Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brightest Day

+42
TheBrownLantern
DickGrayson007
dmahoney
WonderWoman2.0
elijahdprophet
TheeDoctorWhoHasDreads?
Zeroskull21
Debaser77
LordD3r3k
G_Zatara
JonSpangler
shark6495
superdoug
LOOSECANNON
Hannibal king
Spazzy
rwe1138
Spider_Fan14
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
blue halo
Tom
Foreigner_Man
Demonweasel
jaydee74
Mnemosis
Jherek
Esbat
alucardbarnivous
Rath99
Aussiemandias
shiky800
krpykrwly
comicgeekelly
Joshua
Sandman
BrodieBruce_BlaculaHunter
BlueMaxx
Batman25JM
Fresh03
prescribeddrone
Bigtymin504
shining knight
46 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16 ... 22  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 22]

226Brightest Day - Page 10 Empty Re: Brightest Day Sun May 16, 2010 6:47 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

TheeDoctorWhoHasDreads? wrote:How was Cage forced, he never really had his own book since being written back into continuity? If anything Marvel showed how you ease a character back into story.

Bendis pimped out Cage in every opportunity he could. There was no reason for him to be part of Secret War, but he was because Bendis wanted to revive him. Again, people enjoyed what they read so it seemed natural to bring him back, but his importance was shoe-horned in from the start.

Rath99 wrote:
Maybe that's DC's problem. They keep trying to pass the mantle of their old characters instead of creating new ones to develop.

Perhaps. But maybe that's what they're trying to do now? Restore the mantle's so new characters can be new characters? I guess we'll see..

So anyway, how 'bout that Brightest Day eh?

227Brightest Day - Page 10 Empty Re: Brightest Day Sun May 16, 2010 6:58 pm

TheeDoctorWhoHasDreads?

TheeDoctorWhoHasDreads?
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

LordD3r3k wrote:
TheeDoctorWhoHasDreads? wrote:How was Cage forced, he never really had his own book since being written back into continuity? If anything Marvel showed how you ease a character back into story.

Bendis pimped out Cage in every opportunity he could. There was no reason for him to be part of Secret War, but he was because Bendis wanted to revive him. Again, people enjoyed what they read so it seemed natural to bring him back, but his importance was shoe-horned in from the start.

Rath99 wrote:
Maybe that's DC's problem. They keep trying to pass the mantle of their old characters instead of creating new ones to develop.

Perhaps. But maybe that's what they're trying to do now? Restore the mantle's so new characters can be new characters? I guess we'll see..

I disagree with o you n the Luke Cage being shoe horned in Secret War. But yea Brightest Day. Good stuff.

http://www.twitter.com/theekenye

228Brightest Day - Page 10 Empty Re: Brightest Day Sun May 16, 2010 7:01 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

So what do we think Deadman's role is supposed to be? Obviously he's in the story to bear witness to something. Maybe he's the key to stopping Max Lord, since no one remembers him anymore? Any ideas?

229Brightest Day - Page 10 Empty Re: Brightest Day Mon May 17, 2010 12:51 pm

Spider_Fan14

Spider_Fan14
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LordD3r3k wrote:So what do we think Deadman's role is supposed to be? Obviously he's in the story to bear witness to something. Maybe he's the key to stopping Max Lord, since no one remembers him anymore? Any ideas?
Guy Gardner remembered him in BN#8.

230Brightest Day - Page 10 Empty Re: Brightest Day Mon May 17, 2010 2:24 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Spider_Fan14 wrote:
LordD3r3k wrote:So what do we think Deadman's role is supposed to be? Obviously he's in the story to bear witness to something. Maybe he's the key to stopping Max Lord, since no one remembers him anymore? Any ideas?

That was before Max used his powers (after augmenting them) to make everyone forget who his was. Now the only people who remember him are Booster Gold, Captain Atom, Fir, and Ice.

231Brightest Day - Page 10 Empty Re: Brightest Day Mon May 17, 2010 3:06 pm

Spider_Fan14

Spider_Fan14
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:
Spider_Fan14 wrote:

That was before Max used his powers (after augmenting them) to make everyone forget who his was. Now the only people who remember him are Booster Gold, Captain Atom, Fir, and Ice.
When'd he do that? Was that in JL Generation Lost?

232Brightest Day - Page 10 Empty Re: Brightest Day Mon May 17, 2010 4:34 pm

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:
Spider_Fan14 wrote:

Actually, to be fair, Max only made everyone on Earth forget who he was. All he did to Guy was to make him let him go after Blackest Night. Since Guy isn't on Earth, I think it would be fair to say that he probably remembers Max, and we'll see some fall out from that in Generation Lost.

233Brightest Day - Page 10 Empty Re: Brightest Day Mon May 17, 2010 5:38 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LordD3r3k wrote:

Cage was barely in Secret War. There are so many reasons why he was the perfect character for this and it made more sense for Cage to be used as opposed to some other strong person. His personal connection to the others involved setes the ball rolling on the event and allows the story to progress much faster than had it been a random assortment of characters from various aspects of the Marvel U. Being street level characters, the concept of expendability comes into play (why Nova or someone high-powered would not work) as does the classic clash of government/espionage style agencies vs. superheroes. The nature of the weapons involved made many of the street level heroes perfect since they have dealt with such devices before and thus had more experience. There are many more reasons why, but it would involve truly breaking down Secret War, something that is for another time and place.

I don't think Luke has been forced on. The manner in which he was re-introduced and utlized has been and should be a textbook case on how to introduce a character. He was shown here and there sporadically. The appearances become more and more due to the intrusion of high-end events (skrulls and cosmic situations) into the confines of the normal joe. In short, Luke's involvement in the Avengers (which has been the real extent of his push (in Daredevil and in Alias, his inclusion stems from street level characters coming in contact with him which would make sense) speaks to the concept of the normal guy thrust into a world beyond him unwillingly because the situation has been thrust upon him. In short, for Luke Cage not to be a presence, he would have to have been dead, lost in some mystic city, or in space. Also, considering that Captain America was more or less in need of people for Avengers initially (he did ask Daredevil), his inclusion thus far has made sense.

In the end, any character can be considered "forced", but this is only truly the case when massive retcons across multiple areas of a given universe are changed or when long established characters are killed off to make room for the new character when both could have easily co-existed and when all of this is done against the general opinion of most comic fans and commen sense. Well, at least in imo.

LordD3r3k wrote:
Rath99 wrote:

Except if this were a Captain America thread, people would say there is nothing wrong with passing the mantle. The same could be said of people who were fans of Dick Grayson as Batman, fans of Kyle Raynor, fans of Wally West, and so forth.

In any case, Brightest Day. Laughing

I'm curious about what will go down Martian Manhunter. I'm also wondering, since the last big event was Green Lantern related, if the next one will be Flash-related. I'm thinking that Deadman will help all the others involved in Brightest Day (the resurrected) but will not be able to help Zolomon, which will lead to Flashpoint, an event that seems linked to Zolomon and time traveling.

234Brightest Day - Page 10 Empty Re: Brightest Day Mon May 17, 2010 8:14 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:I'm curious about what will go down Martian Manhunter.

Me too. I hope they do something crazy with Mars. I really like the idea of taking our real world things and toying with them.

235Brightest Day - Page 10 Empty Re: Brightest Day Mon May 17, 2010 8:28 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Very astute analysis all around, Wade.

LordD3r3k wrote:
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:I'm curious about what will go down Martian Manhunter.

Me too. I hope they do something crazy with Mars. I really like the idea of taking our real world things and toying with them.

Ditto. I love the idea of J'onn trying to tereform Mars. It's an idea that scientists have theorized about for years and something that always fascinated me. It'll be really interesting if he succeeds and Mars is flourishing with life again like Earth by the time this series ends.

236Brightest Day - Page 10 Empty Re: Brightest Day Mon May 17, 2010 8:47 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:In the end, any character can be considered "forced", but this is only truly the case when massive retcons across multiple areas of a given universe are changed or when long established characters are killed off to make room for the new character when both could have easily co-existed and when all of this is done against the general opinion of most comic fans and commen sense. Well, at least in imo.

I don't think being forced is defined by massive retcons, though that certainly does play a huge role in feeling forced in some occasions.

I equate it to wrestling. When the company thinks they're ready, wrestlers will get a pretty big "push" into the spotlight. Showing up more often, dabbling in more prestige fights, and ultimately getting the "make it or break it" moment to win the crowd. If it goes well, the feeling of being forced is disregarded because they like what they see. But if it bombs, then the masses will cry foul and wonder why this schmuck is being forced down our throats in the first place.

Luke won the crowd. Laughing

237Brightest Day - Page 10 Empty Re: Brightest Day Mon May 17, 2010 9:36 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LordD3r3k wrote:
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:In the end, any character can be considered "forced", but this is only truly the case when massive retcons across multiple areas of a given universe are changed or when long established characters are killed off to make room for the new character when both could have easily co-existed and when all of this is done against the general opinion of most comic fans and commen sense. Well, at least in imo.

I don't think being forced is defined by massive retcons, though that certainly does play a huge role in feeling forced in some occasions.

I equate it to wrestling. When the company thinks they're ready, wrestlers will get a pretty big "push" into the spotlight. Showing up more often, dabbling in more prestige fights, and ultimately getting the "make it or break it" moment to win the crowd. If it goes well, the feeling of being forced is disregarded because they like what they see. But if it bombs, then the masses will cry foul and wonder why this schmuck is being forced down our throats in the first place.

Luke won the crowd. Laughing

Fair enough. I don't think he was any more "forced" than any other new or re-introduced character (Nova, Quasar, Iron Fist) but it does boil down to presentation and reader feeling afterwards.

Bigtymin504 wrote:Very astute analysis all around, Wade.

LordD3r3k wrote:

Ditto. I love the idea of J'onn trying to tereform Mars. It's an idea that scientists have theorized about for years and something that always fascinated me. It'll be really interesting if he succeeds and Mars is flourishing with life again like Earth by the time this series ends.

Same here. It would be cool to see what he comes up with, such as an energy source and would be interestig to see more of Mars history. This allows for another setting for stories as well, as we saw with War of the Supermen.

Furthermore, I'd love to see them do something similar with Aquaman under the waves. It would be cool to see vast nations and cities similar to those on land under the ocean. There's enough room, the technology and means are there. It would be cool to see them utilize geothermal means for energy and all that.

238Brightest Day - Page 10 Empty Re: Brightest Day Mon May 17, 2010 9:43 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:Fair enough. I don't think he was any more "forced" than any other new character but it does boil down to presentation and reader feeling afterwards.

I never said he was more forced than others, but it still happened. Just like Barry Allen is being forced now. But like you said, how much we feel it will depend on how entertained we are.

Furthermore, I'd love to see them do something similar with Aquaman under the waves. It would be cool to see vast nations and cities similar to those on land under the ocean. There's enough room, the technology and means are there. It would be cool to see them utilize geothermal means for energy and all that.

I'd be interested to see some other underwater nations. They could be like lost tribes that splinter away from Atlantis centuries ago. Could lead to good things

239Brightest Day - Page 10 Empty Re: Brightest Day Mon May 17, 2010 9:45 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LordD3r3k wrote:
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:Furthermore, I'd love to see them do something similar with Aquaman under the waves. It would be cool to see vast nations and cities similar to those on land under the ocean. There's enough room, the technology and means are there. It would be cool to see them utilize geothermal means for energy and all that.

I'd be interested to see some other underwater nations. They could be like lost tribes that splinter away from Atlantis centuries ago. Could lead to good things

Agreed with you both. Hickman is doing something similar with Atlantis in Fantastic Four, it has some great story potential.

240Brightest Day - Page 10 Empty Re: Brightest Day Mon May 17, 2010 10:21 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:
LordD3r3k wrote:
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:Furthermore, I'd love to see them do something similar with Aquaman under the waves. It would be cool to see vast nations and cities similar to those on land under the ocean. There's enough room, the technology and means are there. It would be cool to see them utilize geothermal means for energy and all that.

Agreed with you both. Hickman is doing something similar with Atlantis in Fantastic Four, it has some great story potential.

Indeed, indeed. Not only that, it be cool if there was some variety among the underwater tribes/cities. It always seems, in general--regardless of comics or tv, underwater communities are presented as all being seemingly primitive or being very advanced. A mix of both would be cool. That said, I wonder why none of them have stargates or portals that lead to other worlds. Spaceships even. In short, underwater communties are like alien civilizations. Sky's the limit with them, so it would be nice to see imaginations run wild with them. As for Hickman, it sounds really good. Part of me wants to wait and read it all at once so I can make sense of everything. Laughing

241Brightest Day - Page 10 Empty Re: Brightest Day Wed May 19, 2010 12:37 am

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Spider_Fan14 wrote:
Batman25JM wrote:
Spider_Fan14 wrote:

Yeah, it was in the first issue of Generation Lost.

superdoug wrote:
Batman25JM wrote:
Spider_Fan14 wrote:

Actually, to be fair, Max only made everyone on Earth forget who he was. All he did to Guy was to make him let him go after Blackest Night. Since Guy isn't on Earth, I think it would be fair to say that he probably remembers Max, and we'll see some fall out from that in Generation Lost.

Was it ever said that he only made the people on Earth forget? I mean, I know it's a major stretch to think his powers could reach all over the galaxy, but it seems worthless to make just the people on Earth forget when there are people off world that would remember him.

I also wonder about the information about him. There had to be extensive files on him, especially in the Bat computer. What happened to them?

242Brightest Day - Page 10 Empty Re: Brightest Day Wed May 19, 2010 2:46 pm

elijahdprophet

elijahdprophet
PoP! Brewmaster
PoP! Brewmaster

Batman25JM wrote:
Spider_Fan14 wrote:
Batman25JM wrote:
Spider_Fan14 wrote:

Yeah, it was in the first issue of Generation Lost.

superdoug wrote:
Batman25JM wrote:
Spider_Fan14 wrote:

Was it ever said that he only made the people on Earth forget? I mean, I know it's a major stretch to think his powers could reach all over the galaxy, but it seems worthless to make just the people on Earth forget when there are people off world that would remember him.

I also wonder about the information about him. There had to be extensive files on him, especially in the Bat computer. What happened to them?

It seems like he knocked out the world for a couple of hours, I wonder how many planes crashed and whatnot, it was cool when I read it but it seems like more of a stretch when you think about it. Ignoring the disasters that this would cause, I imagine a guy like Max could do a lot of damage to digital records with a couple of free hours.

243Brightest Day - Page 10 Empty Re: Brightest Day Wed May 19, 2010 7:18 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

Brightest Day #2 was okay. The cliffhanger was pretty sweet. Poor Boston. Laughing

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

244Brightest Day - Page 10 Empty Re: Brightest Day Wed May 19, 2010 9:27 pm

Foreigner_Man

Foreigner_Man
Ninja
Ninja

Hey, does Martian Manhunter still have fire as his weakness? Coz I recall Joe Kelly doing a great story involving J'onn overcoming fire and it seems like it was never touched on since.

245Brightest Day - Page 10 Empty Re: Brightest Day Wed May 19, 2010 9:52 pm

DickGrayson007

DickGrayson007
Pirate
Pirate

^He became Fernus and kicked everyones ass his weakness had to be restored.

246Brightest Day - Page 10 Empty Re: Brightest Day Thu May 20, 2010 7:30 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

BD #2

Since my Avengers review got washed away by the poisons of Windows Internet Explorer (sure I know about Firefox, don't tempt me), I'm no longer in any mood to do reviews I'm not required this week.

And Brightest Day #2 didn't keep up with its highest quality either.

Aquaman's on the cover and...one other panel. The Firestorm(s) continue to argue with one another with a solid appearance by The Atom. The Hawks continue their vengeance. And Martian Manhunter's origin coincides with his recent rebirth. That section of the anthology proves best. I feel almost too giving with this score but the art--despite how many different pencilers and inkers working on tbe book--remain top notch. Patrick Gleason saves the day.

3.5/5 Bags&Boards - Worthy

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

247Brightest Day - Page 10 Empty Re: Brightest Day Thu May 20, 2010 10:44 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I thought this was another great issue. The stuff with Firestorm was great, Martian Manhunter's piece was intriguing, and overall I think the seeds are being planted nicely. I think we'll see some great things by the end of this.

4/5 angsty Firestorm matrices

248Brightest Day - Page 10 Empty Re: Brightest Day Fri May 21, 2010 12:33 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven

#2 was okay. I'm still not completely on board, as some of these subplots still don't interest me much. I am looking forward to the Boston Brand / Anti-Monitor showdown in two weeks, though.

249Brightest Day - Page 10 Empty Re: Brightest Day Sat May 22, 2010 10:53 am

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

A kid gets beaten to death by a rock band guitar...

Brightest day my arse....

250Brightest Day - Page 10 Empty Re: Brightest Day Sat May 22, 2010 11:00 am

G_Zatara

G_Zatara
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

It's kind of boring me.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 22]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16 ... 22  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum