Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Justice League of America

+19
Demonweasel
The Ignored One
Spazzy
Spider_Fan14
DickGrayson007
prescribeddrone
BrodieBruce_BlaculaHunter
Bigtymin504
Debaser77
LOOSECANNON
Aussiemandias
Batman25JM
shiky800
shining knight
riv1
jaydee74
LordD3r3k
BlueMaxx
Metal Misfit
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 11]

26Justice League of America - Page 2 Empty Re: Justice League of America Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:41 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Holy crap! No one has commented on the going-ons of this title. And all of you spouting on and on about Blackest Night. For shame. This title was a must-read. Vibe, (Commander)Steel, and Dr. Light as Black Lanterns.
Poor Plas. I didn't think someone could do that to him.
Although in damned, wrecked shape, I'm sure Red Tornado is fine. Rolling Eyes
Also...Gehenna. Doesn't that mean that Firestorm... I know. I need to read the main title. But that won't be until spring, it seems. Trade!

27Justice League of America - Page 2 Empty Re: Justice League of America Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:52 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Justice League of America #39

I was one of the few who actually enjoyed Robinson's debut on JLA last month. Sure, JLA die-hards are hating this current team, with it's mix of C-listers and perhaps overly-winey crybabies. And yeah, last issue, this group did more of the same in #38. What I liked about the bantering was that some of it was actually funny (Plastic Man) and it spread enough seeds for future JLA domination (see team change: #41). They have a battle just good enough to jump into Blackest Night and some dead heavy-hitters appear in this book.

The weakest is the father/daughter battle between Zatana and Zatara. It's a whole lot of mumbo-jumbo magic faux that is sure to lose interest. And you'd think Dr. Light's return would be so epic! How such an important character's "re-appearance" feels so hollow, beats me. I'm a fan of Bagley's art, despite much of it shifting into a stiffer direction than the gorgeous last issue (that's mostly why I loved #38 in the fist place). And don't even get me started on the gratuitous Spanish dialogue...

Luckily for Robinson, his work on Superman and Starman speaks for itself, and I think I'm going to give this JLA team at least til #42 before I drop them off in Detroit.

2/5 Bags&Boards - Ouch

And this was $3.99. Really?

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

28Justice League of America - Page 2 Empty Re: Justice League of America Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:03 am

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I got so tired of reading the spells. It was so tedious having to read everything backwards. Overall though, it wasn't a bad issue but I just want to see the new team already.

29Justice League of America - Page 2 Empty Re: Justice League of America Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:38 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

With Robinson's rampage of literary deaths at DC, I'm wondering about how the current team will go away.

I also thought that the buildup to Arthur Light was just right. I mean, Kimi knew he was there just for her. And when she stumbled across him, it wasn't this "GRAAAGGHH!! Prepare for death! I'm the true Dr. Light! ...yayaaya." He was just there, huddled over in the shadows, licking Gehenna's poor, salty corpse.

The only thing that bothered me was, like LooseCannon was talking about, Vibe's heinous accent. Not to be over-sensitive, but it was almost to the piont of offensive.

30Justice League of America - Page 2 Empty Re: Justice League of America Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:53 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

BlueMaxx wrote:I also thought that the buildup to Arthur Light was just right. I mean, Kimi knew he was there just for her. And when she stumbled across him, it wasn't this "GRAAAGGHH!! Prepare for death! I'm the true Dr. Light! ...yayaaya." He was just there, huddled over in the shadows, licking Gehenna's poor, salty corpse.

I loved that scene. Dr. Light is a creepy dude.

31Justice League of America - Page 2 Empty Re: Justice League of America Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:50 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LOOSECANNON wrote:Justice League of America #39

Sure, JLA die-hards are hating this current team, with it's mix of C-listers and perhaps overly-winey crybabies.
Yeah but this isn't really going to be Robinson's team nor is it really a team. It's more of a bunch of leftovers who are part of this Blackest Night JL story for a couple of issues until the new team starts to evolve. I don't think anyone should really be concerned about the make up of the team and instead just enjoy the story of these characters. They are all in a spot of bother.

BlueMaxx wrote:
I also thought that the buildup to Arthur Light was just right. I mean, Kimi knew he was there just for her. And when she stumbled across him, it wasn't this "GRAAAGGHH!! Prepare for death! I'm the true Dr. Light! ...yayaaya." He was just there, huddled over in the shadows, licking Gehenna's poor, salty corpse.
Gotta agree - that was creepy and excellent! Terrific introduction.

BlueMaxx wrote:
The only thing that bothered me was, like LooseCannon was talking about, Vibe's heinous accent. Not to be over-sensitive, but it was almost to the piont of offensive.
I've never really read any of the JLA stories when Vibe was in it - was this how he spoke back in those issues? If that's the case I can understand why Robinson did it. However I don't think it excuses it and I don't think you're being overly sensitive. I think it was pretty poor.

Could Plastic Man be any more of a mess than he is right now? He's so pathetic the Black Lantern couldn't even make use of his heart.

32Justice League of America - Page 2 Empty Re: Justice League of America Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:51 am

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

shiky800 wrote:
BlueMaxx wrote:^ Oh, okay. I was wondering about my memory. Heh. Also, the JLA already is on the new team. That's Robinson's first ish.
no the new team starts in issue 41 but he took over the book with issue 38

I cannot wait for #41. I am hoping with the new team, we'll see a new direction and a better book.

33Justice League of America - Page 2 Empty Re: Justice League of America Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:07 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven

Review of # 40 is up now on the main site.

http://panelsonpages.com/?p=16449

34Justice League of America - Page 2 Empty Re: Justice League of America Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:59 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Apart from Vibe's ridiculous dialogue (admittedly it seemed a little more toned down from last issue but not much) I thought issue #40 was actually really good. I thought for sure Robinson was about to kill off Gypsy which worried me because for some reason I've always like her (don't know why) so it was a surprise that she was effectively the last person standing. Anyway, I thought that was a pretty good conclusion to that chapter of the Justice League and to usher in a new start.

35Justice League of America - Page 2 Empty Re: Justice League of America Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:32 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

JLA #40

They should have just killed everyone in this book. Everyone but Zatanna. I hated it. I don't remember much of it, except that everyone in this issue wines and cries and it's just sloppy z-movie fangore. I was excited for Robinson due to his work on Starman and Superman: WOK and figured he'd have the right voice to take this middling team elsewhere. Rather, he's tortured by editorial mandates--because I really enjoyed #39--and this Blackest Night storyline that doesn't let you kill characters unless your last name is Johns and you're writing in one or 2 of the main titles.

We all know tie-ins to enormous events and crossovers stink (for some reason Secret Invasion had a few goodies), but this is getting rediculous. The tie-in's that show art or a diff way of going about an event (check Outsiders or Booster Gold) are the way to go. Just following suit without the possibility of shocking your audience is painful. Thankfully, I knew all this going in and just wanted to buy Robinson's run from the beginning. If he fails with the new faces in the next issue then it's going to be really difficult to buy his work again.

1.5/5 - Painful

36Justice League of America - Page 2 Empty Re: Justice League of America Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:52 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:Apart from Vibe's ridiculous dialogue (admittedly it seemed a little more toned down from last issue but not much) I thought issue #40 was actually really good. I thought for sure Robinson was about to kill off Gypsy which worried me because for some reason I've always like her (don't know why) so it was a surprise that she was effectively the last person standing. Anyway, I thought that was a pretty good conclusion to that chapter of the Justice League and to usher in a new start.
Guess we were the only ones. Felt like an alright issue to me. Not bad but not epic.

Dr. Light could be alive. It'd be appropriate if that was his last confrontation, but I'd want him to stick around. He's interesting being Dr. Light and a Black Lantern (Light and dark.). But ya, with Robinson, I was so, so surprised that no one is dead...of the non-Black Lanterns. I was thinking Gyspy might bite it or even Vixen. Figured Kimiyo would do fine and how do you kill Plas. Red Tornado could be dead, but he's never dead, you know? Heh. And Zee, of course, can take care of herself.

37Justice League of America - Page 2 Empty Re: Justice League of America Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:37 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Justice League of America #41

Finally!!! I have been waiting for this issue for months.

I do really like the new team. The only character that I don't care for is Dr. Light.

The issue was okay. It wasn't anything great, but at least it wasn't just the characters bitching about how ineffective they are.

I'm really happy to see Vixen go. She was annoying the hell out of me.

I'd like to know who is going to be the leader. I kinda want it to be Dick, but with both Green Arrow and Green Lantern on the team it seems like leadership should go to one of them (though GA doesn't seem like he's in a place to lead). I just hope it isn't Dr. Light. I just do not like her very much.

I'd like a little explanation of Dick's motivations for joining. Wasn't he against joining back when he was Nightwing?

I loved the art. I'm a big Bagley fan. There were a few panels that looked off though.

38Justice League of America - Page 2 Empty Re: Justice League of America Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:42 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'm still waiting for a good and interesting story to come from DC's super-team that should be DC's #1 team. I am liking this team but I am so sick of this "Let's get the band back together" shtick. Let's get on with some good and interesting stories already.

39Justice League of America - Page 2 Empty Re: Justice League of America Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:51 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

JLA #41

I'm sorry, but this was just bad. It had scenes like, "yes! cool team!" But, I agree with the last poster about the shtick getting old. I actually enjoyed #38 more (the first issue with Robinson), as he actually had a decent handle on the second tier characters. This book is just all over the place...if you're going to have a replacement Batman and Superman, why are we having Hal Jordan on the team? What's wrong with Kyle Rayner? For some reason I also thought Connor Kent was going to join. Despite who joins and who doesn't (yes, I don't care for Dr. Light either), the plotting, dialogue and even art were just so underpar.

Come on Robinson and Bagley, this is what we waited for? You can do better than this.

2/5 B&B - Not worth the wait at all. I guess the only positive is that this team can go nowhere but up from here.

40Justice League of America - Page 2 Empty Re: Justice League of America Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:14 am

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I am sorry to say I wasn't even all that impressed with Bagely's art this issue. Especially Donna Troy. Not sure why but it didn't do it for me. I did like his Batman and Robin stuff.

41Justice League of America - Page 2 Empty Re: Justice League of America Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:10 pm

shiky800

shiky800
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

i have to say i am crazy about issue 41 but i will give it another issue or so

42Justice League of America - Page 2 Empty Re: Justice League of America Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:45 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

At this point I really think DC should just blow this book up and start with a new #1. Have a "JLA Disassembled" if you will. Then start over with a superstar creative team with the intention to have them on the book for awhile. Make the JLA one of the core pillars shaping the direction of the DCU, like Avengers has been for the MU. JLA has been directionless and basically inconsequential for far too long.

43Justice League of America - Page 2 Empty Re: Justice League of America Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:20 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

I thought Brad Meltzer was doing a good job...but you know...him being a prolific mystery novelist and all, it wasn't going to last...

44Justice League of America - Page 2 Empty Re: Justice League of America Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:49 pm

shiky800

shiky800
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

i agree they need a revamp here. this book is boring and not worth $3.99

45Justice League of America - Page 2 Empty Re: Justice League of America Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:03 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

The last 3 JLA books are easily the worst reviewed books in my short comic book reviewing tenure.

46Justice League of America - Page 2 Empty Re: Justice League of America Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:01 pm

shiky800

shiky800
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

what the hell is going on. marvel is killing it with their avengers books. the JLA should be as good as the Avengers

47Justice League of America - Page 2 Empty Re: Justice League of America Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:50 pm

Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

I was all pumped and ready for the new team.....now I just could care less.

Unless I hear otherwise I don't think I'll be picking up the book again.

48Justice League of America - Page 2 Empty Re: Justice League of America Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:26 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

jaydee74 wrote:I am sorry to say I wasn't even all that impressed with Bagely's art this issue. Especially Donna Troy. Not sure why but it didn't do it for me. I did like his Batman and Robin stuff.

Bagley draws my favorite Dick Grayson Batman. I loved the Batman and Robin scenes in this issue. Robin looked awesome.

49Justice League of America - Page 2 Empty Re: Justice League of America Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:20 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Okay this has been bugging me and maybe somebody here can answer it for me.

I remembered something odd about Aquaman's death and went back and checked to confirm it. Back in Justice League of America #12 by Brad Meltzer and Ed Benes, Martian Manhunter and Aquaman were observing the new JLA as it was forming and talking about each member. This was clearly after Aquaman's supposed death, plus it couldn't be the new Aquaman cuz he and J'onn were reminiscing about the JLA's old days. Here's the issue:

Justice League of America - Page 2 Page19_1

So what happened here? I'm still not clear on Aquaman's apparent death. Did he really die and Meltzer and editors made a big mistake? Or was his death sort of retconned in for Blackest Night? Because I remember when I heard Aquaman would be rising from the dead in Blackest Night, I was like "Wasn't he just alive and kickin in JLA fairly recently?" scratch

50Justice League of America - Page 2 Empty Re: Justice League of America Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:44 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:Justice League of America #41
I'd like a little explanation of Dick's motivations for joining. Wasn't he against joining back when he was Nightwing?
Man, I'd like a little explanation for why half of them are joining. I actually did not see in this book any motivation for why Donna and Doctor Light ended up agreeing to join.

jaydee74 wrote:I am sorry to say I wasn't even all that impressed with Bagely's art this issue. Especially Donna Troy. Not sure why but it didn't do it for me. I did like his Batman and Robin stuff.
I realise a lot of people like him but I really find Bagley's art to be pretty average. It always looks just above amateur level to me.

LOOSECANNON wrote:I thought Brad Meltzer was doing a good job...but you know...him being a prolific mystery novelist and all, it wasn't going to last...
Totally agree - for me, this book started losing it the moment he finished up on it. They had this great relaunch and then just totally dropped the ball.

Bigtymin504 wrote:Okay this has been bugging me and maybe somebody here can answer it for me.

I remembered something odd about Aquaman's death and went back and checked to confirm it. Back in Justice League of America #12 by Brad Meltzer and Ed Benes, Martian Manhunter and Aquaman were observing the new JLA as it was forming and talking about each member. This was clearly after Aquaman's supposed death, plus it couldn't be the new Aquaman cuz he and J'onn were reminiscing about the JLA's old days. Here's the issue:

Justice League of America - Page 2 Page19_1

So what happened here? I'm still not clear on Aquaman's apparent death. Did he really die and Meltzer and editors made a big mistake? Or was his death sort of retconned in for Blackest Night? Because I remember when I heard Aquaman would be rising from the dead in Blackest Night, I was like "Wasn't he just alive and kickin in JLA fairly recently?" scratch
I think that was totally out of continuity. Casting my memory back, if Arthur wasn't dead at that point, well he wasn't Aquaman he was this creature that no one actually realised was Aquaman. He certainly wouldn't have been reminiscing with J'onn.

Overall, this book is on the prescipice of being dropped for me.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum