Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

The official; Doctor who thread

+28
Nubbins
GigaToast
Frank M. Reding
WonderWoman2.0
pumkinheadfan
Sapphire Gypsy
Juggalojohn
TheeDoctorWhoHasDreads?
ChrisToPhenom
MikeSabian
Foreigner_Man
melvinlikechris
Denim
Que
comicgeekelly
elijahdprophet
Joshua
TheUnalteredOne
BlueMaxx
Ska
supervenom
jaydee74
FroZen
Justin
Jherek
Silent K
superdoug
shining knight
32 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next

Go down  Message [Page 39 of 42]

951The official; Doctor who thread - Page 39 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:04 pm

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Spider_Fan14 wrote:With Marley, the bit with Christmas future, a Cratchett and family stand in, that sorta stuff.

Well, the Marley stand-in was Kazran's father, the Cratchitt family (and Tiny Tim's grim diagnosis) were represented by Abigail and her family, the 'Christmas Yet to Come' was represented by all the singers on the liner and the literal thousands of futures that were in Kazran's hands. Hell, they even worked the phrase 'surplus population' into the story! It couldn't have been more Christmas Carol if they'd included the phrase 'God bless us, every one' into the script.

You, my friend, didn't recognize the elements as they were presented to you. You should go back and re-watch it with those ideas in mind.

952The official; Doctor who thread - Page 39 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:34 pm

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

actually the christmas yet to come was young Kazran seeing older Kazran at the end...

the people on the liner was christmas present

good catch on the father being the Marley standin though

953The official; Doctor who thread - Page 39 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:32 pm

Spider_Fan14

Spider_Fan14
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

superdoug wrote:
Spider_Fan14 wrote:With Marley, the bit with Christmas future, a Cratchett and family stand in, that sorta stuff.

Well, the Marley stand-in was Kazran's father, the Cratchitt family (and Tiny Tim's grim diagnosis) were represented by Abigail and her family, the 'Christmas Yet to Come' was represented by all the singers on the liner and the literal thousands of futures that were in Kazran's hands. Hell, they even worked the phrase 'surplus population' into the story! It couldn't have been more Christmas Carol if they'd included the phrase 'God bless us, every one' into the script.

You, my friend, didn't recognize the elements as they were presented to you. You should go back and re-watch it with those ideas in mind.
Wow, I really didn't notice much of those things. Thanks for the cliff-notes Doug!

954The official; Doctor who thread - Page 39 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:24 pm

Jherek

Jherek
Pirate
Pirate

Spider_Fan14 wrote:
Jherek wrote:
Spider_Fan14 wrote:Saw the christmas special. Kinda meh, I liked Michael Gambon but I didn't like the special. I expected more of a Christmas Carol-story that was in the commercials.

Er...how much more Christmas Carolly could it have been? scratch
With Marley, the bit with Christmas future, a Cratchett and family stand in, that sorta stuff.

Well Superdoug got in first but can I just say you should probably watch it again with all that in mind. Hope you like it better second time around (history can be rewritten! Laughing )

955The official; Doctor who thread - Page 39 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:29 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

http://blogs.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2011/01/04/david-tennant-engaged-to-doctor-who-castmate-georgia-moffett/

Good for him. Hope it works out.

956The official; Doctor who thread - Page 39 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:40 pm

Jherek

Jherek
Pirate
Pirate

jaydee74 wrote:Just came back from the Doctor Who New York group meet up. It was at a sports bar in New York and we watched the Christmas Special. It was so much fun to watch with other people and I loved it. I saw some amazing Doctor Who shirts and hats and it was just a blast.

Hey Ska. I'm sorry you didn't like the story you saw. If your feeling confident, you should try another story at some point. I'm sure if you ask for some suggestions for some good classic stories based on what your looking for, I am sure people on here can recommend some good stories. Personally, I am a big fan of anything with the Second Doctor. He's quirky, funny and fun to watch. I'm also a big fan of his companion Jamie McCrimmon. I also really like the Third Doctor a lot. He's a much more action oriented sort of Doctor and you might like that a bit more even though he's much older than the Doctors your used to. I commend you for at least trying a classic story though. I'm sure people here could give you some better recommendations for some classic stories that are more up your alley.

Hmm that Doctor Who meet in a New York sports bar sounds like fun. Wish I'd been there. cool

957The official; Doctor who thread - Page 39 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:45 pm

Jherek

Jherek
Pirate
Pirate

Ska wrote:
jaydee74 wrote:
At least you tried a story which is cool. What you should take into account with the effects is that the show was innovative in the sense that it had such a small budget to work with and the creators did what they could with their show. Take this into account. The budget of the first season of Doctor Who equaled a single episode budget from the first season of Star Trek. Bottom line though is that you tried a classic story and while it wasn't for you, at least you tried it.
I'm actually really disappointed that I didn't like it. It would've given me a ton more to watch, ya know? I could probably get over the cheesy effects if the story itself were just more fast paced. That show felt like walking through 2 feet of snow.

Ska I'm rackin my brains tryin to think of some classic Who to recommend you watch but I kinda think none of it will appeal to your modern sensibilities. I think if you didn't grow up with that stuff (like me) you just need to make too many allowances (for low budget effects, pacing etc.) and without the benefit of nostalgia for 'back in the day' Doctor Who it's just not gonna work for you. (although there's plenty on here who are the living example of exception that proves the rule, I'm lookin at you Jaydee and Venom Laughing )

My advice would probably be to go for the earliest you can find - eg. the Hartnell, Troughton, Pertwee Doctors. Titles? - An Unearthly Child, (the very FIRST episode!!) The Daleks ,(Their very FIRST appearance!!)The Time Meddler, The Mind Robber, The Invasion, Tomb of the Cybermen, Spearhead From Space, The Green Death These are SO old now, watching them is like travelling back in time for real and, I think, kinda adds to the mood. Otherwise just carry on enjoying the new stuff with the awareness that it has a loooong history behind it. cool

958The official; Doctor who thread - Page 39 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:08 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

To be fair, I actually remember watching some old Tom Baker stories when I was younger. I had watched Genesis of the Daleks and remembered I had seen it before. (I was born at the tail-end of the Third Doctor) I also grew up with low budget television shows myself like the original Star Trek, BSG and Buck Rogers. I just happen to like classic tv.

I have a couple of the old Doctor Who stories on audio and I listened to The Power of the Daleks. What a great story. It was a nice introduction to the second Doctor. I so wish more of his stories had been preserved.

959The official; Doctor who thread - Page 39 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:06 pm

supervenom

supervenom
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

hey I was born in 1977, near the end of the Tom Baker era. grew up watching 3rd ,4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th doctor stories on public access station at late at night. also grew up and loving Japanese giant monster movies. must be why I can tolerate the bad effects in classic Who. I am however very particular about what anime interests me, since most anime seems generic and often has too much going on to interest me.

960The official; Doctor who thread - Page 39 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:09 pm

Jherek

Jherek
Pirate
Pirate

Laughing Guys...guys it was just my British ironic humour going into overdrive. I know you go way back with the Doctor. I wonder though if there's anyone on these boards who doesn't remember the classic show from the first time round but still likes watching those old episodes?

Oh and BTW congratulations to former Doctor David Tennant who announced his engagement to Georgia Moffett today. Am I alone tho in finding the fact that she played his daughter and is the real daughter of Peter Doctor #5 Davison a bit creepy?

961The official; Doctor who thread - Page 39 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:15 pm

supervenom

supervenom
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Jherek wrote: Laughing Guys...guys it was just my British ironic humour going into overdrive. I know you go way back with the Doctor.
my bad. the main British humor I am familiar with is Monty Python, and there is nothing subtle about Mony Python. Laughing Laughing Laughing

962The official; Doctor who thread - Page 39 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:17 pm

Jherek

Jherek
Pirate
Pirate

S'okay I didn't want anyone to think I was dissing them.

963The official; Doctor who thread - Page 39 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:48 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Jherek wrote:Hmm that Doctor Who meet in a New York sports bar sounds like fun. Wish I'd been there. cool

It was indeed a lot of fun. Watching the Christmas Special with a bunch of other Doctor Who fans was a unique experience for me and I quite enjoyed it. Here's the link to the site if anyone is interested:
http://dwny.org/

Jherek wrote: Laughing Guys...guys it was just my British ironic humour going into overdrive. I know you go way back with the Doctor. I wonder though if there's anyone on these boards who doesn't remember the classic show from the first time round but still likes watching those old episodes?
I really need to start drinking coffee again. I figured as much. Laughing

Jherek wrote:
Oh and BTW congratulations to former Doctor David Tennant who announced his engagement to Georgia Moffett today. Am I alone tho in finding the fact that she played his daughter and is the real daughter of Peter Doctor #5 Davison a bit creepy?

That is indeed awesome news but yes. A bit weird.

Jherek wrote:S'okay I didn't want anyone to think I was dissing them.
No worries. It's all good. big grin

964The official; Doctor who thread - Page 39 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:43 am

Ska

Ska
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

comicgeekelly wrote:http://blogs.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2011/01/04/david-tennant-engaged-to-doctor-who-castmate-georgia-moffett/

Good for him. Hope it works out.

The official; Doctor who thread - Page 39 Broken-heart-love-stitch

http://www.myspace.com/kristinellenamarie

965The official; Doctor who thread - Page 39 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:26 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

It is weird that he's marrying his television daughter and that her real life father was also the Doctor. Kind of neat too.

966The official; Doctor who thread - Page 39 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:46 am

Nubbins

Nubbins
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

Wow that is a lot of Doctor connection there. I don't know how comfortable I am with that now.

967The official; Doctor who thread - Page 39 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:55 am

Ska

Ska
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

It's NOT okay. God, you shoulda seen the hissy fit I threw last night when I found out. I pushed over my cardboard standee of the Doctor, then I ran in the living room to tell Daisy what happened, screaming the whole way, I dived onto the couch and started kicking and whining and crying "why?! why of all the people, why!?!" Then I rolled off the couch onto the floor and lied there for a good long while being miserable.

968The official; Doctor who thread - Page 39 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:59 am

pumkinheadfan

pumkinheadfan
Ninja
Ninja

Ska wrote:It's NOT okay. God, you shoulda seen the hissy fit I threw last night when I found out. I pushed over my cardboard standee of the Doctor, then I ran in the living room to tell Daisy what happened, screaming the whole way, I dived onto the couch and started kicking and whining and crying "why?! why of all the people, why!?!" Then I rolled off the couch onto the floor and lied there for a good long while being miserable.
Sounds like what happen to me last week when my brother at the last of my Swiss Rolls in the house! Very Happy

Ordered this today!
The official; Doctor who thread - Page 39 Screwdriver%20limited

969The official; Doctor who thread - Page 39 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:06 am

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'm so sorry Ska. I do think they make a cute couple though:

The official; Doctor who thread - Page 39 Article-0-069EE3CB000005DC-425_468x850

970The official; Doctor who thread - Page 39 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:18 pm

Nubbins

Nubbins
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

In reality they are not that far off in age are they?

971The official; Doctor who thread - Page 39 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:57 pm

Ska

Ska
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

She's 26, and he's 40. I feel like Sebastian on Little Britain "whatevah, BITCH."

972The official; Doctor who thread - Page 39 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:29 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

So. What have we learned?

01. Mr. Tennant likes to date co-workers
02. Mr. Tennant likes Blondes
03. Mr. Tennant likes them a bit younger.

Case in point:

The official; Doctor who thread - Page 39 Dave_tennant_280_368516a
The official; Doctor who thread - Page 39 Who404_675807c

973The official; Doctor who thread - Page 39 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:39 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

jaydee74 wrote:So. What have we learned?

01. Mr. Tennant likes to date co-workers
02. Mr. Tennant likes Blondes
03. Mr. Tennant likes them a bit younger.

I wonder if he likes to wear robes and captain's hats?

The official; Doctor who thread - Page 39 Hugh-Hefner

974The official; Doctor who thread - Page 39 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:55 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

lmao

975The official; Doctor who thread - Page 39 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Nubbins

Nubbins
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

Not sure if there is a Torchwood thread, but I had to share this with you all. I know I love the Doctor and Torchwood so I thought you all might too!Torchwood: Miracle Day It will be on STARS come July! I am almost as excited as the New Doctor shows coming out. (Though I am still ticked at Davies after watching Children of earth!)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 39 of 42]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum