Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brightest Day

+42
TheBrownLantern
DickGrayson007
dmahoney
WonderWoman2.0
elijahdprophet
TheeDoctorWhoHasDreads?
Zeroskull21
Debaser77
LordD3r3k
G_Zatara
JonSpangler
shark6495
superdoug
LOOSECANNON
Hannibal king
Spazzy
rwe1138
Spider_Fan14
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
blue halo
Tom
Foreigner_Man
Demonweasel
jaydee74
Mnemosis
Jherek
Esbat
alucardbarnivous
Rath99
Aussiemandias
shiky800
krpykrwly
comicgeekelly
Joshua
Sandman
BrodieBruce_BlaculaHunter
BlueMaxx
Batman25JM
Fresh03
prescribeddrone
Bigtymin504
shining knight
46 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 22  Next

Go down  Message [Page 16 of 22]

376Brightest Day - Page 16 Empty Re: Brightest Day Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:27 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

#9 was okay. I hope Black Manta's son doesn't turn out to be Jackson/new Aqualad because that's really predictable. And the bits with that other Martian in the grocery store was just odd. Not scary, just surreal and weird.

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

377Brightest Day - Page 16 Empty Re: Brightest Day Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:52 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

rwe1138 wrote:#9 was okay. I hope Black Manta's son doesn't turn out to be Jackson/new Aqualad because that's really predictable. And the bits with that other Martian in the grocery store was just odd. Not scary, just surreal and weird.

I think Jackson/Aqualad's father was already revealed to be Black Manta. What's more:

Spoiler:

378Brightest Day - Page 16 Empty Re: Brightest Day Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:43 am

Demonweasel

Demonweasel
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Yeah, the info for the Young Justice TV show already spoiled this about two or three weeks ago. As soon as they mentioned keeping Black Manta away from this kid I was like "Oh for fucks sake DC, can there be more than 4 black families in the DCU. This is why people are upset."

http://www.demonweasel.com

379Brightest Day - Page 16 Empty Re: Brightest Day Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:08 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I think it could be interesting having Aqualad being Black Manta's kid considering that Black Manta did kill Aquaman's kid. I'm curious to see how this kid will evolve as a character and I liked seeing him with this adopted dad even for a short time. It kind of reminded me of Clark and Jonathan Kent from Smallville. Although, during the whole "Sub-Diego" story, wasn't there a girl that was Aquaman's sidekick?

Ah:
Lorena Marquez is on a date at the San Diego Zoo when an earthquake shakes San Diego and causes it to sink deep into the sea, killing thousands — including Lorena's entire family. She comes into contact with Aquaman, who nurses her back to health as she discovers that she has developed the ability to breathe underwater like an Atlantean. The two manage to locate the other survivors of the quake, as well as Anton Geist, the scientist responsible for the catastrophe. Lorena and Aquaman have no choice but to begin rebuilding the city as "Sub Diego." When Ocean Master switches lives with Aquaman, Lorena assumes the identity of Aquagirl, adopting an aquatic costume. After Aquaman exposes Ocean Master's scheme, Lorena keeps her Aquagirl costume and identity, and the two carry on protecting Sub Diego.
In the Titans Tomorrow timeline, Lorena is Aquawoman, a member of the Titans. It is revealed that she has developed telepathic powers which she had used to kill (or paralyze) former Titan member Garth.
Aquagirl is also a member of the Teen Titans during the events of 52. She assists Steel in launching an attack on Lexcorp when Natasha Irons is captured by Lex Luthor.
What the hell happened to her?

380Brightest Day - Page 16 Empty Re: Brightest Day Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:47 pm

Demonweasel

Demonweasel
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

jaydee74 wrote:I think it could be interesting having Aqualad being Black Manta's kid considering that Black Manta did kill Aquaman's kid. I'm curious to see how this kid will evolve as a character and I liked seeing him with this adopted dad even for a short time. It kind of reminded me of Clark and Jonathan Kent from Smallville. Although, during the whole "Sub-Diego" story, wasn't there a girl that was Aquaman's sidekick?

Ah:
Lorena Marquez is on a date at the San Diego Zoo when an earthquake shakes San Diego and causes it to sink deep into the sea, killing thousands — including Lorena's entire family. She comes into contact with Aquaman, who nurses her back to health as she discovers that she has developed the ability to breathe underwater like an Atlantean. The two manage to locate the other survivors of the quake, as well as Anton Geist, the scientist responsible for the catastrophe. Lorena and Aquaman have no choice but to begin rebuilding the city as "Sub Diego." When Ocean Master switches lives with Aquaman, Lorena assumes the identity of Aquagirl, adopting an aquatic costume. After Aquaman exposes Ocean Master's scheme, Lorena keeps her Aquagirl costume and identity, and the two carry on protecting Sub Diego.
In the Titans Tomorrow timeline, Lorena is Aquawoman, a member of the Titans. It is revealed that she has developed telepathic powers which she had used to kill (or paralyze) former Titan member Garth.
Aquagirl is also a member of the Teen Titans during the events of 52. She assists Steel in launching an attack on Lexcorp when Natasha Irons is captured by Lex Luthor.
What the hell happened to her?

She's in the Teen Titans. But not for much longer.

381Brightest Day - Page 16 Empty Re: Brightest Day Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:59 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ah. I don't even remember when I stopped paying attention to that book.

382Brightest Day - Page 16 Empty Re: Brightest Day Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:19 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

jaydee74 wrote:
rwe1138 wrote:#9 was okay. I hope Black Manta's son doesn't turn out to be Jackson/new Aqualad because that's really predictable. And the bits with that other Martian in the grocery store was just odd. Not scary, just surreal and weird.

I think Jackson/Aqualad's father was already revealed to be Black Manta. What's more:

Spoiler:

I don't think that's any mystery. I think with this issue and previous info given it's pretty clear Mera's sister and Black Manta are the parents of Jackson. I do like the parallels with Superman - will be interesting to learn more about the background to this story.

I thought issue #9 was quite good. I think they're really starting to get the balance right with the stories now and not try to squeeze too much into each issue.

I'm enjoying the storylines of all the characters in this issue although Deadman is probably still the one I'm most interested in. I'm kind of hoping the white ring bearer-to-be turns out to actually be Deadman himself. Perhaps his journey through all this is what is required to have him realise that he is the "hero" that they're looking for. Just an idea. Could be also that it's Dove and the gag is that she's been right next to him the whole time.

That forest in Star City really is quite intriguing. Interesting to see where that's all heading.

I thought all the artists were great this issue but, in particular, Ivan Reis's work was terrific. And I really liked Finch's cover this issue.

383Brightest Day - Page 16 Empty Re: Brightest Day Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:06 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

rwe1138 wrote:#9 was okay. I hope Black Manta's son doesn't turn out to be Jackson/new Aqualad because that's really predictable.

Maybe so, but it raises some interesting questions:

Why did Manta give up the kid?

How did he wind up with those people?

Why are they afraid of the boy using his powers? Does it somehow attract people like him?

Will Aquaman accept him as a sidekick being Manta's son? Or will he take the name Aqualad in defiance of Arthur?

They have my curiosity piqued..

384Brightest Day - Page 16 Empty Re: Brightest Day Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:09 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Demonweasel wrote:As soon as they mentioned keeping Black Manta away from this kid I was like "Oh for fucks sake DC, can there be more than 4 black families in the DCU. This is why people are upset."

But DC has always been a company based on legacies. It's something you either enjoy about them or not. So making him Manta's kid instead of just some random black fellow gives the opportunity to expand on their characters' mytho's.

As long as the story turns out well, I don't see the issue.

385Brightest Day - Page 16 Empty Re: Brightest Day Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:10 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:
I thought issue #9 was quite good.

I thought all the artists were great this issue but, in particular, Ivan Reis's work was terrific. And I really liked Finch's cover this issue.

Yes to all Smile

386Brightest Day - Page 16 Empty Re: Brightest Day Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:02 pm

Demonweasel

Demonweasel
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LordD3r3k wrote:
Demonweasel wrote:As soon as they mentioned keeping Black Manta away from this kid I was like "Oh for fucks sake DC, can there be more than 4 black families in the DCU. This is why people are upset."

But DC has always been a company based on legacies. It's something you either enjoy about them or not. So making him Manta's kid instead of just some random black fellow gives the opportunity to expand on their characters' mytho's.

As long as the story turns out well, I don't see the issue.

Yeah, few of those legacies are actually built on people being related to each other (or their arch enemies). Time Drake wasn't Two-Face's cousin, Guy Gardner wasn't Sinestro's kid and Wonder Girl isn't Wonder Woman's daughter. Having a new Black character be related to one of the few other Black characters in the DCU plays into the stereotype of "all black people know each other." If there's one thing DC should be careful with their track record is to not play to stereotypes.

Plus, and most egregious, it's pretty obvious storytelling. I'd like it if they played the "He's his kid" angle and then threw a curveball, but clearly that's not going to happen. And yeah, ,more than anything else that last bit is the most important.

387Brightest Day - Page 16 Empty Re: Brightest Day Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:21 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Brightest Day #9

I liked this quite a bit.

I liked Aquaman before, but this book is making me a bigger fan (of him and his supporting characters and enemies). I know he was barely in this issue, but still. I want a new ongoing Aquaman book when Brightest Day is over.

I really hope that it turns out that Deadman is indeed the one to be the White Lantern.

Last edited by Batman25JM on Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

388Brightest Day - Page 16 Empty Re: Brightest Day Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:16 am

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:Brightest Day #9
I really hope that it turns out that Deadman is indeed the on to be the White Lantern.

I think that would be cool but at the same time it would be kind of cool if his mission is simply to find the person to be the White Lantern. It would be cool if after Deadman does that, he can finally be at peace. It could be a nice bookend to the character.

389Brightest Day - Page 16 Empty Re: Brightest Day Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:15 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

jaydee74 wrote:
Batman25JM wrote:Brightest Day #9
I really hope that it turns out that Deadman is indeed the on to be the White Lantern.

I think that would be cool but at the same time it would be kind of cool if his mission is simply to find the person to be the White Lantern. It would be cool if after Deadman does that, he can finally be at peace. It could be a nice bookend to the character.

Yeah, I'd be fine with that. It's just that I really like what is going on with him right now. Honestly, I've never really cared much for the character, but now, with Brightest Day, I really like him. I think that it'd be cool to have him have to go through the journey to find the White Lantern candidate and it turns out where he had to go through that journey to become the one to be the WL.

390Brightest Day - Page 16 Empty Re: Brightest Day Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:06 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Now that would be kind of cool. I would like to see that.

391Brightest Day - Page 16 Empty Re: Brightest Day Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:36 am

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Demonweasel wrote:Having a new Black character be related to one of the few other Black characters in the DCU plays into the stereotype of "all black people know each other." If there's one thing DC should be careful with their track record is to not play to stereotypes.

Laughing Really? This is the big problem here? My god people pick this shit apart way too much.

392Brightest Day - Page 16 Empty Re: Brightest Day Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:36 am

Arsenal0602

Arsenal0602
Cadet
Cadet

LordD3r3k wrote:
Demonweasel wrote:Having a new Black character be related to one of the few other Black characters in the DCU plays into the stereotype of "all black people know each other." If there's one thing DC should be careful with their track record is to not play to stereotypes.

Laughing Really? This is the big problem here? My god people pick this shit apart way too much.

Being Black Mantas kid gives the character depth, that's why I don't mind who the new Aqua Lads parents are. Sure it's a little cheap to give him a cookie cutter background, and we all know the arc where he almost become evil, but doesn't has already been written for Teen Titans (I think they are just going to copy paste him over Conner's freak out a few years ago). But overall I think the child of your greatest villain being your ally is a common theme going on lately, I mean there is Dart Allen (Is a descendant of Zoom and Flash) Superboy (Lex and Superman) and Soranik Natu (Sinestro's daughter). Seems to be going on a lot.

393Brightest Day - Page 16 Empty Re: Brightest Day Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:09 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Arsenal0602 wrote:
LordD3r3k wrote:

Being Black Mantas kid gives the character depth, that's why I don't mind who the new Aqua Lads parents are. Sure it's a little cheap to give him a cookie cutter background, and we all know the arc where he almost become evil, but doesn't has already been written for Teen Titans (I think they are just going to copy paste him over Conner's freak out a few years ago). But overall I think the child of your greatest villain being your ally is a common theme going on lately, I mean there is Dart Allen (Is a descendant of Zoom and Flash) Superboy (Lex and Superman) and Soranik Natu (Sinestro's daughter). Seems to be going on a lot.

Not just that. If the genesis of the story is that Black Manta and Mera's sister (as it looks at the moment) have had a kid at some stage and that's the purpose of the story (ie. to create tension and storylines, etc out of that scenario) then isn't the boy's race just a natural progression out of that? Doesn't seem forced or fake to me.

394Brightest Day - Page 16 Empty Re: Brightest Day Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:39 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

#10 was meh. Not even a one panel appearance of Deadman? Boo-urns.

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

395Brightest Day - Page 16 Empty Re: Brightest Day Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:13 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I liked this issue quite a bit. I'm very curious about the whole Firestorm story and what's going on with Jason and Ronnie. I also liked the reveal at the end of the book. The Aquaman stuff is kicking some butt and the confrontation was awesome. You could see the tension in those panels with Black Manta and Aquaman. I loved it.

396Brightest Day - Page 16 Empty Re: Brightest Day Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:18 pm

Mr. Slade

Mr. Slade
Cadet
Cadet

Being an Aquaman fan I thought it was a pretty sweet issue. Loved the Manta/Aquaman stare down.

397Brightest Day - Page 16 Empty Re: Brightest Day Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:10 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Mr. Slade wrote:Being an Aquaman fan I thought it was a pretty sweet issue. Loved the Manta/Aquaman stare down.
That was the best part of the entire issue and it's saying something because I thought the issue was fantastic.

398Brightest Day - Page 16 Empty Re: Brightest Day Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:25 am

Debaser77

Debaser77
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven

Review of #10 is up on the main site, continuing my streak of reviewing books that start with the letter "B."

http://panelsonpages.com/?p=28295

399Brightest Day - Page 16 Empty Re: Brightest Day Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:33 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Issue ten wasn't the best, but it had some pretty cool moments.

400Brightest Day - Page 16 Empty Re: Brightest Day Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:38 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Brightest Day #10

I enjoyed this quite a bit. The Firestorm stuff is quite interesting.

I just LOVE the Aquaman stuff. I think it's my favorite of all the stories going on in the book. I liked Aquaman before, but this is making me a bigger fan of him.

I'm really warming up to the new Aqualad.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 16 of 22]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 22  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum