Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fantastic Four

+23
Joshua
LordD3r3k
TheBrownLantern
Sinister Dolphin
Janson
Spazzy
shining knight
Denim
jaydee74
rwe1138
Spider_Fan14
Foreigner_Man
FusionJorge
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Aussiemandias
Bigtymin504
Fresh03
Batman25JM
Nymn
hrdwrkngXsoldier
prescribeddrone
Ska
LOOSECANNON
27 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 7]

151Fantastic Four - Page 7 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:25 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:
Aussiemandias wrote:Issue #587I have a minor quibble though and I'd be very keen for other views on this. I thought that during the fight in the Baxter Building and then even during Johnny's last stand that his powers were underutilised. He just never seemed to unleash to me. I kept expecting it and it didn't happen. And then even at the end, I was also thinking he didn't actually have to fight that horde - he'd done what he needed to, to close the gate, couldn't he have just flown away into the negative zone or is the inference that there was no chance to get away? Did these things cross anyone else's minds?

Yeah this crossed my mind too. I don't think there was much chance for him to get away, plus this was supposed to be his heroic stand so fleeing the scene was out of the question in his mind I think. I was kinda expecting Johnny to go "nova" though after he said flame on. Maybe he sorta wanted this to be his last stand and just accepted it, or maybe they jumped on him too quickly.

I'm probably answering my own question here but Johnny did say at one point something about it being a billion vs 1 so with those kinds of numbers escape probably wasn't an option. However, I do think he would have had an attempt at going nova. Not meaning to be too critical because I loved the story but it seemed like a bit of a gap to me.

Bigtymin504 wrote:
LordD3r3k wrote:Well, I only ask for 2 reasons..

1. This being superhero comics and we know death isn't permanent, I was curious as to how exactly the death was handled.

2. Since we don't actually see a dead body, perhaps the horde was simply meant to incapacitate Johnny in order for him to be used in some plot Annihilus is cooking up.

Or he might just be dead Laughing

Yep its superhero comics so any of this is possible!

Laughing Yeah, all of the above are possible outcomes. I think the important thing is that it seems that for as long as Hickman's doing this book, he's dead. The thing that cracks me up is that the mainstream media continue to jump on the bandwagon - you'd think sooner or later they'd start to get that death in comics is not always all that permanent!

152Fantastic Four - Page 7 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:46 pm

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Re-reading this issue, I remembered something that I wanted to rant about: I WISH THEY WOULD DEFINE THE POWER KIDS' AGES, AND WHAT THEIR CURRENT SITUATION IS.

In this issue, Alex Power looks around 15 or so...which is fine, except his little sister Julie is running around in Runaways looking about 19. If she's 2 years younger than Alex, that means that Alex is around 21. And there's no sign of either Jack or Katie, nor any indication as to whether they still retain their Kymellian powers like Alex and Julie, or if their older siblings have leeched those powers away.

I know it's only peripherally connected to the Fantastic Four (but, hey...Franklin's got his powers back, that means that both Zero-Gee and Tattletale appeared in this issue), but I would REALLY like them to do a 616 Power Pack mini to address and resolve some of these hanging questions.

153Fantastic Four - Page 7 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:58 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

rwe1138 wrote:I think he's taking out frustration on robots or holograms.
That would make a lot of sense. I like that theory but why holograms of heroes? Why not those creatures or whatever they were that attacked Johnny?

154Fantastic Four - Page 7 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:07 pm

Denim

Denim
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Spider-Man joins the Fantastic four and they get some new outfits....sigh

http://marvel.com/news/story/15170/spider-man_joins_the_ff

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/theusernameiwantedformyprofile

155Fantastic Four - Page 7 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:09 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

FF = Future Foundation

Fantastic Four - Page 7 FF_1_Cover

Fantastic Four - Page 7 FF_1_AcunaVariant

Hell yes! I love the new threads. Smile

156Fantastic Four - Page 7 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:49 pm

Indiana Solo

Indiana Solo
Cadet
Cadet

I knew that FF didn't stand for Fantastic Four.

I don't know quite what to make of it all, but I have complete faith in Hickman.

157Fantastic Four - Page 7 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:21 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

Hmm. Don't dig the look for Spidey, but it works on the others. That said, I trust Hickman and am still really looking forward to this.

Although between Amazing, minis & one-shots, Avengers, New Avengers and now FF, I think Peter has decided to stop sleeping.

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

158Fantastic Four - Page 7 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:07 pm

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I love Spidey's look here. I shall be picking it up, I guess- not sure if trade or singles but I'm curious.

159Fantastic Four - Page 7 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:11 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'm not sure about the new costumes. I don't hate them, but they just feel weird. I guess it's probably because they aren't typical Fantastic Four outfits. It's weird not seeing them in blue.

I kind of like the Spidey outfit. It's very Anti-Venom.

I don't know how I feel about the fact that Spidey will be on the team. I mean, this is typically a family book, and while Spidey is probably the closest thing to a family member the FF have in the hero community, it still feels weird. There is also the fact that Spidey is already on 2 teams. Whatever.

I haven't decided if I'm going to pick this up or not. I'm leaning towards yes, at least for the first issue to see what it's like. I dropped Fantastic Four a while ago because, while I liked it, it wasn't essential reading for me. When I dropped it though, I did so with the notion that I'd be getting it in trade, and that's still the plan, but I haven't done so yet. Though, only one trade has come out so far that has stuff from after the point I dropped the book.

160Fantastic Four - Page 7 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:52 pm

Denim

Denim
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

So they are White Lanterns now

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/theusernameiwantedformyprofile

161Fantastic Four - Page 7 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:41 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

[quote="Bigtymin504"]FF = Future Foundation

[quote]

Oh should have clicked to that!!! Didn't even cross my mind. surprised

162Fantastic Four - Page 7 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:59 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

#588 was damn good. While Hickman rocked the hell out of a silent issue, it mainly fell to Nick Dragotta to pull off all the emotional lifting with his art, and he didn't disappoint. The Mark Brooks back-up was good as well.

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

163Fantastic Four - Page 7 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:58 am

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I checked this issue out and it was very powerful indeed. The art really sold this issue which it needed since it was a silent issue. There were so many parts that really stood out to me as being just really very awesome and emotional. I'll save what I really thought were stand-out moments when I feel more people have chimed in but great issue. The backup story was also really good. Fantastic Final Issue.

164Fantastic Four - Page 7 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:59 pm

Zeroskull21

Zeroskull21
Cadet
Cadet

Great issue, incredibly solid. I like how dark it got, especially the Future Foundation scene. I can't wait for FF #1 now.

165Fantastic Four - Page 7 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:52 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

The original colorist for Fantastic Four #1 Stan Goldberg does a Silver Age-y variant for FF #1:

Fantastic Four - Page 7 FF_1_GoldbergVariant

166Fantastic Four - Page 7 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:14 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I don't like the logo but I like the concept.

167Fantastic Four - Page 7 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:59 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Fantastic Four #588

Issue of the year. =/

168Fantastic Four - Page 7 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:03 am

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:Fantastic Four #588

Issue of the year. =/
Agreed.

169Fantastic Four - Page 7 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:56 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Loved it. Couldn't help but feel an overwrought of silent ode issues this week, however...took a little of the muster out of it, for me..

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

170Fantastic Four - Page 7 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:45 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Issue of the year. =/

Yes.

Well I found Fantastic Four #588 to be superb. It might look like it's all the work of the artist (who, as the issue started, I was very disappointed with but then realised that he was doing a great job - and, for once, a Jack Kirby style felt really appropriate) but you can be assured this was really well written by Hickman who would have choreographed all the moments in this. I'd probably suggest (without knowing for sure) that there's a lot more direction for the artist in a silent issue than in one with lots of dialogue. Anyway, doesn't matter, as both writer and artist did a wonderful job.

I was very relieved that there wasn't a standard fare super-hero funeral - I can't stand those. Something about them often seems absurd to me (although the Martian Manhunter one a year or 2 back was very good).

I found myself choked up a few times while reading this (kept telling myself "these are just comic book characters!!! Don't be silly"). That scene at the funeral where Reed and Sue held hands - just so touching. Those opening few pages with Ben just shattered surrounded by the kids and Sue enters the room. Reed trying to console Sue and finds her surrounded by her force field (which is obvious but just such good writing). And Thor and Banner helping Ben to face his grief - that just blew me away. Gets to me just writing it down.

The little story with Spidey and Franklin was great too - really makes sense to me that Franklin might get closer to Spidey now.

I just have to say bravo Jonathan Hickman. I love his writing already but now, well, I think he's my favourite super-hero comics writer.

Oh and then ending was a big surprise. I certainly was not expecting to see Nathaniel Richards turn up!

171Fantastic Four - Page 7 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:19 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:

Issue of the year. =/

Yes.

Well I found Fantastic Four #588 to be superb. It might look like it's all the work of the artist (who, as the issue started, I was very disappointed with but then realised that he was doing a great job - and, for once, a Jack Kirby style felt really appropriate) but you can be assured this was really well written by Hickman who would have choreographed all the moments in this. I'd probably suggest (without knowing for sure) that there's a lot more direction for the artist in a silent issue than in one with lots of dialogue. Anyway, doesn't matter, as both writer and artist did a wonderful job.

I was very relieved that there wasn't a standard fare super-hero funeral - I can't stand those. Something about them often seems absurd to me (although the Martian Manhunter one a year or 2 back was very good).

I found myself choked up a few times while reading this (kept telling myself "these are just comic book characters!!! Don't be silly"). That scene at the funeral where Reed and Sue held hands - just so touching. Those opening few pages with Ben just shattered surrounded by the kids and Sue enters the room. Reed trying to console Sue and finds her surrounded by her force field (which is obvious but just such good writing). And Thor and Banner helping Ben to face his grief - that just blew me away. Gets to me just writing it down.

The little story with Spidey and Franklin was great too - really makes sense to me that Franklin might get closer to Spidey now.

I just have to say bravo Jonathan Hickman. I love his writing already but now, well, I think he's my favourite super-hero comics writer.

Oh and then ending was a big surprise. I certainly was not expecting to see Nathaniel Richards turn up!

You very eloquently summed up what I meant by "issue of the year". Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum