing

They are so opposite from each other that I don't think it will be a problem. For some reason this is screaming for at least a mini-series when this is all done.

188Brightest Day - Page 8 Empty Re: Brightest Day Thu May 13, 2010 10:22 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

jaydee74 wrote:They are so opposite from each other that I don't think it will be a problem. For some reason this is screaming for at least a mini-series when this is all done.

I always felt characters like Firestorm, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter and such would do better with a succession of mini-series instead of a full ongoing. I think it'd be a great way to continue progressing these types of characters without the strain of trying to maintain a monthly comic.

189Brightest Day - Page 8 Empty Re: Brightest Day Thu May 13, 2010 10:28 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LordD3r3k wrote:
jaydee74 wrote:They are so opposite from each other that I don't think it will be a problem. For some reason this is screaming for at least a mini-series when this is all done.

I always felt characters like Firestorm, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter and such would do better with a succession of mini-series instead of a full ongoing. I think it'd be a great way to continue progressing these types of characters without the strain of trying to maintain a monthly comic.
Agreed.

190Brightest Day - Page 8 Empty Re: Brightest Day Fri May 14, 2010 8:28 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Something I just noticed looking over stuff. I'm surprised I didn't see this earlier:

The pathways that the Indigo Tribe walk on on their homeworld:
Brightest Day - Page 8 Indigo10

Spoiler:

Hurm....

191Brightest Day - Page 8 Empty Re: Brightest Day Fri May 14, 2010 9:46 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:Hurm....

Brightest Day - Page 8 Snowtrooper949bf489145816

192Brightest Day - Page 8 Empty Re: Brightest Day Fri May 14, 2010 9:48 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:That reminds me of this article:

SPOILERS ABOUNDS!!!!! THE ARTICLE HAS SPOILERS (and a creepy picture of Ray Palmer neutral )
http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/05/06/the-racial-politics-of-regressive-storytelling/

Johns and his "White Power" Battery. shake my head

193Brightest Day - Page 8 Empty Re: Brightest Day Fri May 14, 2010 9:53 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:Johns and his "White Power" Battery. shake my head

AND it gave life to the entire universe! He's probably wearing his white pointy hood as he writes!

Laughing

This reminds of that scene in 'Boomerang' when Eddie Murphy and Martin Lawerence are playing pool.

"Look, the table is green, like the earth. And the white ball has more power than all the other balls. But that's not good enough. The white ball then knocks all the other colored balls off the table, until all that's left is the black. The game is racist!"

194Brightest Day - Page 8 Empty Re: Brightest Day Fri May 14, 2010 9:59 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LordD3r3k wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:Johns and his "White Power" Battery. shake my head

AND it gave life to the entire universe! He's probably wearing his white pointy hood as he writes!

Laughing

This reminds of that scene in 'Boomerang' when Eddie Murphy and Martin Lawerence are playing pool.

"Look, the table is green, like the earth. And the white ball has more power than all the other balls. But that's not good enough. The white ball then knocks all the other colored balls off the table, until all that's left is the black. The game is racist!"

Laughing Laughing

For some reason this reminded me that I recently found out that Johns is 50% Arabic, Lebanese to be exact. He said it on his Twitter page, apparently immigration changed his dad's name from Marieb to Johns. Geoff Marieb. Laughing

195Brightest Day - Page 8 Empty Re: Brightest Day Fri May 14, 2010 10:31 pm

Spider_Fan14

Spider_Fan14
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:That reminds me of this article:

So true, so true.

196Brightest Day - Page 8 Empty Re: Brightest Day Sat May 15, 2010 12:14 am

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Spider_Fan14 wrote:So true, so true.

It's really not though. These characters aren't being pushed back because they're ethnic, they're being pushed back because they're trying to become something they're not.

If these characters were simply made with their own story and identity, they'd have a far better chance at success than trying to replace an icon. The role they're cast in is what dooms them, not their skin color.

Make a compelling ethnic character with their own story and there's no reason it shouldn't succeed.

Make a compelling ethnic character that's shoe-horned into the role of an established icon and it's already facing the challenge of living up to unfair expectations.

This nonsense that the characters are being subconsciously weeded out because they're ethnic is just that, nonsense.

197Brightest Day - Page 8 Empty Re: Brightest Day Sat May 15, 2010 12:20 am

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LordD3r3k wrote:

It's really not though. These characters aren't being pushed back because they're ethnic, they're being pushed back because they're trying to become something they're not.

If these characters were simply made with their own story and identity, they'd have a far better chance at success than trying to replace an icon. The role they're cast in is what dooms them, not their skin color.

Make a compelling ethnic character with their own story and there's no reason it shouldn't succeed.

Make a compelling ethnic character that's shoe-horned into the role of an established icon and it's already facing the challenge of living up to unfair expectations.

This nonsense that the characters are being subconsciously weeded out because they're ethnic is just that, nonsense.

I don't think the article is blaming some form of subconscious racism for this but rather a desire to bring back characters from the Silver Age who coincidently turn out to be white. I do think, however, claims of racism are more being leveled at some fans or people who only see race. This is true for some people but not all.

198Brightest Day - Page 8 Empty Re: Brightest Day Sat May 15, 2010 12:28 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LordD3r3k wrote:

Well said. This has more to do with DC kinda overdoing the whole "legacy" thing than anything racial. In the end, the tendency will always be to go back to the original/classic/most popular version of a "legacy" character anyway, which DC has done a lot lately. And the vast majority of the time these characters just happen to be white, because they were created at a time when almost all comic characters were.

199Brightest Day - Page 8 Empty Re: Brightest Day Sat May 15, 2010 12:29 am

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:I don't think the article is blaming some form of subconscious racism for this but rather a desire to bring back characters from the Silver Age who coincidently turn out to be white. I do think, however, claims of racism are more being leveled at some fans or people who only see race. This is true for some people but not all.

I can understand the point about the fans. But as far as creators having some latent racial agenda, I don't buy that at all.

Think of it this way, the only reason Dick-bat and Bucky Cap work is because they have a long time connection with the original icons. But still, they'll never be truly accepted in those roles. There's always going to be that thought that "while this is cool, they're not the real deal.

Now try replacing that icon with someone that has absolutely NO connection to the icon, and just figures they'll put on the suit because they want to play hero. It's just never going to fly unless it's a rare case where powers are granted through an object of sorts. And even then, it's still a struggle because of previously established expectations.

Again, I'm all for diversity in comics, but at least make them truly original characters that have a fair chance to grow.

Last edited by LordD3r3k on Sat May 15, 2010 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total

200Brightest Day - Page 8 Empty Re: Brightest Day Sat May 15, 2010 12:30 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:
LordD3r3k wrote:

I don't think the article is blaming some form of subconscious racism for this but rather a desire to bring back characters from the Silver Age who coincidently turn out to be white. I do think, however, claims of racism are more being leveled at some fans or people who only see race. This is true for some people but not all.

Yeah, I agree with the part about giving non-white characters stereotypically racial powers. That happens ALL the time in comics, and it's rather annoying. dry

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 22]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15 ... 22  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum