Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz?

+18
hrdwrkngXsoldier
kreepfan
Off_White_Lantern
jaydee74
TENIME_art
supervenom
Kupocat
BlueMaxx
Astro13Zombie
deadbolt85
Ska
Spider_Fan14
superdoug
shining knight
Silent K
Joshua
shark6495
Foreigner_Man
22 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

26Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:01 am

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Johnny Depp is a fantastic actor. He hasn't taken any acting challenges since Jack Sparrow, but that doesn't diminish his talent.

27Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:11 am

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I thought this was to discuss a potential Wizard of Oz remake, not discuss Tim Burton and Johnny Depp for a page and a half. Is the Alice In Wonderland thread and the 'Actors You Hate' thread not enough for these two to get discussed thoroughly?

I was really looking forward to a lively discussion about the Baum books and possible movies and casting choices, not the same old bullshit rants about Tim Burton and Johnny Depp. My fault for thinking we could stay on topic for the first two pages.... Sad

28Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:12 am

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

Quit whining and get the discussion back on track, then, Doug! Mr. Best Elder PoP!Per!

29Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:13 am

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Did you guys hear that Christopher Nolan will be working on the next Superman movie? I'm pretty excited.

30Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:18 am

TENIME_art

TENIME_art
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Joshua wrote:I would have no problem with a more accurate to the source material film adaptation, but I see no reason to remake the MGM musical version.

I'm with Josh. Remake? No. Faithful adaptation? Please.

Ska wrote:...leave Tim Burton and Johnny Depp out of this. Mad

Agreed.

deadbolt85 wrote:
Ska wrote:I thought Ninth Gate sucked.
So did a lot of people. But have you seen Blow?

I loved Ninth Gate, and Blow bored me to fucking tears.

31Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:23 am

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Fine. Here we go.

THE WONDERFUL WIZARD OF OZ -- Casting Choices

Dorothy: Ariel Winter
Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? - Page 2 Ariel-winter-picture

Glinda, Good Witch of the South: Amy Adams
Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? - Page 2 Amy-Adams3365

Scarecrow: Doug Jones
Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? - Page 2 DougJones

Tin Woodman: David Tennant
Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? - Page 2 David_tennant1

Cowardly Lion: Gerard Butler
Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? - Page 2 Gerard-Butler-01

The Wizard: John Lithgow
Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? - Page 2 Johnlithgow

Wicked Witch of the West: Michelle Pfeiffer
Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? - Page 2 Michellepfeiffer

32Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:26 am

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I would be down with a Henry Selick-directed stop motion adaptation of the material. I think that eerie vibe stop motion tends to illicit is perfect for the land of Oz.

33Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:28 am

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Joshua wrote:I would be down with a Henry Selick-directed stop motion adaptation of the material. I think that eerie vibe stop motion tends to illicit is perfect for the land of Oz.

Except that Oz isn't an eerie landscape. It's a fairy land, full of bright sunshine and talking animals. Sure, there are places in Oz that are creepy, but the story itself and the landscape do not lend itself to an eerie sort of retelling, no matter WHAT the fuck Todd McFarlane says.

34Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:30 am

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

Lithgow as Oz is kind of brilliant.

35Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:33 am

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I've always thought John Lithgow would be great as Oz. He could do both the grand pomposity facade and the unnerved man from Omaha with equal ease.

36Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:34 am

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

superdoug wrote:
Joshua wrote:I would be down with a Henry Selick-directed stop motion adaptation of the material. I think that eerie vibe stop motion tends to illicit is perfect for the land of Oz.

Except that Oz isn't an eerie landscape. It's a fairy land, full of bright sunshine and talking animals. Sure, there are places in Oz that are creepy, but the story itself and the landscape do not lend itself to an eerie sort of retelling, no matter WHAT the fuck Todd McFarlane says.
Maybe I've been misinformed, but I always thought the Baum version was darker than the MGM one. Not McFarlane dark of course, but not Dorothy singing to rainbows either. Either way, slightly dark or light-hearted as shit, I'd be really into a stop motion version.

37Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:37 am

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Joshua wrote:
superdoug wrote:

Maybe I've been misinformed, but I always thought the Baum version was darker than the MGM one. Not McFarlane dark of course, but not Dorothy singing to rainbows either. Either way, slightly dark or light-hearted as shit, I'd be really into a stop motion version.

Not necessarily darker, but there were more 'scary' moments in the book. (The Kalidahs, the wolves, the black bees.) But I could be down for a movie along the lines of Coraline, so long as the characters were based on Skottie Young's designs. Very Happy

38Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:43 am

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

While maybe not Skottie Young, but that John Boorman concept art is pretty nice.

Voice Actors?

I'm gonna go a little "The Office" centric

Jenna Fischer: Dorothy
Steve Carrell: Scarcrow
Rainn Wilson: Tin Man
Seth Rogen: Lion
John Lithgow: Oz
Jane Lynch: Wicked Witch
Amy Adams: Good Witch

39Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:43 am

supervenom

supervenom
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Doug Jones as the Scarecrow is brilliant casting Superdoug. yes

40Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:17 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Silent K wrote:While maybe not Skottie Young, but that John Boorman concept art is pretty nice.

Voice Actors?

I'm gonna go a little "The Office" centric

Jenna Fischer: Dorothy
Steve Carrell: Scarcrow
Rainn Wilson: Tin Man
Seth Rogen: Lion
John Lithgow: Oz
Jane Lynch: Wicked Witch
Amy Adams: Good Witch

Awesome cast.

41Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:30 pm

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'm so tired of people going on and on about The Office. I cannot watch it, and I certainly wouldn't want that stink on my Wizard of Oz movie. Nor would I want Seth Rogan's loser B.O. on it. I could take Steve Carrell, but only as the Cowardly Lion.

My modified V.O. cast:

Dorothy: Lea Michele (from Glee)
Scarecrow: Kelsey Grammar
Tin Woodman: David Hyde Pierce
Cowardly Lion: Steve Carrell
Wizard: John Lithgow
Wicked Witch: Jane Lynch
Good Witch of the South: Amy Adams (alternately, Julie Bowen)

42Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:33 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dorothy: Jack Black
Scarecrow: Dustin Hoffman
Tin Woodman: Angelina Jolie
Cowardly Lion: Jackie Chan
Wizard: Lucy Liu
Wicked Witch: David Cross
Good Witch of the South: Seth Rogen

43Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:29 pm

Off_White_Lantern

Off_White_Lantern
Pirate
Pirate

They already made a Wizard of Oz for this generation its called Tin Man.

44Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:31 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Off_White_Lantern wrote:They already made a Wizard of Oz for this generation its called Tin Man.
And it's terrible.

45Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:33 pm

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Off_White_Lantern wrote:They already made a Wizard of Oz for this generation its called Tin Man.

Tin Man was not a remake of the Wizard of Oz. It was a telling of a possible future of the Land of Oz. It bore only a passing resemblance to the stories of L. Frank Baum, and wasn't true to the source material in the least.

We're talking about a version that would be true to the original story, as written by Baum.

Joshua wrote:And it's terrible.

That, too.

46Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:36 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Tin Man : Wizard of Oz :: Hook : Peter Pan

47Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:43 pm

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Joshua wrote:Tin Man : Wizard of Oz :: Hook : Peter Pan

The difference being that I actually enjoy parts of Hook (I actually think that Julia Roberts as Tinkerbell was a pretty solid bit of casting), while Tin Man had me wanting to go after my eyes with a spoon.

48Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:51 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I meant concept, not quality. While Hook is a fairly inferior movie, it's a guilty pleasure of mine.

49Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:14 pm

kreepfan

kreepfan
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

These actors came to mind when I saw this thread...they probably aren't good choices but it's just who I thought of.

Josh Peck as The Scarecrow (He's kinda skinny now and reminds of the old school slapstick comedians)he probably doesn't have the acting experience to pull it off though...So how about..I know it's another everybody always picks him actor but, Jim Carrey

Cillian Murphy or Crispin Glover as the Tin man (Probably as voice over/motion capture thing like with Davey Jones.)

Wayne Knight as the Cowardly Lion

Superdoug suggested it and I really can't see any other actor doing it

John Lithgow as The Wizard

I'm really at a loss for who to play Dorothy..

50Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is it time to remake the Wizard of Oz? Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:26 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dorothy: Jennifer Carpenter
Scarecrow: Michael C. Hall
Tin Woodman: Erik King
Cowardly Lion: David Zayas
Wizard: James Remar
Wicked Witch: Lauren Velez
Good Witch of the South: Julie Benz

Sponsored content