Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fantastic Four

+23
Joshua
LordD3r3k
TheBrownLantern
Sinister Dolphin
Janson
Spazzy
shining knight
Denim
jaydee74
rwe1138
Spider_Fan14
Foreigner_Man
FusionJorge
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Aussiemandias
Bigtymin504
Fresh03
Batman25JM
Nymn
hrdwrkngXsoldier
prescribeddrone
Ska
LOOSECANNON
27 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 7]

51Fantastic Four - Page 3 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:13 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:^UGH!!

I hate when they pull an artist off a book he or she is working on to do another one. They could have gotten someone else to do the Steve Rogers mini.

Yeah this is a huge bummer. Eaglesham was perfect for FF. Whoever they get to replace him has some big shoes to fill. I was thinking they might go with the guy that's been filling in for Eaglesham on a few issues. He did a pretty good job from what I remember.

52Fantastic Four - Page 3 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:29 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I know they wouldn't do it since he's busy working on New Avengers, but I'd like to see Stuart Immonen do some FF.

53Fantastic Four - Page 3 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:36 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn it! murderous outrageous you're gonna get it Crying or Very sad

54Fantastic Four - Page 3 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:14 am

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I just want to know why it seems like artists don't stay on books for very long anymore. I like it when an artist stays on for a good long time (as long as I love the artist).

55Fantastic Four - Page 3 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:38 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Fantastic Four #578

Aaand there's the 4th city. Hickman's epic is starting to come together and everything is starting to line up in place. I really liked that we got some Johnny action this issue, he's probably gotten the least development of the family so far. It was a great way to bring back Annihilus and his wave. Plus, I love how lil Val is piecing things together on her own, she's the breakout character of this run.

This issue also reminded me how much I'm gonna miss Eaglesham on FF. He's flat out perfect for it, sucks that he's leaving.

56Fantastic Four - Page 3 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:58 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

FF #578

Easily the worst of the four Prime Elements issues, but still worth a spin if you're an FF fan. I'm also among the consensus that Hickman's take on Fantastic Four will read much better in trade format, perhaps even a giant omnibus if he ever gets to that. As for monthly, you have to take the subtlety of it all as a portion of the bigger picture.

Another notion I'm in agreement with is Dale Eaglesham's recently announced departure from the title: what a shame. The good news is, particular to fans of Steve Rogers, you'll be able to enjoy his wondrous images in another major title. Considering that's only a mini, Eaglesham could easily return to FF in just a few months if that's what he wishes. Let's hope--for he was the only reason to buy this book this month. Even fans of Johnny Storm--and perhaps I'm under the minority of wanting this character a push in the Marvel world--will be disappointed.

The issue starts off so well with Johnny's usual dating blunders, as his "winner" this time turns cultish sci-fi/horror. Fun aside, it's the weak execution and overabundance of ideas that chugs this story to a halt. With some brilliant moments (i.e. the iPad showing up earlier than you think, courtesy of Val), it's a shame Eaglesham appeared to have rushed his results.

2.5/5 Bloody Eyed Broads - An issue you'll enjoy reading, but not without the realization that none of this makes any sense; naturally, this places the arc in an awkward predicament.

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

57Fantastic Four - Page 3 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Sun May 02, 2010 8:36 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:Fantastic Four #578

Aaand there's the 4th city. Hickman's epic is starting to come together and everything is starting to line up in place.

That's how it's all felt to me too but you know what's weird? Judging from Previews I don't think he's going to get into the epic storyline for at least another 3 issues. These last 4 issues have all been build up and then it seems weird to go off track for a few issues. That being said, I have great faith in Hickman so we'll see what these next issues bring. He has been saying that the next issue is his favourite so far so it should be interesting.

One thing I do know. The current FF is not necessarily the place to find action and fights in every issue. I think the focus is on the family and exploration. The adventure is coming but I think this is not going to be the usual super-hero fare.

I liked the focus on Johnny also in this issue and I still feel like each of the FF are aligned with one of the cities. Not necessarily allied to them but they are connected. Can't wait until things really pick up with this.

Eaglesham's work on this latest issue was very good again. The look on Val's face when Johnny's telling his story was priceless!

58Fantastic Four - Page 3 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Mon May 03, 2010 2:27 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:Fantastic Four #578

Aaand there's the 4th city. Hickman's epic is starting to come together and everything is starting to line up in place.

That's how it's all felt to me too but you know what's weird? Judging from Previews I don't think he's going to get into the epic storyline for at least another 3 issues. These last 4 issues have all been build up and then it seems weird to go off track for a few issues. That being said, I have great faith in Hickman so we'll see what these next issues bring. He has been saying that the next issue is his favourite so far so it should be interesting.

One thing I do know. The current FF is not necessarily the place to find action and fights in every issue. I think the focus is on the family and exploration. The adventure is coming but I think this is not going to be the usual super-hero fare.

I liked the focus on Johnny also in this issue and I still feel like each of the FF are aligned with one of the cities. Not necessarily allied to them but they are connected. Can't wait until things really pick up with this.

Eaglesham's work on this latest issue was very good again. The look on Val's face when Johnny's telling his story was priceless!

Yeah Hickman works in mysterious ways. He sets up all these crazy high concepts, steps back a bit to let it all digest, then he dives right into it. He's really a master of long term story building and telling.

And great observation how each FF member is sort of tied to each city: Ben to the High Evolutionary underground city, Sue to the Lost Atlantian city, Johnny to the Negative Zone city, and I guess Reed to the Inhuman city. You gotta imagine there's a significance to that!

59Fantastic Four - Page 3 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Mon May 03, 2010 9:34 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

great analysis guys

60Fantastic Four - Page 3 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Tue May 04, 2010 2:04 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Fantastic Four #578

Hickman continues to do a stellar job setting up this event involving four cities in the Fantastic Four book. Everything has been interesting and is tying together nicely, much like Peter David’s X-Factor. The attention to detail is evident in the way that the story is presented.

We have seen the High Evolutionary’s city rise from below ground, then we were introduced to a lost Atlantean city in the depths of the Arctic. We all thought that the Blue area of the moon was pretty vacant after Attilan left, only to find out 4 new races of Inhumans have settled together there. Now we find out through the misadventures of Johnny Storm that the Negative Zone prison has expanded into a city.

Val Richards plainly puts it, “..And that makes four, I guess that’s settled.”

Seeing as she is the only one that knows what is coming I wonder if she is ever going to explain this whole war of four cities thing to her father and his team. It is kind of creepy the way she is keeping everything so secretive.

We see the beginnings of the battle as Inhumans send their “Light Brigade” into the Negative Zone, and the Atlanteans raise their metropolis to the icy surface. This should prove very interesting. Good job Mr. Hickman.

4 out of 5 Lost Civilizations

61Fantastic Four - Page 3 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Thu May 27, 2010 1:55 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Fantastic Four #579

Another great issue. I loved the beginning with Reed lecturing the Singularity Conference. He really let them all have it Laughing. Then we saw various bits of different stuff like Sue with the Lost Atlantian tribe and the kids from the Underground City talking about all the stuff they've learned. Another very interesting sequence was the look at Nu-World. Hickman also does a great job of keeping all this high concept stuff a bit grounded by throwing in nice family moments, like the stuff with Franklin showing off some karate moves to his two uncles. Then we see Reed pay the Wizard a visit and they have a conversation about the future of the world, leading into Reed's next project: the Future Foundation.

I'm really gonna miss Dale Eaglesham on the art, he captured the high concept stuff in this book beautifully and every character looked great. But I think Neil Edwards does a good job too and should be a solid replacement.

62Fantastic Four - Page 3 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Thu May 27, 2010 6:34 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I decided to drop this and make it a series for which I trade wait. I love it, but it's not required monthly reading for me.

63Fantastic Four - Page 3 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Fri May 28, 2010 3:00 am

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Fantastic Four #579

Hickman continues to show us how much of an asset he really is to Marvel. I say this every so often, but before Hickman was on the book I could have cared less about Marvel's "First Family." This issue was more set up for the entire War of Four Cities that we are waiting for.

The issue seems to be alot about resetting perspective for Reed Richards, Explorer Supreeme. I think that there has been a tiny bit of growth for his character as he realizes that everybody else is thinking inside the box a little to much these days. Calling out people at the very confernece that he began and then disolving it. Who ever said that Marvel tries not to be political (Joe Q...yeah we know) might have to bight their tongue just a little bit when we see Hickman mocking some of the things that are currently going on in the world and the outlook that society has for the future of science and humanity. I really appreciated it and even felt a bit of humility myself as I realized that I make some similar inside the box thinking. Well no more. (I'll do the rest of this review in my briefs even.)

When a writer can capture you and make you think he has achieved a goal. There are lots of comics that just seem like books with pictures and Hickman definately takes it to the next level. He is like the comic equivelent of Kurt Vonnegut, tell us that it will be okay "Free will has kicked in again" (See Vonnegut's Time Quake if you don't know what the means.)

The art in the book isn't exaclty my favorite there is actually a part of the book where I thought Val Richards was a wierd old lady sitting on Dragon Man's shoulder, then they showed a close up and I could make a connection. But seeing all the different new and little used characters popping up in this book (including the Wizard's clone) gave it a new freshness that I think exemplifies what the Heroic Age is going to be. Seeing the future in Reed's class room got me excited, and they didn't forget to tie in the events across the planet/multiverse that are going to lead up to Hickmans first BIG story with this book.

Fantastic Four continues to be good and I'll continue to pick it up as long as Hickman's name is on the by-line.

4 out of 5 Promising Geniuses

64Fantastic Four - Page 3 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Fri May 28, 2010 3:01 am

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:I decided to drop this and make it a series for which I trade wait. I love it, but it's not required monthly reading for me.

I can totally see that, it has so little to do with all the BIG picture events that are going on all over Marvel right now. It seems to be pretty self contained.

65Fantastic Four - Page 3 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Fri May 28, 2010 3:41 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Its stuff like Reed's epic monologue at the beginning of this issue alone that makes this a monthly MUST read for me. yes

66Fantastic Four - Page 3 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Sun May 30, 2010 6:11 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

FF #579

For whatever reason, perhaps reading this too quickly, I wasn't as impressed with the issue as most. That's not to say I didn't like it, or I can find any specific flaws--just felt like something was missing. Oh wait, that's it: action. I know it's FF, Hickman and a bundle of ideas, but I'd like to see some sort of conflict--other than that involving scientific thought and experimentation. It's an Heroic Age book with no implications in the Marvel Universe's larger picture...yet.

The prospects of the title's potential, still, are off the charts.

3.5/5 Bags&Boards - Steady as she goes.

67Fantastic Four - Page 3 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:29 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:Fantastic Four #579

Another great issue. I loved the beginning with Reed lecturing the Singularity Conference. He really let them all have it Laughing. Then we saw various bits of different stuff like Sue with the Lost Atlantian tribe and the kids from the Underground City talking about all the stuff they've learned. Another very interesting sequence was the look at Nu-World. Hickman also does a great job of keeping all this high concept stuff a bit grounded by throwing in nice family moments, like the stuff with Franklin showing off some karate moves to his two uncles. Then we see Reed pay the Wizard a visit and they have a conversation about the future of the world, leading into Reed's next project: the Future Foundation.

I'm really gonna miss Dale Eaglesham on the art, he captured the high concept stuff in this book beautifully and every character looked great. But I think Neil Edwards does a good job too and should be a solid replacement.
I'm not a fan of Edwards. His art is dull which doesn't suit this book at all. I think he might be better on a more street level type book.

Hickman has so many different threads he's building on this book and I can't help but feel they may all be connected in the long run. That Nu-World sequence was unreal - I was like what the hell is going on here, let me read that again. I'm very interested in where all that may be going and maybe even more so than his four cities story (if they're unconnected).

My guess about Sue's request to the Atlantean king was that it was for a couple of kids to attend Reed's Future Foundation because they were in the room at the end.

LOOSECANNON wrote:FF #579

For whatever reason, perhaps reading this too quickly, I wasn't as impressed with the issue as most. That's not to say I didn't like it, or I can find any specific flaws--just felt like something was missing. Oh wait, that's it: action. I know it's FF, Hickman and a bundle of ideas, but I'd like to see some sort of conflict--other than that involving scientific thought and experimentation.
I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but I just don't think this is going to be a book that features loads of action every issue. I think it will build up to it from time to time but I don't think it's what makes this book tick at the moment.

68Fantastic Four - Page 3 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:35 pm

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:I decided to drop this and make it a series for which I trade wait. I love it, but it's not required monthly reading for me.

I like it, don't love it- but yeah agreed. I dropped it. When I see it for half price in trade, I'll gladly pick it up.

69Fantastic Four - Page 3 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:30 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Hickman and Epting's Fantastic "Three"

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=26559

Fantastic Four - Page 3 F3

Hickman and Epting together! Very Happy *does happy dance*

Last edited by Bigtymin504 on Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : unspoiler the image ;))

70Fantastic Four - Page 3 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:44 pm

Foreigner_Man

Foreigner_Man
Ninja
Ninja

^Looks great! Nice to see FF getting another great artist after Eaglesham left.

Fantastic Four - Page 3 11mghzk
Fantastic Four - Page 3 108fxnc

71Fantastic Four - Page 3 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:10 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^Yep Epting is amazing.

Hickman interview: http://www.newsarama.com/comics/fantastic-four-3-hickman-100607.html

72Fantastic Four - Page 3 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:31 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:Hickman and Epting's Fantastic "Three"

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=26559

Spoiler:

Hickman and Epting together! Very Happy *does happy dance*

Joins in happy dance! thumbs up

73Fantastic Four - Page 3 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:08 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^Apparently there's no need to spoiler that image like I did cuz there are several different images like it with different FF members. They say it's not a spoiler to the story.

Fantastic Four - Page 3 Fantastic-four-vol-3-20100607025145

*continues happy dance*

74Fantastic Four - Page 3 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:52 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

FF #580

The best issue of FF in a while--despite the last several being outstanding--perhaps because of so how unpredictable Hickman's plotting is. It really is stellar. And, like many have stated in reviews this week Neil Edwards deserves an award. For a "fill-in" artist the man has really went above and beyond the call of duty. The big news about the excellent Steve Epting joining FF wasn't as big when the title's already got art like this. I'm so wondering what's going to happen to Ben next... Oh, and these solicits above me are starting to make more sense when you read the "fun" section of the issue.

4/5

75Fantastic Four - Page 3 Empty Re: Fantastic Four Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:54 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Fantastic Four #580

Hickman has been doing a great job with this title so far. I think it was nice to continue to set up the main plot while having a little bit of side adventure to keep readers attentions that may have been dissatisfied with the story driven content. The art in the book is fun and totally suitable for the story. I didn’t expect Arcade or Impossible Man to make an appearance in a FF book, but Hickman made it work.

I knew something was up from the beginning though when you see Franklin reading and advertisement for Arcade’s toys. It was a little predictable from then on. But two other things were going on in this book. One of them left me scratching my head and the other just proved that Reed’s thoughts about the scientific community in the previous issue applied also to himself.

We are treated to a spread of 6 panels in the middle of the book that takes place in the future and on Nu-Earth. It seems to be more set up for the coming War of Four Cities story. The clincher for me that peaks my interest is the mention of the Maestro.

Reed is also working with his new science club on their first project. He was amazed on what they chose to tackle first and for anybody that is a fan of FF the implications are kind of a big and make total logical sense in the big picture of things. I can’t wait to see what else Dragon Man and these kids take on in the future, especially if they are willing to go after Reed’s past failings right of the bat.

I say this almost every review I do on the book. Hickman made FF interesting for me. This is a great story. Though, because of all the set up, people that hunger for constant action in their books may just want to pick it up in trade. If you are part of that group, put Hickman’s FF trades on your buy list, you won’t be disappointed.

4 out of 5 Hungry Plush Dinosaurs

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum