Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

GI Joe: Rise of Cobra

+22
FroZen
Spider_Fan14
melvinlikechris
Gandicles
jaydee74
Airwolf
alucardbarnivous
Ben Akers
rwe1138
slacker jedi
BlueMaxx
Lee
shining knight
Thundermatts
Joshua
Mnemosis
The_Donster
supervenom
Debaser77
Astro13Zombie
The Ignored One
Silent K
26 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26GI Joe:  Rise of Cobra - Page 2 Empty Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:27 am

Ben Akers

Ben Akers
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

Was I entertained? Yep.

Generally that makes a movie worth the entry price. Of course, I never was much of a Joe fan growing up, so perhaps ignorance is bliss.

27GI Joe:  Rise of Cobra - Page 2 Empty Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:29 pm

slacker jedi

slacker jedi
Cadet
Cadet

just found this thought i would share
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/076041c13b/the-ballad-of-g-i-joe

http://www.whyarewefriends.com

28GI Joe:  Rise of Cobra - Page 2 Empty Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:26 pm

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

That guy's review angers me...

29GI Joe:  Rise of Cobra - Page 2 Empty Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:33 pm

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

Let me elaborate and elucidate. The guy at Topless Robot misses a few key things:

- Rex is a scientific genius who, thanks to the accident that nearly killed him, ends up unfettering his intellect from the morals that restrain us all.
- Rex ends up partnered with James McCullen because he needs McCullen's resources.
- The Vipers are so named because they are Rex's project. Rex CLEARLY has a hard on for snakes, and the King Cobra in particular (maybe because his name is Rex?)
- The attack on Paris, and the other capitols, is MERELY a means to an end - terrifying the populace and creating an opening for Zartan to take the place of the President.
- It's called the Rise of Cobra because we're seeing Rex make the move from lying in wait as "The Doctor" to taking leadership as "The Commander"

The movie has plenty of flaws - the flashback, the CGI, the history rewrites, and everything about the accelerator suits. But the above elements? Pure win, in my book. Don't dumb them down to make the movie seem worse than it is.

30GI Joe:  Rise of Cobra - Page 2 Empty Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:56 pm

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

slacker jedi wrote:just found this thought i would share
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/076041c13b/the-ballad-of-g-i-joe

Saw that a few days ago; it's made of win.

http://blog.myspace.com/alucardbarnivous

31GI Joe:  Rise of Cobra - Page 2 Empty Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:20 pm

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

rwe1138 wrote:Topless Robot's G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra F.A.Q.

Warning for spoilers.

Laughing

http://blog.myspace.com/alucardbarnivous

32GI Joe:  Rise of Cobra - Page 2 Empty Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:58 am

Airwolf

Airwolf
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

i saw it at the midnight showing during con

i enjoyed it - it was a movie version which lol pretty much usually is not part of any timeline or storyline other than its own

so i took that for what it is and i saw it a 2nd time here in toronto with my friends. it was entertaining and a fun movie. it sucks that all these g i joe fans have wayyyyyyyyyy too much expectations for a film. didnt u guys learn from v for vendetta or even the first hulk movie lol

n e ways - just saying this movie was pretty good - cant wait till a good copy is available for sharing

33GI Joe:  Rise of Cobra - Page 2 Empty Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:33 am

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'm gonna try to see this next Tuesday when I can see it for free.

34GI Joe:  Rise of Cobra - Page 2 Empty Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:34 am

Gandicles

Gandicles
Ninja
Ninja

I was thoroughly entertained.

I went in expecting a stupid-fun action flick, and G.I. Joe delivered.

35GI Joe:  Rise of Cobra - Page 2 Empty Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:37 pm

melvinlikechris

melvinlikechris
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Just got back from seeing it. It was bad but in a 'so bad its good kind of way.'

36GI Joe:  Rise of Cobra - Page 2 Empty Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:22 pm

melvinlikechris

melvinlikechris
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

'G.I. Joe' was the greatest live action adaptation of 'Team America' ever.

37GI Joe:  Rise of Cobra - Page 2 Empty GI Joe Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:19 pm

Spider_Fan14

Spider_Fan14
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ben Akers wrote:Was I entertained? Yep.

Generally that makes a movie worth the entry price. Of course, I never was much of a Joe fan growing up, so perhaps ignorance is bliss.

same here ankers, i was pretty entertained at this, much better then what i thought. Some things like Baroness not being a villain i didn't like but i really liked it.

38GI Joe:  Rise of Cobra - Page 2 Empty Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:19 am

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

melvinlikechris wrote:'G.I. Joe' was the greatest live action adaptation of 'Team America' ever.

QFT!!!

39GI Joe:  Rise of Cobra - Page 2 Empty Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:09 pm

FroZen

FroZen
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Hopefully gonna see this over the weekend sometime. I'm not going into it thinking that it will be the G.I. Joe I grew up with so I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it. My son will prolly love it since he doesn't really know what G.I. Joe is. His mind has been warped by all the import toys and cartoons. (I should go rent some of the old G.I. Joe cartoons and show him what's what.)

40GI Joe:  Rise of Cobra - Page 2 Empty Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:56 pm

Lee

Lee
Administrator
Administrator

GI Joe:  Rise of Cobra - Page 2 20090817ripcord

Heh.

http://www.leerodriguez.net

41GI Joe:  Rise of Cobra - Page 2 Empty Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:24 pm

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

Y'know, Shortpacked would be funnier if it were funny.

42GI Joe:  Rise of Cobra - Page 2 Empty Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:52 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven

I say they should reshoot G.I. Joe and replace all the Joes with Nicolas Cage and all the Cobra characters with Christopher Walken. There's your G.I. Joe movie, my friend.

43GI Joe:  Rise of Cobra - Page 2 Empty Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:49 pm

Astro13Zombie

Astro13Zombie
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Debaser77 wrote:I say they should reshoot G.I. Joe and replace all the Joes with Nicolas Cage and all the Cobra characters with Christopher Walken. There's your G.I. Joe movie, my friend.
lol! lol! lol!

44GI Joe:  Rise of Cobra - Page 2 Empty Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:31 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I liked it. I was never much of a GI Joe fan growing up. I watched the 80s toon a little, and had some of the toys (they were my friends brothers old ones), so I didn't have any emotional attachment to the property. So anything they changed was fine with me. I didn't feel like it raped my childhood or anything.

I figured out the whole Max twist like immediately (granted it was pretty obvious). As well as the Baroness mind control thing.

I will say the lips on Snake Eyes looked dumb.

I actually liked the Delta 6 Accelerator Suits.

I, like others, was hoping for a PSA. Oh well.

I did like how they added certain things into the movie (kung fu grip, A Real American Hero, knowing is half the battle).

45GI Joe:  Rise of Cobra - Page 2 Empty Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:16 pm

melvinlikechris

melvinlikechris
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

The nanobites reminded me of the worms from the Futurama episode: 'Parasites Lost'

46GI Joe:  Rise of Cobra - Page 2 Empty Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:52 pm

Astro13Zombie

Astro13Zombie
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I just watched a few parts of it......i hated the way it looked when destro was talking with the mask on.

47GI Joe:  Rise of Cobra - Page 2 Empty Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:28 am

The_Donster

The_Donster
Pirate
Pirate

Still haven't had a chance to see this. It kind of blows me away how folks take things so seriously when it comes to properties like this though hmm Like I said in an earlier post, it's a #@&%ing popcorn movie. But Donster, it's not like the comics I read or the cartoons I watched, let alone how I made up stories when playing with my GI Joe figures with my best bud Timmy Rolling Eyes Honestely, sometime I think folks take the opposing side to argue Shocked

48GI Joe:  Rise of Cobra - Page 2 Empty Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:48 am

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

The_Donster wrote:Still haven't had a chance to see this. It kind of blows me away how folks take things so seriously when it comes to properties like this though hmm Like I said in an earlier post, it's a #@&%ing popcorn movie. But Donster, it's not like the comics I read or the cartoons I watched, let alone how I made up stories when playing with my GI Joe figures with my best bud Timmy Rolling Eyes Honestely, sometime I think folks take the opposing side to argue Shocked

Agreed, GI Joe the cartoon (and often the comic) was never very serious, so sure, the movie should be equally "fun". But some of the liberties taken with storyline and characters would bother even the most casual GI Joe fan. For as much as they got right, there was just as much they got wrong, and was not the level of quality I expected from a GI Joe movie. I hope for better in regards to a sequel.

49GI Joe:  Rise of Cobra - Page 2 Empty Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:24 am

The_Donster

The_Donster
Pirate
Pirate

I hear ya K, my buddy, who is a huge Joe fan was very disappointed. The sad thing is, Hama actually reviewed the script for the writers and gave them notes on what worked and what didn't. I can't remember if I read that in one of the Wizard magazines or Entertainment Weekly though unsure Honestely though, I should have stayed away from threads in regards to the movie, as most of the comments in various boards have taken the piss out of watching it dry On the opposite side of the spectrum (according to most sites/friends), I've heard great things about District 9 and will probable will wait until it comes out on dvd and rent it yikes

50GI Joe:  Rise of Cobra - Page 2 Empty Re: GI Joe: Rise of Cobra Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:04 am

Lee

Lee
Administrator
Administrator

Astro13Zombie wrote:I just watched a few parts of it......i hated the way it looked when destro was talking with the mask on.
What? You didn't like his one line in the mask? Laughing

http://www.leerodriguez.net

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum