Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot

+24
Spaced4SimonPegg
(._Y_.)
pink*lantern
shining knight
prescribeddrone
wickidchyld
Off_White_Lantern
potatojoe
Thundermatts
jaydee74
Chi-Town Spidey
Joshua
Batman25JM
Metal Misfit
The_Donster
shark6495
alucardbarnivous
The Ignored One
Bigtymin504
melvinlikechris
Debaser77
BlueMaxx
Silent K
ChrisToPhenom
28 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Who's Team Are You On?

Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Vote_lcap94%Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Vote_rcap 94% [ 30 ]
Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Vote_lcap3%Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Vote_rcap 3% [ 1 ]
Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Vote_lcap3%Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Vote_rcap 3% [ 1 ]
Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Vote_lcap0%Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 32

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 9]

1Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Empty Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:07 pm

ChrisToPhenom

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

NBC has offered him either to accept the hour-long 12:05am time slot, or the option to leave the network for another. If Conan chooses to leave, Leno will regain the Tonight Show title as well as the full time slot 11:35pm to 12:35pm. Another theoretical possibility is that NBC could pay O'Brien to refrain from working for another network, remain off-air, then have him resume as host once Leno retires but non-compete clauses are illegal and unenforceable in both California and New York. The day after the change was announced, the New York Times spoke with an anonymous Fox executive, who said that the company feels O'Brien "would be a great fit for Fox. On the night of January 8th, though O'Brien spoke only of "rumors" during that night's broadcast of The Tonight Show, Jimmy Fallon referred to an "announcement" by NBC that the changes would occur, specifically referring to Late Night moving to 1:05am and Leno moving to the 11:30 timeslot.

I don't know about you all but I'm a huge Conan fan and this makes me furious but actually, I think Fox would be a nice vibe for Conan...what do you all think?

Last edited by ChrisToPhenom on Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:13 am; edited 2 times in total

2Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:09 pm

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

This is all still up in the air as far as I've read.

3Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:21 pm

ChrisToPhenom

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Silent K wrote:This is all still up in the air as far as I've read.
Probably is but almost every show yesterday was talking about it. I like them both but I didn't know this would occur..maybe Jay's show to be canceled but not this.

4Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:25 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I keep forgetting Leno still has a show. But on the flipside, I honestly haven't been watching much of Conan since he's switched timeslots.

5Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:37 am

Debaser77

Debaser77
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven

Leno must have some compromising pictures of some high-ranking NBC execs. His show is losing viewers left and right, and they're still wanting to keep him on the air.

6Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:43 pm

melvinlikechris

melvinlikechris
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

whats NBC?

7Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:46 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I feel bad for Conan, he really got screwed in all this. Leno is pulling a Brett Favre.

8Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:03 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ya, but Conan feels different. Like he did water some things down. He had to get rid of Masturbating Bear, didn't he? Among other things.

9Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:18 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

BlueMaxx wrote:Ya, but Conan feels different. Like he did water some things down. He had to get rid of Masturbating Bear, didn't he? Among other things.
Yeah, which is a shame. He probably felt he had to cuz the Tonight Show audience is a lot older than the Late Night audience...the old farts watch Tonight then head to bed.

10Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:56 pm

The Ignored One

The Ignored One
Zombie
Zombie

http://www.thrfeed.com/2010/01/nbc-press-tour-executive-session-live-blog.html

Hopefully Conan goes to Fox at this point.

http://entertainmentdeficitdisorder.wordpress.com/

11Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:50 pm

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Complete and utter bullshit, Conan doesn't deserve this.

http://blog.myspace.com/alucardbarnivous

12Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:04 pm

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

First off in defense of Leno, I dont think he is doing a Bret Favre.... NBC foolishly promised Conan the Tonight Show before Leno was even thinking of leaving. NBC wanted to keep Leno because Leno said he would go to a competing network, and NBC knew it would destroy their ratings. So what they ended up doing was moving Leno to ten(instead of loosing him) and Conan to the tonight show. The idea was, they were both number one, their ratings would follow them. Well it turns out (like many in tv land predicted) the ten o'clock spot would not do well with a comedy. Dramas live at ten. So Leno lost many viewers, the people who would have watched leno at 1130 turn to Letterman, and the audience who viewed the untamed Conan did not like Jimmy Fallon. Fallon is a great comedy writer, but just cant produce on air (i dont think). So the Audience then switched to CBS. NBC had great night viewing audiences but as of right now they have managed to cut their own wrists..... There is no good way to end this for anyone involved. Leno's audience will probably not return to the 1130 slot (but they may) and Conan has lost his audience......
NBC has not made many good moves over the last 4 years in tv......

http://whiskeytangofoxtrott.blogspot.com/

13Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:03 am

The_Donster

The_Donster
Pirate
Pirate

Whether you like Leno or Conan or the retirement was forced is irrelevant, it's a bit of a dick move on NBC & Jay's part. Johnny didn't go out and start another show very similiar to his old show. Not to mentin this basically killed their affiliates programming, as well as their own. Jay had the opportunity to take the high road and instead took the money.

14Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:34 am

Metal Misfit

Metal Misfit
Zombie
Zombie

alucardbarnivous wrote:Complete and utter bullshit, Conan doesn't deserve this.

Yep. This "rumor" is more than likely how it's going to play out. Conan got screwed from the get-go. NBC hedged their bets by keeping Jay around and I think Conan was basically set up to fail because he still had to follow Jay every night, who still had what was being treated as the "A-show". Jay's been pretty bitchy right before and since the move in interviews about Conan.

If Conan agrees to the move (which I've read NBC is contracted to pay him millions for), hopefully this will knock "Captain Uncharisma" Carson Daly off NBC. I've also read Fox is an option for Conan. Not sure if that would be a good idea. First, I have no faith in late night Fox programming and secondly, Conan would get killed going head-to-head against Jay and Dave (unless they do a 10pm airing, which Fox has been looking into).

http://metalmisfit.wordpress.com

15Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:50 am

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Metal the only problem with doing ten pm programming, is more than likely it would be optional for many of the local fox stations. When a station becomes a local affiliate, they sign a contract agreeing to certain things. In this case many, if not all, Fox stations have signed contracts guaranteeing them the ten oclock spot for a local news show. The ten oclock news is the local fox' bread and butter. People watch the ten news when they dont want to stay up late.....

Now in researching a bit about the Late Night show with Johnny Carson, it looks like Jay Leno burnt a bridge there too.... I know last night I posted not to blame Leno, but the more that I think about this I think the blame lands squarely on both NBC and Leno

16Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:57 pm

Metal Misfit

Metal Misfit
Zombie
Zombie

Yeah, I'm aware of the affiliate 10 PM issue, but I read recently that Fox was considering broadcasting during that hour. Probably wouldn't go over too well, but what do I care? :P

17Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:45 pm

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Lol Metal, if you are like me you only care if it affects your directly...... lol

18Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:07 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'm actually fine with this. I don't like Conan at all. I much prefer Leno.

19Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:38 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Letter from Conan (O'Brien, not Barbarian): http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/12/conan-obrien-says-he-wont-do-tonight-show-following-leno/

People of Earth:

In the last few days, I’ve been getting a lot of sympathy calls, and I want to start by making it clear that no one should waste a second feeling sorry for me. For 17 years, I’ve been getting paid to do what I love most and, in a world with real problems, I’ve been absurdly lucky. That said, I’ve been suddenly put in a very public predicament and my bosses are demanding an immediate decision.

Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show in June of 2009. Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Johnny Carson every night and the chance to one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me. I worked long and hard to get that opportunity, passed up far more lucrative offers, and since 2004 I have spent literally hundreds of hours thinking of ways to extend the franchise long into the future. It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both.

But sadly, we were never given that chance. After only seven months, with my Tonight Show in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime-time by making a change in their long-established late night schedule.

Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move the Tonight Show to 12:05 to accommodate the Jay Leno Show at 11:35. For 60 years the Tonight Show has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the Tonight Show into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. The Tonight Show at 12:05 simply isn’t the Tonight Show. Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the Late Night show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy.

So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of The Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesn’t matter. But with the Tonight Show, I believe nothing could matter more.

There has been speculation about my going to another network but, to set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work.

Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it’s always been that way.

Yours,

Conan

20Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:44 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven

Conan's a classy dude...he's thinking of the integrity of the show over his own ego. Take that, you lantern-jawed freak!

21Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:20 pm

ChrisToPhenom

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Joshua wrote:Letter from Conan (O'Brien, not Barbarian): http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/12/conan-obrien-says-he-wont-do-tonight-show-following-leno/

People of Earth:

In the last few days, I’ve been getting a lot of sympathy calls, and I want to start by making it clear that no one should waste a second feeling sorry for me. For 17 years, I’ve been getting paid to do what I love most and, in a world with real problems, I’ve been absurdly lucky. That said, I’ve been suddenly put in a very public predicament and my bosses are demanding an immediate decision.

Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show in June of 2009. Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Johnny Carson every night and the chance to one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me. I worked long and hard to get that opportunity, passed up far more lucrative offers, and since 2004 I have spent literally hundreds of hours thinking of ways to extend the franchise long into the future. It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both.

But sadly, we were never given that chance. After only seven months, with my Tonight Show in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime-time by making a change in their long-established late night schedule.

Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move the Tonight Show to 12:05 to accommodate the Jay Leno Show at 11:35. For 60 years the Tonight Show has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the Tonight Show into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. The Tonight Show at 12:05 simply isn’t the Tonight Show. Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the Late Night show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy.

So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of The Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesn’t matter. But with the Tonight Show, I believe nothing could matter more.

There has been speculation about my going to another network but, to set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work.

Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it’s always been that way.

Yours,

Conan
Hahaha! "I'm truly sorry about my hair; it's always been that way." Yeah, it must grow a different direction than normal. Well, this is nice to know he's not angry about the change but he seems lost-I hope he finds where he belongs.

22Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:03 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Joshua wrote:Letter from Conan (O'Brien, not Barbarian): http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/12/conan-obrien-says-he-wont-do-tonight-show-following-leno/

People of Earth:

Yours,

Conan

Hell yeah! Nice to see Conan sticking by his principles and making a stand. NBC truly didn't give him a chance to succeed and now they're trying to demote him and the Tonight Show. Its just wrong.

23Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:30 pm

The_Donster

The_Donster
Pirate
Pirate

Well he was definitely making some jabs during the early part of his show last night. Whether I watch it or not, I'm going to be putting my station on NBC after 11 to support Conan and Jimmy. It will be a shame if they have to jump ship because of the mess over this.

24Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:37 pm

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Its not Conan's fault the ratings have slipped. He is right, the lack of a prime time schedule has hurt the late night showcase. Plus Conan has benefited from a younger audience.... I am glad to see he is sticking to his principles though.... Wish more people in tv would do such a thing

25Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:23 pm

Metal Misfit

Metal Misfit
Zombie
Zombie

Props to Conan for that statement.

Fuck Jay Leno. The guy is a selfish little bitch. I've never liked the guy, I've always thought he was fake and he's been really immature since NBC wouldn't let him back on the Tonight Show the first time he wanted it back.

It's been reported he's "furious" over his show getting canceled, but let's be real, he went on record MONTHS ago saying if NBC ever offered him the Tonight Show gig again, he'd take it. Well, I guess he's got no reason to be furious anymore. The jerk now has what he wanted.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 9]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum