Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Avengers Film Thread

+32
Gandicles
Airwolf
Thundermatts
Astro13Zombie
MikeSabian
Spazzy
G_Zatara
Denim
UltimateUltimacy
rwe1138
BlueMaxx
dmahoney
Janson
Foreigner_Man
TENIME_art
comicgeekelly
Administrator
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
supervenom
colossus1979
Paroxysm
Silent K
Batman25JM
Zeroskull21
Gojiratoho
DickGrayson007
Joshua
Sandman
Bigtymin504
jaydee74
MillionDollarGeek
ChrisToPhenom
36 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 10]

201The Avengers Film Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: The Avengers Film Thread Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:45 pm

G_Zatara

G_Zatara
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Jon didn't want to do the Avengers and had said as much before IM2 was finished.

202The Avengers Film Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: The Avengers Film Thread Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

G_Zatara wrote:Jon didn't want to do the Avengers and had said as much before IM2 was finished.

That's what I had heard from the beginning too. In the interviews I've read of his he seemed quite happy with his producer role in the Avengers movie, and looking forward to doing Iron Man 3. Like I said, this "insider's" info should be taken with a grain of salt until we get something more concrete.

203The Avengers Film Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: The Avengers Film Thread Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:06 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:
That said, if Favreau really did complain about Marvel's Avengers influence on Iron Man 2, I'm gonna go ahead and tell him to cry me a river. He knew damn well that this was the way things were gonna be.
I strongly disagree. Being coerced to fast-track production with an incomplete script is a poor way to handle a skilled director who put you on the map. Iron Man was a fantastic movie and it was clear that Jon Favreau knew what he was doing, he didn't need the studio to dictate how to make a movie. If Marvel wants to hire a director that just does what they say, maybe they should hire someone who lacks creative vision, like Brett Ratner. Had Iron Man 2 been as good a movie as the first, then talks of studio influence would have less merit, but that's just not the case. Iron Man 2 had a number of problems that only further support the allegations that Marvel interfered with Favreau's direction.

And as comic fans, we all want to see these movies share the same universe just like in the comics.
Speaking as a comic fan I love the idea of multiple movies sharing a universe, but not at the expense of quality. If Iron Man 2 is the caliber of movie we can expect with Marvel strong arming directors to fulfill their vision then I'd prefer independent movies.

I just wonder what Marvel Studios will do with this cohesive universe once the actors have to inevitably move on due to circumstances or age.
A very good question that I have yet to see anyone else raise. Typically you're not going to get an actor to commit to more than three movies. This cohesive universe that Marvel wants to execute, how long do they want to do it? And if they want an indefinite universe without reboots every decade, will they simply focus on different characters or will they switch actors? I don't think either of those solutions is bad, but it'd certainly be interesting to hear what kind of long term plans Marvel has for their film franchises.

204The Avengers Film Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: The Avengers Film Thread Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:14 pm

G_Zatara

G_Zatara
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

oh yeah this insider is full of it. plain and simple. we talked about this around the office today. I wouldn't worry.

205The Avengers Film Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: The Avengers Film Thread Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:18 pm

Thundermatts

Thundermatts
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

For the record, I liked Iron Man 2. A lot. A lot of people didn't. How come I haven't heard one person complain about that shitty screenwriter they threw on there. The dude who wrote the extremely overrated and unimpressive Tropic Thunder? Almost every crticism I've heard about the film can be traced back to the script. Of course, this being Hollywood, fifty diffeent people probabaly wrote it, but still.

206The Avengers Film Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: The Avengers Film Thread Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:45 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Joshua wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:
That said, if Favreau really did complain about Marvel's Avengers influence on Iron Man 2, I'm gonna go ahead and tell him to cry me a river. He knew damn well that this was the way things were gonna be.
I strongly disagree. Being coerced to fast-track production with an incomplete script is a poor way to handle a skilled director who put you on the map. Iron Man was a fantastic movie and it was clear that Jon Favreau knew what he was doing, he didn't need the studio to dictate how to make a movie. If Marvel wants to hire a director that just does what they say, maybe they should hire someone who lacks creative vision, like Brett Ratner. Had Iron Man 2 been as good a movie as the first, then talks of studio influence would have less merit, but that's just not the case. Iron Man 2 had a number of problems that only further support the allegations that Marvel interfered with Favreau's direction.

Studios fast-tracking successful movies' sequels has happened since the dawn of time basically, if Favreau is complaining about that (which who knows if he really even did) then he's in the wrong business. Besides, Favs didn't do it himself. Marvel Studios' creative input and respect for source material had a lot to do with Iron Man's huge success. If it were produced by another studio like Sony or God-forbid Fox, then I'm pretty sure it would have been crap or mediocre at best. Not to mention, RDJ was probably THE biggest reason for Iron Man becoming a breakout hit anyway.

Bigtymin504 wrote:And as comic fans, we all want to see these movies share the same universe just like in the comics.
Joshua wrote:Speaking as a comic fan I love the idea of multiple movies sharing a universe, but not at the expense of quality. If Iron Man 2 is the caliber of movie we can expect with Marvel strong arming directors to fulfill their vision then I'd prefer independent movies.

Well I just disagree with your take on Iron Man 2 I guess. I thought it was a great film. Maybe not as good as the first, which was just excellent, but still very good. And quite impressive too with what it accomplished. IMO if they keep this quality up then we're all in for an unprecedented treat.

Bigtymin504 wrote:I just wonder what Marvel Studios will do with this cohesive universe once the actors have to inevitably move on due to circumstances or age.
Joshua wrote:A very good question that I have yet to see anyone else raise. Typically you're not going to get an actor to commit to more than three movies. This cohesive universe that Marvel wants to execute, how long do they want to do it? And if they want an indefinite universe without reboots every decade, will they simply focus on different characters or will they switch actors? I don't think either of those solutions is bad, but it'd certainly be interesting to hear what kind of long term plans Marvel has for their film franchises.

Agreed. I'm really interested to see how they maneuver all that when the time comes. I'm guessing they would try to replace actors and keep the continuity as long as they can, but at some point I gotta imagine they would need to reboot. Another question is, will there still be such a demand for comicbook/superhero movies in 5-10 years? I'm thinking it will probably wane eventually and studios will naturally end up pulling things back a bit, Marvel Studios included.

207The Avengers Film Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: The Avengers Film Thread Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:42 am

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

Bigtymin504 wrote:
Well I think we should take this with a grain of salt for now, at least until someone either walks or is booted.

Ever hear the names Terrence Howard or Edward Norton?

As to Josh's question about actors leaving due to age...in this day (and age), we're less likely to see an actor ditch a franchise due to age, and instead, more commonly, because of creative differences, financial dealings, and fucking reboots.

I do not look forward to a Marvel Movie Universe without Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark. They can replace everyone else, but if Marvel manages to fuck this up...then nothing else really matters.

208The Avengers Film Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: The Avengers Film Thread Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:03 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Silent K wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:
Well I think we should take this with a grain of salt for now, at least until someone either walks or is booted.

Ever hear the names Terrence Howard or Edward Norton?

What's your point? To me, those seem like isolated instances anyway. Terrence Howard being an idiot and thinking he deserved to remain higher paid than RDJ, and Ed Norton living up to his reputation of being Incredibly (see what I did there Smile ) hard to work with and a control freak. Seems like everyone else working for Marvel Studios has been happy for the most part, like Branaugh, Johnston, RDJ, etc.

Plus, there were fairly recent reports from "reliable sources" that Chris Hemsworth and Anthony Hopkins had a huge fight on the set of Thor and that it threatened to derail production. That turned out to be total bullshit according to both actors, so you never know with these so-called feuds and disputes. The fact that no one else picked up this story kinda says something too.

209The Avengers Film Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: The Avengers Film Thread Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:08 am

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

My point being, there's a precedent. As much as I would like to believe right along side you that the Marvel Movie Universe is one big happy family, the seams are showing, and if there's any truth to this "insider report" that RDJ might be planning on walking, I'd say unequivocally that would be their biggest and most difficult loss in the entire Avengers/Marvel cast/crew. Is he irreplaceable? No. But I'd be hard pressed to forgive them.

210The Avengers Film Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: The Avengers Film Thread Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:25 am

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:
Studios fast-tracking successful movies' sequels has happened since the dawn of time basically, if Favreau is complaining about that (which who knows if he really even did) then he's in the wrong business.
Just because there is a precedent for studios making idiotic decisions doesn't mean those in the business have to happily oblige them or that what they're doing is even right. The first two Spider-man movies were mostly good because Sam Raimi was allowed to do what he wanted. The studio got involved with the third movie and churned out a complete turd. That's not the first instance of studio involvement torpedoing a project. By and large, when talented creative teams are given the freedom to make the movie they want we end up getting smashing successes, rather than the same bland, generic, formulaic crap studios are prone to produce when they take the reigns.

Have you ever been unhappy with your employer? Are you unjustified in your displeasure or in the wrong business simply because there's a history of employers doing shitty things? No. I don't think there's anything unrealistic about a director expecting to be given a certain amount of control over a project, since that's the job they were hired to do.

211The Avengers Film Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: The Avengers Film Thread Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:26 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Silent K wrote:My point being, there's a precedent. As much as I would like to believe right along side you that the Marvel Movie Universe is one big happy family, the seams are showing, and if there's any truth to this "insider report" that RDJ might be planning on walking, I'd say unequivocally that would be their biggest and most difficult loss in the entire Avengers/Marvel cast/crew. Is he irreplaceable? No. But I'd be hard pressed to forgive them.

Until there's a shred of evidence behind that RDJ claim, I'll continue to believe its utter internet horseshit. I'm sure you've noticed that there's no shortage of that when it comes to comic movie rumors. He's been gung ho promoting Iron Man and Avengers as recently as Comic Con and I highly doubt Marvel Studios would be dumb enough to not realize how essential he is at this point.

And I'm not saying they're all one big happy family, just that for the most part everything seems to have been pretty smooth and professional.

212The Avengers Film Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: The Avengers Film Thread Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:27 am

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:
Until there's a shred of evidence behind that RDJ claim, I'll continue to believe its utter internet horseshit. I'm sure you've noticed that there's no shortage of that when it comes to comic movie rumors. He's been gung ho promoting Iron Man and Avengers as recently as Comic Con and I highly doubt Marvel Studios would be dumb enough to not realize how essential he is at this point.

And I'm not saying they're all one big happy family, just that for the most part everything seems to have been pretty smooth and professional.
The point was that this isn't the first time there has been discord between Marvel and movie talent, and so while it may not be 100% verified yet, it's not entirely off-base to believe there could be friction between Marvel and Downey.

213The Avengers Film Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: The Avengers Film Thread Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:35 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Joshua wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:
Studios fast-tracking successful movies' sequels has happened since the dawn of time basically, if Favreau is complaining about that (which who knows if he really even did) then he's in the wrong business.
Just because there is a precedent for studios making idiotic decisions doesn't mean those in the business have to happily oblige them or that what they're doing is even right. The first two Spider-man movies were mostly good because Sam Raimi was allowed to do what he wanted. The studio got involved with the third movie and churned out a complete turd. That's not the first instance of studio involvement torpedoing a project. By and large, when talented creative teams are given the freedom to make the movie they want we end up getting smashing successes, rather than the same bland, generic, formulaic crap studios are prone to produce when they take the reigns.

Have you ever been unhappy with your employer? Are you unjustified in your displeasure or in the wrong business simply because there's a history of employers doing shitty things? No. I don't think there's anything unrealistic about a director expecting to be given a certain amount of control over a project, since that's the job they were hired to do.

But you're missing the point that he and everyone in the freakin world knows that Marvel Studios wants to create a cohesive universe with all these films. He knew what he was signing up for. So if he is complaining after the fact, then I say tough luck, you knew what the deal was.

I also think you're missing the point that Iron Man was a huge success in large part because of Marvel Studios, not in spite of it. They own these charcters. They know them inside out and know how to stay true to the essence of the character unlike any other Hollywood studio before it. If Favreau got the keys to Iron Man at any other studio that didn't know shit about the character and didn't care about staying true to the character, then I'm almost certain he would have made crap movie. They both played big roles in the franchise's success.

214The Avengers Film Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: The Avengers Film Thread Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:39 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Joshua wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:

The point was that this isn't the first time there has been discord between Marvel and movie talent, and so while it may not be 100% verified yet, it's not entirely off-base to believe there could be friction between Marvel and Downey.

Sure it could be possible, anythings possible in showbiz. But it could be just as possible that its complete bull like the Hemsworth/Hopkins false concoction.

215The Avengers Film Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: The Avengers Film Thread Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:19 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

The Avengers...1950s style!

So awesome. thumbs up

216The Avengers Film Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: The Avengers Film Thread Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:38 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Avengers shoot date set: February 2011!

http://movies.ign.com/articles/111/1111479p1.html

217The Avengers Film Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: The Avengers Film Thread Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:40 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Alright, alright, alright...
The Avengers Film Thread - Page 9 Wooderson-785628

218The Avengers Film Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: The Avengers Film Thread Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:13 am

Sandman

Sandman
Ninja
Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:Avengers shoot date set: February 2011!

has the captain america shoot date been set yet?

219The Avengers Film Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: The Avengers Film Thread Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:56 am

Off_White_Lantern

Off_White_Lantern
Pirate
Pirate

Bigtymin504 wrote:
Joshua wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:

But you're missing the point that he and everyone in the freakin world knows that Marvel Studios wants to create a cohesive universe with all these films. He knew what he was signing up for. So if he is complaining after the fact, then I say tough luck, you knew what the deal was.

I also think you're missing the point that Iron Man was a huge success in large part because of Marvel Studios, not in spite of it. They own these charcters. They know them inside out and know how to stay true to the essence of the character unlike any other Hollywood studio before it. If Favreau got the keys to Iron Man at any other studio that didn't know shit about the character and didn't care about staying true to the character, then I'm almost certain he would have made crap movie. They both played big roles in the franchise's success.

lol first and foremost they want to make $$$$ and lots of it. They did fast track Iron Man 2 into a formulaic celebrity name drop sequel we have seen too many times. And it seems they are fast tracking all the Avengers origin movies. Hard to put their heart and soul into that many movies all going on at the same time.

Xmen 1&2, Iron Man 1 and Spidey 1&2 were good the rest: 2 Hulks, 2 Punishers, Elektra, Daredevil, 2 FF's, Ghostrider, Xmen 3 and Wolverine all sucked ass if u are older than 13.

220The Avengers Film Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: The Avengers Film Thread Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:05 am

rwe1138

rwe1138

Sandman wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:Avengers shoot date set: February 2011!

has the captain america shoot date been set yet?
I think they've already started.

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

221The Avengers Film Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: The Avengers Film Thread Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:24 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ Yea, didn't they already have things developing before the Chris Evans' reveal?

222The Avengers Film Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: The Avengers Film Thread Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:06 pm

Paroxysm

Paroxysm
Zombie
Zombie

We're still a few years away from the premiere of "The Avengers," Marvel's blockbuster superhero team-up movie, but that just means we have more time to whet our appetites for the culmination of Marvel's grand movie plans.

As announced during this year's Comic-Con in San Diego, Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Nick Fury, and Hulk won't be the only characters to get the spotlight in the film. Among the new additions to the cast is "The Hurt Locker" star Jeremy Renner, who'll play the team's hotshot marksman, Hawkeye. MTV News caught up with Renner during the press junket for his new film "The Town," and asked him whether we'll see him don Hawkeye's classic purple costume for the film, or whether we'll get a more "Ultimates"-style take on the character.

"I think it's going to be a little more reality-based," said Renner. "You can kind of tell with Scarlett [Johansson]'s character [in 'Iron Man 2'], it's going to be more of a uniform . . . and not a big purple, comics sort of thing."

According to Renner, it's that decision to stray from the classic look that's helped the Marvel movies connect with mainstream audiences.

"That's why I think it's more palatable to audiences — there's almost a sense of reality to these superheroes," he explained. "That's what makes it interesting to me, anyway."

Asked whether Hawkeye and Black Widow will end up romantically involved in the movie as they occasionally have in the comics world, Renner indicated that it was a possibility — but the pair will start off as teammates. Given that hint, it's likely that Hawkeye could be part of Nick Fury's S.H.I.E.L.D. team a la "The Ultimates," but nothing is certain at this point.

"We will [have a relationship], I think, in this one as well," said Renner. "We're kind of a team, and what that relationship is, is still to be discovered."
http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/09/15/jeremy-renner-hawkeye-avengers-costume/

The purple tights would have looked fucking lame, so glad they're going with the "realistic" route.

https://www.facebook.com/people/Matt-Marshall/679612060#!/profile

223The Avengers Film Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: The Avengers Film Thread Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:53 pm

Astro13Zombie

Astro13Zombie
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

shake my head

224The Avengers Film Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: The Avengers Film Thread Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:51 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Paroxysm wrote:
We're still a few years away from the premiere of "The Avengers," Marvel's blockbuster superhero team-up movie, but that just means we have more time to whet our appetites for the culmination of Marvel's grand movie plans.

As announced during this year's Comic-Con in San Diego, Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Nick Fury, and Hulk won't be the only characters to get the spotlight in the film. Among the new additions to the cast is "The Hurt Locker" star Jeremy Renner, who'll play the team's hotshot marksman, Hawkeye. MTV News caught up with Renner during the press junket for his new film "The Town," and asked him whether we'll see him don Hawkeye's classic purple costume for the film, or whether we'll get a more "Ultimates"-style take on the character.

"I think it's going to be a little more reality-based," said Renner. "You can kind of tell with Scarlett [Johansson]'s character [in 'Iron Man 2'], it's going to be more of a uniform . . . and not a big purple, comics sort of thing."

According to Renner, it's that decision to stray from the classic look that's helped the Marvel movies connect with mainstream audiences.

"That's why I think it's more palatable to audiences — there's almost a sense of reality to these superheroes," he explained. "That's what makes it interesting to me, anyway."

Asked whether Hawkeye and Black Widow will end up romantically involved in the movie as they occasionally have in the comics world, Renner indicated that it was a possibility — but the pair will start off as teammates. Given that hint, it's likely that Hawkeye could be part of Nick Fury's S.H.I.E.L.D. team a la "The Ultimates," but nothing is certain at this point.

"We will [have a relationship], I think, in this one as well," said Renner. "We're kind of a team, and what that relationship is, is still to be discovered."
http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/09/15/jeremy-renner-hawkeye-avengers-costume/

The purple tights would have looked fucking lame, so glad they're going with the "realistic" route.

I expected this, it makes the most sense in the world.

Hopefully he has sort of an "Ultimate" look...

The Avengers Film Thread - Page 9 Hawkeye-marvel-comics-5313089-1024-768

225The Avengers Film Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: The Avengers Film Thread Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:23 am

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

The bow could be made to look all kids of bad ass.

The Avengers Film Thread - Page 9 Compound%20bow

Add Hollywood magic to something like this, and whammo!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum