Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot

+24
Spaced4SimonPegg
(._Y_.)
pink*lantern
shining knight
prescribeddrone
wickidchyld
Off_White_Lantern
potatojoe
Thundermatts
jaydee74
Chi-Town Spidey
Joshua
Batman25JM
Metal Misfit
The_Donster
shark6495
alucardbarnivous
The Ignored One
Bigtymin504
melvinlikechris
Debaser77
BlueMaxx
Silent K
ChrisToPhenom
28 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Who's Team Are You On?

Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 5 Vote_lcap94%Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 5 Vote_rcap 94% [ 30 ]
Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 5 Vote_lcap3%Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 5 Vote_rcap 3% [ 1 ]
Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 5 Vote_lcap3%Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 5 Vote_rcap 3% [ 1 ]
Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 5 Vote_lcap0%Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 5 Vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 32

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 9]

101Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 5 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:50 am

The Ignored One

The Ignored One
Zombie
Zombie

I may make fun of Rosie, but damn does she have a nice take on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ2fZH2XqNw&feature=related

http://entertainmentdeficitdisorder.wordpress.com/

102Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 5 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:50 am

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Joshua wrote:That's not what happened, or at least, that's not my understanding of what happened. If I've confused the fact, someone please correct me.

The way I know it is that back in 2005 or so, Jay Leno announced he was retiring from The Tonight Show. Conan had turned down numerous jobs (and some that payed well beyond what NBC would pay him) because he was essentially being groomed to take Jay's spot when he finally decided to call it quits. With Jay announcing his retirement NBC wisely filled that position with Conan. So far, everything is hunky dory.

Then, for reasons only Jay Leno knows, he decided he wasn't ready to quit and NBC decided to give him a prime time talk show. Jay's show from the very beginning received poor reception from critics and audiences alike and his poor performance impacted everyone who followed him. With Jay's ratings as poor as they were NBC knew they needed to change up their prime time slot, but rather than risk losing Jay to another network decided to bump The Tonight Show half an hour (which bumps every program that follows) so that Jay's show can air at 11:35 EST. This isn't just NBC screwing Conan, but as Conan pointed out, they're messing with a decades-long tradition of The Tonight Show airing at 11:35 EST. This means Jimmy Fallon won't come on until 1:00 EST and poor Carson Daly won't be on until 4 in the morning.

While there are people who are railing against Jay Leno, most of the backlash that I have witnessed has not been at any single person, but rather the incompetent fucks running NBC. I do think some of the venom that is being aimed at Leno is because rather than saying to NBC, "Hey, don't bump these other shows for me," he's just sitting back and letting it happen. I don't think Jay is a bad guy, but he could certainly be more pro-active in looking out for his late show peers.

This is my understanding as well.

http://blog.myspace.com/alucardbarnivous

103Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 5 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:55 am

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Conan said tonight viewership is up 50% since this fiasco began. NBC's best move would probably be to let him rake them over the coals and give Conan the ability to make the Tonight Show a force again.

BTW, love the jab about the car and Satisfaction bit. lol

104Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 5 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:18 am

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Well they just reported on CBS this morning that the sticking point about Conan's severance was how was NBC going to take care of his crew. Evidently Conan was not 100 percent happy with the NBC severance and has decided to supplement that pay of his crew out of his own pocket.

http://whiskeytangofoxtrott.blogspot.com/

105Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 5 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:31 am

ChrisToPhenom

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

News-

NBC said Thursday it has reached a $45 million deal with Conan O'Brien for his exit from the "Tonight" show, allowing Jay Leno to return to the late-night program he hosted for 17 years.

Under the deal, which came seven months after O'Brien took the reins from Leno, O'Brien will get more than $33 million, NBC said. The rest will go to his staff in severance, the network said in an announcement on the "Today" show.

His final show will be Friday, and Leno will return to "Tonight" on March 1.

"In the end, Conan was appreciative of the steps NBC made to take care of his staff and crew, and decided to supplement the severance they were getting out of his own pocket," his manager, Gavin Polone, told The Wall Street Journal. "Now he just wants to get back on the air as quickly as possible."

O'Brien will be free to begin another TV job as soon as September, NBC said. There has been speculation on where he might go next. ABC (which airs "Nightline" and "Jimmy Kimmel Live!") has said it wasn't interested, while Fox, which lacks a network late-night show, expressed appreciation for his show — but nothing more.

O'Brien landed the "Tonight" show after successfully hosting "Late Night," which airs an hour later, since 1993. But he quickly stumbled in the ratings race against his CBS rival, David Letterman.

Under Leno, the "Tonight" show was the ratings champ at 11:35 p.m. Eastern, but he proved an instant flop with his experiment in prime time.

Last week NBC announced that the five-hour vacancy in prime time left by Leno will be filled by scripted and reality fare calculated to bring NBC affiliates a more robust lead-in audience for their local news than Leno had been delivering. A provisional slate of shows will include new and veteran NBC dramas, a comedy panel series produced by Jerry Seinfeld and "Dateline NBC."

It had been no secret that the 46-year-old O'Brien was scoring puny ratings numbers on "Tonight," averaging 2.5 million nightly viewers, compared with 4.2 million for Letterman's "Late Show," according to Nielsen figures.

It was even more obvious that "The Jay Leno Show," airing weeknights at 10 p.m. Eastern, was a disaster. Mostly justified by the network for its bargain-basement production budget, it not only was critically slammed, but also found a disappointing popular reaction. It has averaged 5.3 million nightly viewers since its fall debut — about the same number that watched Leno's final "Tonight" season, in a time slot when far fewer viewers are available. By comparison, the season's top-rated 10 p.m. network drama, CBS' "The Mentalist," has an average audience of 17 million.

But few observers expected the abrupt upheaval that erupted publicly just two weeks ago, when two Web sites posted unsourced stories that the 59-year-old Leno's show would soon be canceled or moved into O'Brien's late-night domain.

Days later, NBC executives unveiled a plan to restore Leno to 11:35 p.m. with a half-hour program, then slide O'Brien's "Tonight Show" to 12:05 a.m., followed by "Late Night With Jimmy Fallon," also pushed back a half-hour.

Disgruntled affiliate stations, which have lost viewers and advertising revenue for their late local newscasts since "The Jay Leno Show" premiered, appeared to spur NBC's sudden changes. The 210 local NBC stations saw their late news audience drop, on average, by 25 percent in November compared with the previous year among desirable 25- to 54-year-old viewers, with the Leno experiment costing the stations collectively $22 million over a three-month period, according to the research firm Harmelin Media.

In a clear vote of no confidence, some rebellious stations were threatening to drop "The Jay Leno Show" and air their own programming.

The network had been counting on O'Brien's cooperation, and wanted an answer quickly, so it could have the configured lineup ready to launch after the Winter Olympics, which will dominate NBC's schedule from Feb. 12-28. But O'Brien threw a wrench into NBC's plans, and triggered a public relations firestorm for the network, when he issued a statement rejecting the offer to delay his show to make room for Leno's return.

O'Brien said that shifting "Tonight" would "seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting," and he declared his disappointment that NBC had given him less than a year to establish himself as host at 11:35 p.m.

The escalating mess furnished plenty of material for jokes by competitors of Leno and O'Brien, as well as the two NBC hosts at its center, who bashed their network and each other.

In one monologue, Leno took note of O'Brien's complaint that NBC brass provided only seven months to establish himself at "The Tonight Show."

"Seven months!" Leno cackled. "How did he get THAT deal? We only got four!"

Returning volley in his own monologue, O'Brien said hosting "Tonight" has been the fulfillment of a lifelong dream and reminded all the kids in the audience, "You can do anything you want in life. Unless Jay Leno wants to do it, too."

Online, many leaped to O'Brien's defense and applauded his stand against NBC. "Team Conan" became a popular Twitter topic for viewers who pledged their allegiance to O'Brien.

An O'Brien portrait also circulated as a badge of support. Referring to the "Tonight" show host's playful nickname, it read, "I'm With Coco," and featured a black-and-white picture of a regal-looking O'Brien standing in front of an American flag. The only color: his shock of orange hair.

For many observers, this clash of talk-show hosts recalled the late-night follies played out by NBC in the early 1990s as the network wavered confoundingly over who — Letterman or Leno — should inherit "The Tonight Show" from Johnny Carson.

The current revival of the late-night follies was set in motion nearly six years ago, in what was hatched by NBC executives as a farsighted strategy to ensure an orderly transition.

In the fall of 2004, the network announced that O'Brien would take over for Leno in 2009. That move by NBC — and endorsed by Leno, despite his clear aversion to leaving "Tonight" — was designed to keep O'Brien from jumping ship when his contract expired. "Tonight" was the prize O'Brien felt he had earned. He joked that he was looking forward to being on an hour earlier, "at a time when people can see me."

As years passed and Leno strengthened his grip as the late-night ratings champ, NBC anguished over how to keep him usefully occupied on the network somewhere other than "Tonight," and safely out of reach of rival networks who were courting him.

In late 2008, the network caught the public and the industry by surprise with its virtually unprecedented scheme: a new Leno hour "stripped" in prime time from Monday through Friday.

"A lot of people were shocked," Leno joked to reporters when the plan was announced. "They didn't know NBC still had a prime time."

106Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 5 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:43 am

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

So what will NBC do if Leno's ratings are still in the toilet?

107Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 5 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:10 pm

Chi-Town Spidey

Chi-Town Spidey
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Joshua wrote:So what will NBC do if Leno's ratings are still in the toilet?

cry....

https://www.facebook.com/people/Chi-Town-Spidey/1331652244

108Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 5 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:26 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

This so sucks for Conan. I wonder what he'll do.

109Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 5 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:37 pm

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

I mentioned this on Whitworth's Facebook, but the ideal scenario would be for Letterman to retire, give the reins to Conan, and then we get Conan vs. Leno!

110Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 5 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:44 pm

Spaced4SimonPegg

Spaced4SimonPegg
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Silent K wrote:I mentioned this on Whitworth's Facebook, but the ideal scenario would be for Letterman to retire, give the reins to Conan, and then we get Conan vs. Leno!

I'd like to see that match-up...I have never been a Letterman fan.

111Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 5 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:29 pm

(._Y_.)

(._Y_.)
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Spaced4SimonPegg wrote:
Silent K wrote:I mentioned this on Whitworth's Facebook, but the ideal scenario would be for Letterman to retire, give the reins to Conan, and then we get Conan vs. Leno!

I used to like Letterman quite a bit when I was in highschool.

112Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 5 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:53 pm

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

(._Y_.) wrote:
Spaced4SimonPegg wrote:

I used to like Letterman quite a bit when I was in highschool.

Letterman has said Conan was his heir, so who knows.... any one see this? Conan is taking his time just blowing up NBC budgets....

1.5 Million

113Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 5 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:03 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

shark6495 wrote: any one see this? Conan is taking his time just blowing up NBC budgets....

1.5 Million
This makes me so, so happy.

114Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 5 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:03 am

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

shark6495 wrote:Letterman has said Conan was his heir, so who knows.... any one see this? Conan is taking his time just blowing up NBC budgets....

1.5 Million

lmao

115Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 5 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:33 am

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

shark6495 wrote:

Letterman has said Conan was his heir, so who knows.... any one see this? Conan is taking his time just blowing up NBC budgets....

1.5 Million

I'm sorry, but I find that incredibly childish and wasteful.

116Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 5 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:44 am

potatojoe

potatojoe
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ That's exactly the same thing I said when I heard Leno was going back on the Tonight Show

117Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 5 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:39 am

wickidchyld

wickidchyld
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

*rimshot

http://twitter.com/wickidchyld

118Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 5 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:43 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Man, Conan's 4 and a half million trick towards NBC was fantastic. "Oh well." don't know Laughing

Last episode tomorrow night and I hope the ratings go past Chuck's so that Conan's ratings are like a middle finger to NBC when they look at their ratings chart.

119Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 5 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:09 am

jester

jester
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

I am completely on team coco!

120Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 5 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:36 am

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Batman25JM wrote:
shark6495 wrote:

1.5 Million

I'm sorry, but I find that incredibly childish and wasteful.

Thats usually why when people are let go they dont end up working for an extra week or two. If your work let you order food for free (for lunch), and then one day they were like "hey next friday is your last day." You may order more food or better food for lunch than you normally do. Instead of grilled cheese, you may order a roast beef sandwich or a Ceaser salad.... but yeah usually thats why employers dont keep people on and say "hey we are firing/releasing you in a week"

121Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 5 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:50 am

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I like Letterman. I don't want him to go but I would love to see Conan vs Leno as well. I love Conan. I will miss him on the Tonight Show.

122Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 5 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:15 pm

Metal Misfit

Metal Misfit
Zombie
Zombie

Joshua wrote:So what will NBC do if Leno's ratings are still in the toilet?

Won't happen. The old people that didn't "get" Conan will be back in full force.

Why eliminate Dave for no reason? Laughing Conan's going to be fine. This fall we're going to have Dave vs. Conan vs. Jay. Kimmell is still a nobody and they should still cancel the uncharismatic Carson Daly just for the heck of it. yes

If the timing of expiring contracts is worked out, I can see Dave maybe relinquishing the Late Show to Conan a few years from now (I would really hate to see Mr. Wick takeover). But then again, this whole situation is about Conan not wanting to follow anybody and be his own man. I think Dave renewed just in the last year or two.

http://metalmisfit.wordpress.com

123Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 5 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:54 pm

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 5 301njh1

124Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 5 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:14 pm

Chi-Town Spidey

Chi-Town Spidey
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

That's just awesome!

https://www.facebook.com/people/Chi-Town-Spidey/1331652244

125Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot - Page 5 Empty Re: Jay Leno Gets Back Conan's Time Slot Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:27 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Conan can work anywhere. The Finns love Conan. He looks like their president. Heh.

He can seriously do anything. Doesn't have to be another talkshow. He has so many connections and friends. Like everyone who comes on their says, he's going to do just fine.

Can't wait for tonight's exploits. I hope he costs them millions more like last night. Laughing

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum