Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot

+24
Spaced4SimonPegg
(._Y_.)
pink*lantern
shining knight
prescribeddrone
wickidchyld
Off_White_Lantern
potatojoe
Thundermatts
jaydee74
Chi-Town Spidey
Joshua
Batman25JM
Metal Misfit
The_Donster
shark6495
alucardbarnivous
The Ignored One
Bigtymin504
melvinlikechris
Debaser77
BlueMaxx
Silent K
ChrisToPhenom
28 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Who's Team Are You On?

Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 8 Vote_lcap94%Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 8 Vote_rcap 94% [ 30 ]
Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 8 Vote_lcap3%Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 8 Vote_rcap 3% [ 1 ]
Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 8 Vote_lcap3%Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 8 Vote_rcap 3% [ 1 ]
Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 8 Vote_lcap0%Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 8 Vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 32

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 9]

176Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 8 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:58 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^But Jay sticking around and keeping Conan in his shadow was not the class thing to do, stick to your word and leave the Tonight Show like you said you would. He did something similar with Letterman, he's passive aggressive like that. And Conan's poor initial ratings are partly the fault of NBC and its non-existant primetime lead-in. As any expert, a good primetime lead-in is a big part of late night ratings success.

I understand you like Jay, but you seriously can't think he was an angel in all this. I'm not demonizing the guy, but he definitely is partly responsible for this debacle. There's a reason why so many people in the industry are fed up with him antics.

Last edited by Bigtymin504 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

177Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 8 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:00 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ Holy! I was just about to post that same picture.

"His fault!" in unison.
Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 8 Jay-leno-and-conan-obrien

178Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 8 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:04 pm

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Batman25JM wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:
Batman25JM wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:
Batman25JM wrote:^Seriously, it seems ridiculous that everyone is demonizing Jay for no reason. What did he do that was so wrong? He took a job that was offered to him. He didn't go down there in a mask and steal the show from Conan like everyone seems to think he did. I'm not a big Conan fan, and yes I do like Leno, but I honestly think that everyone is falsely laying the blame on Leno. Conan seemed a little stubborn. He wouldn't compromise at all.

Leno went back on his word. Plain and simple. He said he would step aside and give Conan the reigns, yet he stuck around and passive aggressively weaseled the Tonight Show back. Conan did the principle thing by stepping aside to keep the Tonight Show in its historical time slot.

I never had a problem with Jay, always mildly enjoyed his show. I think NBC is mainly at fault for this debacle. But I'm not sure how you don't see that Jay was also in the wrong here.

But he didn't go back on his word. He gave Conan the Tonight Show even though he didn't want to. Leno wanted to do something TV-wise, and instead of having him go to a competing network NBC came up with the prime time show. Then when it didn't work out, and Conan's ratings were crap they tried to come up with a compromise. That didn't work, and NBC ended up asking him to come back, and he accepted. He didn't steal the job.

He gave him the Tonight Show with the intention of it being a passing of the torch. Then his primetime show horribly failed (which was partly responsible for news affiliates and Conan's ratings being low) and ultimately got back the Tonight Show. The class move for him would have been to step aside like he originally said he would. Conan was never given the chance to build an audience. Nobody's ratings are great when they start out, Jay's weren't either.

NBC wasn't happy with Conan's rating so they offered Jay the show back. I don't see why him accepting it is so evil. Conan wouldn't compromise. its not like Jay forced his way back in, Conan was bombing. Even if Jay hadn't accepted the offer it doesn't mean Conan would have stayed. They may have found someone else.

Like I said before, TV is more competitive today. Bad ratings are not put up with. Conan had 7 months to build an audience. That is more than most shows get.

From a former insider (worked at multiple affiliates of NBC) Tv is no more competitive than it was 5 years ago. When NBC handed over the reigns to the Tonight Show they had accepted some audience loss. However when they dropped the bomb on the local affiliates about the ten show many locals knew that our 11 ratings would drop, and they did. Bad ratings are put up with, unless they are at NBC where they do not give shows the time they need to gain an audience. You can look back at the NBC destroyed shows and see the destruction they have left. Leno pushed back at NBC and forced them basically to give him a show, the 10 pm show. WHich back fired horribly......

http://whiskeytangofoxtrott.blogspot.com/

179Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 8 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:12 am

Metal Misfit

Metal Misfit
Zombie
Zombie

Big Jaw Laughing Laughing

http://metalmisfit.wordpress.com

180Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 8 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:52 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

shark6495 wrote:
From a former insider (worked at multiple affiliates of NBC) Tv is no more competitive than it was 5 years ago. When NBC handed over the reigns to the Tonight Show they had accepted some audience loss. However when they dropped the bomb on the local affiliates about the ten show many locals knew that our 11 ratings would drop, and they did. Bad ratings are put up with, unless they are at NBC where they do not give shows the time they need to gain an audience. You can look back at the NBC destroyed shows and see the destruction they have left. Leno pushed back at NBC and forced them basically to give him a show, the 10 pm show. WHich back fired horribly......
Well said. Black Donnellys seemed like a good show, and Clerks and God, the Devil, and Bob seemed like they were kind of funny. I'm sure there are a handful of others. FOX is the worst at cancelling, but NBC has had its fair share.

181Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 8 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:26 pm

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

shark6495 wrote:Will in fairness, Leno was not doing well when he first started. Leno was able to keep his ratings up because his show catered to middle ground and he had prime time shows to lead into him. Yes Conan had poor ratings but he had no lead ins. This may or may not be an excuse but its also a fact.

Absolutely. This was a point made by Conan himself.

http://blog.myspace.com/alucardbarnivous

182Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 8 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:30 pm

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:
I never had a problem with Jay, always mildly enjoyed his show. I think NBC is mainly at fault for this debacle. But I'm not sure how you don't see that Jay was also in the wrong here.

IMHO, Leno can climb a wall of dicks.

183Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 8 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:48 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ Cock-climbing. lol!

184Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 8 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:00 pm

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Slippery rock?

185Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 8 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:16 pm

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Shows that I can just think of off the top of my head that NBC canceled that was just dumb, imho, Kings, Southland, Life, Knight Rider(well they messed up the whole show by screwing with everything after the movie premier), My Name is Earl, My Own Worst Enemy (good idea but they buried the show), Las Vegas.. Not Counting the shows that failed miserably before they even tried, Bionic Woman, American Gladiators (oh Hulk Hogan), Howie Do It, Singing Bee, countless reality shows that just would never end. Then NBC moved Law and Order: CI to USA, ended ER.... it makes me wonder who is making decisions over there. Whats funny is Southland got moved to TNT. The show Kings would have been an excellent Monday night show after Heroes, since its a "fantasy type show" that would have worked at 10 pm. All NBC had to do was promote it better, instead they ran some stupid promos about butterflies, instead of mentioning it was a modern take on David and Goliath and etc. ER ended because it ran its course but it still had its many viewers..... My Own Worst Enemy was beginning to find its footing when it got canned..... Man I hate NBC even more right now, I am glad I quit tv lol....

186Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 8 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:55 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ I honestly had no idea My Name is Earl was cancelled. I enjoyed it, but never kept with it. And all those other shows are boring looking. So, maybe they were just bad. don't know Heh.

187Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 8 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:11 pm

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

^ I wouldnt say all of the shows were boring, but NBC should have done promoting better... But then again maybe I have weird tastes.... But the funny part is NBC has some good shows on USA that would have done great in Prime Time.... so who knows

188Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 8 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:09 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ I've notice the time-jumbles seem like it is intentionally trying to ruin shows when networks do that.

189Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 8 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:18 pm

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Wha? My head hurts so I am not thinking straight but I dont understand that sentence^^^ sorry Sad

190Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 8 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:02 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ Me gramer no gooed. Heh. I just meant that the networks sometimes will mess around with the timeslots of shows in a seemingly intentional manner to kill the show.

191Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 8 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:19 pm

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Haha oh yea. For example, the show Kings. I watched it (because I had to, at first, because of commercial plugging etc) on like 3 different days at a multiple of times over the course of one season. First they promote a show poorly, again kings example, they just put butterflies on the screen. Then they move it around with out telling anyone and they wonder why no one watches it. It was like the Jay Leno show. No one knew what kind of show he was going to have but we knew when it was going to be. Ten pm every night. However I do not remember one single promo for the Tonight Show with Conan. They wonder why the shows do poorly? They have no one to blame but themselves......

192Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 8 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:25 pm

Chi-Town Spidey

Chi-Town Spidey
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Yahoo!

Conan on Fox.

https://www.facebook.com/people/Chi-Town-Spidey/1331652244

193Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 8 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:28 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'll wait until an agreement is reached and officially announced before I get excited.

194Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 8 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:30 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ "We had a feeling it would work out this way!!

After weeks of speculation, insiders are now reporting that Conan O'Brien is in serious talks with Fox to create a new late night show for the giant ginge, and it's only a matter of weeks before formal meetings begin.

Although no one is talking about it openly, both are extremely serious about launching a new show by January at the latest, but given the overly publicized nature of the NBC disaster, are treading very lately and taking quite a few factors into consideration before a deal is reached.

News Corp. chief Rupert Murdoch said last week:

"Certainly if the program people can show us that we could do it, and be fairly confident of making a profit on it, we'd do it in a flash. We're giving it a lot of thought and a lot of examination."

We can't imagine Fox venturing into late night talk with Conan would be anything BUT a success, but seeing how badly screwed Conan was on NBC, we're glad that both sides are taking the discussions very seriously and with clear, open communication!!

That's the way to do business!!

What do U think? Will U watch Conan if he's on Fox???"

Like most, figured as much. I guessed Fox, maybe ABC, and with a tiny expectation for Comedy Central. But this could be fun. I mean, what does Fox do after primetime other than reruns?

195Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 8 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:12 pm

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

well blue its not Fox who runs the reruns but its the individual tv stations. they are usually very profitable for the local tv stations. So just because you see the simpsons at 11 in Cincinnati does not mean you will see the same ep or even the same show in Cleveland. But it would be an interesting step as Fox continues to become a more "legitimate" network....

196Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 8 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:17 pm

CherriesJubilee

CherriesJubilee
Pirate
Pirate

I would watch Conan over Leno and Letterman EVERY day of the week....love him!!!

197Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 8 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:53 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ yes

shark6495 wrote:well blue its not Fox who runs the reruns but its the individual tv stations. they are usually very profitable for the local tv stations. So just because you see the simpsons at 11 in Cincinnati does not mean you will see the same ep or even the same show in Cleveland. But it would be an interesting step as Fox continues to become a more "legitimate" network....
Didn't know that. Thought it was just local news that was different. I get Simpsons and Family Guy and others that I can't remember. I watch the Simpsons reruns whenever there is nothing else on. Thing is, they never show the old episodes. Like seasons 3-9. Kills me.

198Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 8 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:00 pm

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Yeah I believe the hours of local programming on fox stations are this: 10pm till 8pm the next day. So really nationally fox only has 2 hours "national" broadcasting each day. For example in Columbus the simpsons run for 2 hours (4-6) monday through friday... And where I live now the ten pm news is on for 1 hour followed by an hour of seinfeld... some fox stations do not have a local news pressence (see Big Fox in Corning/Elmira NY)

199Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 8 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:41 am

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

when the hell did Carrot top get built like an outside linebacker?

200Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 8 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:43 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ Pssst. They're implants.
Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 8 -2404-gup
Possibly some hard work, but a good chance of steroids. Not gossip bullshit. The guy has unnatural musculature.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum